Daskalos

DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore ExtraordinareRolling amongst piles of credits.
Eh, it's been a while.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
"If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Comments

• A solid presence in Enorian that I always enjoy having around, even though we don't interact that much. Konnorn has always been impressed with the way Dask handles politics and sees him as a rolemodel in many ways.

• edited December 2012

No. -- Iosyne

DaskalosAldricKiyotanOrisaeNola
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

Wow.

"If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Pretty sure this thread is about the character, not the player, Yuuki. And not at all about personal attacks. 

(Although it's probably all true :>)
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    DaskalosYuukiOrisae
  • edited December 2012
    Harsh.

I like Daskalos. His approach to things is far more outspokenly passionate than I tend to be, personally. He's also way more willing to deal with the consequences to things after the fact. Do something first and apologize (MAYBE) later on and that's pretty nifty, honestly.

When Ori switched sides, Daskalos was a big voice in the background that actually really called for a person's attention. Not going to say that you're always right or wrong or whatever but he definitely has that confidence and force of personality to make a person notice, if not follow. That's a really awesome quality.

(Except when he's buying up the iron coins that I need for customizing all my silly little things. Roar.)
    Daskalos
  • Personally I am wholly surprised that Dask actually roleplays to the degree he does now. He's made the character be just that, a -character-. We all get passionate about things OOC, Dask might sometimes leak it over, but he's made a huge effort since he's come back to actually play the character as Daskalos, not as Daskalos Player.

He's also surprisingly good at it, especially when he leaps to try to heal a swooning female over a bleeding to death Saybre. Then proceeds to burn Saybre's face to 'heal' him. I would like to see him be a little more open, especially since trying to find him to roleplay with is only possible by trying to figure out if he's with Aren or Roux, and even then it's just a guess. (Stupid Hood!)
  • As infuriating as Daskalos can be at times, he's a character that does the things he does because he honestly believes it's what is best for his organizations. I feel like many characters are much quicker to compromise on what they believe in and it is nice to see a character that sticks by his beliefs.

While Xavin's interactions with Daskalos have been very frustrating lately, they've not been particularly unenjoyable.

Hey! Those wounds needed cauterization to stop the bleeding!

• Daskalos intrigues Rho, which is sort of a compliment in itself for the way in which Rho sees most people. I was genuinely surprised to find that Daskalos not only -initiated- random RP, but he also gave opportunity for it to continue in the future. Definitely looking forward to what, if anything, happens between Rho and Dask.
    Daskalos
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    Daskalos has always been a larger than life figure, for me. A lot of my exposure to him has been via logs - let's face it, mostly pk logs - on the forums and moments IC where he shows up, states his piece, and dashes off to turn someone else into a pancake.

That said, when he -does- take time to interact on a personal level, he gives off the vibe that he honestly wants to be doing that. I have a feeling that Dain and Daskalos are similar enough people, except that Dain is a bookish Zealot that approaches everything from the standpoint of 'is the effort equal to the result', and Daskalos is the one who'll light the enemy city on fire because tuesday night is boring.

He's been very supportive of Daingean, since his return to Enorian, both politically and personally - it's a pretty big change from our first interaction, which was literally Daskalos threatening Daingean with bodily harm. There have been a lot of times, oocly, where I've looked at your responses to things icly and said 'This man runs on ego and redbull.' - it's true, Daskalos has been around a long time, and he has earned a powerful reputation. I still grind my teeth a bit to read a post or comment that ends with 'So agree with me or contest me.'

That said, obviously, Dain is.. sort of the same. He does his thing, and he doesn't want or need validation in his choices. He'll do his best for the organizations and causes he serves, and if the people in those organizations don't like it, they'll replace him, and he'll keep doing what he does, somewhere else.

I really would like to have more interactions with Daskalos, but I'm not really sure if they'd be anything but one of us making a statement, the other either agreeing or disagreeing, and refusing to budge either way.

I'm glad that someone like Daskalos does exist. I'm -also- glad that there's only one of you in my general vicinity.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.

@Orisae - I haven't interacted with you much. We should fix that.

