Playing Cards

EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
Alright, so if this is in the wrong place I'll get someone with dat modyellow power to move it, but anyway!

Every now and then I get to rolling around in my head the idea of putting together a deck of playing cards, with art I've done for the faces- and because I'm daft, I usually decide that Aetolia-theme would be the way to go, because I can't think of anything else to put on cards.

That brings us to the problem, though, of who to put where, et cetera. So! I thought I'd ask you guys for ideas. I'm not sure if there are 52 Aetolians that people would agree are important to put in, but the discussion of such ought to be a bit of fun. I'm not just looking for face cards, either- the printing place I've been eyeballing would allow me to do a fully customised deck, so that means number cards are go as well!

The other thing I thought might help trigger some interesting thought processes is to point out that, like real-world tarot, the cards of a standard playing deck can also be assigned meanings. Here's a list I googled up real quick, but if the fancy takes you I'm sure you could find others elsewhere too. Some of those meanings lend themselves to perhaps having more than one person on one card, so famous couples/pairs/whatever could be a thing as well?

I'm hoping to get some discussion going and a bunch of ideas floating around- ideally, with a few different options for each card so I can pick and choose what I think I'd be able to draw best (and what I thought, thematically, would work best). There's the idea of assigning a suit to each city, or something similar, but right now I don't want to place those restrictions outright, and just see what this thread turns up!

In regard to the actual art- well, it's likely to be a longterm thing, but I will keep people posted if I do end up getting my act together. I was thinking I'd offer some options for people who've gotten into the lineup to be able to buy a copy of the artwork, but that's something I'll properly figure out if I can get a list of what all I'm drawing. And there's the actual playing cards themselves, of course, but whether or not those are being sold or given as ~christmas presents~ or whathaveyou depends on whether I end up using NPCs and stuff (and therefore using IRE IP).

TL;DR: Tell me what characters you think should go where in a pack of custom playing cards! You can come in and say "I think my character should be the Queen of Hearts" or whatever and leave it at that, but I'd prefer a bit more material if you fancy putting some thought into it. Cheers!

HaydynLinKiyotanErzsebetAmara

Comments

• SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    inb4 ego stroking and everyone thinking they should be a face card.

So long as Daskalos is a Joker, I'm content.

Divide up the suits by orgs. Make Duiran Hearts (cause mudsex), Enorian can be Diamonds, Spinesreach can be Spades (cause farmers), Bloodloch can be Clubs (cause ooga booga club wife drag back to cave).
    Kiyotan
  • edited January 2013

imageimage
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    I'm expecting at least a little bit of wank re: everyone wanting to be a face card, but hoping that people will think beyond that a bit. It's okay for the thread to be a bit indulgent, though, it's partly for ideas and partly just a bit of fun!

I had the suggestion for Ferrik to be a joker and I think that's pretty solid because he's the silliest, happiest thing in the universe. Maghak as the king of clubs and Kelliara as the queen of spades already exist as items within the game, so those were a couple of ideas I had floating around.

Also people can PM me ideas if they don't want to post them in the thread here.

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    edited January 2013
    Oh hell yes, I want a feral Duiran!Lin in the Hearts suit.

Also, I know a lot of people criticize Kira for her crafting habits... but who more perfect for the Queen of Diamonds?
  • Well, most decks come with a trademark joker and a non-trademark joker, so you could do two.

For the face cards I would suggest using gods. This would work well especially if you tied each of the suits by org - Haern, Omei, Dhar for Duiran, Ivoln, Chakrasul, Iosyne for Bloodloch, Damariel, Auresae, Slyphe for Enorian and Severn, Niuri, Maghak for Spinesreach. For the aces...something that depicts the city in general. Could be an Earthen Wyrm for Bloodloch and an Durdalis for Duiran and something equally appropriate for Enorian and Spines (maybe the triad of angels for Enorian and I don't really know for Spinesreach). Then perhaps current influential or historically important characters from each city's history.

ZunLinArbreIosyneAldric
    The influential-or-historically-important part is where I fall on my face- I'm actually kind of an enormous nublet when it comes to Golden Age Aetolia history etc.

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Definitely make the face cards Gods, they're the head haunchos here.

I'm going to make multiple posts here.  Some of these are stretching it a bit.

