Let's play Aetolia!

edited May 2014 in Newbies
So I've been gone for a looong time
Lusternia is getting... bad now
So tell me, where is the city/forest/whatever to be nowadays?

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    It really depends what you are looking for. What kind of outlook do you want - good, bad, forestal, city, evil, sciencey neutral, etc - and what kind of guild are you looking for? What kind of skills interest you (magical, physical, etc) and what do you want from your orgs (high activity, lots of fighters, lots of RP, etc).
  • Welcome back!
    Bloodloch probably. We've all the things. I'm not biased though.
    (More seriously it depends on what you want to do.)

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    It really depends on the flavor you want to play in.

Bloodloch is world domination, oppression, and your prototypical evil with some chaos thrown in. Spinesreach is more of a party atmosphere, and historically has been the 'science' city. They're a touch sneakier, more spyish (artifice!) overall.

On the other side, you've got Duiran, which is protect the wilds, opposed to Undeath and defenders of the Cycle of Life. Enorian is the Holy City, focusing on worshipping the gods and opposed to Undeath\Darkness via Spirit\Light. A good portion of the city is focused on bringing about the 'Age of Dawn' which is also one of the focal points of the Luminary guild.

That's kind of a rough explanation.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• I'd love to see somewhere where the city is community friendly like lusternia is. BUT I don't want to go to a place that is too 'friendly'
    I think Aetolia in general is pretty good at being active and drawing in new players to get involved. Cities often hold events and activities and there are a ton of ways to get engaged.
  • BLOODLOCH MASTER RACE
  • Ezrax said:
    BLOODLOCH MASTER RACE
    I had one there, they are very anti-interactive with the novices D: mean vampires!
  • All the cities are pretty cool these days, except for whatever one Daskalos is in. Avoid him AT ALL COSTS.
  • edited May 2014
    Engel said:

Ezrax said:

BLOODLOCH MASTER RACE

I had one there, they are very anti-interactive with the novices D: mean vampires!

That's unusual. Some of us are WAY too interactive with novices. You know who I'm talking about.

Edit: I can't work out the quote thing.
  • edited May 2014
    Ezrax said:
    All the cities are pretty cool these days, except for whatever one Daskalos is in. Avoid him AT ALL COSTS.
    EDIT: nothing to see here
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    edited May 2014
    He's just making a jab at Dask.

Each of the cities has people that are derpy/snuggly, people that are proactive and helpful, people that idle for days, RP elite, PK elite, and so on. You will be able to find a community of helpful people wherever you go.

Edit: To expand upon this - think about what type of archetype or atmosphere and roleplay you want to exist within. If you can start developing that inclination, we forum folk can certainly help suggest people to contact in game for a head start as you begin your journey here.
  • edited May 2014
    For some odd reason I really like being either a lumbering , slobbering, brute or a studious scholar. Now what races statistically are like that, then from there what cities are they commonly known to be in EDIT: Though I do love the fact there are Divines I have little interest in that avenue of RP, due to the fact I don't want to bring disfavours upon me if I blunder
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Race and stats are divorced, and things aren't as linked as they are in Lusternia. You can pretty much be any race/stat combination you want, wherever you want.

• Serrice said:
    Race and stats are divorced, and things aren't as linked as they are in Lusternia. You can pretty much be any race/stat combination you want, wherever you want.
    oh yeah those statpacks, i forgot about that
  • I think as a whole, playing a character that leans more towards dutiful scholarly type, there's a lot of means of access to this sort of RP in each city, this is just judging from the grand scheme of the Game's lore and what it offers.

It takes quite a bit of blundering to earn a disfavour - they are usually granted for betrayin g a god, cursing one out, and so on.
  • Areka said:
    It takes quite a bit of blundering to earn a disfavour - they are usually granted for betrayin g a god, cursing one out, and so on.
    Mysrai (lusternia divine) disfavours for bad jokes soooo I'm kind of weary of Divines
    Understandable! I just wanted to set you at ease, disfavours aren't often use save for serious/offensive foot-in-mouth. Even with Enorian, the 'Holy City', you need not interact with the Divine outside of understanding the city has a reverence for them. Orders and Congregations are completely optional and -often- are pretty separate from other organizations.
    AliceXavinEngelPiper
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    IshinAshmerHavenXavinSheirosiaVolka
  • Haern, why do I want to groan when you post that? I don't remember.
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
    Sheirosia
  • Haern said:

I put on my robe and wizard hat.

