Quick RP Questions

Comments

• RliftRlift SC
    edited November 2013
    Ok, let me clear up a few things.

1) I'm concerned about the deletions #1 because unless you have the names of the other 2 guilds that are getting the axe, the Daru are still in danger #2 I've gone through it as a player that was working with the admin to add things to the game and one day its just gone, over and done with without any warning.. and it just hurts to see it all disappear with no fruit being bore, especially when you see similar things come up in new classes.

2) It's not just it being a syssin thing, because I will probably never get the skills, but as a player I think it's wrong to force people that bought credits for skills, not to use them. Now that there is reason via game mechanics and possible RP for using them for the light behind it, it makes even less sense to me to continue to force them out of the money they spent. It will just drive people away from the guild or from ever joining it.

3) I'm just kinda stuck.. I think I've backed myself into a corner that will allow someone to contest Infin, win, and outguild us for our beliefs. If that does or doesn't happen, I just don't know where to go from here either way.
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Anytime you do something for your org, there's always the chance that it's either not going to be remembered or might get destroyed one day. Who knows when the next big event is going to destroy a huge chunk of your city and do away with everything you've worked so hard to build. But if you knew it was coming, but didn't know when, would that stop you from trying to make things fun for you now? Would you rather just sit around and be miserable or bored until that big calamity arrives?

In regards to RP, there's a reason why I say to not put all of your eggs into one basket. Let's say your character's a hardcore Daru. You can only ever see them as Daru, and if the guild were to suddenly explode and not exist anymore, you'd feel your character is ruined. I'm sorry to tell you this, but your character is more than just their class or their guild, though those things might probably help shape and define them, but if those are the ONLY things doing that, you might run into problems. If you suddenly find yourself without a guild? Treat it as an opportunity to have the character grow and develop instead of 'omg ruined forever'. You'd be surprised at how much you can get a character to stick close to their roots even if they've been removed from them.

As far as the Daru go, I think the reason why the guild might feel stagnant is because it hasn't really acclimated as well to how the game environment has shifted over the years, and also because (and I know I'm going to piss people off for saying this) there are very few people who can pull off the zealot mindset well. As it is, the whole zealot thing tends to come off as really preachy and uninteresting, and there's probably a lot of things that are turn-offs to prospective new members.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    If the Daru get nixed it isn't the end of the world. It's the zealots mindset, not skills, that you RP. You carry that with you regardless of class
    Furtum
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    edited November 2013
    Rlift said:
    1) I'm concerned about the deletions #1 because unless you have the names of the other 2 guilds that are getting the axe, the Daru are still in danger #2 I've gone through it as a player that was working with the admin to add things to the game and one day its just gone, over and done with without any warning.. and it just hurts to see it all disappear with no fruit being bore, especially when you see similar things come up in new classes.
    I don't want to be a jerk, but I don't know how to say this without being one, so sorry in advance.  But @Rlift, you're being really dumb with this.  By this theory -ANY- guild could be next on the chopping block.  @Mariena and I have been working our bums off to bring life back into the Shamwow and by your theory they could be gone next.  I can't sit here and live my life waiting for what ifs.  It doesn't take the admin to destroy your work, I've griped to @Xavin in the past before that I've done really hard work in a guild or House and as soon as I leave or step down someone tears it right up.  That's simply how this game is played.  Everyone has their idea of what is best for their organization and if you give them the power to enact it, they'll likely tear your stuff apart.

You have no VALID reason to believe they're gonna be next and you have all the reason in the world to think that even if they ARE next, it'll be YEARS down the road.  That's years of fun you could be having playing your little zealot how you like.  Quit worrying and do what's fun.
    AngweAryanneFurtum
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Iosyne said:
    Macian said:
    Yeah, I definitely remember a couple of people losing their angels due to "corrupting" them. 

For Macian in particular, I was thinking more of a reflection of his change to Duiran and the Shamans. If he's really focused on the spirits of Dendara, then it makes sense to me that the angel might change to reflect that.
    Just to clarify (because this has come up a few times in the past), your angel can't be 'fae' or anything implying it's a forest spirit. Angels and Fae creatures come from different planes, and have different origin stories.
    I tried to have a fae angel...
    >.>

But....I do have a neat Angel, that is pretty similar...actually its kinda like Navi from OoT....

