Spam Slaying

I'm wondering how you guys deal with spam. I'm going to share my ideas, both executed and planned.

Done so far:
1. What I call "push to next line." Example:
You have recovered balance on all limbs.
Laying your bone dagger flat upon your palm, you flick it sharply towards a common man. The blade speeds through the air and shatters on impact, before suddenly reappearing in your hand.
H:94, M:94, E:89, W:99, (b) [e-] Balance Used: 3.50.
--
H:98, M:100, E:89, W:100, (b) [eb] Damage taken: 85. (putrefaction)
H:100, M:100, E:89, W:100, (b) [eb] Health gain: 85.
2. Line shortening / replacing:
You expend some mana to clot your wounds.
That's about 1/3rd the length of the standard message.

3. Gags.

Do you guys have any other things that you do?

I have found that combining these techniques together can really reduce the spam significantly without costing me in terms of information. For example, I gagged putrefaction and the damage number messages, then pushed them over to the next line.

What I want to do:
I want to make a thing that concentrates multiple attacks into a single message, mostly for team combat.
So, after a certain number of third party attacks, it would start gagging them and releasing a general message every X seconds.

So, every 4 seconds it would say something like "An eld is being attacked by a X, Y and Z." Eventually with color coding based upon the identities of the attackers. This mode would start once a certain number of third-party attack messages is received (probably more than 2 within 5 seconds).

Comments

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    edited June 2014
    The problem you're going to run into is you need to have some big team combat spam... the fact is, it's almost impossible to process the data at the rate it flies at you. Join some leyline lesser for an example. I'm not sure the gagging is going to help you.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    Leylines will cause you to lag out big time if you gag everything.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

Sheirosia
  • That is what I want to beat :) I think that with an aff tracker up and echoing separately after a prompt, the team combat spam messages could be done away with.
  • Riluo said:

Leylines will cause you to lag out big time if you gag everything.

Even in mudlet? I thought mudlet was unstoppable!
  • Are you aware of the TUNNELVISION skill? It may help you out just somewhat here, but I'm not entirely sure.

• Hi @Knick, I don't know how long you've been gone, but are you familiar with the Tunnelvision ability in Vision? It's a tool to greatly reduce unneeded spam in team combat conditions.

i am rapture coder
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I heard you like tunnelvision.
    Lim
  • I had forgotten that exists! Still, I don't think I will use it. My spam slayer will be even better than that!
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Offer a man a meal ticket, and he will say, NAY, IF I CANNOT EAT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE, THEN I SHALL NOT EAT AT ALL!
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    ArekaOmeiFurtum
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    @omei, @slyphe -- Tunnelvision is great if you're doing a straight damage offense, but if you're doing any sort of affliction offense you can't afford to turn it on because you only see -your- attacks on the target, which means you could end up doing redundant afflictions, thus ruining team synergy.

In the future, my hope is that there becomes another option - TUNNELVISION @TAR 3rd which shows not just what you do to the target, but what others do to the target as well. Right now, there's a ton of drawbacks to the skill, unfortunately. I usually just turn on my offense, because even though the screen refresh doesn't keep up the scripts do in the background, and I just hope I scripted good enough to get kills in big team combat.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Eh, tunnelvision doesn't reduce the wordiness of lines. It ignores stuff going on except to you, which hinders you pretty badly in a team fight. What he's looking for is CONFIG COMBATMESSAGES. This system takes the verbose skill message and replaces it with a generic (and colored) one that is much shorter. It's not fully implemented yet, however, as there are lots of skills to cover!
  • You guys will see, I will be the one to slay spam.
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    That's the spirit.
  • SheirosiaSheirosia Sheffield, UK.
    Mudlet will be fine with excessive gagging so long as you don't fall back onto deleteLine() - Go with selectString() and replace() instead.
  • Sheirosia said:

Mudlet will be fine with excessive gagging so long as you don't fall back onto deleteLine() - Go with selectString() and replace() instead.

Uh oh, I've been using deleteLine() a lot. So selectString() and replace() are faster? Can you actually gag a line with replace()?
    I wouldn't say faster. I'd actually say that deleteLine() was the faster, given how it's a raw C++ function that is not relying on a substring match like selectString() does. The latter is definitely better with regards to stability, however. It's a little more difficult to 'gag' with it, but still possible.
  • I'm not following you unfortunately, I don't understand how stability is an issue with mudlet.
    I have found that when using deleteLine() excessively, while in a spammy group fight can cause random lines infrequently to simply get 'ignored'.
  • I use multistate triggers to reduce combos to a single line.

Some of those combos would otherwise be 12 or more lines long.

It'd be nice if combat messages could do that automatically, but unless/until they can show:

the inline envenom info
    miss, dodge, divert, rebound, my discernment of the venom coming off, the balance used and whatever else is in there, then all it is is another line for me to sub out!

I want a single line saying:

Dhuriv slash/slice stupidity/paresis, hit Moirean but diverted (2.4s)

• The other thing I do, is NOT have my system echo stuff to me on new lines. I don't need:

Info: Tripwire: +DEF saliva
    (or whatever it is. Going from memory here).

My own system, when I still used it, mimicked mudbot/IMTS echoes, which were almost all short and appended on the prompt.

I've put quite a bit of effort into modding tripwire to do the same, but I've only managed to get about a third of them onto the prompt where they belong.

As far as I know, every other system is spam-happy with their system messages. Some less so than others, admittedly.
    Why is Irruel stabbing me :(
    Alee
  • @moirean you were obviously a suitable sheath for his blade.
    Haven
    Awkwaaaaard....
    Ishin