A Clash of Ideals

HavenHaven World BurnerFlight School
Backstory: There was a lesser leyline that Haven found. Being completely orgless, he called upon Dato to come tap it in Enorian's name since Haven has long since been ousted from the city due to his conflict with Rivas and Arbre being the last straw. Dato arrives with Daskalos and shortly Aishia. Refusing to work with a member of Duiran, Haven departs, and consequently leaves them outnumbered and to be eventually wiped out by Bloodloch's invading forces.

Later on, Haven finds this young Luminary and kind of takes the chap under his wing. Teaching him how to fight like a Luminary and perhaps a few quips here and there about the Light side and what it meant to Haven. Daskalos pays a visit during one of these training exercises just outside of Enorian and... Well. You'll see.
--------------------------------------------

You shout, "Blessed is the Light and all those who reach for it."

<Omei puts a divine blessing on me. It'll last for 24 hours.>

You shout, "It is sweet, sweet lies that They feed you. Break free from the shackles that bind you, Leeches. Cast aside the life of enthrallment to the Earthen Lord and be unbound and free. The power He offers is limited and will ultimately destroy you all. Come and experience freedom. Face the truth. Redeem yourselves and turn to the Light!"

Ezalor tells you, "Strength in Undeath, brother-to-be."

Edain grins mischievously at you.

You tell Arch Duke Ezalor D'baen, the Bloodletter, "I will not be corrupted!"

You pour blessings of bliss over Edain, granting him visions of the majesty of the divine.

Quietly, you say, "Blessed is the Light and all who reach for it."

Kamus tells you, "I want to be saved! Can you come to Delos and save me?"

(Web): You say, "Target: Kamus."

You say, "Excuse me a moment."

Edain nods his head at you.

<Haven moves to the Hall of Flame and begin meditation.>

You tell Kamus Dark, "You wish to be saved. Truly?"

Kamus tells you, "Truly come speak the goodness of light to me in Delos."

Your angel senses Kamus at Before the bridge to Delos with a health of 5184 and a mana of 4244. (13739) (Prelatorian Highway.)
He has no companions.

(Daru): You say, "Any of you know Kamus to be a liar?"
(Daru): Nola says, "Yep."
(Daru): Nola says, "Among many other things."

You tell Kamus Dark, "Prove your worth. Come to the Tear."

An ancient orchard. (Pash valley.) [-Slyphe-]
The stars twinkle in the clear night sky. The gnarled trees of this orchard resemble the crippled, arthritic hands of a haggard old woman. Limp strips of skin-like bark lie beneath several of the trees, intermingled with fallen, decaying fruit. The scantily-clad branches of each tree are like slaves bearing heavy burdens; plump plums, tubby tangerines, and ample apples hang precariously close to the ground. To the west, a thorny hedge precludes a view of what lies beyond the orchard, while to the east a road can be glimpsed over a brief grassy rise. The shining figure of a guardian angel floats in the air here.
You see exits leading east, south, southwest, and northwest.

Allsight: Kamus enters An ancient orchard. (Pash valley.)

Kamus moves over to block the east exit.

Your muscles stiffen and lock as a ghast brushes you with a finger.

<Fight ensues. Kamus ultimately flees and in his panic wanders into Enorian and dies to guards.>

You shout, "The Dark is an illusion. She is the Temptress full of lies and corruption. A taste here and a touch there but always a tease. A promise of more to come. Know this filth to be what it is: Artifice. Lift the veil from your eyes! Embrace the warmth of the Fire. Let your spark fill you and propel you towards the limitless sky. Come and reach for the Sun! Be unbound and free! Capable of reaching true strength! We are more than ourselves, Sapience. Two will always be greater than one. Blessed is the Light and all those who reach for it."

Edain has requested that you share some of your knowledge of Devotion with him. 'OK' to commence the lesson.

You announce that the lesson will begin with some devotional prayers.

Edain kneels humbly and listens to your words of piety.

