Mafia: Trouble in the Spires

Comments

• Ahh hell with it, I don't want to play anymore anyways.

VOTE: DAMONICUS

• DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Damnit! I am too late once again to have my vote count for anything. Why does this game always feel like US Presidential Elections, where the candidate's platforms are made up and the votes don't mean anything!?

VOTE: Damonicus

Hey look! I learned how to make my vote red like everrrryone elses!
  • edited January 2013
    Votes:
    -------------
    Damonicus (6): Valenae, Zun, Lianca, Ilyon, Damonicus, Demarcus
    Valenae (5): Kaeus, Arbre, Periluna, Aarbrok, Orisae

Votes needed to lynch: 6

Another cold day in the Spires, the cold exaggerated perhaps by the cold-hearted bastards now running the city. 

"Damonicus," Demarcus called out, an angered mob wielding torches and pitchforks formed behind him.

Startled, Damonicus spun quickly around to face the mob with a gulp. His lips pressed into a grim line as he eyed the angered citizenry, yet said nothing; he knew that words would do little at this point when facing such an enormous crowd.

"FINALLY I GET TO DO SOMETHING!!" Demarcus shouted before leading the crowd towards the resolute Damonicus. It took only a few moments to slaughter the poor man, but it wasn't until the crowd backed away that they realized their mistake.

Damonicus has been lynched.
    He was a Citizen.

Please PM me with any night actions. The night round will last until roughly this time tomorrow, or until I receive input from all players.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • edited January 2013
    "There he is," murmured one of the Dhasani, their voyria-tipped arrow glistening dangerously as it was knocked.

"Shoot," another harshly whispered, and on command, the arrow was released. It sailed through the air, down towards the man who seemed to be standing oddly in the middle of the street observing nothing in particular. In a rather bizarre display, the arrow seemed to vanish as it shot through Kaeus and embedded itself in the wall behind him.

The Dhasan wielding the darkbow had no more than enough time to angrily mutter something before the illusory image that stood before the arrow faded into a series of shadow-like motes that dispersed skywards.

An assassination attempt was carried out on Kaeus.
    He was protected by the Syssin.

DAY 2 HAS BEGUN
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • Well, I guess it should be pretty clear that I'm not part of the mafia. Thank the lords for the Syssin that protected me! 

Seems to me like I might have been on to something yesterday. I think my vote will be the same as yesterday.

Vote: Valenae
  • It's possible, but I don't know, it more looks like an attempt to make Valenae seem guilty. I rather doubt that the mafia would make such an easy-to-catch mistake.

Or maybe Ilyon is trying to cover for said mistake. Hrmmmmm. I don't follow how any of this is supposed to make Val look guilty. It is one of those "If they know that we know that they know that we know that they know..." so it hardly looks like a deliberate attempt to make Val look guilty.

Pretty safe to assume Kaeus isn't mafia, why would they kill one of their own?

But if the mafia did slip up and Ilyon is trying to cover, we have two prime suspects. I say we lynch one and see. But I am open to suggestions and other logic.
    Oh, and Arbre's "random" maybe was a "I am mafia and know Damonicus is not!" So in my mind we have 3 suspects of high suspicion!
  • It wasn't random actually - she was referring to Raeche's post in the previous game. At least, I think.
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited January 2013
    I dont know if you ask me, Demarcus likes to be in the middle of all this, maybe a bit too much, and is often pointing fingers.  Seems a bit brash of someone to always be doing the finger pointing without having a little blame.  Thats just my two cents if you ask me.  

On the Record, not a fan of fingerpointing, it leads to uneeded deaths.

VOTE: Demarcus
  • It does look like they're trying to make Val seem guilty. From their perspective "Let's kill the guy who started a bandwagon against our Mafia." sounds so obviously flawed, I can't believe one of them didn't speak up with "Hang on. Won't that look like a move in self-defense?" I think Ilyon hit the nail on the head. Which clears him in my book, why would he defend a Civi?

