The Beginning of the End; or, In which Emelle loses her proverbial marbles

EmelleEmelle DreamshaperTecpatl's Cradle
edited July 2018 in Roleplay Logs
In the span of just a few short IG months, Emelle's Goddess decided to go on vacay, her beloved (and notoriously capricious) husband abruptly left her and their young daughter, and pretty much everyone quit her Order, including someone who took a Very Important Artifact with her.

Instability ensues.

--

The moth pits.
Once a great, pillared hall of some sort, the ruin and devastation that lies here has been overgrown by brambled vines and all manner of strange plants. Stone is visible here and there beneath the greenery, but sight is made difficult by the mass of luminous moths that fills this room; purple, bright, and arrayed in all shapes and sizes, they dominate the immediate area. A sloping stair at one of the room's edges leads upward and out of the moth-infested mass. There are 5 dusky purple moths here. The shimmering heights of a waterfall crash down here, streaming deep into the earth from a source above.
Show Me the way to My people, whether in oath or in the Morgun. Show Me the way to you. Show Me the way to Me. Show Me the way to Mine.
You see a single exit leading up.

You say, "Show me the way to Omei."
The waterfall rushes on, not heeding your command.

You have emoted: Emelle clenches her fists and stares hard at a shimmering waterfall, her eye narrowing.

You yell, "Show me!"

Rivas tells you, "You alright, lass?"

You tell Rivas Silverain, "<unicorn>'s sake, of course I'm not alright, Rivas! Not even the courtesy to speak to me, let alone write me a <silly> letter. Now I have two fatherless daughters. Two. Godspit and <rhymes with 'spit'>, what is WRONG with me?"

Rivas tells you, "You're better than the men you choose, Emelle. That's always been the case, trust me."

You have emoted: Emelle shrieks and throws herself at a shimmering waterfall, slashing her arms into the rushing spray. Her hair and clothes are quickly drenched, but she continues to push against the water, sobbing now.

You yell, "SHOW ME!"

You have emoted: Eventually overcome, Emelle drops onto her knees under the rushing water and hangs her head. She heaves in a deep breath, features contorted in agony, then tilts her head back into the air.

You tell Rivas Silverain, "Better, what does that even mean, better? Is this all people are to each other? They use and use, careless, indulgent, selfish, SELFISH."

You have emoted: Emelle drags herself out of the water and stands, still glaring at the waterfall. "Everyone I love leaves me," she accuses it through clenched teeth, tears sliding down her damp cheeks, their paths slowed by the existing condensation.

Rivas tells you, "It means that the grief you've experienced from undeserving men like myself or Ingram is entirely our own doing, and is entirely our own mistake to make."

Rivas tells you, "This is the part where I'd show up and offer myself if you needed a shoulder to cry on or a surrogate jaw to punch...but I admittedly don't know how to reach you in that place."

You tell Rivas Silverain, "They cannot be only others' mistakes. I must be making mistakes. Mistake after mistake. I am done. I will read the godsdamned book myself, I will find out what my purpose is, I will fulfill it and I will finally be finished with all of this."

[move]

A soothing glade.
The bright sun shines down, blanketing you with its life-giving warmth. A thick canopy of interwoven pines makes a dark green canopy far above the glade. Soft, thick moss covers the small clearing, its surface appearing springy and delightful. Warm breezes drift in through the creaking trees, caressing with a gentle touch. The thick canopy above casts an eternal twilight of dark green upon the moss, the darkness appearing smooth and soothing. Feathery branches of young pines reach towards the glade, swaying in a whispered lullaby. The delicious smell of sap wafts over the area, relaxing and intoxicating at the same time. The shimmering waters of the lake lap against the shore invitingly. A giant monolith lies to the southeast, its octagonally-shaped height bordering the lake.
You see exits leading southeast, south, and west.

Teani tells you, "Hi there."

You tell Evening Sky, Teani Fiadhaich, "What?" The word snaps painfully in your mind, sharp and choked. "What, Teani?"

Teani tells you, "I... just wanted to know if you're alright. I supposed you would not be, all things considered."

You tell Evening Sky, Teani Fiadhaich, "How is it I am the last to know? Not a word, not a letter, after everything, I do not, cannot."

Teani arrives from the west.

You have emoted: Emelle is just standing here, sopping wet from head to toe.

Rivas tells you, "You don't have to be alone, Em. Not unless you want to be."

You tell Rivas Silverain, "Everyone I love leaves me, Rivas. Everyone except my girls, and the only reason they do not leave is because they cannot take care of themselves."

