Did You Know?

Comments

• Did you know that years ago I crashed aetolia about half a dozen times in a row?

I logged on, did my def up script, and it crashed.  When it came back up I logged back on, and deffed again.  I did it two or three more times before I suspected that something -I- was doing might actually be the cause.  I logged on and sent a message to Belakai.  He sent a tell back to me asking me to run my script.  I did and aetolia crashed again.  It turned out something I was doing was actually the problem, and I'd basically taken then game out five or six times.
    OmeiKatsziaInfinZsadist
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Did you know that years ago I crashed aetolia about half a dozen times in a row?

I logged on, did my def up script, and it crashed.  When it came back up I logged back on, and deffed again.  I did it two or three more times before I suspected that something -I- was doing might actually be the cause.  I logged on and sent a message to Belakai.  He sent a tell back to me asking me to run my script.  I did and aetolia crashed again.  It turned out something I was doing was actually the problem, and I'd basically taken then game out five or six times.
    Did you know: You might be the only person who can beat the Immortal crash record.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Omei
  • Oleis said:
    Did you know that years ago I crashed aetolia about half a dozen times in a row?

Did you know: You might be the only person who can beat the Immortal crash record.
    Can you put that in my honours?

Seriously, I would love having "Beat the Immortal crash record" in my honours.
    Chai
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Ahem.
    PiperOmeiPerilunaHavenOleisSetneArbre
  • You'd be the Queen of Untrapped Errors.
    TeaniAryanneOleis
  • I thought that was Moirean?
  • @Omei awesome thread, and thanks to all divinish revelations, the stats are mind blowing.

@Macavity did you know that on mudbot room #1 is NoT, as it should be. :P
  • Teani said:
    *newspaper*

Did you know that sometimes the room description will speak of something and the item actually exists in the room, but is invisible (won't show up on IH).
    I only ever discovered that it in Rahveir the ghost colony when I went looking for the paladin's tools. But where else?
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    SECRET!

(check out places in the Tundra)
    Teani
  • Neoma said:
    did you know that on mudbot room #1 is NoT, as it should be. :P
    @Neoma - It depends on what map you have. 
    Aryanne
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    @neoma and @Periluna My number 1 room is where it matters, the vnum!  =)
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • edited January 2014
    Did You Know...
    • Omei's Log, day #53. My Order still doesn't suspect that I named my priest after a rap song.

(language warning)

i am rapture coder
    NoonEmelle
  • Omei said:
    Did You Know...
    • Omei's Log, day #53. My Order still doesn't suspect that I named my priest after a rap song.

(language warning)

Pretty much was mainlining that the entire time this morning.
    PiperOmeiEmelle
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    Yep, I can never get it out of my head now and it makes it REALLY hard to take my emoting seriously sometimes.

i love it
  • @Daskalos: There are times, when I see a changelog, that I go 'how in the hell does that happen'. This is one of those times.

Thank you, Daskalos, for unwittingly submitting a question to DYK!

System-builders, have you ever had an issue with some of your code that turned out to be a miscapitalized word, an errant comma, or some other tiny character tweak that inexplicably held back the entire script like a lone Chinese man before a marching line of tanks? (to be fair, the tanks were being huge jerks)

So here was the problem: The Great Crescent in the Daru guildhall was randomly suppressing emotes, and instead making people kneel. Kinky. I'd looked at this problem a week earlier and couldn't figure out a solution, as the code looked nigh-perfect. Having heard no further incidents, I left the problem alone, hoping maybe it resolved itself. In a post-Galleus environment, these things happen.

So it came up again. And again. And again.

This was the culprit. Look at it for a while and see if you can find the issue without scrolling down for the solution.
       elseif $-($word($text, 1)) eq "kneel" and ISDARU or CLASS
          set suppress_emote yes
          PAUSE
          rmote ~$who $who kneels before the Crescent, ready to face induction.
          pmote $who You kneel before the Crescent, resolved to complete induction.
          set _inductee_ $who
       endif
    Is it suppress_emote? Nope. That's just how we hook special actions into emotes without triggering the emote message itself, although it is the reason the emotes are disappearing. This should be working, though, only triggered by a kneel.