Edain's soul thus nourished, you give a satisfied nod and allow the lesson to commence.

You remind Edain that Devotion is both a duty and a gift - Luminary and Paladin alike must do their utmost to promote belief and worship throughout the land.

You frown darkly as you speak of the menace of the unholy necromancers, and the threat they pose to all that is sacred.

You assure Edain that with time, the fires of his devotion can only burn with greater intensity.

::[ Lilith ]::   <<> Daskalos enters from the west. <>>

You utter a short blessing over Edain - the lesson is at an end.

Edain acknowledges Daskalos with a nod of his head.

The brilliant aura surrounding you slowly fades to a mere glimmer before disappearing.

Solemnly, Ember Edain says to Daskalos Qefin, "Vanguard."

Daskalos nods his head at Edain.

Daskalos Qefin says, "How goes it, Edain?"

Nodding, Ember Edain says to Daskalos Qefin, "Well enough, Vanguard."

You grunt at Daskalos noncommittally.

Edain glances aside at you, his brow furrowing.

Daskalos glances at you with a neutral expression. "And you, Locke, still preaching your own perversion of Light?"

You say to Daskalos, "Perversion? Tch. I preach what is right and true, Daskalos."

"In your own mind, perhaps," Daskalos says with a shrug. "You had to be removed from the guild because you couldn't control yourself, and even now, you refuse to fight against the Enemy should a member of Duiran be present. No, you serve yourself, and it seems, you still do."

You say, "I will not stand beside those that would let corruption taint their hearts and minds, Daskalos."

You say, "You may feel free to use whatever tools you deem necessary but there are limits to what the Light allows."

"And yet, they fight against corruption each month as they battle the Aberrations, and you, Black Sun, are no voice of the Light," Daskalos says firmly. "The Light is my Lord's domain after Auresae chose to focus on Fire, and I am His Hand. You would do well not to speak on behalf of the Light when you are a poor representation of it."

You ask, "I am?"

You have emoted: Haven tosses his head back abruptly in laughter. "Daskalos the jester. I never knew you had the talent in you."

(Web): You say, "Target: Daskalos."

"Do I appear to be laughing, Locke?" Daskalos says in reply, shaking his head. "You do not see the big picture, the grand scheme, you only see what your narrow mind allows. You would cut off your own nose to spite your face."

You have emoted: "I would cut out my heart and die pure if I found it to be wanton to corruption, Daskalos. I cannot say the same for you and your ilk." Haven utters, his tone sharp and fierce as his lips curl to reveal fangs. The Azudim's expression grows dark and clouded, a visage of a predator.

"We removed corruption just fine when we decided you weren't fit to be amongst our ranks, Locke," Daskalos says in reply, his stance loose. "Did you not come to the Beacon still serving Severn? Did you not cause race riots in the city? Did you not seek to drive a wedge between Enorian and Duiran? You are an agent of corruption, sent to divide us from our allies so that the enemy can move in, all under the guise of -our- banner. So which is it? Spy... or hypocrite?"

You have emoted: Haven's lips split wider, the threatening scowl transforming into an amused smirk. His throat rumbles as a heavy chuckle pours from his lips. The words to follow come easy, "You seek to provoke me, Daskalos. But you see, it is you that is blind to the truth. You would sooner sacrifice your ideals for the easy road. The fact of the matter is, 'Vanguard', that you are no Bastion of Light. You are a fool who prances around preaching the Light but stray far from actually living it."

You say, "Your very son practices necromancy and sought to aide Duiran against his former comrades. I warned them. I threatened them and still they pressed on, Daskalos. What did you do? You guarded them. You chided me for standing up for what was right. I can only imagine what truly lurks in your heart when you let your love for your son blind you from the truth."

"Then why do the gods themselves bless my actions while condemning yours, Haven?" Daskalos replies, a smirk of his own playing over his features. "The Underking names me His Hand. The Lord of Truth supports Enorian, as does the Dreamer. My son? To whom do you speak?"

