Chaos in the North?!

2»

Comments

• edited March 2014
    It's IRE. Guilds have their ups and downs in terms of members. People who don't like changes in leadership move on. It happens. It'll keep happening.

From what I've been seeing, Ishin's choice to do what he did has created a ripple effect and RP for a LOT of people, not just the Syssin. Logs being posted from Big Daddy D's ( @Damariel ) order. Stuff going on in Spines with having to bury the guards (is there a log I need to find of that cause I'm curious!). Lots of little ripples of RP in lots of places. Choices like that are what give IRE flavor, because they weren't expected, and it just goes to show that the choices we as players make can affect lots of people, gods included.
    IshinFaerah
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited March 2014
    The funeral. Ishin's punishment was to bury the guards himself.

[spoiler]
    Ishin tells you, "I'm ready when you are, Chairimp."

(Spinesreach): You say, "We are - rather, Ishin is - about the bury the fallen guards, the ones who gave their lives during Damariel's rampage."

Curtly, you say to Ishin, "Come."

(Spinesreach): Kallah says, "Hmm and I'm missing this? Mind if I pop by?"

(Spinesreach): Kelliara says, "Mmph?"

(Spinesreach): You say, "If you wish to attend the service, you can meet me us at the cemetery - path find 54059."

(Spinesreach): Kallah says, "Coming."

*** walk walk walk ***

Hoplites' Hill. (Spinesreach.)
    The stars twinkle in the clear night sky. A long, low hill rises above the rest of the cemetery here, spotted with small groves of hardy evergreens. From this vantage, the outer ward of the city is visible off towards the west, estates and guildhalls, inns and taverns creating a bustling backdrop for the calm, sobering sight in the foreground: orderly rows of white marble headstones, each carved with a name, date and military rank, honoring the Republic's soldiers who have fallen in battle. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. A conscripted Spirean soldier coldly scans the area for threats.
    You see exits leading north, northeast, and northwest.

Kallah inclines her head politely to you.

Ishin tucks his hands into his pockets, his eyes resting on you as he remains silent.

Kallah inclines her head politely to Ishin.

You have emoted: Moirean gives Kallah a sober nod.

Ishin nods his head at Kallah.

Canasius inclines his head politely to those around him.

Kallah inclines her head politely to Canasius.

Ishin nods his head at Canasius.

(Spinesreach): You say, "We are having a service for the fallen guards, the ones who gave their lives during Damariel's rampage. All citizens are welcome to join us in the cemetery (path find 54059)"

You say to Ishin, "We will wait a bit longer for comrades to arrive."

Ishin nods agreeably at you. "That's fine," he says.

Canasius catches your eye and locks gaze before dazzling you with a bow that would put royalty to shame.

You nod your head at Canasius.

Canasius says to you, "You are the first I have bowed to in over ninety years."

You frown at Canasius.

Canasius says to you, "You deserve such respect with your leadership of the Republic through the war and everything you do to lead the Republic."

Kallah tells you, "Do we know their names? I could say a few words if you liked?"

You have emoted: Moirean's frown remains, and her brow furrows, considering the words, but she eventually gives a short nod of thanks to Canasius.

Clearing her throat, you say to Ishin, "It's time. Kallah would like to say a few words, before the burial."

Isabeau enters the cemetery quietly, leaning against an evergreen at the edges of the gathered mourners.

Ishin nods at you. "All right."

You conjure up the illusion: A row of graves lay open to the sky at the very top of the hill, freshly dug, with a mound of frosty earth piled to the right of each one. To the left, a long, glossy coffin sits - eight in number, each carved with a magnificent engraving of the Spirean crest and topped with a wreath of ivory and crimson roses.

Kallah smiles, though the smile is rather forced and quite noticeably so as she walks over to stand by the freshly dug earth and coffins.

Straightening into rigid, militant attention, Xenia squares her shoulders and crisply salutes you.

Straightening into rigid, militant attention, you square your shoulders and crisply salute Xenia.

You have emoted: Moirean folds her arms behind her back, feet spread in a steady stance as she surveys the freshly dug graves and the coffins beside them.

Xenia leaves a massive arctic grizzly some distance from the group before making her way, taking a position near the rear of the gathered citizens.

Eleanor tucks her hands behind her back, finding an unobtrusive place to stand.