"angel76175"             a diminutive verdant angel.

Leaving trails of light in its wake, a verdant angel darts about on crystalline wings.

Exuding a phosphorescent verdant light, this incarnation of a diminutive angel serves as a sworn 
    protector and symbol of the favour the Gods extend to those who dedicate their lives to the pursuit 
    of holiness. Its tiny, roughly humanoid shape flits about on small crystalline wings, boisterously 
    moving about so quickly that trails of light can briefly be seen in its wake as it darts about. Born 
    of matter that is utterly apart from the physical, tiny coruscating points of light sparkle over the 
    surface of this divine being.

So I mean you can give it a little special flair, the other one was far more fae like, but it was easy enough to give it flavor without ruining my whole idea.
  • @aarbrok that's very similar to mine, though mine has more of a Luminary feel, since Macian was GM when I wrote the description...

guardian angel98861"    a diminutive angel.

Not more than a foot in height, this tiny figure shines with a fierce light. Its wings, fully as long as it is tall, are a blur of motion as they keep it aloft. Though the light is too bright to make out specific details, some kind of armor protects its body from harm, and at its side is belted a mace. It is clear that, though small, this being is a warrior.
    AarbrokAlice
  • I guess I'm a couple days late to this party, but @Rlift I think all the conflict in the Daru of late has made it way more fun and more interesting to log in. It's a very conservative org, which one should not equate with stagnant (though I suppose it gets that way, too). Bringing in alternative ideas is going to be met with resistance. That doesn't mean things can't change or that folks who've been around for eleventy-bazillion IG years are going to get kicked out because they have a different idea. So do what ya do, dude, and have fun with it.
  • If anyone's interested, here's what I came up with for the angel (just got it approved):

Clad in tattered splintmail, a small winged angel flits about.

A little over a foot in height, this tiny angel looks rather worse for wear. She is clad in a tattered suit of rust-spotted splintmail, repaired many times with lengths of vine and slivers of hardwood. A tiny mace hangs at her side, dangling from a rope belt. Her wings are ragged, but appear fully functional. They move in a blur as they keep her aloft, and emit a faint green glow. Her size and rapid movement prevent you from making out any further details.
    AngweVolka
  • edited May 2014
    Couldn't really find a related thread since I don't have a log, and don't think its such a huge thing to ask. I'm sort of still fishing around IG of course, but looking to play something out in particular that I think could be fun.
    I'm trying to see about Alice's past and kind of give it some substance to 'reality' (IG reality, rather) but generally looking to do some sciencey-stuff since Alice is kind of a strange.. Thing, need someone to play the part of neutral bad-guy creator. This is not limited to factions or orgs if someone steps up to it, and its probably a mildly disturbing Long-term RP (in a Stephen King's the Shining type fashion). >.> I've been trying to get a feel around but being a vamp is hard! *whine about work, scrolls, tasks and @ilyon* (jk much <3 Ilyon :P .) ANYWAYS just drop an IG message if you want details or have an idea to throw at me about it :) Cheers Edit: or even better just come at Ali ICly about it, I'm not easily put-off

• Alice said:

Couldn't really find a related thread since I don't have a log, and don't think its such a huge thing to ask. I'm sort of still fishing around IG of course, but looking to play something out in particular that I think could be fun.
    I'm trying to see about Alice's past and kind of give it some substance to 'reality' (IG reality, rather) but generally looking to do some sciencey-stuff since Alice is kind of a strange.. Thing, need someone to play the part of neutral bad-guy creator. This is not limited to factions or orgs if someone steps up to it, and its probably a mildly disturbing Long-term RP (in a Stephen King's the Shining type fashion). >.> I've been trying to get a feel around but being a vamp is hard! *whine about work, scrolls, tasks and @ilyon* (jk much <3 Ilyon :P .) ANYWAYS just drop an IG message if you want details or have an idea to throw at me about it :) Cheers </p>

@Alice Try finding a Cabalists....