But... then we have Demarcus. The boy trying too hard. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Vote: Demarcus

Look at it this way, Demarcus is pointing the finger at two (pretty assuredly) Civis and going, "Let's lynch either of them! Prime suspects!" with little more than a lick of logic. What are the chances the Mafia would fudge up then try to back-track straight away? Unlikely. What are the chances a Mafia would step in, trying to dissuade us from listening to Ilyon's logic, and fall for their plan? In my opinion, pretty darn likely. So he's got my vote.
    Got it.

Vote: Aarbrok

I approve of being right and winning. Notice how I haven't voted until now? I'm just trying to be a responsible citizen and offer some options. Lynch me if you want, you'll regret it. Just remember who pointed the finger at me my fellow citizens when I fall! Then I can both win AND be right!

Though I'll take being right in the meanwhile.
    Oh, this is my first finger pointing. Some mafia member hasn't done their homework!!!
  • Let's try this, then.

Vote: Demarcus

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I want to apologize to everyone for missing the first day of the game. Ah, I read through the posts and it it's already looking like an interesting game. I think Demarcus is making some good points. It's nice we finally have some communication in the mafia games for once, makes it easier to sort out who is who and who's not who. Right.

Only one round passed and I'm guessing people are still being cautious. There's not really much evidence pointing one direction or the other so far. Though, typically speaking the most vocal people tend to be civilians. Being outspoken got me killed in like the third round on the old forums; mafia members tend to be the quieter ones. Still, Zun makes a pretty compelling argument.

I kind of want to follow Kaeus's lead because I really doubt he's the mafia. Beeing protected by the civilians generally means you're one of the good guys.

Does anyone else have any input to share?
    It is boring not having anything to do at night. Of course I am going to try and participate! Plus work always seems to get in the way and now I can bait the mafia into lynching me! Get them next round my fellow civilians!!!
    Ugh.

Assuming you're innocent, you really are a horrible civilian. "Baiting to get lynched" or whatever only helps the mafia and in every conceivable way, too. You'd waste a round for us while letting them pick off people at the night rounds. Try to find out who is the mafia and make good arguments to have them lynched instead of arbitrarily going 'this person is bad, kill them, this person is also bad, kill them too'. Right now, you're only making the game more confusing.
    I gave you options and my opinion. Second mafia game ever, sheesh. Aaron Rodgers wasn't a rockstar his first or second pee wee football games. I am basically lynched because I made some suggestions. Logic would say I am sniffing up the right tree and the mafia is going to divert attention and hope everyone forgets what I said. When I get lynched, go back and see who I suspected and who was the first to vote against me. Easy day. There is some logic you can take to the bank.

I still vote for Aarbrok
  • Votes:

Valenae (1): Kaeus
    Demarcus (3): Aarbrok, Zun, Ilyon
    Aarbrok(1): Demarcus

5 votes needed to lynch.
    A redact my Aarbs vote for now. Zun voted for Damonicus.

Also, random numbers ocurr in clusters. If memory serves, Zun was mafia last game. Therefore, I expect from a non-pseudo RNG that he would pull another mafia ticket!

Vote: Zun.
    A man doesn't realize how many posts he's made when he's making them on his phone.

Here's my final post on the matter. I'm making my case, and letting the cards fall as they will. My sincerest apologies to Alexina for being a bad civilian, and by confusing things, hopefully this will clear it up a bit.

Lets look at what we know for a fact. Damonicus was lynched by Valenae, Zun, Lianca, Ilyon, Damonicus and myself. When I voted I didn't realize that I was the 6th, I thought I was the 7th. Just stating a fact known to me alone, sorry about that Damonicus buddy.

A lot of the voting in the first round didn't make a lot of sense as to how it got started, to be honest, but that's alright. Zun voted third. That's a pretty safe number, in the eyes of the mafia, because they know that civilians will be suspicious of the first vote. But third? Now you're just bandwagoning and are innocent as can be.

