Weaponry

MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
edited December 2013 in Idea Box
So I was writing a report (1604) about weaponry and...it got too long, and I realized that I'm throwing out too many ideas for a simple report. So! Here are some thoughts about ways to make weaponry a more fun and cool skillset!

You possess the following abilities in Weaponry:
Proficiencies             Gaining proficiencies in individual weapons.
WeaponProbe               Learning of venoms or magical effects on weapons. 
Armaments                 Gauge the effectiveness of arms and armor at a glance. ---> Move weaponprobe and armaments down to innate skills. They are SO vital and are absolutely basic utility.
Beatdown                  Threaten another with your weaponry skills.
Weaponbelts               Wield weapons with ease. ---> Move this down lower. It's so vital for combat
Naming                    Bestow a name upon your weapon.
Targeting                 Aiming your blows at specific body parts.
Parrying                  The ability to parry attacks.
Scabbards                 Fluidly wield items from a scabbard.
Decapitate                Hack the head from a player's corpse.
Bladepike                 Show the world what happens to those who cross you.
Envenom                   Coat a weapon in venoms.
Proficient                Grants you a free proficiency in a weapon of choice.
Warrior'sGrace            Practice with your weapons to make you fleet of foot.
ShieldStance              Quickly wield a shield by wearing it upon your back.
Wounding                  Use a blunt weapon to deal trauma
Throwing                  Greatly improve your chances of hitting when throwing.
TargetThrow               The ability to throw at specific body parts.
DualProficient            Your training has taught you enough to master another weapon.
Banners                   Attach a banner to your blade.
Archery                   The proper use of longbows.
Slam                      Use your shield for a powerful slam.
Blocking                  Block an exit.
Shatter                   Deliver a limb-crushing blow.
Jousting                  A powerful mounted attack.
Returning                 Quickly fetch weapons you have thrown.
Chains                    Use of the fierce weapon chains.
Territory                 Mark a spot as your territory for slaughter.
Behead                    He was an ugly bugger anyway.
Brainsmash                Using a blunt weapon, smash your target's brain into pulp.
TriProficiet              Your extensive training has taught you mastery of another weapon.
Warcries                  Intimidate the world with your personalized warcry.
MartialHall               The reward for the transcendent weaponmaster.  

Beatdown:
Usage: BEATDOWN <target>
When staredown just isn't enough. Menacingly swing a weapon. If your weaponry (or maybe level? Or might?) is higher than the target's, it gives a threatening flavor message about the weapon nearly hitting you, or a pathetic swing and a miss if your weaponry is lower. 

Naming:
Usage: NAME <weapon> <name>
Bestows a name upon a weapon, eg Dawnbringer or Bloodseeker. The weapon's name will then be appended to its full description when you examine it.

Scabbards:
Usage: SHEATH <weapon>
            WIELD <weapon>
You can now fluidly wield a weapon you have sheathed in a scabbard. Basically lets you use a scabbard as a weaponbelt for a single weapon.

Bladepike:
Usage: PIKE <head> ON <weapon>
Lets you pike a head on a bladed weapon. Changes the ql to indicate the head on the weapon ("Toz is here. He wields a jagged halberd piked with a decapitated head."). Examining the weapon would show an appended line saying who the head belongs to!

Proficiency:
You are given a free weapon proficiency. This would show up in STAT, ala reincarnations. Players would still go to weaponmasters to cash them in.

Warrior's grace:
Usage: PRACTICE WITH <weapon/practicesword>
Lets you practice your weaponry to make you more fleet of foot, gives some flavor messages,  basically as long as a lesson learning session, then grants the grace defence, because monuments suck.

Wounding:
Usage: passive
Your basic attacks with a blunt weapon will also deliver bruising. Note: this would have combat applications. The goal, though is to provide an extra avenue of combat, and this would be a skill you use instead of a class skill attack. Would require balancing.

Banners:
Usage: ATTACH <flag/banner> TO <weapon>
Lets you attach a banner to your bladed weapon, just gives line appended to the weapon's desc on ql when it's wielded (eg "Ezalor is here. He wields a scythe bearing a bloody red banner."). Examining the weapon would show an appended line about the attached banner.

Slam:
Usage: SLAM <target> <direction>
           SLAM ICEWALL
Lets you use a shield to slam someone to the ground or, if a direction is specified, into another room (mass would stop this). Also let you use a shield to shatter an icewall. Also maybe include a great message about doing it untargetted and randomly slamming yourself into a wall for the lulz. 

Block:
Usage: BLOCK <direction>
There was talk a while back about how some team fights end up shafted because nobody there can block. So, maybe make it accessible to everyone, instead of being wrecked by lure and stuff because your templar was afk.

Jousting:
Usage: JOUST <target> <direction>
I loved joust! Bring it back, let it go through multiple LoS rooms, have the damage be based on how many rooms you charge through as a windup. With the addition of eagle-eye, this could be a fun tactical option. Maybe include penalties - have it go through rebounding, but dismount/stun/damage you if you hit a shield or something.

Chains:
Usage: ATTACH <chain> TO <weapon>
Lets you use a weapon chain. New forged item you attach to the weapon. Changes returning message to indicate a chain dragging the weapon back to your hand.

Territory:
Usage: FLAG/TOTEM MARK 
           FLAG/TOTEM PLANT
Lets you set a flag/totem with your mark. Planting it would then let you erect your flag/totem in the area, granting some sort of bonus for a short amount of time to allies in the area. Or maybe some debuff to enemies. Or just add a cool room desc line.

Warcries: 
Lets you set a custom warcry message. Similar to cshouts, let you submit a message for the line before the words, instead of the default ragey rant we have now.

