Serenity System

AshmerAshmer Barefoot AdventurerLife

I'm pleased to announce that Serenity is now available for purchase!

If you have questions, or if you would like to purchase the system, please either send me or Sheirosia a message in game, or send an e-mail to serenity@pharanyx.com.

Documentation and some information about system features can be found at http://www.pharanyx.com/. Please note, while the system itself has been released, most of the documentation is incomplete and in-progress. The best way to get more information at this point is to speak with Sheirosia or I.

There is a clan set up for the system in-game, and it's open to everyone who's interested in the system, regardless of whether or not you've purchased it. Just ask to be inducted into the clan in your message or e-mail.

Big thanks to @Sheirosia and the rest of the Serenity team for the months of work that have gone into it up to this point, and for all the work that's still ahead of us in the coming months. YAY.

Note for this thread: Please don't use it for feature requests or bug reports. For those of you already using the system, use the project management application (fancy, yeah?) at http://redmine.pharanyx.com/. Sheirosia and I review and assign these daily, and there will be weekly updates to the system itself. Thanks!

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

IshinJensenAreka

Comments

• AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life

Finally got there! It took a little longer than expected, but the system will now fully auto-update for you. It will check every hour, simply correlating version numbers with the server. Should an update be available, the system will append [Update] onto your prompt. As soon as you are ready to apply the update, just type 'update' and Serenity will do the rest.

This is a pretty big milestone for the progress of Serenity as it will now seamlessly update without even requiring you restart Mudlet.

YAY

RiluoDourifJensenIshin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Is this mudlet specific, or is it using a module like Citadel did?
  • SheirosiaSheirosia Sheffield, UK.
    Yeah, Serenity is for Mudlet only.
    Ah, ah well.

Serenity News Update:

This is especially notable for those of you with offense code, currently:

http://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/1259/liaison-changes#latest

I'll start work on the necessary alterations to the various aspects of the system immediately. Some of the changes I'll obviously have to wait to start until after the changes go in, but please report any incongruences you notice by submitting a bug. I'll deal with parsing whether or not the bug is already known personally.

I anticipate 100% completion on liaison changeover by the 5.11.14 update, but will be submitting updates for download as I make the changes, to allow the smoothest transition.

I just uploaded version 0.91. You can either wait for the system to prompt you to update or force an update by typing !update_check() into the command line.
  • It probably should be made clear, since it isn't clear, at all:

The serenity scripts are completely obfuscated. In other words, you can't fix a bug yourself, or look at it to see how it works if the documentation is unclear or incomplete.

For some, maybe many, this is fine. You might not ever want to look at code, and be happy (or even relieved) that someone else is going to take care of all that for you. For others, not so much.

Just make sure you know which sort of person you are before you buy it.
    SheirosiaAshmerIshinGwenithIlyon
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, in hindsight, that should have been made clear. I'll go ahead and update the website docs to point this out.

Thanks for the feedback.

* Change reflected at http://www.pharanyx.com/purchase/
    Ashmer
    Is how things look right now. (Open to suggestions for improvements)!

https://i.imgur.com/Xie5a2N.png
    Ashmer

Serenity Changelog 0.91 (4.30.14)
    * Patch (unissued) Fixed a minor timer error.
    * Patch (unissued) Added preliminary paresis curing.
    * Patch #03 Fixed a bug that caused the chat capture to miss certain tells.
    * Patch #15 Hotfixed a bug that caused the chat capture to stop working if you disconnected mid-session.
    * Patch #17 Fixed the Bloodborn defenses.
    * Feature (unissued) Completely changed the visual theme of the User Interface.
    * Feature (unissued) Added web calling and web listening.
    * Feature #02 Added an alias to adjust UI font size.
    * Feature #11 Added a highlight for your current target.
    * Feature #12 Added documentation for basic system aliases to the clan documentation.

Note for this update only: Please restart Mudlet after performing the live update to fully populate the changes.

Addendum: Added support for user-defined stylesheet properties via Qt (String).
    Serenity Changelog 0.92 (5.1.14)

* Patch (unissued) Fixed a bug with the pipelist/syringelist math and added Flare handling.
    * Patch #26 Fixed a minor syntax error in the defset delete and defset remove aliases.
    * Feature #22 Added Sentinel defenses, minus Masking and Alacrity.
    * Feature #28 Added basic precache handling and made the curing a touch faster.

Notes:
    * This update will require you re-download your system from the server.
    * This update means a change in overall procedure - due to the precaching update, the system will now eat herbs and THEN outc. Please make sure to do PREC 5 (or however many of each cure you want to outcache) as part of your session setup.

Updates into Version 1.0

Just a quick note, with the way we're picking up speed I'll be consolidating the changelogs for all of the updates through version 1.0 into one changelog that will go out with the 1.0 update.

Documentation

Hi! This is a general call and a request for people to submit feature requests (http://redmine.pharanyx.com/) for documentation that they would like to see. I'm not guaranteeing that all of it will be written, but I would like to get a sense of what's needed before I sic my Deadly Viper Documentation Assassination Squad on the project. Most of you have been using the system long enough to get a feel for the basic handling, so I'm hoping this will prove a useful experiment in user feedback.

Please begin at any time.

Thanks!

• I think it could use an automatically-offer-to-Slyphe feature.

RiluoEmellePiperAshmerSheirosia
    Sure, just submit a feature request at http://redmine.pharanyx.com/ and we'll make sure to give that feature request every ounce of attention it deserves.