What's the weird PAUSE thing? These all-caps commands are macros. It's just a compressed bit of code.

How about the... wait. All-caps commands. Maybe you just saw it. Some distant nightmare of nested if trees and convoluted logic is coming back to haunt you.

elseif $-($word($text, 1)) eq "kneel" and ISDARU or CLASS

and ISDARU or CLASS

They... they forgot the parentheses. It's checking to see if you kneeled and you're in the guild, but also matches if you have the Zealot class and emoted at all. Son of a--

i am rapture coder
    SlypheMireiaZsadist
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    I'm more amused, that in my sleep deprived state of just waking up when I sent that message, that I -swore- Oleis did that changelog and not you. Eyes, why do you fail me in the morning?

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Omeisbian doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
    AryanneOmei
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I once referred to a follower of Lleis as a Llesbian Icly and they got really mad. That's kinda where the Oleisbian thing came from.
    Katszia
  • I pronounce it in my head, as "Oh! Leis..."

MoireanKatszia
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    I think the technical term is Omeitian.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

• edited February 2014
    Since Abhorash is the talk of the town right now, I wanted to clear up some common misconceptions about him.
    • Abhorash was never a regular player character. He was a tool of the admin of the time, designed to get the ball rolling, roleplay-wise, with Aetolia's vampiric culture. We did not "hijack" or "steal" the role.
    • The fact that he's just a regular character is a byproduct of how things were done back then. He ran a city, he had clans, even family to an extent, and generally schmoozed with the playerbase as would a normal player. These days, if we made an Abhorash-type figure, we would use what we call a shell, (terminology varies) like Yorvhaset, the Grecht who visited the four city-states. All of the mechanical function of a player character, but with no real honors file and a lot of restrictions against player skills that clearly set him apart as someone else. His name, and the manner in which he was played are both regretful, but it's just the way things are.
    • In terms of sheer power, Abhorash is something approaching a demigod (not a Celani, those aren't really IC roles). He could probably slug it with a God and last at least a few minutes, even if he would have no hope of winning the fight.

i am rapture coder
    Katszia
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    What qualifications did Abhorash use to pick out his childer then?
  • You'd have to ask the original admin who played Abhorash.

The original players are legit, though, not really administrative plants or anything. Even if it's common knowledge that one of them eventually acquired a ah, somewhat prestigious role.

i am rapture coder
  • Arbre said:
    What qualifications did Abhorash use to pick out his childer then?
    "How cute will our baby be"
    OleisOmeiEzalorAarbrokEmelleAreka
    Is there a room somewhere that has all the 'deceased' mobs in it? Like a graveyard? I've always been curious about that.

"If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Not sure if you're asking from a mechanical standpoint, but the mob you kill actually becomes the corpse, functionally speaking.

If you mean dead in-role 'charac'ter' mobiles, I don't think so. Usually old event mobs end up scurrying underfoot in the Pools room where we hang out. Along with some really disturbing other stuff.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.

I meant the second, in role character mobs. Just curious if there's random mobs sitting somewhere. I know there used to be void, storage, et cetera, but yea. Was just a 'what's the craziest thing you see?' type deal.

• edited February 2014
    If a God is running their own event, it's not uncommon for them to dump all relevant mobs and items into a personal room. I think I've got a ton of orcs, ogres, an angry crowd of Enorians, and a dead Rajamalan boy in my own storage room. We don't usually get rid of them, since sometimes we need to see what they looked like or any associated info about them.

i am rapture coder
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Honours Fakeniuri
  • ...I think we all just basically want to know if the Kerrithrim is still hanging out up there somewhere. >.>

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

AryanneKerrynPerilunaErzsebet