Martial Hall
Usage: DECLARE MARTIALHALL
Big fancy trans ability, lets you set a single room that you own (haven/house/etc) as your martial hall. Maybe have the practicing for warrior's grace only able to be done in a martial hall. Once a RL day you can use your hall to replenish endurance/wp to full. Or can hang up banners or display piked heads. Or something nifty. 
OmeiAlexinaPiperFerrikBakhtuhXiuhcoatl

Comments

• I don't know how feasible some of these are but I really, really love all of it.

i am rapture coder
  • Not a fan of giving block to everyone, the rest looks great.

• edited December 2013
    Block for everyone seems a little too much as its already annoying with templar having it with focus

Slam Also seems more like a class skill then a skill everyone can have

The others do look good tho, I do miss jousting!

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    First I clicked like, then I clicked agree.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Yeah, block I was unsure of, I just recall it being something that was debated in the past about side balance. The slam I was imagining to be fairly weak (no stun or anything), but also with a cool reskin of firelash for funsies.
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    I reaaaaaaally like the scabbards one.
    I would rock a scabbard and make alot more crafting designs if I could functionally use them. PLZ scabbards.

That is all.
    PiperAngwe
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs

You have begun to wield 'BONE CRUSHER' in your right hand.

You have begun to wield 'LIFE DEVOURER' in your left hand.

I can dig it. Back when the Blademaster class came out in Achaea, I remember the named swords being the most amazing thing about it (for me anyways).

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    What scaling were you envisioning for bruising, vs Templar bruising, with blunt things? 

I'd love to have Jousting back. 

I'd personally probably move naming up higher in the skillset - it's a big thing to name a blade, not a novice's craft. 

I, relatedly because that's a word I swear, sent Oleis a bunch of stuff about masteries and forging and proficiencies, to make more use of weapon families and easier expansion down the road for new weapons. >> wooo weapons. 
    I hadn't thought up numbers really for bruising. It'd be kinda a minor new offensive option, so nothing incredibly major, but interesting enough to try to weave in with some classes. It'd be something for liaison balancing (or just to exclude). 

My goal with these suggestions is mostly to display a range of ideas that could be used to flesh out weaponry, because the skillset is really quite a sad, forlorn, empty one right now, and it's totally a drag to learn it. 
  • edited December 2013
    Banners probably should only be on things like spears, tridents, staves and polearms. If it's any bladed weapon, you could have people sticking banners on things like rapiers or daggers or handaxes and that'd just be silly.

Edit: My full list of things for banners: spear, trident, javalin, halberd, bardiche, quarterstaff, aetherstaff, voidstaff?

Likewise, only certain types of weapon should be able to be sheathed. Pretty much just the swords/daggers/dirks.

Xiuhcoatl
  • Could use a tassel or something on the hilt of bladed weapons. Even a hand-axe, really.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Fair enough. Maybe even have a different fun option for each weapon type, like let people do something with bludgeons and swords like smear them in blood (or maybe they automatically show that for an Aet day after you brainsmash/behead? DUDE).
  • Glitter.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

PerilunaAarbrok
  • Some of these changes are very much needed! (Armaments! Weaponprobe got lowered too after all) All in all it could do with some more skills. The suggested flavour ones I'm in favour of too, I'm sure things can be fleshed out more over time.

All I have to say is: Yeenius!

• Xavin said:
    Banners probably should only be on things like spears, tridents, staves and polearms. If it's any bladed weapon, you could have people sticking banners on things like rapiers or daggers or handaxes and that'd just be silly.

Edit: My full list of things for banners: spear, trident, javalin, halberd, bardiche, quarterstaff, aetherstaff, voidstaff?

Likewise, only certain types of weapon should be able to be sheathed. Pretty much just the swords/daggers/dirks.
    Bro, do you even China.

i am rapture coder
    DraimanSetne
  • I maintain that it'd be silly as heck! But okay.

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited December 2013
    Gotta say, letting us name our weapons would be a preeeeeeeetty bad idea. There's a reason Achaea Blademasters get autonamed weapons. Slam BBT needs to die in a fire, not be made accessible to everyone. Block as people have mentioned. Bruising meh. Rest looks good.
  • TozToz
    edited December 2013
    The reason that random names for Achaean blademasters happened is because on average, an Achaean couldn't blow their nose with brain-power. If it's appended to the item desc itself and not in the short name, I think it'll be fine.

...Also, Achaeans CAN name their weapons. Any arti weapon can be customized.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

• Aetolians can do that now, too, with the weapon customization rune.

• Right. So, there you go - I don't think adding some name to the end of a ldesc is really going to be anything too worrying.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    That goes through an approval process though. I guess you could have admin approval for every time someone forges a new weapon and wants to name it but that's not very practical.
  • For naming, you could just have it based on good will and the use of the issue command if it's completely inappropriate. Nobody wants to get brainsmashed with buttkingmcpoopyface the morningstar.
    RiluoPiper
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    As a point of reference, 90% of admin approval situations are way more a matter of "Is this tacky or misspelled" than "is this appropriate?"
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    OmeiXavin
  • Volley in archery.

VOLLEY <target>

Line of sight not necessary, but target must be in same area. Only has 10-15% chance of hitting desired target. If others are in same room, each person there has a percentage of that chance to be hit instead. Aiming cannot be applied.
    -Think group of fighters launch volley towards Ezalor.
    - Ezalor standing with 3 of his buddies.
    - One of them gets hit in the shoulder "ARCHERS!!"
    - Return volley created.
    - Archery fun ensues.
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    I totally read that as Volleyball and now I can't stop thinking of an Aetolian gym class. Ezalor in tiny gym shorts and all. :(
    PerilunaXiuhcoatl
  • @Piper,

That's a disturbing..disturbing image. That pale nerd skin (Bloodborn are totally the nerdy vampires).
    Piper