The Timeline of Sapience

13»

Comments

• MaghakMaghak The heights of Stormcaller Crag
    Would you happen to have a source for information on that? I'd like to add it but I don't know the details myself.
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    edited February 2014
    Maghak said:
    Would you happen to have a source for information on that? I'd like to add it but I don't know the details myself.

I didn't log very much roleplay back then, so I only have a few notes from the OneNote file I mentioned in the Aetolian confessionals thread, so they're fairly focused on my character and the personal fallout for him. The general details I have are limited by their focus on my character and what I was exposed to as a player. Some things (like Anaphiel's involvement) Veovis didn't find out about until decades later. 

• 14 Slyphian 64 MA (March 2002) Abhorash takes Kauller as his fifth childe and gives her the Bouchard Bloodline. 
    • In 14 Mindsummer 65 MA Kauller becomes an Overlord of Bloodloch. 
    • Anaphiel Bahir'an becomes an Overlord of Bloodloch, replacing Zahmekoses Nebre'seir (this gives Kauller the votes she needs to become Keeper)
    • In 22 Lanosian 66 MA Duke Kazul (then the head of House Voltaire) discovers Kauller's coup and begins organizing a resistance. 
    • House Voltaire becomes the gathering place for all those who opposed Kauller and her brood.
    • Veovis ends up agreeing to infiltrate the new Bloodloch in an attempt to worm his way to power so that he can restore the Emperor to his proper place and hopefully win the Emperor's favor again (to say he has daddy issues where Abhorash is concerned is putting it mildly).
    • In 11 Slyphian 66 MA Veovis infiltrates Bloodloch, along with Milvushina. They take the surname di Moriah and convince the new regime that they're disaffected rogues who are grateful to Kauller for overthrowing Abhorash.
    • In 11 Haernos 68MA Kauller creates two new houses, House Dhenar (composed of D'baen who were dissatisfied with Faith) and House Consanguine (which was created for all the rogues without "proper" Bloodlines). 
    • In 2 Ios 69MA Kauller makes Veovis the head of House Shinta'moryu (the new name for "House Consanguine")
    • By Midautumn of 70MA Veovis worms his way onto the Overlord's Council after serving as Ambassador and Steward. 
    • Sometime around Variach and Ios of 76 MA Veovis cover as a mole for Abhorash is blown. Realizing he's not going to be able to return Abhorash as Keeper, he decides to do what damage he can to Kauller's regime and throws a number of prominent supporters out of the city. Veovis steals as much gold as he can from the city treasury and leaves  (interesting note, Severn's player threatened to have me shrubbed and banned, despite tons of documented roleplay. I had to have a meeting with Original Varian and everything). 
    Veovis had a difficult history with Abhorash. He had been a Shallamese priest and had heard stories of Abhorash and what Abhorash had become.  A couple of  IG decades before all of this, In a foolish attempt to bring Abhorash back to the light/the priesthood, Veovis went to Bloodloch and tried to meet with Abhorash. He did meet Abhorash and was so taken with him that he found himself agreeing to become the Emperor's thrall, after which he became a servant of House D'baen. Abhorash promised him Faith's Blood if he was able to convert enough priests to Abhorash's cause. He tried, convinced a few, but found House D'baen stifling, and the Emperor's attentions shifted to others.

Veovis' mentor Annalyn (then the GM of the priests) convinced him that he had been overcome by madness as a result of tasting Abhorash's Blood. She convinced him to  return to Shallam and the priests, which he eventually did. About five years after returning to the priests, he meets a strange, cloaked man while ministering to the Shallamese poor. Freaky stuff happens in a museum, and Veovis ends up the childe of Grontur Bahir'an, who, unknown to him, is one of the few rogue vampires in existence at the time. About a month after Abhorash is replaced as Keeper Veovis finally gets up the courage to tell Abhorash he wants to return and that he'll do anything for another taste of the Emperor's Blood. This set in motion Veovis failed coup to re-instate Abhorash as Keeper. The abandonment he felt when Abhorash did nothing to support him during his time under cover still plays a large role in his relationship with Abhorash (which verges on loathing and something near worship depending on the day). 

