Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Haven said:
    Guilds should lose their last function as class dispensers and get a new schtick all together when/if they introduce a guild conflict system. Guilds should be a representation of their role-play/ideals/whatever not the class they can hand out.

Think about it in terms of an MMO. You pick/attain whatever class you want for your side then join the guild/clan that best fits your desires for a community. The game's evolved past the point of needing guilds to dispense class.
    I like the idea of guilds standing for a certain set of tenets/ideals and class is just that, tools for achieving those tenets. So generally speaking, I dig this, even if I clicked 'disagree'.

The only concern I have is that many guild skills come inextricably from the lore of the guild. To have guilds divorced from its class-dispensing function would leave a kind of vacuum. The guild really has to have a strong purpose, unrelated to the skills of its individual members. Mm, it's pretty hard, but I'll try to illustrate:

Can you imagine a guild of Teradrims that are all classed as Syssin? Could they perform their guild functions without it seeming weird that none of them are Teradrim?

For the Syssin guild, it's not so bad, because our skills have always been a tool, rather than defining our goals. I could be a telepath in the Syssin and still be pretty darn Syssin with how often I am snooping around in other people's minds.

But can we have a guild of Luminaries that aren't Luminaries? Or a Daru without Daru? If the Luminaries and Daru are not tied to their respective skills, do they have enough guild lore to go on to keep them up as distinct guilds from one another?

That's the difficulty I have in my mind- that some guilds need their skills to prop up their identity, otherwise they end up blurring in with other guilds that share very similar goals and ideals.

P.S. On hindsight, this could very well be a reason to start collapsing guilds. I'm not sure what the wider general sentiment is, but at least from people I've spoken to, we've generally observed that there may be too many guilds to support the playerbase. The lot of us are too dispersed for there to be sufficient manpower in each guild to really push it to its full potential.
    ArbreAmaraHavenAngwe
  • edited January 2013
    And on a separate note, could we have an 'artifact' flag that will allow us to sort all our random artifacts in INVCAT?

Or, alternatively, don't limit the number of filter words for each category.

Libram, gems, sacrificial dagger, letter satchel, homing pigeon, snowglobe, starchart, etc. all in one category.

Arbre
  • ZunZun
    edited January 2013
    Raeche said:
    And on a separate note, could we have an 'artifact' flag that will allow us to sort all our random artifacts in INVCAT?

Libram, gems, sacrificial dagger, letter satchel, homing pigeon, snowglobe, starchart, etc. all in one category.

From HELP INVCAT:
    Special filter words:
    'artifact'      Will sort any artifacts.
    Are you saying it doesn't work?
    Raeche
  • Zun said:
    Raeche said:

From HELP INVCAT:
    Special filter words:
    'artifact'      Will sort any artifacts.
    Are you saying it doesn't work?
    Learn something new every day. Thanks!!
    Camille
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    edited January 2013
    Raeche said:
    Haven said:
    Guilds should lose their last function as class dispensers and get a new schtick all together when/if they introduce a guild conflict system. Guilds should be a representation of their role-play/ideals/whatever not the class they can hand out.

Think about it in terms of an MMO. You pick/attain whatever class you want for your side then join the guild/clan that best fits your desires for a community. The game's evolved past the point of needing guilds to dispense class.
    I like the idea of guilds standing for a certain set of tenets/ideals and class is just that, tools for achieving those tenets. So generally speaking, I dig this, even if I clicked 'disagree'.

The only concern I have is that many guild skills come inextricably from the lore of the guild. To have guilds divorced from its class-dispensing function would leave a kind of vacuum. The guild really has to have a strong purpose, unrelated to the skills of its individual members. Mm, it's pretty hard, but I'll try to illustrate:

Can you imagine a guild of Teradrims that are all classed as Syssin? Could they perform their guild functions without it seeming weird that none of them are Teradrim?

For the Syssin guild, it's not so bad, because our skills have always been a tool, rather than defining our goals. I could be a telepath in the Syssin and still be pretty darn Syssin with how often I am snooping around in other people's minds.

But can we have a guild of Luminaries that aren't Luminaries? Or a Daru without Daru? If the Luminaries and Daru are not tied to their respective skills, do they have enough guild lore to go on to keep them up as distinct guilds from one another?

