Chaos Plane Revamp

The Chaos Plane is a big area.  It's also the oldest area in the game that has never received an update to its looks.  It hasn't changed since it was released at the beginning of the game over a decade ago.  On top of that it was never really original to begin with.  It has 101 rooms by my count, but only 37 room names.  On top of reusing the same names, it also uses the same room description for most of these rooms with the same name, recycling the same description with little and often no changes 3-5 times each.  This makes the large area incredibly boring, and no flavor to help enhance players time and experience there.

Multiple players I've talked with have been interested in revamping the plane, redesigning the room names and descriptions, making them unique and bringing the place more up to date and interesting.  Creating room echoes, perhaps basic NPC interactions.  The lords only do things now when you try to dominate them.  The whole place is very bland lifeless for such a large area.  Perhaps even throwing in a quest or two.

I know this would be a big project for builders, but here are many who should submit alot of the work for designs and help with the work.  Anyways, this post is just to gather the thoughts of the rest of you all, if you think the chaos plane could use a thematic reworking, would you be willing to help, is this just a stupid thing and we could be spending our time on better things?  Anyways, leave your thoughts if you have any, thanks.
PiperAlexinaRowena

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I'd love to see more going on with the chaos plane, especially with the lore.
  • After having been to the Chaos Plane, I agree completely with this sentiment. The Chaos Lords are there, the scenery is (kind of) there, but it feels more like a place created for the sole purpose of fulfilling a skillset. A few things I would love to see, and I'm willing to help with:

1: More Vivid Scenery. Be it new room names and descriptions, more area messages, whatever, just something to make the place feel living and to add that sense of trepidation in wandering somewhere that mortals are not meant to tread.

2: History/Lore: For this, I would be okay with monuments or plinths that have been left by past practitioners. Or an event revealing a library or something else dedicated to the study of the Chaos Plane. There is -so- much potential, and I think it can be expanded upon to include both Indorani and Cabalist scholars that sought forbidden knowledge.

3: Chaos Lords: I would really love to see some internal politics on the Chaos Plane. Jy'Barrak is considered the Emperor of Darkness, but I still think it would be fun to not only flesh out the history of the Lords and Ladies, but also push for some machinations. I know this is fairly restrictive due to the 10 minute window you have in the Plane (I think I read that somewhere), but perhaps we could up the limit to 30 minutes? Again, all these begins of unimaginable power, so much potential for story arcs and growth, be it personal or organizational.

That's my thoughts! If I have more I'll be sure to add them to the thread.   

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Please, I would love this so much. I went there and looked and some of the mobs' descriptions and they were pretty poorly written compared to newer areas. It is a very large area but you never really get much of a feeling for the people/things living there.
  • Killien said:

3: Chaos Lords: I would really love to see some internal politics on the Chaos Plane. Jy'Barrak is considered the Emperor of Darkness, but I still think it would be fun to not only flesh out the history of the Lords and Ladies, but also push for some machinations. I know this is fairly restrictive due to the 10 minute window you have in the Plane (I think I read that somewhere), but perhaps we could up the limit to 30 minutes? Again, all these begins of unimaginable power, so much potential for story arcs and growth, be it personal or organizational. 

The 10 minute restriction was only for those who don't have the domination skillset in their active class.  Those who do can stay there without a time limit I believe.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I randomly found a portal to the plane and ts the only time I've ever been, would be neat for a random portal spawn into the area for a fame quest/kill that respawns same as the instance countdown and the entrance is always random
  • edited January 2014
    The problem with that is we need the NPC's alive to use your skills.  In the past when there was freer access to the plane, people would regularly slay them, and we couldn't make any pacts.  I suppose that could work if they created something new to hunt for the line, and they made all the domination NPC's immortal.

Then again, could just add that NPC to the Nazedhu chaos plane area, which already has a free use portal to it.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I would imagine accessing the same chaos plane on unique instance, and then it's an aggro hunting zone with the emperor as a fame line. Domination users could be given a new skill that keeps everything non aggro but you'd get banished if you tried to abuse it to easily gain the fame. Also remove the inability to use pacts if they're dead in someone's instance. Could also challenge the emperor to psy combat instead of killing to make it different
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    I would like to see actual quests in there from the Chaos Lords, that would involve lore and fun interactions.

Also something where each Chaos Lord would show what entity it gives and demonstrates its use as well, much like how the altar works for Tarot in the Indo GH
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    edited January 2014

I'm so absolutely burnt out from coding and everything today that I can't really think of any ideas, but consider this post as publically putting my ass on the line as a volunteer to write anything needed for any potential revamp of the Chaos Plane.

Edit: My Inner Editor had a word with me after I wrote this post.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

• MaghakMaghak The heights of Stormcaller Crag
    The Chaos Plane is actually a very interesting facet of the revamped game lore, and it would be good to be able to make some of that lore available to players via the area; unfortunately it is a very large and relatively low priority project at the moment.

If you're interested in a slightly more modern take on Chaos, there's a small area off the Dun Fortress that is a shard of the wider Plane and contains three Chaos Lords, one of whom is the Sage of the Nazedha Empire.
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Maghak said:
    The Chaos Plane is actually a very interesting facet of the revamped game lore, and it would be good to be able to make some of that lore available to players via the area; unfortunately it is a very large and relatively low priority project at the moment.

If you're interested in a slightly more modern take on Chaos, there's a small area off the Dun Fortress that is a shard of the wider Plane and contains three Chaos Lords, one of whom is the Sage of the Nazedha Empire.
    the issue with that other plane, there is that NPC that sits where you get sent to, and kills you instantly, so you cannot really walk around or do anything.  It use to be where you could go there and explore.  Not sure why it was changed, probably to stop people from going there
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • MaghakMaghak The heights of Stormcaller Crag
    Having just checked over the mobiles, I can confidently say they should not be attacking unprovoked.
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    And having tried to kill them, I can confidently say they are immortal.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

EzalorXavin