Not that this is really related, but during his more worshipful moments, Veovis more or less venerated Abhorash as a god and made blood offerings to him in an attempt to rouse him from Torpor. I wish I still had a a log of Veovis creating the small wooden idol with the Rajamala fur a Salurian sage told Veovis was from Abhorash's original Rajamala body. He used to put it on the shrine he had to Belladona in the old Nebre'seir spire. Led to some pretty creepy good times. 

You're probably going to condense all of this down to "In 66MA Princess Kauller Bouchard overthrows Abhorash and replaces him as Keeper" but it was a fun walk down memory lane. I honestly can't believe the events I described occurred almost 12 real years ago. Crikey. 
    MaghakBakhtuhXenia
  • I'm curious, when exactly did the timeline between Achaea and Aetolia split off into either "reality"? It's clearly the "same continent", and there are even mentions of Ashtan in the lore, and there's still the ruins of Hashan present in the game as well, exactly where it is in Achaea, while Tasur'ke went off and became a zombie-town with a road north out of it to lead into Spinesreach, and while Cyrene never existed, Bloodloch was chosen near the now undead village of El'Jazira (which no longer exists in Achaea anyways at this point, unless you really wanna call a lake full of relatively boiling hot water and a smattering of tattered tents a "village".) While Shallam went off and became either Enorian or Duiran (referring to the player-run city that lies almost directly south of Delos...and even so, Shallam got wrecked over in Achaea, sunken to the bottom of the sea during the same events that destroyed El'Jazira), and I'm trying to actually attempt to pin-point the other city at this point, though I can point to the fact that it appears that Mhaldor was never granted ability to form, and the Infernal Knights that would have formed it, were not chased out of Ashtan before it was destroyed, and instead joined the Consanguine in Bloodloch, before, through a various number of events that I'm not gonna go into detail here with, becoming the Carnifex Guild and moving their presence out of Bloodloch and outside of any city's influence....

sorry, Achaean fella that payed a little too much attention in during his completion of the Achaean History Quest (it's actually a really fun and neat quest to do in Achaea, and at the end, if you complete the long-ish quest, you not only are presented with a chance to learn where a LOT of useful places are in Achaea as well as the general layout of the game's map, but you know the history of all the in game cities, AND you get 5 credits at the end too, which is a nice encouragement for most new players, and wouldn't mind it being presented here in Aetolia.) 

Either way, In spite of seeing where the dominos were not able to fall to create Sapience as Achaea knows it, and what dominos that DID fall led to the creation of Aetolia as we know it, there still isn't any clarity in WHERE the timelines actually split off..
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    edited April 2014
    Lykorn said:
    I'm curious, when exactly did the timeline between Achaea and Aetolia split off into either "reality"? It's clearly the "same continent", and there are even mentions of Ashtan in the lore, and there's still the ruins of Hashan present in the game as well, exactly where it is in Achaea, while Tasur'ke went off and became a zombie-town with a road north out of it to lead into Spinesreach, and while Cyrene never existed, Bloodloch was chosen near the now undead village of El'Jazira (which no longer exists in Achaea anyways at this point, unless you really wanna call a lake full of relatively boiling hot water and a smattering of tattered tents a "village".) While Shallam went off and became either Enorian or Duiran (referring to the player-run city that lies almost directly south of Delos...and even so, Shallam got wrecked over in Achaea, sunken to the bottom of the sea during the same events that destroyed El'Jazira), and I'm trying to actually attempt to pin-point the other city at this point, though I can point to the fact that it appears that Mhaldor was never granted ability to form, and the Infernal Knights that would have formed it, were not chased out of Ashtan before it was destroyed, and instead joined the Consanguine in Bloodloch, before, through a various number of events that I'm not gonna go into detail here with, becoming the Carnifex Guild and moving their presence out of Bloodloch and outside of any city's influence....

sorry, Achaean fella that payed a little too much attention in during his completion of the Achaean History Quest (it's actually a really fun and neat quest to do in Achaea, and at the end, if you complete the long-ish quest, you not only are presented with a chance to learn where a LOT of useful places are in Achaea as well as the general layout of the game's map, but you know the history of all the in game cities, AND you get 5 credits at the end too, which is a nice encouragement for most new players, and wouldn't mind it being presented here in Aetolia.) 