Casting a glance at Ishin, and standing completely still, she rests her folded hands at her waist as Kallah watches and waits for everyone to arrive.

Ishin stands over near you, his crimson eyes watching Kallah. His hands are, as usual, in his pockets, and his posture is relaxed as he waits calmly.

Kallah murmurs to you, "By your word Lady Chair.."

With a nod, you say to Kallah, "Whenever you wish to speak."

You have emoted: Moirean shifts her weight, eyes returning to the coffins beside the open graves. A light wind sweeps across the hill, rose petals on each wreathe rustling in a soft wave of crimson and ivory.

Gathering her folded hands closer, Kallah looks to you before clearing her throat. "I wished to speak a few words on the fallen of the Republic. It seem only fitting with a decent gravedigger and what not that they have a right proper burial and all." Stepping slowly towards the coffins, she turns and faces the crowd, her voice loud and clear, echoing through the cemetary as she begins. "So today we are gathered to honor these eight brave souls who so boldly gave their lives in defense of our city. I did not know then personally, nor do I know their names in which I feel terrible for, but their service to this city shall not be forgotten, even if it may have been cut so very short. My heart and prayers go out to their families, most of which have now lost a son, daughter, mother, father, etc." She places her hand in her pocket, producing eight small medallions with the Spirean crest atop it. Slowly walking up to each, she places the coin between the wreaths, stopping as she does so to murmur the same words as the coin presses against the flower, "We thank you for all you have done, all you could have done, and mostly for your dedication and loyalty to your home, your city. You will be missed."

Eleanor bows her head respectfully, her dark-eyed gaze on the open graves as the ceremony is enacted.

Ishin bows his head slightly as Kallah speaks, his crimson gaze still turned up towards the coffins.

You have emoted: Moirean listens in silence, watching Kallah deposit the small tokens atop each coffin. She remains quiet for span, before she clears her throat, asking, "Does anyone else have any words they would like to say?"

Kallah nods, finishing placing the last coin atop the last coffin and moving to stand near you and Ishin.

Eleanor shakes her head, just slightly, opting for respectful silence still.

Isabeau shifts her weight to slip slightly behind the trunk of the tree she leans on, fidgeting with a coin in her hand as she stares at the ground near the array of coffins.

Ishin says to you, "I do, at the end, when everyone else is done."

You have emoted: Moirean lets the silence stretch on, before she breaks it, voice quiet. "Every soldier who joins us knows what they are signing up for," she begins. "They know that they are risking their very life to serve against our enemies. They know they may fall for the Republic. They know this...but that does not make it any less painful and sad when that day comes."

You have emoted: "They don't serve for money," Moirean continues. "They don't serve for glory or fame or even for the cheap booze Thuneron likes to reward them with." She pauses, swallows, and then says, "They serve because this is our home, and they love it."

You have emoted: Moirean quietly finishes, "Those who die do so for others to live - they give their lives for the Republic to remain free. Their service is honored and valued."

Eleanor nods, murmuring a 'hear, hear,' under her breath.

Kaldaka glances about a moment before tilting his head back and begins a long low mournful howl to the icy air, eyes closed as he holds the note as long as he is able before falling silent. Head bowing and arms crossing across his chest in salute as he grows still holding his salute in respect.

You have emoted: The mournful note lingers on in a dwindling echo as the sun's first rays cast a dim glow over the hill. Moirean's eyes close, and she finally gives a slow nod over towards Ishin.

Ishin slowly moves forward towards the coffins, his hands finally coming out of his pockets. He reaches the first one and crouches down, reaching out to rest one dark hand upon its lid. "Some people," he says, his voice gentle but carrying. "Have no idea what it's like, to fight in a war." His hand moves slowly over the coffin's lid, stroking it gently. "They don't know what it's like to bury those who have fought by your side day in and day out. Not by the tens. Not by the score. But to dig graves for hundreds of hoplites after Enorian or Duiran has rallied to themselves."

You have emoted: Moirean's arms cross over her chest. She watches Ishin, a stern look on her face.