Lady Lleis: Ace of Hearts Love and happiness. The home, a love letter. This card is a particularly favorable card that indicates troubles and problems lifting.
    Lord Dhar: King of Hearts A fair-haired man with a good nature; or a man with Water signs predominating in his chart. Fair, helpful advice. Affectionate, caring man. This man helps you out without much talk. His actions reveal his kindness and concern.
    Lady Omei: Queen of Hearts A fair-haired woman with a good nature; or a woman with Water signs predominating in her chart. Kind advice. Affectionate, caring woman. Sometimes, this card can indicate the mother or a mother figure. Look, I just don't even know.  She used to be nice?
    Lord Haern: Jack of Hearts A warm-hearted friend. A fair-haired youth; or a young person with Water signs predominating in his or her chart. Often this points to a younger admirer.
      It's hard to put some of the Gods into love signs.

Lady Chakrasul: Ace of Clubs Wealth, prosperity, unexpected money/gain. However, in a difficult spread, this money may disappear almost as quickly as it appears.  Gain and loss, sounds like you've been screwed.
    Lord Ivoln: King of Clubs Dark-haired, kind-hearted man; or a man with Fire predominating in his chart. A generous, spirited man.  He's a man?  I don't know much about His tenets or anything.
    Lady Iosyne: Queen of Clubs Dark-haired, confident woman; or a woman with Fire predominating in her chart. She may give you good advice.  I don't really have a good reason for this one.
    Lady Khepri: Jack of Clubs A dark-haired or fiery youth. Popular youth who is good-hearted and playful. Can also indicate an admirer.

Lord Severn: Ace of Spades Misfortune; sometimes associated with death or, more often, a difficult ending.
    Lord Maghak: King of Spades Dark-haired man; or a man with Air predominating in his chart. An ambitious man, perhaps self-serving.
    Lady Niuri: Queen of Spades Widowed or divorced woman; or a woman with Air predominating in her chart.
    Lord Galleus: Jack of Spades A youth who is hostile or jealous.
    I'm running out of Gods, Xavin's plan might be better.

Lord Slyphe: Ace of Diamonds Change; a message, often about money, and usually good news.
    Lord Damariel: King of Diamonds Fair-haired or graying man, or a man with Earth predominating in his chart. A man of authority, status, or influence.
    Lord Arion: Queen of Diamonds Fair-haired woman; or a woman with Earth predominating in her chart. A gossip.  Not exactly a lady (maybe I should have put Slyphe here >.>) but the gossip would have been ABOUT Him, when He was doing all of that crazy Bloodloch stuff.
    Lady Auresae: Jack of Diamonds A youth, possibly in uniform. Or, a jealous person who may be unreliable. A person who brings news, generally negative, but relatively minor.

• Hrm. That would be troubling, yeah. And it would be very difficult to get descriptions of characters belonging to people that no longer play. I would think that Desian would need to be in the Bloodloch suit. Acino, maybe? Abhorash would be a good idea too, though I'm not sure if you would want to include him or not since psudo-npc.

Bloodloch

10 of Clubs Business success. Good luck with money. A trip taken now may result in a new friend or love interest.
    Darliea: 9 of Clubs Achievement; sometimes a wealthy marriage or a sudden windfall.
    8 of Clubs Work/business problems that may have to do with jealousy. This is generally thought to be quite unfavorable.

Desian Arcan: 7 of Clubs Business success, although there may be problems with the opposite sex. A change in business that may have been expected or earned, such as a promotion.  Running Bloodloch and problems with Jawlene.
    6 of Clubs Financial aid or success.
    Erzsebet: 5 of Clubs New friendships, alliances are made.
    4 of Clubs Beware of dishonesty or deceit; avoid blind acceptance of others at this time. 
    Neoma Krogh: 3 of Clubs Love and happiness; successful marriage; a favorable long-term proposition. A second chance, particularly in an economical sense.  And third, and forth, and how many times have you been Overlord now?
    2 of Clubs Obstacles to success; malicious gossip.

