Mafia: Nineteen Eighty-Four

edited January 2013 in OOC Chat
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU. 

General Mafia Rules
Click here for an example of a completed mafia game. 

1.) The rounds will consist of one day and one night. 
-A day round ends after a lynch. If a majority is not reached in 36 hours, I will pick the unperson and we'll move on! 
-A night round is over once ALL applicable PR actions are in and mafia votes have been submitted or 24 hours have passed. 
2.) No emoting will be allowed. 
3.) HAVE FUN! If you are not having fun do not lash out and stop posting - contact me. We can work something out.
4.) No editing posts. 
5.) No PM quoting the roles I give you or speaking in other communication mediums with the intention of gaining leverage and/or finding out information through players. "Well, I AIM'd <player> and she admitted to me she was a monk and I..." <---Not allowed. 
6.) Once you’re dead you must stop posting unless its the occasional: oooOooooOooo.  
7.) Once the game has begun please do not post in the mafia thread if you are not playing the game. If you are one of our players please do not derail the thread. 
8.) You must post once every 48 hours unless you notify me via a PM. You will receive one prod. After that, you put yourself at risk to join the list of unpersons. 
9.) If you request a prod or a votecount please bold your request so I can see it.
10.) Please bold and color your red so your vote does not get lost 
11.) You may NOT Vote: No Lynch.
12.) Once a player reaches Lynch Threshold  and I have deemed them among the list of unpersons -that is all she wrote! There is no second chance in mafia. However, if I do not post in a timely fashion and you notice a vote has already reached majority keep playing. The round doesn't end until I post. 

People of Oceania: 

Proles (Town - 8): Working class citizens of a rapidly changing Oceania who seek to pull out the last leg BB has to stand on. 

-Goldstein Brotherhood (3 of 8): A brotherhood formed in the image of the late Goldstein and the only inner party member on record who opposed the interests of the party and wasn't written out of history to become an 'unperson'. Members of the brotherhood look to protect the interests of the people while maintaining security. Members of the Brotherhood each have their own abilities developed over time that help them to serve their cause to the fullest: 

Bleeder: If shot during the night the town will be notified that a gun shot was heard but will not reveal who is shot. He/she lasts through the night round, gets to participate during the day round with their vote still counted toward a lynch and after their death in the night round will reveal the last mafia vote. 

Child: Rumored to be the son of the infamous Goldstein it is said the child is sure to bring all mafia to justice. If killed by mafia on the night round before he is able to fullfil this obligation, mafia will be unable to kill anyone during the next night round. However, all other night actions against the mafia will be accepted. 

TruthSpeaker: A former worker in the MiniTrue - the TruthSpeaker is a person who has dealt with numerous pieces of evidence  officer of Minitrue, He/she has a knack for telling when people are not telling the truth. 

Once per day round the TruthSpeaker can ask me in a PM asking: "Is <person> really a <role>?" It is a yes or no question. They can investigate anyone with any role. 

Big Brother/Inner party (Mafia - 4): Slowly loosing their iron grip on the populace, the inner party seems more determined than ever to put the people in their place. Will the inner party successfully regain complete control over their Oceania? 

Thought Police Officer: Upon receiving their role the player will get to pick one other power role and three unique words. If the PR uses any of these words in their posts it is an automatic death.  

Reflector: The reflector is a person who has been trained in the art of deception and personality neutrality. They will pick one person to visit each night and if killed in friendly fire during the night round or lynched during the day; the reflector will reflect the identity of the person they last visited. The person visited by the reflector will not be notified of the visit. 

Democrat (1): Disapproving of both the ruthlessness of the party and the lack of direction exhibited by the Brotherhood; the Democrat has decided to take things into their own hands.

They have the ability to inquire about one role per night with a 60% to get the right answer. If the role fails he/she will get a NO RESULT. Even if they get a NO RESULT they can still send a PM to me that will go out to all power roles regardless of affiliation. The message will be anonymous. However, up to one other anonymous private message can be submitted and distributed per night. The first to be private messaged to me will be the one selected. 
List of unpersons:
Aldric (TruthSpeaker)
Orisae (Child)
Rho (Town) 
Ilyon (Democrat)
Alexina (Inner Party Member)
Malak  (Inner Party Member)
Tree (Proles)
Aarbrok (Proles) 

Live Oceanians: 
Malak
Kiyotan
Damonicus
Orisae
Aldric
Zun 
Alexina
Periluna
Ilyon
Tree
Aarbrok
Demarcus
Rho

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

Ilyon

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Please PM me if you didn't get your role. I'm sorry I was MIA. The game will start tomorrow after it is verified that everyone got their roles. The backstory will also be posted tomorrow. 