Ishin stands, moving over to the next coffin. This one he also crouches by, brushing his hand over the lid. He repeats this a few more times, before pausing on the sixth coffin. "I do," the Azudim finally continues. "Nobody feels your loss more than I. Nobody understands the sacrifice you all made trying to fight back against the Unbound like I do. You, who gave your lives to help keep us free from the yolk of blinding light, you who have sacrificed so that the rest of us might continue to live free."

Isabeau shifts her gaze to follow Ishin's movements more closely, a slight frown as she releases slowly a caught breath.

Kallah folds her arms behind her, simply watching respectfully and quietly.

Ishin takes the shovel, moving over to the last coffin after a pause at the seventh. "Your sacrifice was not in vain," he whispers down to the last coffin. "We have struck a grievous blow to He who opposes us, in principle if not in action. I hope that you all rest peacefully in the halls of the Underking, or within Ivoln's earthen embrace." He stands, finally, his crimson eyes moving slowly back down the line of coffins as he places the tip of his shovel on the ground. "Where do you have set aside for them, Chairwoman," he asks without looking away.

You conjure up the illusion (because Ishin is forgetful): A row of graves lay open to the sky at the very top of the hill, freshly dug, with a mound of frosty earth piled to the right of each one. To the left, a long, glossy coffin sits - eight in number, each carved with a magnificent engraving of the Spirean crest and topped with a wreath of ivory and crimson roses.

Ishin's eyes flick up to the open graves, and he nods. He lifts the shovel, heading over to the frosty mound of earth. He begins with the first one, the muscles hidden beneath his dark skin flexing powerfully as he piles shovel after shovel of dirt into each grave.

Ishin continues moving down the line, filling in grave by grave. By the end of the third grave, a fine sheen of sweat covers his shadowy flesh. He doesn't complain, though, and he doesn't slack up as he moves from one to the other. As the Azudim finishes the seventh, the undershirt covering his upper body is clearly soaked through with his sweat, and it can be seen dripping from his brow on occasion as he leans down to snag another shovel of frosty earth. Soon, even the last grave has been filled in, and Ishin leans down, resting one hand lightly on the last shovelful of soil, before standing and nodding to you.

Xenia inclines her head respectfully and murmurs a discrete farewell.

You have emoted: Moirean watches in absolute silence as the graves are filled in. Not a muscle twitches and her expression remains stern, the only movement her hair tangling in the wind.

You have emoted: After a long, heavy silence, Moirean quietly says, "Thank you. Everyone." She glances down the hill, back towards the avenue of pines leading through the cemetery. "These men and women were not the only ones to fall in service of the city, however. I encourage you all to pay your respects to our other veterans, either by visiting their graves or leaving tokens of your appreciation at the war memorial. Their service kept us safe."

(War memorial, to the north:

Veterans' monument amid an avenue of evergreens. (Spinesreach.)
    The stars twinkle in the clear night sky. A long avenue of verdant evergreens cuts through the heart of the cemetery, stretching from the immense wrought iron gates at the entry towards the distant rise of Hoplites' Hill. Midway along this shaded path, the road widens into a wide circle, parting to pass around a large marble monument. Elegant and earnest, the statue depicts a phalanx of soldiers, depicted in a breathless charge, weapons raised and faces alight with a patriotic fervor. Around this inspiring piece, small plaques have been affixed, listing the names of battle engagements from the city's past, from century-old wars against Ashtan in the Mamashi to tactical skirmishes against Duiran along the Northern Road to a war against a mad Queen in the Dry Plains. Nearly obscuring the official adornments, wreaths and bouquets have been left by visitors, the flowers circling the entire memorial to create a delicate base of blossoms which softly shifts in the wind to stir up sweet scents.

)

Eleanor nods her agreement, following the glance with her own eyes, though her own look in that direction lingers.

You have emoted: On that solemn note, Moirean gives a faint nod, quietly excusing herself.
    [/spoiler]
    KatsziaTeaniIshin
  • I don't think I've ever in the (way too many) years I've played IRE seen anyone do a funeral for guards. That's awesome. Thanks for sharing!

(wtb what's in the water (alcohol?) for Spines for every other city in the game)

• Katszia said:

(wtb what's in the water (alcohol?) for Spines for every other city in the game)
    @Moirean

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

AarbrokIshin
  • Toz said:

Katszia said:

@Moirean
    Yeah well boo at that @Toz. Despite agreeing. Feh. There's only one of her! Technically...