Zun doesn't want to make the first vote, because people who vote first look suspicious, as Kaeus so eloquently pointed out. But we have Ilyon trying to backpedal and say "Your logic is flawed, the mafia are not that dumb!" As I stated in an earlier post, it's anybody's guess here. But, if they're not going to make such an easy-to-catch mistake, how do we know they aren't going to purposefully make that mistake, knowing that you think that it's an easy to catch mistaken, and by gosh they wouldn't make that mistake! It's very dangerous to assume to know exactly what play the enemy WON'T use. You need to consider the possibilities.

So, Zun sees an opening when Aarbs, whom I am giving the benefit of the weaker case against here, nominates me simply on the basis that I've said anything at all. Again, I've pointed out I have never pointed the finger before this previous vote, in any game of mafia! I bandwagon, if anything else! So now I will be punished for attempting to play the game. Harsh learning curve noted. So, we have a vote on absolutely no logic or evidence whatsoever. And yet, Zun admits I have "more than a lick of logic", which is more than Aarbs has. A bit hypocritical, if you ask me. To recap, I have a vote initiated against me because I 1) said something, and 2) Aarb incorrectly thinks that I "always" (when in fact it is never) do the finger pointing. Great.

Alexina has made some incredibly valid points. Communication in a mafia game is great! There was almost nothing in the previous one, which made it fairly boring, especially for those that don't have anything to do at night. She points out that Civvies tend to be more vocal? Why? Because we have nothing to do at night. Nada. Nilch. Squat. I twiddle my thumbs for half the game. I would be more suspect of the people who say next to nothing to back up their claims because they're trying to fly under the radar. I figured as soon as I opened my trap I'd be inviting some votes against me, and logic to me would dictate that more times than not they would be in the mafia because now they have the tiniest sliver of anything to knock off another civilian without a lick of suspicion being thrown their way until afterwards. But if that's what it takes, great. We've identified several very prime suspects that way.

Also, do you know how some people are always certain roles in these types of games? This is just me reiterating how true random numbers come in clusters. Zun will no doubt argue that everyone had equal probability and each event is independent, but we all know deep down that whenever we play these types of games there are a few people who seem to always be on a certain side. Anyone who plays Battlestar Galactica (the board game) with any frequency likely knows what I'm talking. A non-pseudo random number generator was used to determine roles, and any observant person is going to expect clustering. Zun was mafia last game. That definitely tips this round of voting's supicion, in my book, far enough in his favor to confirm my gut feeling that he's a toaster. I mean mafia.

It's too late for those that have tipped their hands, and to the rest of the civilians, you're welcome for something far more substantial than has been offered by anyone but Alexina and obviously Kaeus (being protected and all). Hopefully this post will be referred to once I'm gone -- I do enjoy being proven right. I'll count two of the three (Zun, Aarbs, Ilyon) being mafia as a stunning success. Pretty sure about Zun though.

Vote as you will. And so I can put it in pretty colors...

Vote: Zun
  • We're second round in; there's no need for posts of that length. We don't have enough facts to require that level of depth... you're just posting too much, speaking too loud, and none of it rings true. I regret that Damonicus had to die, but I'd rather see somebody lynched over a RNG than die to prejudice. Val did nothing that we wouldn't have done in her position--so why vote for her? It seemed suspicious and I was wrong.

Once again, I might be wrong, but Demarcus is being the suspicious one. So he's got my vote. And he should probably have yours too.
  • Zun makes a valid argument. Demarcus is being a bit vocal, especially for the second round.

Eh. I'd be vocal too if someone was trying to kill me in the second round. I'm not sure why being vocal is a bad thing, because honestly the types that just makes a one-sentence-bandwagon-post  are contributing less to finding out who the mafia are. If you're arguing that people should be quiet, then this entire game is a lost cause for the civilians.