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• edited January 2013
    Winston stared at himself in the mirror, lifting a finger to fight a stubborn lock of hair that refused to right itself. He dropped his hand and continued to stare at the man looking back at him. It had been seven long years since the party had broken him and he had since become a new man - he knew that. He tried to picture where he would be if Goldstein hadn't paid him visit in his dreams and then again in the dead of night a year after his 're-education'. It still confused him as to why a man like Goldstein would bother with him, let alone suggest he join the Brotherhood. He probably would have assumed he dreamed that meeting as well if it weren't for meeting the child and rightful heir to the leadership of the Brotherhood. It took every minute of the last seven years to accept his position and it would likely take another three or four before he was any good at utilizing it. He was sure his psychological death had been just that - a death. But thanks to the support he got from the brotherhood and enabling gesture of Goldstein to deem him worthy, he had come back with a renewed vigor. 

There was nothing he could do for his Julia; his love for her was gone as surely as his love for Big Brother. As such, both loves proved to be mutually destructive. Julia was dead - vaporized. The details have become little more than rumor but from what he heard through the grapevine - Julia was one of the first females to speak against the Proles when they first started to storm the streets and disobey big brother. Big brother made a clumsy mistake and started to kill people in public - forcing the youth leagues to watch. At first the people followed blindly but it wasn't too long before one spoke and then another. Instead of the subtle glory that made and sustained the iron hold the party had; people began to - for once in a horrendously long while - doubt the influence of their government. Slowly, one doubt led to another  and it wasn't too long before a welcomed transition followed instead of iron imperialism. Julia, so passionate about her big brother, tried to sway the crowd after a particularly violent execution. Needless to say, the people did not respond well. After time one by one of the ministries began to fall - Minipax, Miniplenty, Minitrue, and Miniluv. Their existence is a mere formality now to some, but Winston did not fool himself into believing their power was gone. He still believed people need to fight and speak. Today was the day he would fullfil that service. 

--

"We need -better-, we deserve -better-," Winston called from the stage. "We deserve to feel safe and validated - we derser-..." He could feel a burning sensation in his chest. There was a scream from the crowd and everything went blank. 

Winston has been murdered. The Proles of Oceania stared in shock as the man who worked to bring them hope lay bleeding on the stage. First it was mourning - an unsettling realization that their hero was dead. Second, was anger. Who will win in this race for survival? 

THE GAME HAS BEGUN. 

• Valenae said:
    THE GAME HAS BEGUN. 
    15 letters. 3 spaces. 15 / 3 = 5.

Live Oceanians: 
    Malak
    Kiyotan
    Damonicus
    Orisae
    Aldric
    Zun 
    Alexina
    Periluna
    Ilyon
    Tree
    Aarbrok
    Demarcus
    Rho

Let's get this party started. I vote for Aldric.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    edited January 2013
    Works for me.  He ditched me IG anyways, loser.

VOTE: Aldric

Also, thank you for listing all of the players.
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    I'm not sure I understand what the roles of this game do, but I do understand bandwagons.

Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Gotta like a good rally of pitchforks and torches!

• Mm, this looks like an awesome setting. Could we get a bit of a clarification for some of the roles, though? The descriptions aren't really obvious in some cases. Specifically, I'd like to get more information on these:

Bleeder: what is meant by "their death in the night round will reveal the last mafia vote"? Does it mean that the death will simply reveal the identity of the now-dead bleeder, or something more beyond that?

Truthspeaker: "TruthSpeaker can ask me in a PM if someone is telling the truth about his/her role" - does this mean that the truthspeaker can only ask about someone who claims to be X, or to not be X (such as when someone claims to not be mafia), or can he investigate anyone?

Reflector: "the reflector will reflect the identity of the person they last visited." - what does this mean exactly?

Democrat: "However, up to one more anonymous PM can be submitted and distributed per night. The first to be PM'd will be the one selected." - does this mean that only the democrat can send out these messages, or that anyone can? In case of the former, what does the "first message only" part mean?

• edited January 2013
    Ilyon said:
    Mm, this looks like an awesome setting. Could we get a bit of a clarification for some of the roles, though? The descriptions aren't really obvious in some cases. Specifically, I'd like to get more information on these:

Bleeder: what is meant by "their death in the night round will reveal the last mafia vote"? Does it mean that the death will simply reveal the identity of the now-dead bleeder, or something more beyond that?

