Doctor Who

ArbreArbre Arbrelina JolieBraavos
This discussion was created from comments split from: MAD 2: MADDEN'S MADDENING..

Comments

• Watched the Doctor Who Christmas special yesterday. Matt Smith went bye-bye. :(
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • Meyvitch said:
    Watched the Doctor Who Christmas special yesterday. Matt Smith went bye-bye. :(
    GOOD. MATT SMITH IS HORRIBLE.

HaernArbreCiarelleOleisAryanneRivasJasline
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Xavin said:
    Meyvitch said:

Get out

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    ArbreOleisJasline
  • imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • Setne said:
    Xavin said:
    Meyvitch said:

Get out
    Admit it.

This:
    [spoiler] image
    [/spoiler]

is inferior to this:

[spoiler]
    [/spoiler]

ArbreRivasAarbrokRiluoArekaHaernJasline
  • Each and every Doctor has their place in the series. The 50th Anniversary episode and Christmas special really sealed Matt Smith's ending for me. He grew into the role extremely well. I teared up because damn if that man wasn't breaking some fourth walls just like Tennant did for his own goodbye.
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Everyone is inferior to David Tennant, but Matt Smith judged on his own merits was a very good Doctor and I liked his run and will miss him.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    ArbreAryanne
  • I just haven't really cared for Matt Smith's particular brand of campy Doctor.

• edited December 2013
    Really? I thought Smith was remarkably LESS campy than the last... Well, than any of the other doctors I've watched so far... So... at least the most recent two and another several from classic.

I adooored Tennant, and he's still my favourite doctor, but Smith was waaaaaaay less campy and the series is just hella better since the new writers took over. Plenty of the improvement has nothing to do with the actor, it's just that the writing is 20x's better than before and the cinematography is more serious so it has a less campy feel, etc.etc.

EDIT: As I'm rereading, it sounds like maybe you only meant that ALL doctors have been campy, and you just didn't like Smith's style, the campiness being a moot point and shared among all the doctors, thus making my whole statement unnecessary. Hm. Oh well.

• edited December 2013
    I just really didn't like Amy Pond or Steven Moffat's obsession with her, her hair, and making out the 11th Doctor to be the end-all-be-all of Doctors. He was good, but he certainly wasn't as godlike and fantastic as Moffat wanted others to think he was. I'm worried that Capaldi might get the short sheet from Moffat, writing/directing/showrunning-wise, just cause he's NOT Smith, y'know?

(And on a note that certainly doesn't belong in this MAD thread, I absolutely love Jenna Coleman, Capaldi's first scene, the 50th special and almost everything about the Christmas special. And Rory, Rory was my favorite.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

Aarbrok
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I think I cut myself on that guys cheekbones.
  • I mean more of his formulaic "I X a Y now, Y's are cool". I swear, that stuff was so grating to me. All in all, I just didn't care for the whole shebang with Matt Smith's Doctor. Amy Pond didn't feel like a proper companion, River Song was way too huge a Mary Sue, it didn't ever really feel like there was any danger to the Doctor. About the only side-character I cared for was Rory. Maybe it's just personal preference.

HaernRivas
  • Rivas said:
    her hair
    Self-loathing is a terrible thing for gingers to have, Rivas.
    Arbre
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Heathens. Christopher Eccleston, forever and always.
    ArbreAryanne
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    I've never seen an episode of Doctor Who. I just love Matt Smith.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    No one is better than Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.
  • I have no favorite Doctor, but I have a lot of affection for Tom Baker and Eccleston as he was my first Doctor. (teared up so bad when Baker had his cameo in the 50th anniversary episode)
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    I'll be honest with everyone.. I was more a fan of the Master. :(
    Aryanne
  • Obligatory: ..Doctor... who?

Moirean
  • edited December 2013
    This is admittedly the only Dr. Who related thing I've ever seen:

SolariaPeriluna
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    @Arbre in all honesty I started the chain about Doctor Who with my comment before the first one here, about watching it and what not.  heh
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Captain Jack Harkness!  mmmmm  hunk-a-lish!
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    Aryanne
  • The only problem with Matt Smith as the Dr is Moffat's terrible writing/story holes/love conquers all obsession. If the writers brought a more sherlocky approach to Dr Who then we would have seen a remarkably better Matt Smith era.
    RivasAryanne
  • I think that's a good point. While Moffat is capable of some really good writing and amazing concepts (ex, the original weeping angels episode), I feel like with him at the head of their writing team things have changed too much. Maybe the majority of my issues with the Matt Smith Doctor stem from that.

• edited January 2014
    Moffat is better at single/double episodes (Blink, Forest of the Dead/Silence in the Library, Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, etc) than doing an overall season arc, let alone multi-season. Yes, Steven, we get it...you gave us the Weeping Angels and the Silence, you like creating monsters that are scary and/because it forces you to stare at them. Yes, Steven, we get it...you ended two back-to-back seasons on the premise of "the Universe is strange/wrong somehow, and now it's up to the Doctor to restart it back to normal". New formulas, please, stop re-using ideas.

@Haern: I -want- to like Eccleston, he was my first Doctor too...but it's hard to get behind a guy who never really liked the role in the first place, and refuses to talk about it now. Seriously though, go back through the Amy Pond episodes and count the references to her being ginger or the number of times they did some kind of camerawork/special effects that focused almost solely on her hair and the way it moved and flowed (when he's holding her by her ankle outside of the TARDIS in space, when she and Rory are falling off the building of New York together, etc).

In conclusion, Moffat finds something that works and just HAMMERS. IT. INTO. THE. DAMN. GROUND. The best episodes of his tenure were ones -not- written by him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

Xavin