Names

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I always pronounced it like...roux...

• It's actually 'Rouge' like the makeup, though I have also accepted 'Roo' with the x being silent (since that's apparently how it's really pronounced).
    In addition to being a necessary component of soups, Roux is 'red' in french. @arbre and I picked from the same language, she went with earth, I did fire.
    Aryanne
  • Definitely have always pronounced @Roux as 'roo'

@Irruel was - 'irr-oo-el'

But the question is, how do you guys pronounce @Moirean?

AryanneKatszia
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    edited January 2014

Moi-ree-anne. I start it as if I was starting to say 'moist'

EmelleTeani
  • @roux I'm not really sure why,  but I pronounce it roo-sch (I am not sure how to make it look phonetically accurate in english....)

I think @arbre is to blame for it, but I'm not 100% sure.
    That said, I'm still gonna blame her.

Arbre
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    Moy-ree-an

or

Moi-ree-in 

Arbre
  • I think I'm the loner here saying 'moy-reen'

FerrikHavenMinaraelRivas
  • I pronounce it Moy-re-ann

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    moy REE in
    rouge, but maybe because we started playing together
    XAY vin, not XAH vin
    DUR ann. Which is totes wrong but no unicorns given

@moirean @roux @xavin
    Emelle
  • edited January 2014
    in my head, it's: Mwah-ree-ahn (this first syllable like french "me")
    but anytime I try to say it aloud, it comes out as: "Mwah...M-oi...Ra...ee... Oh howeverthehellyousayit!"

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Mwah, like a kiss.  Comere, Moi, gimme some smooches.
    EmelleSetne
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Truh-buhl
    ArbreKatszia
  • Slyphe said:
    I think I'm the loner here saying 'moy-reen'

That is how I've always pronounced it too.
    SlyphePeriluna
  • I just call her Moy-moy and save the trouble.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

ArbreOmeiKatszia
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    edited February 2014
    David Draiman - Lead singer of Disturbed

Jonathin (Jonathan) Davis - Lead singer of Korn

Dani Filth - Lead singer of Cradle of Filth.

Totally not original. Was also like 14, lemme alone.

Edit: We need a better bold.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

SlypheAryanne
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    edited February 2014
    Orisae was originally a throwoff character as I was trying the game. The name was originally from a story that I was writing and was the name of a planet in the star system with the inhabitants called Oriseans.

Orisae, the original world, was totally influenced by Princess Oriana from the Felix the Cat movie. That unicorn was my favorite movie when I was growing up, man. When Orisae became a legit character, I went with the whole long, long hair and long dress schtick same as with Oriana.

Daingean
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    Like entirely for Felix the cat @ the above.

Fuck yeah, Felix.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    Piper
  • Arbre said:
    Where did your name come from?  Some people have real unique ones, have me curious.  Do tell!
    I made up my own.  I don't know why more people don't.
  • Omei is actually pronounced "oh myyy", and you have to say it exactly like George Takei.

i am rapture coder
    MoireanEmelleXavinMinaraelJaslineRivas
  • Oh-me 4eva

Ingram. Ing-grum. I know you were all wondering. 

I can't remember where I got it. Only place I've heard the name is Max Payne, those uzis you get. 

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    How do people pronounce my name?
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    edited February 2014
    Iosyne said:
    It would inevitably be transformed into "unicorns," given the forum's filter.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • Most of my characters have made up names. I made a baby vamp that doesn't exist anymore whose name was based on a romani fable about a girl who was an amazing dancer and was being courted by many men. Her father was important, like a king of sorts, and wanted her to marry a man that would strengthen his position, but she fell in love with a poor man and ran away with him. There was a bunch more to the story, but I dug the fiery dancer girl who made her own path, so I took her name. 

Sometimes, if I have a very specific character concept in mind, I'll find a name that matches what I'm going for. Mostly I just make crap up.
    imageimage
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Haven said:
    How do people pronounce my name?
    When they came out with havens, I actually started pronouncing yours like haven't, dropping the t, of course, to keep the two separate.

Sarita doesn't have a very interesting story. I started out with a random name generator name while she was a nightstalker so that no one could claim to have seen her bashing, dying, and all the stuff I didn't want in her backstory. I did want her to have a widely hated sire, and it was just luck that Zoharim showed up before Lucimal. Afterwards, I namechanged to Sarita because it seemed to translate into "Little princess" if you take Sarah (princess in Hebrew) and add the Spanish ita ending. I found out later that it's actually a real thing in Sanskrit one day at work when I came across someone with the name. I've since found it in other places like a Latin American restaurant near the vet where I take my cats.
  • @haven
    Notsoscaryoldman seems to be the best so far! But for the other 99%of the time is "hey-ven"
    Kerryn
  • I've done a lot of the same things others have. Usually I like to pick whatever letter I'm going to start with and sort of go from there. That often results in several lines on a piece of paper full of names, some the same but a variant with the spelling.

With Katszia I was thinking about other characters I've played in other games (not IRE) and I thought of one I had - Katerina. I didn't want to use the exact same name so I did what I mentioned above, and started going for other variations to make a similar but different name.

I like the sound of hard consonants, and the hiss of the 'sz'. So it just kind of fell together. (It's pronounced cot/caught-zee-uh). Makes it funny when I'm talking to someone and say "Kat" because it often still comes out as "Cot", which just sounds odd and is why I don't typically shorten it.
  • Valisa (my first character) was a mixture of letters around my real name. And Haydyn was based on Hayden Panettiere, but I wanted more Y's. So very creative, I know. 

Lykos (my pet wolf) is just the Greek word for wolf. 

@Kaleigh was made from a friend of mine's niece, spelling and all. @Tomasz was because Tomas wasn't available and I thought those two names sounded okay together for my twins.
    imageimage
    Kaleigh
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    I made Lin shortly after reading China Mieville's Perdido Street Station, in which the main character has a girlfriend named Lin. In the book, she's of an insectoid race called a khepri, which is the very coincidence that led me to try Aetolia again.

The main character? Isaac dan der Grimnebulin. WE WEREN'T ALWAYS ORIGINAL OKAY
    Carivah