Either way, In spite of seeing where the dominos were not able to fall to create Sapience as Achaea knows it, and what dominos that DID fall led to the creation of Aetolia as we know it, there still isn't any clarity in WHERE the timelines actually split off..
    As far as I'm aware, Achaea does not exist in Aetolian lore, so there is no need to show where there is a split. It's kind of like those spin-off series based on a show/book/movie but not actually of the original's universe.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Ishin
    The split occurred before recorded history, and is still a canonical event in the Aetolia lore. Saying more than this would be edging into spoiler territory.
  • Maghak said:
    The split occurred before recorded history, and is still a canonical event in the Aetolia lore. Saying more than this would be edging into spoiler territory.
    It's my understanding that the reason the aetolian world exists is because of some shenanigans Varian pulled in the Achean world. Some big release event for the starting of Aetolia.

That said, @Lykorn, people in Achaea may be aware that the universe that contains Aetolia exists, but as far as people are concerned in Aetolia, there's no Achaea. None of the PC characters are aware of it, anyway. Maybe some of the gods are. There's been a push over the last several years to update any legacy content, so places like Ashtan no longer exist in Aetolia. Through events places have changed or been destroyed. The most recent example here is the ruins of Hashan which were just destroyed in an event a few days ago.

Xavin said:
    Maghak said:
    It's my understanding that the reason the aetolian world exists is because of some shenanigans Varian pulled in the Achean world. Some big release event for the starting of Aetolia.
    Do not assume that because something is canon for Achaea regarding Aetolia's creation, then it is canon for us! It was over a decade ago, after all.
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    @Lykorn - if you're ever just interested in what happened with the split, I can tell you. However, like Maghak has said, just because it is canon in Achaea does not mean it is for Aetolia. Achaea is not acknowledged or known about in Aetolia, so we know nothing of the events when the splitting happened. And like Xavin said, a lot of legacy areas are being forced to change to kind of drive away to new content.

Now, just for the sake of answering a few things, Shallam turned into Enorian. Duiran is Eleusis, essentially, though even that has changed into its own different area overall (you know, removal of legacy things). When the split happened, we had Ashtan, Eleusis, and Shallam from legacy with Bloodloch being the new city. Hashan was already in ruins. Mhaldor/Cyrene didn't exist when the split happened, iirc (been so many years and all since it happened). Spinesreach didn't exist originally with the split and came into play later. So, in the end, Aetolia is its own game with a lot of canon still being figured out. Makes things interesting. :)

• All this can be explained quite easily:

ARTIFICE
    BenedictoSolariaHavenLinPiperEmelle
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited April 2014
    The Aetolian Saga is part of Achaea Lore (DISCLAIMER: NOT AETOLIAN LORE)

Varian, known as the "Other," was an entity from outside creation nearly equal in power to Sarapis, 
    Who revealed Himself toSapience in 287 AF during what is now known as the Aetolian Saga.

The Aetolian Saga was a dark time for Achaeans, and it began in 287 AF with the return of Phaestus to 
    the realms. The Smith spoke of a mysterious being called the "Other," Who had imprisoned Him inside 
    His Hammer for many years. Shortly thereafter, the Gods began to lose Their memories, denying recent 
    events and confusing Achaeans. Those of the Order of Valnurana were the next to hear of the 
    mysterious Other, Whose arrival seemed imminent.

Initially killing Achaeans at random and changing the races of many to those of Satyrs and Sirens, 
    the Other revealed Himself with force, causing great disturbances to the weather in the land. Soon, a 
    gilded chest fell from the sky. The key to this chest was discovered to be in the possession of the 
    Great Mhunna, and after a great many casualties to obtain it, Shakti Devi finally succeeded in doing 
    so and opening the chest. A giant, flaming arrow then flew from the chest and headed for Shallam, 
    where it struck with fury, demolishing the Chrysalis Basilica and leaving a gaping hole in its wake. 

A second chest promptly fell from the sky, and after retrieving its key, Charlotte Vouivre opened the 
    second chest, releasing a fiery vortex over Hashan that caused the deaths of all gathered there.

