Shop ownership

13»

Comments

• I just think that Delos should be huge...HUGE. Just transfer all the shops in the ref camp to Delos. Close down those shops that well shouldn't even be open and give others a chance to have a shop.

ArekaArbreInfin
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Not sure if this has been said or not, but @Oleis another reason why people have multiple shops is so they can store items where they will never decay.  I think if the Admin were to add in an option to create one room in our Havens (from haven points of course) that would stop the decay rate of items left within a room that has that option applied.  I think that would help to remove some of the extra shops people have..

just a thought for ya
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    CalipsoIshinSessizlikArbre
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Keeping items like that and stopping them from decaying doesn't do anything but add to the item load the game has. Either permanence something or let it decay.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Or use a display cabinet.
    TeaniCalipso
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    You know why we can't use display cabinets
    Ishin said:
    Keeping items like that and stopping them from decaying doesn't do anything but add to the item load the game has. Either permanence something or let it decay.
    that is very true, however this is one reason people in the game own a shop or multiple.
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

or better yet, change the way shops work with decaying items....

For example set the shop items at its own decay rate outside of the normal decay rate and put that at like 2 times the amount of the normal decay rate on the item on the floor, however at anytime the item is bought from the shop the full decay rate is reset to its maximum.

for example:

lets say the decay rate on a flail was 80 months, within the shop floor it would decay after 160 months, and say that same flail was bought when the decay rate was at 50 months, but when the person who bought it gets it, the decay time for them is set at 80 months.

or something along these lines.  This would help with people stocking items in store rooms and not doing anything with them.
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Arbre
  • I'm incredibly annoyed with the idea that I can't have a shop because an assortment of people are perpetually holding onto an item in a storeroom somewhere. 
    imageimage
    IshinCalipsoJasline
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Doubling their decay time would be a waste, people don't buy things that aren't going to last, also food has a very low decay time
    ArekaIshin
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    @Macavity That would be an incredible pain in the ass.

@Minareal Acquiring a shop isn't that difficult. Acquiring a -reasonably- priced shop is what's hard. I know Genocide had one, for an example, that he was willing to sell, but he wanted something stupid like 200 credits so he could get back what he paid for it himself. That high investment range is part of what keeps people holding onto them too, I think. They feel as if they haven't at all gotten back the gold they put in to buy it, and think they need to keep it till they have for it to have been worthwhile.  While a couple slots of floorspace may be being used for that purpose, despite what Macavity says, I don't feel that there are oodles of people keeping shops exclusively for the stockroom space/non-decay.

Personally, I think the best solution to the surplus of shops-that-don't-sell-anything would be for cities to up taxes on shops that aren't sufficiently stocked with things. Progressively, per year.

imageimage
    IshinTrager
    the idea may not have been explained completely....

Basically you would have two decay times...  Decay time A would be the normal decay time of the item we are use to, today.  Decay Time B would be a sub decay time while only in the shop itself.

Only the decay time B would tick while in a shop.  When someone goes to buy the item they would then start the Decay time A count down, and it would be the full time, not whatever was left over from Decay Time B...

So that basically items would decay slowly while on the floor of a shop (this would exclude items in the shop cache), but if the item is ever bought the buyer would not be lose any time on the item like it is today.

is that better??

This is a rough idea and maybe the Admin/coders could find a different way of doing it, but just a thought.
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

ArekaArbre
    By. That would be an incredible pain in the ass. I mean. That that would suck.

If you make. For an example. 80 pairs of shoes/sandals/slippers/boots/whateverelsefootweartags to go with the different outfits you keep stocked.
    Within the 40 months or whatever that they have decay-time life for, you probably won't even sell half of them. Shops do not need to be -more- of an arbitrary goldsink.
    imageimage
    200 credits is a fairly standard price for a shop. 
    edited April 2014
    No it isn't? I got all of the ones I've ever owned for 100 credits or less.

ETA: Or at least it didn't used to be, in my experience. Could be now, I've had mine for a while.
    imageimage
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Depending on the shop location. Enorian, at least when I was buying/selling there were averaging 90-100cr. 
    ErzsebetJensen
    Spinesreach/'loch were in that range when I got all of mine/my org's shops.

Only place that's ever been 200+ credits in my personal experience is Delos.
    imageimage
    It really depends on the current shop supply and the credit market. Right now, people are pretty flush with credits and credits are cheaper and shops are pretty limited, so 200 sounds about right. 

200 seems like a fine price for me. Rounding rather generously upwards and assuming you never buy credits from a city sale, that's only like... 1 million gold. That's a month or two of shopkeeping.
  • I sold a Delos shop for 400cr.

Infin
    edited April 2014
    Tbh, I considered selling off one of the shops 'kahi has, but it has so many casks that I can't re-locate to the shop I want to keep. :/

Wish there were a way to move them.
    imageimage
    What do you mean? Just pick them up and drop them and price them. They'll reset to wherever they were last priced to.
    Only if they belong to you. The person who owns them otherwise has to drop them, iirc?

imageimage
    Nope. They just need to be priced.
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Yeah. I move around other people's casks all the time.
    That's good to know. Yay, misinformation. >.>

imageimage
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Moirean said:
    that's only like... 1 million gold.
    *weep*
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    A million gold is more than a month or two of shopkeeping for the average shop. 
    ArbreErzsebet
  • Where are all these magically for sale shops? Whose daughter do I have to kidnap to acquire one? 

imageimage
  • Minarael said:
    I'm incredibly annoyed with the idea that I can't have a shop because an assortment of people are perpetually holding onto an item in a storeroom somewhere. 
    Preach
    Demarcus