How do you detect parry?

DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore ExtraordinareRolling amongst piles of credits.

Working on playing around with limb based stuff, and I'm curious - do you assume head first, or a limb? Do you spend a few rounds testing parry to see what they do, whether they're a 'follow last hit' person, or a 'parry most damaged'?

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
"If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Comments

• You need to pick a random limb at all times, and try not to hit the last limb/limbs you hit. You need to randomize your combos enough that a clear pattern it is not discernible through simple pattern finding. 
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    mind sapience @target

--> target parry (*)

EnemyParry=%1

>.>
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    Dhar
  • I usually attack legs first, then arms, testing for parry. Many people seem to start their parry on their head, from my limited experience at least.

Every system parries differently, and some of those even have different modes. You just have to feel people out. It's an unfortunate part of having to deal with parry that sometimes you end up too far gone by the time you determine that their parry isn't going to move the way you expected.

I honestly wish there were more ways to attack parry, such as proning stoping parry, but I'll admit that would be a huge buff to limb based classes. It's just really frustrating to keep people completely incapacitated for 3 minutes and accidentally let their arms heal between rips to get killed by a 20 second burst offense when you are trying to re-ruin their arms. Playing ultra-conservative I can get all 3 rips without their arms ever healing, but it feels pretty lame holding someone broken in a room for ~5 minutes while you slowly outpace their salve curing one second at a time.... Since I've been playing with devour I can't stop thinking about how terribly boring a fight it must be for the other person when I happen to make progress. </lycanrant>
    Rawr
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Daingean said:
    mind sapience @target

--> target parry (*)

EnemyParry=%1

>.>
    I always assumed people would parry off-bal to mess up monk tracking. Is this not the case?
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    Alexina said:
    Daingean said:
    mind sapience @target

--> target parry (*)

EnemyParry=%1

>.>
    I always assumed people would parry off-bal to mess up monk tracking. Is this not the case?
    It's entirely possible for them to do that if they want. But it gives you a decent-ish idea where not to hit - besides, you can feint off the parry possibility, so if you -really- want to hit the space they just 'parried' even if they didn't actually do it, you can guarantee two solid punches to that limb.

I tend to mix what I know of their limb status - broken, near broken, etc - with the parry output from sapience and do my best to make an educated guess. That is, if the limb they just 'parried' isn't anywhere near broken, I'll assume they're screwing with me.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    Trager
  • You can't change your parry if you're off balance. 
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Daskalos said:

Working on playing around with limb based stuff, and I'm curious - do you assume head first, or a limb? Do you spend a few rounds testing parry to see what they do, whether they're a 'follow last hit' person, or a 'parry most damaged'?

I always just tracked where they parried last. Whenever I changed targets, I made my system go back to assuming they were parrying their head. Worked pretty well for me as a Lycan. Some people who had pretty great parrying systems could get around that, but I would just manually spam skullwhack so that when I got balance back, my system would see that their head wasn't being parried(if it hadn't already hit the parried limb and changed the parried limb to that limb).
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • I cycle torso, arms, legs head.

My Parry tracker can also toggle between random, so instead of writing a convoluted script, I can just change it up easily between combos to hit a different spot depending on where I'm originally aiming. Also of course, if they're paralyzed or have broken arms, then I just whack away. This is a good reason why in Templar if you can crit bruise left arm, you whack whack whack.

I also have a SEPARATE toggle for pain in the butt parry systems (like citadel or some custom ones similar) that counteracts that as well.

I am limb mastah, no one fastah. I hit hit hit that bastah.

If you can get torso, it's nice for the extra bleed, but unless my liaison reports go through for head/torso, they lack a real 'break' like exterior limbs, which helps hide/slow curing to that body part. So if they're high tier, go for legs/arms, if they're mid tier and their parry/curing isn't super up to snuff, hit that torso and make 'em bleeeeed.
    Ishin
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Xiuhcoatl said:
    You can't change your parry if you're off balance. 
    That's the point if they're using mind sapience to track your parrying commands.
  • edited January 2014
    I let TW handle it now, though I'm not convinced I like the way it does it.

I used to handle it manually. I had three macros which would switch the parry next balance.

One for the head. One for the last limb hit. And one for the opposite side of the last limb hit (i.e. left leg if the last limb was the right leg). I also had the usual set of aliases for all limbs, but rarely needed to use them.

That was effective for a lot of years, letting me adjust to people's patterns. I worried that people would screw me if they chose to target arm-leg-arm-leg, but it was never a problem. The secret was to be patient with the switching.

I guess it could have been coded in but making someone my bitch by parrying them lots (manually) was one of the more satisfying aspects of pvp.

Truly automatic random targeting would have defeated it - sort of. The thing is, if it really is automatic random, then it doesn't matter what parrying system you use, you have equal chance of parrying them no matter what you parry.

Edited: because after Draiman posted, I noticed that I wrote automatic when I meant random, and was referring back to Xiuhcoatl's first post in this thread.
  • Irruel said:

I guess it could have been coded in but making someone my bitch by parrying them lots (manually) was one of the more satisfying aspects of pvp.

Wtf did Irruel just use a bad word?

10 years of playing, do believe that is a first for me.

/derail
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

HavenKikon
  • Nowai.