You say, "Ah, my mistake. He is your greatgrandson, not a child you've raised yourself. But my point remains all the same."

You say, "You say the gods condemn me?"

You are:
Favored by Omei for about 19 hours.

You say, "Not long ago I wore the blessing of the Maelstrom and even now the Lady Dreamer has Her touch upon me."

You say, "Not some general blanket cast upon organization and congregation of men. No. She touched me specifically in approval."

Edain gives a quiet, exasperated sigh.

You tell Roux Aquila, "I swear it to you too."

You tell Roux Aquila, "I will kill Daskalos one day."

"And?" Daskalos says, clearly unimpressed. "Blessings are easily gained, by offering a few corpses, to any of the gods. I could gain the blessings of Ivoln, Maghak, and Severn if I wished by throwing a few corpses Their way, that does not mean they support my actions. You seek to tear down Enorian because Enorian rejected you, just as the Luminaries did, just as they all did. You had great potential, Locke, a chance to be amongst the greatest champions of Light, and you pissed it away in your hate driven attacks on the Wilds, while the Undead grew stronger. You weaken the Rhythm and Life with your actions, while allowing the enemy to grow stronger."

You tell Roux Aquila, "It may not be today. It may not be tomorrow but I will do it."

Roux tells you, "What has happened now?"

A frown wrinkles your brow as you glance dubiously at Daskalos and articulate a "Hrm...."

::[ Lilith ]::   <<> Vrazel enters from the west. <>>

Daskalos Qefin says to you, "You, sir, are a hypocrite, a mercenary, willing to fight for whoever wishes it, should they but stroke your ego. I have strayed true to Enorian and the cause of Light my entire life. You have fought as a Necromancer, as a soldier of Undeath, and then you came to Enorian and tried to use -this- city as a means to CONTINUE your attacks upon the wilds, formed in hatred as a Necromancer, only you did it under the guise of religious fervor. No, Locke, you are no soldier of Light, but a misguided prophet of his own destiny, a fool everyone looks at with pity, caught up in his own egotism."

Edain creases his brow in a frown.

Edain fidgets visibly, and a spiritual mace gives a quiet hiss, as of water drops falling into an open flame, as he taps it against a kite shield.

Zealot Vrazel says, "Haven again."

You have emoted: Haven looks to the ground for a moment. It is not shame that weighs down upon him. With his fingers curling into his palms to form tightly bound fists, the Azudim struggles to maintain a level composure. Tight in tone, the former Knight utters, "Daskalos. If it is a fight that you desire, you need only say so. I need little reason to want to kill you but if you think that you can shake my conviction. Deter me from me path. Then you are a larger fool than I already know you are. Leave me now or prepare yourself."

Matter-of-factly, Ember Edain says, "Well, unicorn."

Zealot Vrazel says to you, "You need to stay your mouth."

Zealot Vrazel says, "If you threaten Daskalos you have to deal with me as well."

"Why would I want a fight, Locke? You've tried that route on me, what is it, thrice now? And each time, you've gone to visit my Lord in the Underhalls," Daskalos says with a flicker of amusement across his expression. "Is that how this works, Locke? When confronted with the Truth of your actions, you resort to violence? Deter you from your path? A path to self-destruction and eventual hatred by all sides? If you wish to walk this realm alone, without allies, then you are well on your way."

You angrily say, "You've been warned."

Exploding, Ember Edain says, "Both of you! This is crazy!"

You stretch out your hands to Daskalos, and all light-tolerance bleeds from his body.

Daskalos utters a deep, rumbling laugh.

<Fight ensues. Then out of no where! Mid-fight!>

<<> Damariel ENTERS FROM THE northeast! <>>

His movements faster than any eye can see, Damariel shoots out an arm towards Daskalos, His hand about his throat in an instant. He lifts him easily into the air, just high enough to allow his legs to freely dangle an inch or two above the ground. The God removes His hand from his throat, though Daskalos remains aloft, suspended in elevation, unable to do little more than speak.