That's the difficulty I have in my mind- that some guilds need their skills to prop up their identity, otherwise they end up blurring in with other guilds that share very similar goals and ideals.

P.S. On hindsight, this could very well be a reason to start collapsing guilds. I'm not sure what the wider general sentiment is, but at least from people I've spoken to, we've generally observed that there may be too many guilds to support the playerbase. The lot of us are too dispersed for there to be sufficient manpower in each guild to really push it to its full potential.
    The answer to your question is yes. A guild by definition is an association of people for mutual aid or in pursuit of a common goal. (i.e., it can be whatever the hell a group of you want it to be.) You shouldn't need to be X class to be in X guild unless that's what the guild chooses to identify itself as. We're a guild of lycans. We're a guild of the Syssin Syndicate Mafia. We're a guild of Bloodborn Vampires. We're a guild of Weapon Masters. We're a guild of Knights. Etcetera. If a guild chooses to focus primarily on the fact that it is comprised of x class then that is perfectly within their right. This change would not infringe upon that right whatsoever.

However, what would change are player and guild freedoms. The only real vacuum that would come into existance would be the transition of people moving from where they are forced to be to where they want to be. The very same if not similar change that occurred when multi-classing was first introduced which is a positive one.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • edited January 2013
    Haven said:

However, what would change are player and guild freedoms. The only real vacuum that would come into existance would be the transition of people moving from where they are forced to be to where they want to be. The very same if not similar change that occurred when multi-classing was first introduced which is a positive one.
    Mmm, yeah. For this to work, I would imagine many guilds disbanding and other guilds forming. Unless guilds define themselves as 'A guild of Daru', 'A guild of Luminaries', etc., I see the kind of structure that we have right now crumbling. This could be a good or bad thing, depending on how the player-base handles it.

How I picture implementation is for guilds to become more like houses.

While attractive, this change also requires a kind of flexibility and creativity on the part of players to create and run guilds that fill a niche, and an RP backstory that is attractive to other players. Guild lore has to be at least as attractive as what we have established right now, otherwise we'd be giving up something good for something less.

It also heralds the possibility for merchant guilds, political guilds, etc.
    It'd really depend on the conflict mechanic. The whole premise behind the Goblin/Mhun war in Moghedu is one of the reasons of what drew/kept me playing past week 1 when I first started like 5+ years ago.

"Woaaahhh... Necromatic Knights helping the goblins enslave the mhun people to feed the war machine?! Amg, Paladin rivals to boot! Epic."

havenbanner2
  • edited January 2013
    First off, let me say how much I love the EVENTS syntax. Something so simple makes it so much easier to actually remember  A) that events are taking place and B) when they're occurring!

That said, I've got a suggestion, and a request:

1) Add a number to each event, similar to that of a changelog, then offer a SHOWEVENT syntax, which would display something like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Event #0001
    Title: Iron Epicurean            Creator: Felix, the Gourmand
    Category: Public                 Date: 14 Lanosian 380

Description:

The Iron Epicurean is a cooking contest! It'll be totally sweet! See
    public news post 5462, or HELP EPICUREAN for more details.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Please give city and guild leaders the ability to have access to this. This is where the 'category' flag up there comes in. Choices for that would be guild, public, or city, leaving the event to show on the respective players' list when they type EVENTS.

When organizing events IG, nine times out of ten when you give an in-game date it'll be forgotten. If we had access to this sweet events system, that could hopefully make it a lot easier for CLs and guild leaders to have events that people actually remember to show up to. 

If you're worried about people having EVENTS spammed up, I'd suggest of course defaulting the events made by admin to the top of the list. In addition to this, filters like EVENTS GUILD, EVENTS CITY, etc can help to cut back on that.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    KerrynHavenMastemaPerilunaLunaKonnornArbreAmaraAngwe
  • That is one sweet idea.
    Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    A syntax that shows us which instances we're bound to, and for how long.

'instances'
    "You're bound to Borscin's instance in Shade of Xaanhal for 1 hour and 10 minutes."
    "You're bound to your own instance in the Black Keep for 30 minutes."

