An amusing and funny guide to tabletop rpg alignments.

http://www.d20monkey.com/2014/04/23/a-matter-of-alignment/

I found it fairly accurate and quite funny to glance over.
HavenIshin

Comments

• AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    That awkward moment when you realize your character is Lawful Evil, not Chaotic Evil.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

• edited April 2014
    Ashmer said:
    That awkward moment when you realize your character is Lawful Evil, not Chaotic Evil.
    Lawful Evil is the better alignment anyway. Chaotic Evil makes for some....well, rather compelling villains.

LinAryanne
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Elea's always been Lawful Evil. Though I usually phrase it as Lawful Science or Lawful Ruthless. Silly alignments are so much more descriptive!

AryanneAreka
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Lawful Common Sense. 
    Aryanne

You mean Lawful Troll.

EmelleAryanne
    I think Kaolla is more accurately described by Lawful Troll. If there is an opportunity to troll, she will always troll.

ArekaHaven
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Chaotic good, I suppose, for Moi. In her own head, at least.
  • That's the thing about alignments, though. Ultimately it doesn't matter what the character thinks about their own actions. A paladin could have the best of intentions and still fall, and be utterly blown away by it - simply not understanding that they were wrong about their actions.

Ultimately, though, the problem with these alignments is they're too restrictive. And the games that use them typically have a undeniable ways of being able to determine alignment - detection spells, spells with greater effect/no effect depending on alignment, etc. It leaves no room for grey area.

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Maybe... Chaotic friendly? Amoral good?
    Piper
  • @aishia
    If either of those terms describes always saying the one thing that is guaranteed to confuse me, leaving me with a vague idea that I should be laughing, then yes.

Angwe
    I like the idea of 'chaotic friendly'. It definitely matches the 'HERE IS A GIFT OF FRUIT' thing.

PiperLinJaslineEmelle
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Lin is Chaotic Lin. She doesn't care for the law too much and she acts in a Lin-centric fashion.
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Chaotic Neutral, pretty easily.

(hide your peanut butter)
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Gonna necro this thread, don't care. Comic is awesome!

That aside, I find it really difficult to categorize Haven in these alignments... I'm torn between Lawful Neutral and Chaotic Good. Although he's probably perceived as CE by many people. xD
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    @Haven is obviously Lawful Chaotic.

AryanneHaven
  • He's a bit like Rorschach from Watchmen. And that one is hard to define too.

If we take 'lawful' to mean adhering to society's rules, then he's chaotic.
    If we take 'lawful' to mean adhering to a strong personal code, then he's lawful.
    I think it's the former.

If we take 'good' to mean on the stereotypical good side, then he's good.
    If we take 'good' to mean peaceful and loving, then he's evil.
    This is a tough one because it's common in Aetolian understanding that light != good. But in this case, I"ll take the first interpretation.

So I'd say chaotic good :p
    Haven
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    edited June 2014
    Rorschach is solidly Lawful Neutral. He has his own personal code that he does not flinch or compromise from. Ever. It was demonstrated very clearly at the end of the movie as well. Lawful doesn't always mean that you adhere to the laws of a country or society. It just means you have very clear rules, codes, and modus operandi for how you live and act. The Comedian, on the other hand, would be solidly Chaotic Evil. He has no code, no method of operation. He kills, enjoys it, laughs at it, rapes, and feels pretty much nothing in the way of remorse for his actions. Some say that Rorschach is evil, but he's a bit too grey to be evil.

On the subject of morality, it really depends on whether or not an individuals views morality as relative or universal. For clarification, relative morality refers to the idea that there are different viewpoints. It is like in Eleanor's case where her character would view herself as good and others as evil, though by a universal morality standpoint, Eleanor's ethics would likely portray her to be evil. Granted, Necromancers don't have to be evil. I play a very solidly anti-hero one in Imperian.

In the sense of traditional D&D alignment, you fit your character based on a universal morality standpoint. I can say that in the Planescape setting, it wouldn't matter if your character thought he was good or not by murdering, butchering, and slaughtering. His soul would likely still end up in Baator (the Nine Hells) or the Abyss (Infinite Demon Plane).

Edit: If I had to put my personal take on some of the characters listed previously. Kaolla is Chaotic Neutral to an extreme. Probably to the point where she's flown off the scale. Lin would be true neutral or chaotic neutral as well in my eyes. I'd also say that Moirean is Neutral Evil since she combines impish antics with the personal code and honor of a Carnifex. Carnifex are, by nature, a brutal lot however so she'd be evil by a universal morality standpoint. A lot of characters in Aetolia, in my opinion, walk the grey line. Exceptions would be some Spireans and most Bloodlochians. Bloodlochians are generally on the evil spectrum by their very nature. Bloodloch, as a society and a city, falls under the Lawful Evil spectrum. Aetolia has a very strong relative morality thing though, so... it's all grey when it comes down to it.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Yeah, I don't think anyone who PKs can actually be good by D&D alignments.