Spinesreach

10 of Spades Worry; bad news.
    9 of Spades Illness, accident, bad luck. The querent is at his/her personal low.
    8 of Spades Temptation, misfortune, danger, upsets.
    7 of Spades Advice that is best not taken; loss. There is some obstacle to success, and this indicates that obstacles may be coming from within the querent.
    6 of Spades Small changes and improvements.
    5 of Spades Opposition and obstacles that are temporary; a blessing in disguise. Sometimes indicates a negative or depressed person.
    4 of Spades Small worries, problems. Financial difficulties, personal lows.
    3 of Spades Breaks in relationships. Sometimes indicates that a third person is breaking into a relationship somehow.
    Elene Arcan: 2 of Spades Breaks in relationships; deceit. A break in an important process in the querent's life. If the question concerns a particular romantic interest, this is considered a warning card - infidelity or separation is quite likely.
    Xavin said:
    And it would be very difficult to get descriptions of characters belonging to people that no longer play.

No worries, I got this.

Also I probably could get away with making the ace the actual city, or something. For each one. Scenery!

OrisaeHaven
    Duiran

Sibatti Esrytesh dur Naya: 10 of Hearts Good luck, success. This is an important card that suggests good fortune after difficulty.
    9 of Hearts The card of wishes. A wish/dream fulfilled. Look to the card just preceding this one to determine what the querent desires.
    8 of Hearts Unexpected gift or visit; an invitation to a party.
    7 of Hearts Someone whose interest in you is unreliable; someone with fickle affections for you. This card can indicate lovesickness.
    Kiyotan dur Naya: 6 of Hearts A sudden wave of good luck. Someone takes care of you, takes warm interest in you.
    Lin al-Akir: 5 of Hearts Jealousy; some ill-will from people around you.  I'm not certain if this is the best for you or not.
    Arbre Aquila: 4 of Hearts Travel, change of home or business.  Yes, this applies to half of Duiran, but I'm being egotistical.
    3 of Hearts Love and happiness when the entire spread is generally favorable. In a difficult spread, this can indicate emotional problems and an inability to decide who to love.
    2 of Hearts A warm partnership or engagement. This is a very favorable card that indicates strength and support coming from a partner.

• I love that idea! I'm such a sucker for cityscape pictures.

Maybe, as I sent to Eleanor in a PM, we could also have the city tutors along in the aces or something?
    Enorian

10 of Diamonds A change in financial status, often for the better.
    Aren Yaslana: 9 of Diamonds A new business deal; travel; restlessness; a change of residence.
    8 of Diamonds New job; change in job situation. The young or the old may find love on a trip.
    Daskalos Qefin: 7 of Diamonds An argument concerning finances, or on the job. Generally expected to be resolved happily.
    6 of Diamonds Relationship problems, arguments. Separation.
    5 of Diamonds Happiness and success. A change for the better. A birth, or good news for a child. A good time to start new projects.
    4 of Diamonds Financial upswing; an older person may give good advice.
    3 of Diamonds A legal letter. Be tactful with others in order to avoid disputes.
    2 of Diamonds A business partnership; a change in relationship; gossip.

Some of those I struggled a lot on, I'm sure people in those orgs, especially who have been there for a long time, can come up with better ideas.  If there's some good ones, I'll edit and update it.
    Snerk, Elea could go nine of spades if you consider the frequency with which she gets herself or things around her blown up. Accidents!

• Based on Arbre's, I suppose Zun would be the five of Spades. I'm pretty fond of her arrangement, all things considered. Though I was looking forward to being the Jack!
    Orisae
  • edited January 2013
    As someone who reads tarot, I immediately wanted to just post a list of the cups, wands, coins, swords, arcana, and minor arcana but then I realized this was playing cards. It wouldn't be hard to just re-name the suits in accordance to playing cards. Its going to take me a hot minute to do it, though. Would that help, Elea? I want to make sure its something that could be used before I attempt it. 

Also, I'm about 95% sure that Val would be a heart. 

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

Walp, this list of playing card meanings is essentially tarot without the major arcana anyway.

It all cross-references- pretty sure I read somewhere that modern playing cards evolved because it was common to carry your own set of divining cards but it wasn't too hot to get accused of witchcraft, so HEY LOOK IT'S A GAME OK DON'T BURN ME etc.

• KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Please, please, please. If you're going to make Gods the face cards PLEASE make Haern be a Queen. 
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    LinInfin
    edited January 2013
    Here is my list of suggestions. The only criteria I used in selecting these names was my own concept of who best represents the cities' ideals, strength, history, and notoriety. Kiyotan is the only exception, since he is a nobody.