At this point, the Other revealed Himself to be Varian, a being from outside Creation and Whose 
    intent was to make Achaea His own. To prevent this from happening, Sarapis created a mirror image of 
    Achaea to which Varian was banished, as the Logos was unable to simply destroy Varian. This new world
    was named Aetolia, severed from Achaea, and set on its own course.

Lasting effects of the Aetolian Saga include the founding of the Shamans and Runewardens, as well as 
    the rediscovery of Cyrene.
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    This is why opening sky chests is bad.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    Lin
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Scumbag Varian: Invents Sirens, doesn't bring them to Aetolia.

AND WHY DID THEY KEEP OPENING THE CHESTS I MEAN JESUS THE FIRST ONE HAD A FLAMING ARROW
    AarbrokSetneElie
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    Lin said:
    Scumbag Varian: Invents Sirens, doesn't bring them to Aetolia.

AND WHY DID THEY KEEP OPENING THE CHESTS I MEAN JESUS THE FIRST ONE HAD A FLAMING ARROW
    Because, man, because. I worked a little bit on that event on the divine side, and I was curious to see whether players would keep opening what were clearly giant doom boxes from the sky. They did. Players will do anything for an event. 
    LinXavinDamarielIshinElie
  • heh, at everyone commenting on my references to the most recent stuff that happened in Achaea, I wasn't meaning that Achaea stuff SHOULD be mentioned or even referenced in Aetolia, It was more or less a question of "when did the split HAPPEN, because I really want a reference point to examine in ACHAEAN history to go "huh...so THAT'S how the dominoes fell differently in these two "timelines/universes". I just happened to mention the different changes over Achaean history, compared to Aetolia's lore changes, at least based on what I know of Aetolian lore, for reference to those who might not know Achaea's lore all that well.

So...it was back when Phaestus was first released from his hammer? Hrm. Alright, thanks!
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Infernals moved from Ashtan to BL fairly earlyish in the game's history. They then moved out of BL to Mount Gallows around 3 years ago, due to player politics, and became Carnifex around 2.5 years ago. You can read the guild news to find the exact dates.

We have a pretty cool option in Aet called SEARCHNEWS. Just use SEARCHNEWS <section> <keyword> to easily filter through old news posts.
  • Never knew why guilds were always moved around through Aetolia's history at the beseech of player requests. One Divine moves it here, another undoes it and moves it elsewhere, and so forth. Shows lack of stability and proper planning.

Number 1 rule in gaming: Never allow the players to push changes -they- feel are justified simply because.
    BenedictoSolariaHavenHadoryu
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Calipso said:
    Never knew why guilds were always moved around through Aetolia's history at the beseech of player requests. One Divine moves it here, another undoes it and moves it elsewhere, and so forth. Shows lack of stability and proper planning.

Number 1 rule in gaming: Never allow the players to push changes -they- feel are justified simply because.
    Don't assume that they were done solely at a player's request. Higher up admins are always consulted before any guild is moved, and a lot of thought is always put into any of it. That's why some guilds have never been moved, though they have requested time and time again to be moved.

• Solaria said:
    Calipso said:
    Never knew why guilds were always moved around through Aetolia's history at the beseech of player requests. One Divine moves it here, another undoes it and moves it elsewhere, and so forth. Shows lack of stability and proper planning.

Don't assume that they were done solely at a player's request. Higher up admins are always consulted before any guild is moved, and a lot of thought is always put into any of it. That's why some guilds have never been moved, though they have requested time and time again to be moved.
    Pretty much this. I was involved in some of the rp around the infernals moving out of bloodloch. The long and the short of it is that both sides of the conflict had issues with things the other side was doing/encouraging and neither side wanted to budge. So the infernals moved.

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    The Sentaari were offered a chance to locate outside a city at one point, but chose not to.

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    I've been involved in two guild moves -- the removal of the Sentaari from Enorian to Ashtan, and the relocation of the Ascendril into Enorian. I also turned down the Magi when they asked to land in Enorian (but wanted to keep Galleus as patron). All of those involved RP, and pretty extensively.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."