His movements faster than any eye can see, Damariel shoots out an arm, His hand about your throat in an instant. He lifts you easily into the air, just high enough to allow your legs to freely dangle an inch or two above the ground. He removes His hand from your neck to allow air to once again fill your throat, though you remain aloft, suspended in elevation, unable to do little more than speak.

The indomitable will of the Divine prohibits all your actions.

Damariel, the Unbound exclaims, "THAT. IS. ENOUGH!"

Damariel thrusts His leg out towards Daskalos with considerable force.
Daskalos backs away and eases off.
Daskalos is hurled to the southeast by the strength of the blow.

You see Damariel yell, "WILL WE NOW FIGHT AMONGST OURSELVES INSTEAD OF BATTLING THE TRUE ENEMY?!"

Damariel waves towards you, almost as an afterthought, and a sudden and overwhelming sense of relief floods your mind as your faculties are restored. You drop abruptly to the ground, somehow landing on your feet as your balance and sense of self are returned.

<<> Daskalos ENTERS FROM THE southeast! <>>

Daskalos snarls viciously.

Sternly, Damariel, the Unbound says, "Both of you. Settle. NOW."

Daskalos Qefin says, "I was simply defending myself against this false warrior of Light."

You exclaim, "You sack of wine!"

Stuttering, Ember Edain says to Damariel, the Unbound, "L-Lord."

You have emoted: Haven's lips twist and contort into a rigid line of hate as he stares on at Daskalos but he remains rooted where he is clutching to his mace. Whether by choice or by divine will remains to be seen.

Anger still roiling around Him, Damariel exchanges His gaze between Daskalos and you, muscular arms folded across His chest.

Edain's blue eyes flick between Damariel, you, and Daskalos, his brow furrowed.

Quietly, Damariel, the Unbound says, "My name has been called upon here in justification. For purpose of equivocation. For purpose of lending credence and support to arguments tainted by anger and self-righteousness."

"This man seeks to destroy the Wilds, to burn them as 'agents of Corruption' as he puts it, while ignoring the Vampires and Necromancers. He refuses to see that He weakens us ALL with his actions!" Daskalos says in contempt.

You say, "Ignore?"

You exclaim, "IGNORE!"

You ask, "Who have I been fighting these past few months?"

You see Edain yell, "Shut UP!"

Lifting his shining mace in a fist, Ember Edain says to you, "Have some unicorn respect, Locke!"

You have emoted: Strangely enough, Haven is silenced by the youngling, Edain.

Daskalos Qefin says, "You -left- us to die at the hands of the Vampires because you wouldn't fight with anyone from Duiran."

Daskalos Qefin says, "You weaken us all with your pride."

Damariel holds up a hand, fingers spread, His lips drawn together.

You say, "Pride? Resilience. I will not stand beside the corrupt. I will fight pure or not at all."

Somewhat confused, Daskalos creases his brow uncertainly.

Daskalos Qefin says, "You call me corrupt, and yet you would fight beside me until Duiran showed up. And then you left. You speak in circles, Locke."

Edain's chest heaves with his breath, and his lanky arms fall to either side. After a moment, a look of utter surprise flashes across his face. "Oh, unicorn..." he utters softly.

You angrily say, "I name you corrupt now, Daskalos, where you were just simply misguided and blind before."

Daskalos utters a deep, rumbling laugh.

Softly, Damariel, the Unbound says to Daskalos Qefin, "Peace, Vanguard. You speak to a man who has fled Darkness and is wary of falling once more into it. I know his heart, just as I know Mine. I know the fear in him."

Daskalos Qefin says, "I am corrupt? I should send you to visit my Lord here and now."

You have emoted: "My judgement is not upon you here and now because the High Lord wills it. Count yourself fortunate." Haven barks.