Hearts
    Ace: Duiran
    King: Haern
    Queen: Lleis
    Jack: Dhar
    Ten: Sibatti
    Nine: Serrice
    Eight: Irruel
    Seven: Arbre
    Six: Moirean
    Five: Xon
    Four: Wylliam & Fanico
    Three: Rosalind
    Two: Brunneng

Diamonds
    Ace: Enorian
    King: Damariel
    Queen: Auresae
    Jack: Slyphe
    Ten: Daskalos
    Nine: Cuchulainn
    Eight: Kiyotan
    Seven: Kylan
    Six: Areka
    Five: Gepideth
    Four: Edhain
    Three: Hadoryu
    Two: Quanshee

Clubs
    Ace: Bloodloch
    King: Ivoln
    Queen: Iosyne
    Jack: Chakrasul
    Ten: Desian
    Nine: Mazzion
    Eight: Acino
    Seven: Xavin
    Six: Borscin
    Five: Tralendar
    Four: Darliea
    Three: Abhorash
    Two: Zephy

Spades
    Ace: Spinesreach
    King: Severn
    Queen: Niuri
    Jack: Maghak
    Ten: Sryaen
    Nine: Akaryuterra & Eleanor
    Eight: Vasilus
    Seven: Osifer
    Six: Elene
    Five: Villi
    Four: Klonk
    Three: Lin
    Two: Zahmekoses

Joker 1: Ferrik
    Joker 2: Alexina
    AldricXavinEsperIosyneEdhain
    This list is purely based on my personal opinion. The numbers mean nothing, I only listed the names as I thought of them. Feel free to shuffle them around or swap out names however you like. Again, this is just my opinion, don't no one get butthurt, kk?
  • edited January 2013

I want to be the joker :(

Waits for it.... as he leaves himself open >.<

Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
    so far the proportion of suggested jokers outstrips all other suggested cards.

• I just like the idea, it would be cool to see a deck made at all. Although my ego would love to be in it :P
    Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
  • 10 of spades- Worry; bad news. ELANTH
    8 of Spades- Temptation, misfortune, danger, upsets. VILLI
    7 of Spaces- Advice that is best not taken; loss. There is some obstacle to success, and this indicates that obstacles may be coming from within the querent. ISHIN
    4 of Spades Small worries, problems. Financial difficulties, personal lows. LAIKAHRA
    3 of Spades- Breaks in relationships. Sometimes indicates that a third person is breaking into a relationship somehow. LUNA
    2 of Spades- Breaks in relationships; deceit. A break in an important process in the querent's life. LIN

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    I'm kind of divided on this. It seems like spades and clubs have inherently negative meanings while hearts and diamonds are more positive. While that might work from the moral perspective we have out of the game, I think a lot of the RP -characters- have in their lives (regardless of their game side) is a lot more gray than the card meanings suggest. I guess to me it would make more sense to either match character directly to meanings OR let the numbers serve as a measure of fame/notoriety, but not try to go with both.
    Yeah, I won't be using the meanings as a hard and fast ruleset- it's more that I put it up there to provide a little inspiration.

Though the King of Spades is pretty unbelievably perfect for Maghak.

• Wow Kiyo, I'm flattered.

This is a very cool idea Elea.

I also like the plan to divide the suits by city. Also that the Divine should have the King/Queen/Jack cards. That gives it some kind of feeling of order that is nice.  It's cool also to base it off "notable" people, but the thing is, there are a ton of "notable" people, way more than playing cards, so that's going to be tricky...

Didi for Joker. :D

I've had a lot of people encouraging me to just go with what I want to do rather than the 'ultimate notable' people- I think I'm going to keep it as close to a definitive list of important-historically people that I can, though. I'm actually considering seeing if I can get this out before the year 400 rolls around, make it a special aetolia-anniversary thing so to speak.

It'd be a help to me, though, if people could list a bunch of important characters by faction for me, so I've got a bit of elbow room with plenty of names to choose from! It'll also give me a sense of who the most people think is important.

In other news, they're bad screencaps but I have a prototype front and back made up. IRC has seen this, but I thought I'd pop it here for the forumgoers as well! Feel free to post with your thoughts on 'em.

[spoiler] image

(That's a placeholder picture, I'll be doing a new one for the real maghak card)

(There's a version with a border on it too, not sure which one I like more yet)[/spoiler]

ZunEdhainAmaraCiarelleLunaAlycenaInfin