Sounds like someone's getting ready for a good time.

• I would offtopic buuuut "immortal"
  • TrigruTrigru the Bumberton's Delight
    edited May 2014
    I actually highly encourage flagging @Haern's posts. Abuse is preferred, Troll works too.

(Please don't actually tag Haern's posts)

Although each city has its fair share of helping hands, it is my opinion that Spinesreach or Enorian will offer the most newbie-friendly experience, whether from lesser complicated classes or just a less challenging atmosphere.
    MoireanIshin
  • SheirosiaSheirosia Sheffield, UK.
    Meyvitch said:

Haern, why do I want to groan when you post that? I don't remember.

Just Google the words. Warning, very NSFW. (But it's just text).

I used to sell a pointy hat and mage robes in my shop years ago. If they sold, 99% of the time they were bought as a set.
    SheirosiaPiperAngwe
  • SheirosiaSheirosia Sheffield, UK.
    Haha! Yeah, I remember those.
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Every time I see this thread, I think that it's going to be a Let's Play of Aetolia. The shouty kind.

"Okay, so now I'm... okay I guess I'm jump-kicking a centipede! Take that! Haha, ha oh what I've been naked this entire time? Goddamn!"

RazmaelTrigruPiperVolkaAngweIosyneAmbivalence
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    I think I would literally kill to hear a Let's Play of Aetolia spoken by someone like Captnduck or you, @Eleanor.
    Xenia
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Former Lusternian here.

I can tell you that Aetolia's roleplay is really open to you and unlike anything you'll find in Lusternia (where the roleplay is largely dead. Case in point: People who play Bards are using OOC lyrics for their songs). I will tell you that Duiran is nothing like Serenwilde so don't be afraid of the stigma of playing a forestal if that is something that appeals to you. Enorian is like New Celest, but not nearly as zealous as Celest is. One of my favorite players in Enorian was Edhain who was a grouchy Paladin who got his drink on often, but mostly because of RP reasons, depression, etc.

I would say that Bloodloch is the only opposing side of the polar spectrum and my vampire alt has shown me that they're very much into the nobility roleplay, elegance, etc.

Spinesreach and Duiran fit more of the "neutral" spectrum where, while they still have their own take on undeath and are pretty firm on it, they're not about light or dark, "good" or "evil" or anything arbitrary like that. My character in Duiran, for example, would have no problem committing murder against a village if it meant preserving the natural balance or whatever.

Really, I'd say Aetolia gives you enough freedom to roleplay what you want (provided you don't directly oppose your organization's core beliefs) unlike Lusternia where you are pigeonholed into a personality based on your organization. Most Celestians have the same exact zealot roleplay I've found, or same with broody, emo Glomdoring folks (which is where I was).
    AlicePiperEngelAitaPerilunaAngwe
  • Seir said:

Former Lusternian here.

I can tell you that Aetolia's roleplay is really open to you and unlike anything you'll find in Lusternia (where the roleplay is largely dead. Case in point: People who play Bards are using OOC lyrics for their songs). I will tell you that Duiran is nothing like Serenwilde so don't be afraid of the stigma of playing a forestal if that is something that appeals to you. Enorian is like New Celest, but not nearly as zealous as Celest is. One of my favorite players in Enorian was Edhain who was a grouchy Paladin who got his drink on often, but mostly because of RP reasons, depression, etc.

I would say that Bloodloch is the only opposing side of the polar spectrum and my vampire alt has shown me that they're very much into the nobility roleplay, elegance, etc.

Spinesreach and Duiran fit more of the "neutral" spectrum where, while they still have their own take on undeath and are pretty firm on it, they're not about light or dark, "good" or "evil" or anything arbitrary like that. My character in Duiran, for example, would have no problem committing murder against a village if it meant preserving the natural balance or whatever.

Really, I'd say Aetolia gives you enough freedom to roleplay what you want (provided you don't directly oppose your organization's core beliefs) unlike Lusternia where you are pigeonholed into a personality based on your organization. Most Celestians have the same exact zealot roleplay I've found, or same with broody, emo Glomdoring folks (which is where I was).

back on topic! Great explanation too! EVERYBODY LIKE THAT ANSWER! :D