Damariel, the Unbound says to you, "Act not in haste, nor with violence. This man believes differently from you, but your goals are aligned. Do not tear yourself from him without due consideration. Do not let your rage rule you, son."

Zealot Vrazel says to you, "You are very arrogant."

Daskalos Qefin says to Damariel, the Unbound, "He used our abilties, our flames, to burn the forests, to punish them all, because they did not do as he ordered. And when he was punished for it, he named us corrupt as well. This is a man who will not take responsibility for his own actions, and who thinks might makes right. He calls the entirety of Enorian false, and claims that His path is the only true way. He would see us die alone as martyrs before he would look at Duiran as they are - different, yet allies of Life - and fight with us so that we might prevail."

You have emoted: Haven's chest rises and falls in rapid succession as he remains fixated upon Daskalos...but it isn't until Damariel speaks in that quiet tone of His that the Azudim seems to be pried from his trance of righteous fervor. A slow blink. And then another. Though the Azudim remains riled, a fury of emotion searing through his core, his demeanor does seem to gradually grow at ease. With a grimace, Haven manages a grunt and a grunt alone in response as he remains silent.

Edain tells you, "He's right, you know."

After hearing Daskalos, Damariel nods softly and turns back to you, taking in your reaction with a purse of His lips. "What is your account?" He asks, simply.

Edain tells you, "The Lord, that is."

You have emoted: "I admit... I did not come to Enorian with the best of intentions. My heart was pure. Filled to the brim with a need for vengeance and hate but something unexpected happened, Lord." Haven answers while keeping his sights off of Damariel. To the keen eye, one might notice the subtle flicker of shame to tug at the corners of his lips. That ghost of a frown threatening to surface as he struggles to maintain a neutral expression despite the roaring fire in his chest. "I learned what it truly meant to be that of the Light. It is with patience and action from those that once served You that I was able to lift the veil from my eyes on where true strength lie. Without Aren or Roux I would not be the man you see here today."

"And being a servant of the Light means alienating all of our allies so that we must face Bloodloch and Spinesreach alone?" Daskalos inquires.

You say to Damariel, "Daskalos speaks true. I did abandon him to die at the hands of the Consanguine. Not out of spite for our differences. Not out of hate though I do hate those of the Duiran Council. But because it was the right thing to do. I cannot abide by those that would willingly let their Council frollic with those of Spinesreach. I will not abide by those that would allow Necromancers to aide them against the enemy, willingly or no."

Vrazel scowls miserably.

Daskalos Qefin exclaims, "You speak of one incident, nearly 50 years ago, which was condemned by the Duiranite Council when they learned of it. And what was your reaction? You burned down -4- forests for it!"

Damariel considers these words for a time, His glowing eyes flickering between you and Daskalos. He drops His head, reaching out to stroke His beard, a low, rumbling 'hm' sounding from the depths of His throat.

You say, "I burned down the forests BEFORE they doubled back at Enorian's outrage."

You say, "I stood by their Feral Will and watched him."

You say, "They scoffed and ignored me."

You say, "Just because they want to look good in front of you Daskalos does not change what I saw in their hearts."

Daskalos Qefin says, "It is NOT your place to JUDGE how they go about their methods of conversion. It is NOT your place to judge them!"

Vrazel frowns at Haven a look of disgust emerging across her face.

You exclaim, "You, yourself, named me judge Daskalos!"

You angrily say, "There was a time you stood by me and named me comrade."

You say, "Do not pretend now that I've lost all sense when you once shared my vision."

Daskalos Qefin says, "Against the Undead. The protection you got from me was me maintaining that the guild should punish you, not the city. You speak of Aren as being the man who changed you - was it not Aren who -cast- you from the Luminaries because you couldn't control yourself?"

You exclaim, "He cast me out at your insistence!"

"Bah!" you retort disgustedly.

"It is no one's place to judge anyone," Damariel states, flatly, slicing His hand through the air.

Zealot Vrazel says, "Actions are to be judged."