Teani walks in and immediately moves over to you, embracing you without any concern for your state, transferring plenty of moisture to herself. "There, calm..." she says soothingly.

You have emoted: Composure already forgone, Emelle sobs and tries to shove Teani away, thrashing her elbows and pulling back with all her weight. "No!" she shrieks, "No!"

Rivas tells you, "My current scenario notwithstanding...you can believe me when I say I know of what you speak."

Teani holds on tightly, not allowing you to tear free unless taking to more violence. "Shh," she hushes, braving the elbows without concern for possible bruises.

Rivas tells you, "Is there anything I can do for you, Em? Any burden I can bear for you, any role I can fulfill that would help ease your pain?"

You have emoted: Emelle doesn't let up, even as she's wracked by full-body sobs. Her movements aren't purposefully violent; in fact, they're just a flurry of uncontrolled upset, completely lacking in any of her usual finesse. She's too breathless to speak, so she makes choking sounds, red-faced, wet hair sticking to her cheeks.

You tell Rivas Silverain, "Ha--" Caustic laughter seeps through the link, almost violent. "Ha, ha."

Stubbornly, Teani keeps her arms around you, waiting for you to calm somewhat. All the while, she maintains a low mumbling of platitudes more to pass time than to make much of a difference. One hand comes up to the back of your head, stroking the wet hair and pushing it towards her own shoulder.

You tell Rivas Silverain, "Where is Benedicto?"

Rivas tells you, "I haven't seen him regularly in ages, truly. I only hear from him sporadically, and not with any regularity."

You tell Rivas Silverain, "No, no, not him..."

You have emoted: It seems to take a long time for Emelle to exhaust herself, and when she eventually does, she hangs limply in Teani's arms, breathing heavily. "I am done," she announces with quiet determination. "Done. No more family, no more Goddess. Done, done..."

Rivas tells you, "I meant no offense by the offer, Em...but the offer does stand. You may no longer feel for me as you once did, but that doesn't mean I still don't feel connected to you. It doesn't mean I still don't wish to support you however you need it, should you let me."

You tell Rivas Silverain, "Does your mate still have the book?"

You tell Rivas Silverain, "I want it. Make her give it to me."

Rivas tells you, "Will she know what book you mean? I certainly don't."

You tell Rivas Silverain, "Yes."

Rivas tells you, "Oh...oh that book."

You tell Rivas Silverain, "Yes, that <very important!> book. It is mine now."

"You've been away, my friend." Teani counters, even though she knows it's not much consolation. "Much happens when we are not here to supervise." She leans back a little, still holding one arm around you to support you, letting the other hand come up to push some wet strands from your face. "And just because he left doesn't mean you have to leave your Lady."

Rivas tells you, "I'll pass the word along, lass, but I can't make her do anything she doesn't want to do. The two of you will likely speak soon."

You tell Rivas Silverain, "She left. I am not surprised. It is not for her to do anymore. My turn."

You have emoted: "I have not," Emelle hisses through her teeth, glaring at Teani with her monocular gaze. "Only tired. He knew, knows...how I am. <Unicorns>..." She pushes out of Teani's loosening grasp and wheels back a few steps, water dripping from the ends of her hair. "Everyone is gone again. They have all left, She left. I cannot be alone anymore, I am finished, DO YOU HEAR ME?!" Throwing her head back, she shouts this last at the sky, opening her arms.

You yell, "FINISHED! No more of this, none, NONE."

Rivas tells you, "I suggest a tone of civility when dealing with people who have something you want, Emelle, let alone the ones who are trying to help you. The best way to get the book from her is to not sound as much like the madness that once consumed your Goddess."

Rivas tells you, "I'm sorry to see you hurt, Em. Even moreso to think that I might have contributed to it. I'll leave you be."

"Emelle..." Teani tries, a frown marring her features. "Things always change and you can't stop them." She pauses, remaining where she is, watching you scream out your anguish. Not wanting to upset you further, but still wanting to make her point, she does not advance on you, offering a soft, "It's not the end, just a new beginning."

You have emoted: Emelle just shakes her head at Teani, her eye bloodshot and wide. "The beginning of the end," she murmurs, a glance flicked at the night sky before she stalks off without another word.

LinTeaniBenedictoArekaAryanneMoireanCiarelleXeniaHavenJasline

Comments

• BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Oh god Em, you're such a brilliant RPer. Even when it's just through tells.

Also I went :3 when I saw that Bene got a mention!
    LinEmelleXenia
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Lovely log. Very emotional and well-written. Poor Emelle. :(
    KatsziaXenia