Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Draiman said:
    I know, I'm being a smart ass. Should prolly just get rid of the post.
    Nooooooooo! Leave it for da curious and nosey.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    The rage was a rage/flame bait. A pretty weak one, but it was one all the same.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• Swordfish no longer shall mob_impale you!

RiluoKatsziaLinDaskalosSarita
  • Legs in Tiyen next? *ducks* (No but really...)
    LinVeovis
  • Slyphe said:
    Swordfish no longer shall mob_impale you!
    You fiend! You mutilated them. Some god of the sea,hmph.
    Rowena
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Logging into guild drama last night about a subject that had no place on GT to begin with and having to throw my ego around to shut it up. While it's awesome to still have the ability and the authority to still break these things up and it lead to a Sacrament of Enmity (guild ritual for guild members to resolve a dispute by killing each other and then dropping the argument afterwards), I still don't like seeing that the Sentinels are getting plagued by drama that crippled it a long time ago. 
    XavinIshin
  • Katszia said:
    Legs in Tiyen next? *ducks* (No but really...)
    No.
    Jensen
  • I feel like mob_impale is a neat affliction. But I can understand the frustration that people have with it. That said, I don't really think it's much worse than typical entangle that mobs throw.

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    It seems much more like a BOSS MOB thing.
    LinKatszia
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    When normal mobs web, you get a respite from damage because they did ropes or whatever it is. When they impale, they do damage, then more damage, then passive damage while you writhe. It's not the impale, it's the damage that comes with it.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Bashing in a place like Tiyen is kinda like being dared to shoot some hard tequila.

Bashing in a place like Tiyen when the mobs have mob_impale is like getting ready to take that shot, then some jerkoff punches the shot glass into your teeth.
    DaingeanIshinRivasKatsziaErzsebet
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    However, the legs are spread out, and unless you run into a whisper\legs combination they're able to be handled. The swordfish grouped up and you just sat there and died.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I was hoping that wasn't just me, Toz.

I rage at people who make me want to grab them by their little e-necks and choke the e-life out of them. Just 'cause we're on the internets doesn't suddenly make you a badass.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    ArekaAarbrokRiluoXavinSolariaLinXiuhcoatlFerrik
  • edited March 2014
    Ishin said:
    I was hoping that wasn't just me, Toz.

I rage at people who make me want to grab them by their little e-necks and choke the e-life out of them. Just 'cause we're on the internets doesn't suddenly make you a badass.
    Warning: NSFW: Profanity, angry bird, lifting. [spoiler] hope this works, I suck at HTML[/spoiler]
    IshinJensenAarbrokRivasTozRiluo
  • @ishin Internet badassery makes me laugh. So hard.

That's all you can do, bro. Even if you -were- mad enough to go give them a tune up.. really? Now you're the asshole. :)
    IshinSlyphe
  • edited March 2014

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

ArenXavinLinIshinDraiman
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    @Rashar You've no idea how mad I used to get back in the day >.>
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    ArekaRivas
  • edited March 2014
    Haern said:
    Katszia said:
    Legs in Tiyen next? *ducks* (No but really...)
    No.
    Hate. So much hate.

(As in why you gotta... not I hate you! Tired. Editing for avoiding it being seen as flame-bait cause er'body seems to like to jump on that train).
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    NO FLAME BAIT, PLEASE! Disagreements may cause flame wars. Those very flame wars will happen on this website if started, therefore Aetolia's servers might catch on fire and may get damaged, and spread to the rest of the internet via gravity. It's physics. These flame wars will be the depth of the internet — not DEATH, but they are similar concepts, because they're similarly pronounced. Furthermore, many computers are connected to those servers and they might catch on fire, too. Ergo, fire is bad. So, remember to always douse your computer with water when under a disagreement.

Thank you.
    PerilunaXiuhcoatlMaghak
    what
    ArekaSetneRivas
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Not my rant, but it's too good NOT to use.
    Xiuhcoatl
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    This is going to be unpopular, I'm sure, but I really rage at the creation of mudlet or, rather, the specifics they went with. I understand that the client is far superior, hence the migration over to it - it's also one that uses a more robust and complex language. A few years ago, you could just be like "oh type in #blah blah" and a newb would have a functional setting. zscript is derpy, but its basics are really easy to explain - I could take a newb from 0 to a set of basic functional triggers and aliases in 30 minutes. Mudlet being better means that nearly everyone uses that now and the systems are there as well, so that's the client new players have to use and from what I've seen it's a lot harder to walk a newb through basic setup and get them out making their own settings.
    ArekaXiuhcoatl
    I know this is going to sound patronizing, but... Lua is easy. It's really, really easy. It uses very human-readable syntax and there are a bazillion ways to do everything, from declaring a variable, to creating a table, to calling a function. I've tried big-person programming languages like C and just went "nope, I'm too stupid to do this". Lua just clicks after a while. It might seem like a whacko language because you're so used to Zscript, but the truth is that Zscript and by extension, the clients that use it, sacrifice a lot of sane programming practices in the name of usability (setting variables in the trigger pattern; weird and inconsistent option/argument order in various commands; etc.).
    SetneMaghak
  • Honestly, I've found z/cscript and lua to be pretty darn similar. Some of the things are different, especially wildcards, but a lot of it is very similar.

I think one of the biggest hurdles with converting from Zscript is how variables can seem so abstract. I can't argue the convenience of being able to scroll through every variable stored by the system and check its value. You learn to work without in Lua, though. Creating local variables and adhering to good naming conventions works out very nicely in the long run.
    ArekaXavinIshin
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Variables are definitely the biggest hurdle I've had in dabbling (and by dabbling I mean "I'm going to try this, nope, nope I'm crying already") with mudlet.
    AryanneIshin
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    It's harder to pick up at first, but much easier to master.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I am not talking about converting from zscript or use for myself. I am sure I could figure it out fine given time. I've written scripts for Spirean clans for mudlet after poking around at the help files for 20 mins, and I've written add-ons for WoW. I'm talking about usability for newbies. Things like persistent variables and command line setting creation really facilitate newbs being able to make settings easily. The UI for mudlet is not newbie friendly (granted, I'm not a fan of CMUD's UI either, zMUD was way better for new users), the help documentation is incomplete, and the sane coding practices that it includes may make it better for coding in general, but it makes it worse for new users making stuff specifically for a mud, which is why specialized clients like cmud were created. I'm hardly arguing that cmud is good - it's outdated and flawed and all that - but I am just saying it's frustrating that mudlet was designed really just for people who are experienced players and it's hard for a brand new mudder to dive into.

90% of Aet's established players using mudlet and directing people to mudlet is something that frustrates me because every few weeks I see a newbie just despairing over doing something like making basic settings because the client is over their head. I think part of this is due to the feeling that you HAVE to have a system to play, so new players quickly pick up a system and find themselves neck deep in complex code. I'm not really raging directly at mudlet. It's more a sideways "Damn you for being so popular, why couldn't you have been designed to be more accessible/accommodating to a range of user types". 
    ArekaLin
  • Is there any sort of idiot's guide to basic set up with Mudlet?  ..if not, why not? It doesn't seem like it would be terribly challenging to make a very basic, step-by-step guide to the basics of system building in mudlet. Newbies really need only a very few things to get started at least bashing and getting around in the game. There are free mudlet systems that they can reverse engineer and places to get help if they get in over their head. 

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.