Something like this. Except the Black Keep isn't instanced anymore.
    There is a defense already that wears out after 2 hours for Xaanhal syncing right?
    havenbanner2
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA

Getting rid of guilds would be the worst mistake you'd wish you never made. Look at the plight of Houses in Achaea, largely vestigial institutions of no real value now that they're divorced from their... well, 'point' isn't the right word, but it's the first one that comes to mind.

Infin
    Angwe said:

Getting rid of guilds would be the worst mistake you'd wish you never made. Look at the plight of Houses in Achaea, largely vestigial institutions of no real value now that they're divorced from their... well, 'point' isn't the right word, but it's the first one that comes to mind.

The suggestion wasn't to delete guilds. It was to change their purpose from simply class dispensing to something else.
    havenbanner2
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Angwe said:

That House system in question is also instituted in a game where political and structural roleplaying isn't really focused on. I'm not saying let's do what Achaea is doing, but it would hardly be as bad.
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Haven said:
    There is a defense already that wears out after 2 hours for Xaanhal syncing right?
    Nope?
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    It IS a defense, but it doesn't wear off.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Could Mutating into lycanthrope hide jewelry/have an ability to hide jewelry/clothing?, or a toggle for it?

Taking them off (especially resists) affects combat or bashing, but these things wouldn't resize for the mutating process, and look kinda silly when still on.
  • I actually submitted a liaison report for that very same idea last round and it was rejected on the basis that some people may want their clothing visible.

I'm just as baffled as you are.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited January 2013
    -Most of the IRE games let us have characters within a certain age bracket--notably as low as 16 or so--this'd be ideal for kids, so they can start earlier without ages getting fudged.

-  I'd still like to be able to put letters into hats. I'm okay with that making it unwearable, but I think it'd be pretty boss for like. Raffles and stuff.

- Also: Being able to set dues based on ones appointed position in the clan would be absolutely wonderful and extremely useful.

imageimage
  • For the weekly challenge with Quest experience gain, could we lower the bracket of the 5cr from 1mil to 100k? It feels like that bracket should be reachable, but as it is now, only three people have reached it. True, there's still a day and a half left, but I don't think more than one more might be able to get there. Even 100k seems to be a challenge, with only the top 11 having reached that. So, perhaps lower the bracket a little? It's far too much work for 5cr.

Erzsebet
  • More endgame racial skill choices would be great.
    Infin
  • I know that people are against making houses and guilds too similar, but could we maybe re-arrange the HWHO output to be like that of the GWHO one? Ranking members up top, easier-to-read positions, etc etc.
    ErzsebetInfin
  • In a similar vein to what Aldric said, some organization in the housemembers list to be more like guildmembers would be awesome. As it is it's difficult to make organizational sense out of the former, because there isn't any.
    imageimage
    Infin
  • Can we please get a way to Bloodline siblings...I know a few of us have founded families as siblings instead of having parents.
    1) Enorian declares war on Bloodloch, because Ellenia said Dato was a smelly butt face.
    OrisaeErzsebetArbre
  • The only problem with being able to add siblings is like, Person A and B's kid Person C could bloodlinesister some random girl and suddenly either person A and/or B suddenly have random kids with strangers, or more with each other that never exist.

It could make for logistical problems. I just want an un-bloodlining command at this point. And an adoption system so the distinction is made.
    imageimage
    Arbre
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    There's an artifact of unbloodlining, isn't there?
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
  • Is there? Really? YOU MEAN I DON'T HAVE TO BE A SUDOKO-FORESTWALKER-MIRARI-LIONHEART anymore because I was a newb and was told to agree to this bloodline thing that would magically make me their kid only to find out yeaaaars later I was actually adopted and not actually bloodlined? >.>
    imageimage
    Infin
  • Yes, they added a artifact for like 125 cr (I think) that removes you off a Bloodline.

A seal of besmirchment 125cr
    ==========================================
    A one-time use artifact. Remove yourself from your family bloodline.
    PRESS MARK while standing in the bloodline registry office.

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Problem comes when you only want one or two people unbloodlined, not everyone.
  • IMO it really shouldn't be an artifact that does it.
    imageimage
    AldricAmara