AliceMoireanAryanne
  • I've had a few occasions where I wanted to use words that have a root word 'human' - like 'humane' or 'humanity', to connote a meanings along the lines of to 'human weakness' or 'a heart'.

However, I thought it was a bit too race-centric in the context of Aetolia - seeing as humans are seen as a race and not a species.

The closest I can think of it to try and find ways to work in substitutes like 'mortality' and 'sentience', etc. But those aren't really accurate substitutes.

Any ideas on what I can use to express this meaning?
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    It's a nice thought, but I don't think any is such a RP policer that they'd care or even really notice. I'd just use the terms, myself.
    HavenArbreEmelle
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    One important thing I like to factor in to my RP and speech, is that Aetolian is not English! Sure you're speaking out your says and tells and emotes in English, but it's really Aetolian your CHARACTER is speaking, so whatever you say is being translated, then translated back for understanding to other players. Maybe it's not true, but headcannon is best cannon.
    HavenArbreEmelleAryanneFurtumElie
  • Aishia said:

One important thing I like to factor in to my RP and speech, is that Aetolian is not English! Sure you're speaking out your says and tells and emotes in English, but it's really Aetolian your CHARACTER is speaking, so whatever you say is being translated, then translated back for understanding to other players. Maybe it's not true, but headcannon is best cannon.

This is pretty much a thing! I mean, otherwise, the whole range of languages is pointless.

• So basically everyone's got a babelfish in our ear :) fair enough.
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    @Lim I've actually use 'humanity' and 'human being' to refer to the general living races of Sapience, bro. The species/subspecies are different, but I still feel that they all fall under the categories of 'mankind' and 'humanity'. The Human race/subrace just happens to share the same name.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    TeaniOmeiLim
  • That is how I interpret it myself. I think in Aetolia, "human" would be something of slang.

i am rapture coder
    IshinLimFurtumElie
  • edited May 2014
    Personally, I try to put on a Tsol'aa lens when using phrases or words like that. Since my character is Tsol'aa, her perspective would be Tsol'aan (is that even the right word?) as well. Humans may speak of humanity, the humane, and humankind, but I will say something like, 'By Tsol'aa standards, this would be an atrocious acts." or "In the Aalen, it would be considered an act of kindness and mercy to put down a wounded animals."
    Lim
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    OK. I will own up. I actually get a wierd feeling whenever someone uses human or humane in their roleplay when they're talking with a mixed group. I'm sorry.

That's why I tend to do 'mortals' and 'mortal creatures' or something like that.
    ArekaLimMinaraelIshinAryanne
  • I'm cool with that. I just get the hairy eye when people say things like howdy or gratz and shit over CT.
    Areka
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Only person I'm cool with saying Howdy is Cole.
    OmeiSolariaPeriluna
    I totally say howdy and sup. :(
  • Humans don't have a racial language, do they? If so, then I presume they're responsible for the Aetolian language. And if so, the anthropocentrism could even be because explained because the human race was the dominant race that used and created the Aetolian language.

In the same way, we get gender-biased terms in the English language - 'chairman', 'guys', 'mankind'. Depends on who's got the power when the language is created/evolving.
    PiperArekaAryanne
    It's only chairman because I'm going through an experimental phase.
    SetneArbreOmeiIshinFurtum
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Lim said:

Humans don't have a racial language, do they? If so, then I presume they're responsible for the Aetolian language. And if so, the anthropocentrism could even be because explained because the human race was the dominant race that used and created the Aetolian language.

In the same way, we get gender-biased terms in the English language - 'chairman', 'guys', 'mankind'. Depends on who's got the power when the language is created/evolving.

Damariel said:

Haven said:
    What's the dominant race in Sapience? Like the one with the largest population/greatest influence? I don't think there is one race...I want to say Sapience has always been org-centric lorewise as opposed to race...right? o.o

This is an interesting question, so I am porting it over from the rage thread and spitballing what I think the answer is.