Just look at the reasoning here:
    Ilyon said:
    Let's try this, then. Vote: Demarcus

Periluna said:
    Zun makes a valid argument. Demarcus is being a bit vocal, especially for the second round.

Look, I'm not saying that these people necessarily are mafia. We just have too little to go on at the moment. But bandwagoning for the sake of bandwagoning is exactly what the mafia wants, right? Right now, everyone are just voting without really adding any substance to the thread, which means next round comes around and there's nothing to really look at and say 'hrm, these guys are doing weird stuff, what if they're mafia'.

I mean, now I'm starting to get vocal too so I guess there's some chances I'll get lynched next round or whatnot.
  • You're saying what needs to be said, based on the facts, Alexina. Which is fine. And bandwagoning for the sake of it isn't. On the other hand, I've given some pretty strong reasons for why Demarcus speaking up was an indication of Mafia-behavior, and it wasn't the raising of his voice from the ground but his intentions that clued me in.

I'm all for people testing my theories with logic and us having a discussion on them... but what Demarcus did  was turn around and point a finger at me. Why? He believes random isn't random and I've been Mafia in a totally separate game so it's more likely I'm Mafia here. Right. OK. It reeks of desperate flailing to avoid the noose. Gotcha. I'd be scared too, but it's a group game, and we win or lose as a group. So if you're a Civie, I don't see how flailing out with nonsensical points and walls of text is the way to do it.

It's not hard to believe that you're being voted for because people just think you're Mafia. And in my case, that's what's going on. Mafia might be backing me up. I might be wrong. But argue that, prove that you're trust worthy. Because so far? You haven't.
    Alright.

I'll vote for Demarcus.
  • edited January 2013
    Day 2
    --------------
    Valenae (1): Kaeus
    Demarcus (5): Aarbrok, Zun, Ilyon, Periluna, Alexina
    Zun(1): Demarcus

5 votes needed to lynch.

"He could be one of the Dhasani," Demarcus announces, pointing towards one of the citizens in the crowd that seems to have rather quickly gathered before him.

"You know what, so could he!" the eager man exclaims. "And him, and him, and her- she's definitely one!" he continues, fingers flying excitedly in the direction of every citizen gathered.

"So could you," responds Alexina with a grunt, the last citizen to cast a haughty eye in the man's direction. From her artifact weaponbelt she withdraws an enormous sword and steps towards Demarcus.

p sword
    Crafted from a series of glimmering gems and tempered steel, this sword seems to have been created in the forge of a God. And then bedazzled. Gleaming red stones spell out the words, "I <3 Razmael" upon it.
    It is an Ankyrean artifact, enchanted with the following powers:
    faster_behead
    It weighs about 20 pounds
    It bears the distinctive mark of Alexina

Alexina raises an omgnerf bedazzled broadsword over her head and begins to swing it in a wide circle, gaining speed as she goes. 

Alexina begins to bear down on Demarcus with her whirling omgnerf bedazzled broadsword. 

A roar of triumph bursts from Alexina and with horrified realization, you watch as she brings her omgnerf bedazzled broadsword towards Demarcus' neck, severing his head from his body.
    Balance taken: .0002 seconds

Demarcus has been lynched.He was a Civilian.

It is now night.
    Demarcus
  • Well, that's poop.
    Demarcus
  • We're not doing too well here, guys. I think we've been looking at the right person to begin with. Valenae hasn't done anything that hasn't drawn attention to her and it's so easy to play it innocent when you're in the spotlight. But when backs are turned...
  • edited January 2013
    "Eeeeextree, eeeeextreee, read all abouuuuuut ittttt," hollers a rather rambunctious Imp wielding stacks of flyers in each hand. He quickly bolts through the Inner Gate, past the citadel and the surrounding shops, and off into the distance. One left carelessly upon the ground in his wake reads:

Dear citizens of the Republic of Spinesreach:

I caught a foul scent in the shadows. It smelled like IRC. Seems Ilyon is one of the Dhasani.

- Atabot
    Demarcus