SheirosiaDourifFerrik
    The server will be offline for approximately an hour while some upgrades take place. No services will be affected once we're back up and the end result will be a more meaty server.
    Apologies for the short warning, but this is simply required.
    I'll be starting the upgrade in about an hour from now.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and your patience is appreciated during this time.

-marty
    Ashmer
    Hey guys! Serenity 0.96 is now available for download. This update will require a complete re-installation, due to some changes to the system's fundamental code.

As I noted previously, I'll be putting out a comprehensive changelog with the release of version 1.0. Notably, this update includes Templar defenses - including specialized handling for Righteousness - preliminary handling for Indorani afflictions, and I've fully integrated paresis into each offense, so you can actually use those priorities again.

It's important to note that while Serenity's source is closed, the functions it uses to concatenate data are fully referenced by local scripts in Mudlet - I've built it specifically, for example, so that someone will be able to code their own offense onto the inbuilt affliction tracker. The reason for the closed source is twofold - one, to protect my time investment, 'cause I personally spend more time on the damn thing than I do my full time government job, let alone @Sheirosia's time. Two, with local functions calling loaded functions, the way the system is packaged actually makes these functions process more quickly than local functions in Mudlet will. I've noticed a palpable difference in smoothness and processing speed in my own use between my development workspace and the version I use that's a complete mimic of the system that's available from the site.

I've heard a few questions about this, so I thought it would be worth adding to @Irruel's point. I'll be siccing my Deadly Viper Documentation Assassination squad on the useful inbuilt functions in the near future, following the full curing revamp that got started tonight. More to come!

• @Ashmer‌
    My main concern is that you'll stop playng Aetolia six months from now, due to some unforeseen RL event (new job, wife, kids whatever). It helps that there are two developers though.

Honestly, and while that's a very valid concern, I'll say this now; should that happen (which at this stage is extremely unlikely), the source would be made available publicly.
    AliceIrruel
    No offense, but we were told the same thing with Citadel, and that did not happen - instead the source went to one person and is basically a free propaganda tool for one side of the game that we unknowingly crowdsourced.
    Actually, with the number of people that are now familiar with the system's use, and a few that are actually familiar with the source code, since they worked on Quiet (my first Mudlet system) with me, what I would first do is turn it over to someone that can keep it updated in its current form.

Failing that, if I were to lose my leg in a freak accident involving a crocodile, a Yiddish priest, and a 70s-era jukebox and the experience caused immediate enlightenment and I ascended to Nirvana, then yeah, we'd make the source for the curing system available.

In seriousness: I'm not familiar with what happened with Citadel, though it sounds like something happened there and I appreciate your concern. I can confidently tell you that that won't be the case. I don't anticipate quitting, and if I do I'll know ahead of time and be able to either turn it over with the structural integrity required to keep the system intact, or @Sheirosia would open the source. Serenity's a real project for me, and I treat it with the same respect I do my job, as weird as that might sound.

AliceBenedictoIshin
    Feature Request Spam

Hi!

This is just a public service announcement to warn you that there will be spam for the next several hours, possibly spreading into tomorrow evening, as I download my personal system notes into the Redmine feature request pages. This will let me centralize everything, so I'm not working from my personal notes separately from your user-reported feature requests. It should make the whole process more cohesive and a lot smoother as we continue to update the system.

Thanks for your understanding.

I've gone ahead and enabled global news/bug/request viewing so that registration is no longer required to do this. I'll be keeping a close eye on things over the next few hours and will announce in due course whether this will remain a permanent feature.
    Ashmer
    Serenity .097 is Live

Hello!

Serenity version 0.97 just went live.

Due to the changes to the core code for this version, it will require a fresh profile and a re-download of the system.

As stated in previous news posts, version 1.0 will include a full changelog for all of the changes - for now, you've already received updates on the individual feature requests you've submitted.

Though it isn't published yet, there's some new documentation that got complete with this update! I'll be beginning to manage the wiki this week, and my plan is to have the documentation go live on the website for version 1.0.

Thanks!

Additional note:

HUGE thanks to @Sheirosia for sticking with me through this one. I think the changes overall took four or five hours to tweak and crash-test, including an almost-failed spar against @Mazzion. <.< @Sheirosia ftw.

Update 0.98!

There have been fundamental changes for this update; most notably, the curing has seen some pretty hefty speed improvements. While most of the work done is behind the scenes, rest assured that the system now performs even faster than before. (How is this even possible?!?)

As with the previous release, there have been a number of changes to the XML, so this will be a fresh download and install again.

Changelog:

* Inclusion of the command separator for curing and defup methods.
    * Player database massively updated. Serenity will automatically add any characters is detects as not being in the database and grab a range of data from
    IRE API such that things like current class of your enemy is quickly and easily ascertained.
    * Lots of user interface updates are in. I've gone ahead an enabled the left pane toggles for testing. (The user definable ones are still disabled).
    * Parrying! It's in! (Multiple modes available).
    * Tattoo inker. (This is essentially indentical to the one I wrote for Tripwire).
    * HTML5 colour logging! Sample: http://www.pharanyx.com/test_log.html
    * Many behind the scenes improvements.

I'll get the full changelog up on the server later today, though for now... Enjoy!

As always, if there are any questions, please feel free to message me in game or contact via email: support@pharanyx.com
    DourifAshmer
  • That logger is really cool.
    AshmerTrager
    Tripwire User Discount

We're declaring an end to the Tripwire User Discount tomorrow. I'll extend it through the end of the night tomorrow night, EST, just to make it available to people, but for those of you who wanted your chance, here it is!

• Tripwire user discount?!
This discussion has been closed.