LOVE

Comments

• I was wholly underwhelmed with Elder Sign. Arkham Horror is a much better designed game, it's more fun, it feels more seat-of-the-pants. Elder Sign sorta fails to be what it wants to be, imo. I'll have to see if any of my local games stores have Eldritch Horror, though. And the japanese schoolgirl tentacle board game. 

I just picked up Smash Up, Twilight Struggle, Space Alert and Munchkin Booty. So far, I haven't managed to get anyone to sit down for Twilight Struggle or Space Alert. Smash Up is fun and fast, and I managed to convince my mom to play it, which was amusing. 

Yay for growing board/card game collections. 

I'm happy because my daughter did awesome on her first on-stage performance, she's going to get interviewed by the local paper, she's playing our city's 4th of July festival on a big stage, and she's got several other gigs lined up. 

I'm happy that I'm adjusting to not living paycheck to paycheck. I keep having these odd moments where I panic about money and go check my assorted accounts and I still have almost a thousand and I'm 5 days from my next paycheck. 

Just life, generally. 
    imageimage
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    edited March 2014
    I love lamp.
    Aarbrok
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    I have a non-relationship with my mother. We see each other two or three times a year despite living in the same city, and we have nothing to say to one another beyond 'Hello' and 'It was nice to see you.'

On Saturday, I decided to invite her to lunch for Sunday, my day off. We made some general plans, and got together at a mall and had some food court lunch. I bought her a little bottle of her favorite orange oil stuff, and we parted ways, having spoken almost exactly as much as we always do.

And yet, I feel really good about it. I don't really know why - we're still distant, we still have nothing to say, and there is zero intent on either of our parts to get together again before the eighth of May, which is my nephew's birthday, and we always get together with the rest of the family on that day. I think it's just a matter of having done it that's got me posting this here. I may have nothing to say to my mother, and we've got so little in common beyond genetics it's almost odd to realize that we -are- related, but it felt really good to have lunch with her, even if we didn't talk much and doing it again in the near future would be weird for the both of us.

I got my aunt's phone number a couple of months before she passed, and I kept meaning to call her. I was always a lot closer to her than any of my other family members, and it's always been a sore point that I kept putting off that phone call. My mother is no sicker than she's ever been, and I have no reason to believe that I won't have another thirty years with her, but for some reason, it was important that I got to have lunch with her today.

I love my mom.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    MinaraelTeaniNeithanAryanneKaleighPerilunaHavenNolaBrayden
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Getting to meet other Aetolians and hanging out. <3@Ezalor. If I didn't have to work today, I would've stuck around longer. It was fun.
    EzalorHaven
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    @Maghak Bro. Epic. EPIC! So many <3's man. So many.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    FaerahKatszia
  • Ishin said:
    @Maghak Bro. Epic. EPIC! So many <3's man. So many.
    I got a sneak peak (including what he did with @Killien). Mag is like rough around the edges. Fun stuff!
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    If you think just the edges are rough, you might need to reassess a little...

AarbrokLin
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    I love the sig of @demarcus!

I also just got done reading the full Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series. What a brilliant set of books, though I did feel they ended rather anti-climatically. A bit like the ending of the Mass Effect series. But overall still amazing.
    DemarcusMaghakHavenJensenIshin
    Aryanne said:
    To join the boardgaming love, I'm slowly getting pretty excited for GameStorm next week. (basically it's a big board-gaming convention that *miraculously* takes place in Vancouver instead of Portland and is 4 days of gamesgamesgamesgamesgames as much as I want.)

Sign ups for joining games started this week, so I'll be getting my epically-obsessed-game-on soon. Woo! And since I'm -finally- a normal, full-time employee, I get vacation time to take off for it!

Hate on current boardgame situation. Went from having a local board game store/community that the wife and I could play boardgames with darn near daily to having not played Arkham, Battlestar Galactica, etc. in over a year.
  • CarivahCarivah Tremble, little lionfish
    Love: how many Aetolians are board gamers.

Hate: how my shops of choice don't have any copies of Fury of Dracula. Guess it's time to eBay.
  • @Demarcus - I've been pretty much in the same boat. My misters don't really enjoy board gaming like I do, and the group I had going fell apart as people moved away. So I have this huge stack of board games gathering dust. 