@Saybre - It's always fun man, and we should interact more, it's just hard becuse I've gotten so bored with the PK aspect of the game that I have a hard time getting all 'rah rah military' right now. At the same time, Dask has always been played a lot like I play him now, it's just that because I PK'd so much a lot of people just... didn't seem to want to RP.

@Xavin- IC'ly Xavin infuriates Dask. It can be repaired in time, but there are a lot of philosophical differences between our two characters and so we're bound to clash.

@Rho - Yes! That was fun and we should follow up on that sometime.

@Daingean - I don't even remember that fight! Dask is pretty set in his ways politically in terms of what he thinks is right and wrong for Enorian, and his biggest thing is he doesn't think Enorian needs an overhaul, it needs to get back to doing what it did when they were at their best. That being said, they're not always going to agree, but Dask sees a lot of himself in Daingean - the hard brick wall that doesn't ever waiver. Since growing older, Dask has mellowed a lot.

Orisae
  • As crazy as it is, I like Daskalos. He was a great arch enemy back in the day. He gave dex a chance when dexy went soft, and now that dexy went back home dasks hatred of dex returned as it was. I do lean towards yuuki's comment of separating ic and ooc being a downside of the player, as it has happened several times where dask was told something ooc and ic action was taken. Ah well, to each their own. I haven't really interacted with dask much since my return other than smack shouts and getting wtfpwned because of them while on the ipad. But given history, and past circumstances i am sure that will change sooner than later
    Yuuki
    edited December 2012
    Can you point to -any- situations where I took OOC to IC? Any? I'm just trying to figure it out, because I'm usually really careful about that. I know a lot more OOC than I go on about IC.

• edited December 2012
    Daskalos continues to surprise Elwyn and me! I wasn't even sure he knew what the 'emote' command was for! :P I kid, of course. I like their friendship and that Dask seems to truly care about Elwyn. He's always down for whatever Elwyn ends up showing up to do, be it calling everyone idiots or pelting him with snowballs.

I too wish he weren't so hard to find or when I do, he is always with Roux/Aren. Darn hood! Hope we get some one on one RP in soon. (We'll also get you to target your emotes even when you think you are alone cause lets face it, Elwyn likes to spy).
    imageimage
    SaybreDaskalos
  • Elwyn said:
    (We'll also get you to target your emotes even when you think you are alone cause lets face it, Elwyn everyone, that has ever had Syssin, likes to spy).
    Ftfy :D
    SaybreOrisaeErzsebet
  • That was weird...type up a short something or another and click post and it disappears...here we go again!

I know many Bloodlochians despise both Dask and his player, but I for one have never had any issues with either - even though we're on separate sides of the fence. I haven't interacted with him in years and that's something that I hope to change as Az comes out of his reclusive shell that he's been in since returning. Looking forward to it for sure!
  • Daskalos is one of the few people Nola puts any trust in these days, and considers a good, reliable friend, because he is a person you can expect to never pull a complete 180 on you. He has been the same person, if with varying degrees of fire and ice, for as long as Nola has known him. 

Over the many years, they've fought together, with each other, worked together, depended on one another at times, and I would like to say learned from one another a time or two. I always felt a lot of people misinterpret Daskalos's actions by never thinking about his intention, the driving reasons behind them. He never really does anything without a good reason, not that can be recalled. 

In the early stages of Nola's life, he was a mentor, someone you'd look up to, try to aspire to be, learn from. Sometimes, she didn't really understand why he did this, or why he did that, and she fought with him about it. Never did she really know the answers until she was placed in the same position with big shoes left to fill. It was impossible with such small, dainty feet, needless to say, but because of her respect for the man she admired, people like Daskalos she wanted to make proud, she tried her best. 

Daskalos has a very commanding presence, he is a source of both aggravation for enemies and inspiration for allies. There is a lot I could say about the character. Most of it is positive!

• edited December 2012
    Kiyotan said:
    Pretty sure this thread is about the character, not the player, Yuuki. And not at all about personal attacks. 

(Although it's probably all true :>)
    Yes, and I was referring mostly to Daskalos as a layer, that's true. ICly he's really made himself look like an idiot recently. He's commanding, yes, and he has occasions where he gets things done, but then he resorts to petty things like dropping 3452985783475837979 flags in Spinesreach against the Syssin. And then we all have lulz about how any attention is good attention.