Damariel, the Unbound asks, "It is better that life is protected and safeguarded, flawed as it is, than allowed to perish because they have been judged too corrupt, gone too far astray. Or else would you condemn men that could follow the same path as you have, Locke? Any of them might well be you. Any of them, in their hearts, might have the capacity for redemption. Would you spit in the face of that possibility? Would you leave them to a more loving Darkness?"

Damariel, the Unbound says to Zealot Vrazel, "Judgment of that absolute kind is NOT within your purview, child. Or Mine. There is only One who has that authority, and He does not stand here with us."

Edain tells you, "I told you He's right."

"You are all of a common purpose and a common kind," Damariel asserts, now addressing everyone more generally. "You are to maintain the Light as an example. You are strong because others are weak. You exist to help others find strength. That is your purpose, first and foremost, and if you lack the conviction to help those with whom you disagree - whether they are too debased, in your eyes, or too extreme - then you do not understand the Light."

With a gesture of His hand, Damariel, the Unbound says to Daskalos Qefin, "Look into yourself, Vanguard."

Damariel, the Unbound says to you, "And you, to yourself."

You clench your jaw tightly, pressing your lips into a line with a grim look on your face.

"I stood there, ready to fight beside him before he abandoned us," Daskalos says with a shrug. "I have no issue fighting alongside Locke, but if he thinks for one moment that I, or Enorian, is going to attack Duiran because of his personal vendetta... it shall not happen. I do not always have love for Duiran, but I recognize their place in our struggle. I have bigger issues to deal with - the Undead and the Necromancers - to worry about what DUIRAN is doing when they generally seek to help us in our endeavors."

Quiet, a tone hardly above a whisper, you say, "I will look inward, Lord. I will try. That is all I can truly promise You."

Vrazel's mouth turns up as her face breaks into a smile.

Sternly, Damariel, the Unbound says to Daskalos Qefin, "Locke is right in that the Duiranites are not perfect. They are debased. They insist that murderers, corrupted ones, purveyors of lies... That these should be excused without change. All these are problems. They harbor sympathizers amidst their ranks. I do not agree. Cannot agree. Never have and never shall."

"This is still no reason to leave them to be murdered," Damariel concludes, flatly.

Daskalos Qefin says to Damariel, the Unbound, "I have long said  that they are a tool to be used to aide our cause, and when the Undead and Necromancers are gone, THEN we deal with them. Not first, which is where Locke and I disagree."

"No," Damariel remarks, gently. "Not first. They are closer to Light than the cities in the west and north, even if only just. They might, with encouragement, grow closer."

Zealot Vrazel says to you, "I am proof of the redemption the light brings."

Damariel's hands drop to His sides. He takes a few moments of silence to examine all those standing around the road - first Edain. Then you. Then Daskalos. Finally, Vrazel.

Indifferently, Damariel, the Unbound says, "Keep it civil, children."

<<> Damariel LEAVES TO THE west! <>>

Zealot Vrazel says, "I must away now, I hope there will be peace."

You grunt noncommittally.

Daskalos Qefin says, "Well then. I have things to do."

<<> Daskalos LEAVES TO THE southeast! <>>

The End.
¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
havenbanner2
DaskalosArenPiperEmelleEzalorMireiaRiluoOmeiMoireanCiarelleSessizlikAngweJensenDamarielBakhtuh

Comments

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    That was fun. I wasn't even deffed! Kind of stumbled upon you two.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Haha, yeah. I had fun. I totally didn't except Superman to come barreling in with judochopping action.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

Me either. I was like WTF NOOO

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    That was a splendid read :)

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Absolutely fantastic read. Love it!

• AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    edited January 2014

So awesome....
  • Read this while waiting on @Toz to show up for lunch. Amazing. Might be developing a little crush on @Damariel
    NeithanHaven
  • Hi, new at the forum milarky.....That was fun rp you guys were creating! 
    Haven
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Bravo. Bravo I say. Stirring stuff!
    Haven