We used to have a group that got together once a week. One week we did general board gaming/Elfquest and the other week we played Dune. If you have never seen or encountered the Dune board game and you have enough people to play, go find the rules and basic set up on boardgamegeek and play it. Seriously. But... I went from all the nerd social times to none of them. Sucked a lot. :P

Anyway - not just one, but TWO new tabletop oriented stores opened up within five minutes of my house in the last two months. Both of them host game nights on days I'm off. Someday, my life will be chill enough that I can actually -go- and play games with random strangers.

-puts her geekery back in the box-
    imageimage
    Minarael said:
    @Demarcus - I've been pretty much in the same boat. My misters don't really enjoy board gaming like I do, and the group I had going fell apart as people moved away. So I have this huge stack of board games gathering dust. 

We used to have a group that got together once a week. One week we did general board gaming/Elfquest and the other week we played Dune. If you have never seen or encountered the Dune board game and you have enough people to play, go find the rules and basic set up on boardgamegeek and play it. Seriously. But... I went from all the nerd social times to none of them. Sucked a lot. :P

Anyway - not just one, but TWO new tabletop oriented stores opened up within five minutes of my house in the last two months. Both of them host game nights on days I'm off. Someday, my life will be chill enough that I can actually -go- and play games with random strangers.

-puts her geekery back in the box-

No way in heck I'd have time to play if there were anyone to play with. My wife's best friend/son's godmother and her boyfriend are psuedo-geeky and enjoy board games and Magic:The Gathering, so there is some potential there for board gamery, because I'm working like 12 days straight/14 hour days with 1 or 2 days off inbetween, depending on what our ARVP feels like for the week.

Oh a slightly unrelated note...

LOVE: Having hope. Grad school application submitted. Awaiting Program Decision is the official status.

HATE: Waiting. On one hand, I feel like it's a slam dunk, on the other hand... afraid it'll be like NBA Hang Time and you go for a dunk and it goes BOOOING! and the ball goes flying well past half court. Yeah. About that.

• SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    I love that there are only 2 more days left. Two..more..freaking..days. I can't stand it. >.<

• PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    edited March 2014
    My new white shengshou 3x3x3 has shipped and so have my new stickers for it. I will soon be the one on the bus solving a puzzle cube that has purple, pink, and aqua sides! So pretty!

*excited*

Also because Chicken.
    IshinAarbrok
  • How often I come across the whole "free photobook" selection from shutterfly.
    I'm about to start my fourth free one, and am now running out of things to make with them! 
    Means more adventures are in the works :D
    Hopefully another one of these deals will come up when it's time to order the guest book I've been making for wedding day *crosses fingers* 
  • This is almost a love/hate. I get a three day weekend, which I am hoping I can rest up as I feel like I haven't slept in a week. On the downside, less hours at work is sucky. But I get to sleep in, so love for that.
    imageimage
    IshinAarbrokXavin
  • My hair got more orange overnight. 
    Ishin
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    My loot crate finally arrived! It's awesome and I love it.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    AryanneDemarcus
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage

@solaria, so happy for you!!! <3 And i miss you. :/

My own love...

*Working with chocolate 5 Days of the week.

*Chocolate obviously makes me happy.

*Using rl chocolate recipes in-game.

*Having great co-workers or the first time of my Life.

*Feeling better tha -I have in... Gods know how long.

I'm pretty sure my friend who passed has something to do with all of this. He's watching over me. <3

KerrynSolariaKatsziaTeaniCiarelleMoireanKaleighPeriluna
  • My brother is going active duty in the Navy. I'll miss him a lot but I'm glad he'll be doing something that makes him happy again.
    Demarcus
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    @Jasline SQUIIIIIDS! They're cool. Someone's gotta taxi us Marines places. You sure as shit couldn't give US the damn boats, we'd have landed on every foreign country along the way, conquered it, and had'em sending tithes back to DC before we left the gulf and the Caribbean.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    HavenDemarcusJasline
  • The few, the proud, the My A<unicorn> Rides In Navy Equiment

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Found a decent deal on a new computer with adequate ram, SO EXCITED
    XavinTozIshin
  • You bought ram? Best Buy suckered you. http://downloadmoreram.com/ - You're welcome!

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Man I should download some more gigabytes too!
  • imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • Lord of Butts morelike.