Also, ICly he pretty much kills people for looking at him wrong, which really doesn't look good. It gives no room for RP with the character at all if he's just like 'I KEELZ CHU'. Then again, from what's been said, he doesn't do much RP anyways. Still, it's a bit more fun on the giving/receiving end if you RP first then chase them across Aetolia later.

Still has room for improvement.
    DaskalosOrisae
  •  Yuuki said:
    Also, ICly he pretty much kills people for looking at him wrong, which really doesn't look good.

Have you ever met one of the Lochian combatants?

YuukiXavinIlyonAldricAzraelOrisae
  • edited December 2012
    Konnorn said:
     Yuuki said:
    Also, ICly he pretty much kills people for looking at him wrong, which really doesn't look good.

Have you ever met one of the Lochian combatants?

Also no. -- Iosyne

I'm really not sure what you have against me, Yuuki, other than you cutting link as Ladrana when getting chased around the continent, lying in response to an issue about it and getting caught, throwing insults at me, issuing me 7 times (all of which were dismissed AND you lost the ability to file issues for a time for abuse of the issue system) and generally refusing to accept the consequences for any of your actions.

Yea, I think that about sums it up. Also, the signs were an IC response to the Syssin signs that were everywhere else, so that's... ok? And as far as PK, if I have a valid reason, yes, I'll fight. Perhaps if every interaction with your characters didn't begin with an insult, or you defiling our shrine, or you generally being a pest, you would have gotten a different result than you running for your life.

But, keep on with your opinion, please. I can use a good laugh in the mornings! I've never even encountered Yuuki, for that matter, only Ladrana.

Hadoryu
  • Daskalos is someone who has always just been there. Zealous, outspoken, stubborn. I haven't met up much with him since he returned and I started up this player, but I hope I get a chance to interact more eventually. From what I've seen so far and from what I've heard from others, it's bound to be fun in some measure.
  • Daskalos was the best assistant Macian ever had while Macian was GM. :P

His knowledge of Luminary/Enorian history was always awesome to draw on, and I think that's where a lot of his character comes from. People who are outside the org might miss that motivation sometimes because they don't know it exists, but it's definitely there and though-through.
    Haven
  • Personally thought the flag thing was fun, and funny.
    DaskalosOrisaeYuuki
    :D Dask just returned all the flame sigils he got off boomhammering the Syssin flags, that's all!

• I'll chip in!

Dasha isn't the greatest at subtlety, so it's probably no secret that Daskalos was one of the bigger reasons that she ended up departing the city. In short, their personalities just didn't mesh very well. Objectively, I think they both have many of the same goals - namely, the spread of the Light. However, Daskalos came across as rather pragmatic, and the first step he looks to take in accomplishing those goals is crushing Enorian's enemies, and nothing else factors in until that has been accomplished (or so it seems). Dasha is idealistic to a fault, and her first priority would be making sure a society which followed the Light was acting in purity before expanding their focus outward. Pile that on top of the political roiling in Enorian and the fact that she regards Areka as a big role-model, and you've got a recipe for conflict. So yeah, my character dun like yours.

But all in all, Daskalos seems consistent and straightforward. It's not hard to see what he's doing or why, even if it's abrasive. Furthermore, he was really quite helpful the entire time the Dasha was in the city. I quite liked the conflict they had over whether to rescue the guard or the magician's assistant in that event, and I had hoped future interactions might be sparked by it, though nothing took off from it.
    Daskalos
  • I am -not- Amika!
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    Yuuki
  • I think none of us really want to keep hearing you glob up someone's self-affirm with these personal outrages and fits. You've been nothing but rude and insulting and consistently going off the topic of what this thread is about. Please take it out of Daskalos's thread - and the forums as a whole, because it has no benefit to anyone to have to endure it like this.

Yuuki
  • Also, Akimoto openly posted under the title Rellik on the old forums.. not to burst your bubble or anything.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    Yuuki
  • So, how about that Dask-guy? Funny one, ain't he? <.<

AkimotoDaskalos