Truthspeaker: "TruthSpeaker can ask me in a PM if someone is telling the truth about his/her role" - does this mean that the truthspeaker can only ask about someone who claims to be X, or to not be X (such as when someone claims to not be mafia), or can he investigate anyone?

Reflector: "the reflector will reflect the identity of the person they last visited." - what does this mean exactly?

Democrat: "However, up to one more anonymous PM can be submitted and distributed per night. The first to be PM'd will be the one selected." - does this mean that only the democrat can send out these messages, or that anyone can? In case of the former, what does the "first message only" part mean?
    Bleeder: If shot during the night round, his vote will count through the following day round. In the next night round, however, he will die and reveal who was the last mafia vote against him. 

TruthSpeaker: He/she can ask directly - "Is this person really <role>?" He/she can ask about any role. 

Reflector: During the night round they pick one person to visit. They will find out that role. If they die to town or mafia they will reflect the last person they chose to visit. 

Democrat: Accompanied with the Democrat, others may submit one anon message to me that will go out to all other power roles. One other message will be selected along with the democrats to distributed at night.   

And for future reference: The first post in the thread will be the post to reflect the Unpersons and Persons of Oceania. 

The first post will edited to separate the game language and flavor text so it is easier to understand. 

Vote count: 
    Zun has voted for Aldric. 
    Arbre has voted for Aldric. 
    Kiyotan has voted for Aldric. 
    Aarbrok has voted for Aldric. 
    Number of votes cast: 4. 
    Number needed for majority: 7 

• Awesome, thanks.

I guess I may just as well hop on this train.

Hrm, there are 13 people involved, shouldn't it be 7 for majority?

• VOTE: Aldric

• Shaw.

Vote: Aldric
  • Even though the majority has already been reached... I'll hop on.

• edited January 2013
    "No! Stop!" Aldric says as the crowd approaches him. "You don't understand! I've spoken nothing but t-t-truth!" He throws up his hands as the crowd rapidly circles him, grabbing any objects they can to satisfy their bloodlust. A grunt and a few thuds later, Aldric's blood pools around the feet of the crowd. 

Aldric has been lynched. He was the TruthSpeaker

It is now NIGHT. Please PM your night actions to me.

• :(
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • I've gotten one vote from a mafia member. Remember - the mafia vote someone off every night. If you're a mafia member, send me a PM with your vote. 

• I have two votes from mafia now.

As an aside: I'm currently on a plane waiting for take off. I will be flying for the next 6 hours. After I'm off I will calculate the votes and post results. So this is your last reminder for night actions! Please get it in! If a majority for the mafia vote is not reached, it will be ruled NO RESULT. Also: the first prods will be given after the 2nd day round.

• edited January 2013
    NO RESULT has been killed during the night round. Some yelling did disturb the townsfolk, though. It sounded like there was a brawl in the streets. Maybe the mafia was so eager to fight they turned on each other.

You may now: Discuss things during the night round. Again, no votes are counted to lynch - all night actions are performed as normal.

It is now DAY

• Poor NO RESULT, he will be missed. Regrettably, this means that we have few additional data other than that we can probably suspect the silent ones. So, going down the list of silent ones:

VOTE: Malak

• I wasn't silent! I voted for aldric and since then have been waiting on Valenae. On phone right now so not ideal conditions to analyse silence but ill be back with a theory later!
  • Ack, indeed you did. Okay, scratch that vote for now.

• People that did not vote last round:
    Alexina
    Orisae
    Rho
    Demarcus

Zun started vote against Aldric

• DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    No point voting when Aldric was already taken out. Just saying.
  • Orisae not posting is unusual.

Therefore:

Vote: Orisae
  • Demarcus said:

No point voting when Aldric was already taken out. Just saying.

?

• VOTE: Demarcus

Because I don't really have an excuse, and just randomly picked from the list of people that didn't vote.
  • Hmm, indeed, that one is quieter than usual. Vote: Malak Orisae

• Vote: Orisae
  • I will side with Demarcus since he is right, no point in voting when there is a majority lynch already, but Orisae being quiet is just not right.

Vote: Orisae

• Ilyon has voted for Orisae.
    Rho has voted for Orisae.
    Damonicus has voted for Orisae.
    Periluna has voted for Demarcus
    Votes cast for Orisae: 3
    Votes cast for Demarcus: 1
    Votes needed for majority: 6

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Honestly, this game feels a bit weird. The first round finished very quickly, and nothing happened during night round.

I'll go with Periluna and Vote: Demarcus