In short: it depends. Overall, in the present day of Aetolia, Humans would undoubtedly claim the title. You'd probably find a Human majority in a lot of the villages, especially the further south you go; north, Humans form a smaller section of the population. You can observe this in the form of Duiran having a lot of fae creatures, for example - and Spinesreach, both in its NPC and PC population, features a disproportionate amount of Xorani and Trolls.

Also worth pointing out is the fact that there are quite a lot of NPCs who are described ambiguously - the presumption in ambiguous cases is Human, but I would invite you to challenge yourself to see these NPCs other ways.

Many of the race's origin stories presume Human as a starting point, with the other races being special cases; but it is arguable whether there is anything to most of these origin stories. They may be 'just so' stories, told to explain differences between mortals that are not well understood.

The fact remains that according to help files, Humans were not always the dominant race, and probably arose as such during the Third Mortal Epoch owing to a combination of factors. During the First and Second Mortal Epochs, other non-Human empires rose and fell, most notably the Indorani Empire - which was in no way majority Human. Although Humans (or at least, human-like people) formed the core of the ruling class, said empire also used Dwarves, Ophidians, Rajamala, Trolls, Orcs, Ogres, and lots of other southwestern populations as enforcers, shock troops, assassins, spies, and everyday administrators. At that point in Aetolian history, Humans were pretty spread out, with their largest population center in Thera. It's likely that the eastern coast of Aetolia was inhabited by Kelki and Grook majorities, with smatterings of other races.

So in addition to Humans breeding very, very fast, the war between the Indorani and the warriors of Light probably did a lot to significantly diminish various southern populations; if you think that a war occurring centuries ago would have a negligible impact upon present-day populations, bear in mind that there are parts of the world that are still thought to suffer from poverty because of Genghis Khan's brutal methods of conquest - and the Mongol hordes didn't even have supernatural magic on their side, just a lot of guys with horses and bows. That, plus Ankyrean influence (and subsequent Ankyrean wars) probably accounts for the now-massive population disparity that we see, and the prevalence of Humans in all corners of the world - the great majority of Humans didn't fall within the direct radius of the Indorani or the Ankyreans, and so they didn't suffer the worst of either dystopic reign. Other races, with more localized populations, tended to get hit harder when bad times came their way.

Disclaimer: This is not official lore, just my own speculation based on what we know at present.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Lim
  • I find mortals, or in Alice's case "breathers" and "the living" a good definition, and vice-versa, "Undead" as they're both appropriate to the position of a character in relation to others in the game as well as impartial to the races. If I were not undead, I'd say "the undead" or something. Its really narrow I guess to imply, but I'm still also learning In-Game what truly separates the various choices/paths in life.

• This has been bugging me since Imperian, twleve years ago.

II'm currently under the impression that our one star in the center of our cluster of planets in named the Sun. Sun is a name. It shouldn't be used as a generic term for stars. Yet we do that in lots of environment messages and descriptions (warmth of the sun, rays of the sun, sunlight).

I haven't actually checked what the name of Aetolia's star is though.

So...

I mean, you know, an amount.

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    ...so the sun is still the sun. Sun's just a star. For example, the one just outside of your window is 'our sun'. Or, 'the sun', depending on perspective. Then there are other stars, which could probably be called 'that sun' or 'their sun' or anything else like that. It's also entirely possible that our 'stars' aren't like RL stars at all, but are something else entirely, so it's really dependent upon the game universe's lore.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Reux said:

This has been bugging me since Imperian, twleve years ago.

II'm currently under the impression that our one star in the center of our cluster of planets in named the Sun. Sun is a name. It shouldn't be used as a generic term for stars. Yet we do that in lots of environment messages and descriptions (warmth of the sun, rays of the sun, sunlight).

I haven't actually checked what the name of Aetolia's star is though.

So...

To be fair, it's relatively common to use 'sun' (common noun) as a general term for a star as it relates to the planets of its solar system. Sun (proper noun) is indeed what we call our own central star, but especially in science fiction the common usage is accepted and standard.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • "Suns" are also used to refer to the central stars of other galaxies, and is an accepted term in astronomy.

i am rapture coder