Mafia: Dead Divinities

This is the game thread for our current mafia game!

If you've never played on the forums and would like an example of how a game goes, here is the latest successful example of a more vanilla-themed game.

The Rules:

- Each round is divided into one day and one night.
- During the day, everyone can talk and discuss among themselves. Voting also occurs during this time, and when a majority has been reached I'll announce the death.
- A successful lynch ends the day phase of the round.
- During the night you may talk, but you may not vote.
- The night phase is over when all of the power folks PM me with what they want to do. If you don't respond in a timely manner, you'll forfeit the opportunity to do so for that round.
- You MAY NOT post screenshots/copy PMs to people to prove you are a certain role. Don't spoil the fun.
- You may at any time send me a PM to have an anonymous message posted to the rest of the players.

Note: I'm going to consider 'a timely manner' no longer than twelve hours for the sake of keeping the game going.

- I'll try my best to keep day rounds going as smoothly as possible. If I notice things start slugging off, I'm going to announce that there's 'x hours left in the round' upon which point the person with the highest number of votes will be lynched.

- You may send me PMs to have an anonymous message posted. I'll get to these as quickly as I can.
(Put this separate and bolded because it's something people tend to forget sometimes)

Background:

Varian's lost it. Absolutely furious over the supposedly less-than-suitable state of affairs currently engulfing the continent, he's decided that if you need something fixed you just need to do it yourself. He's set himself against his children and has resolutely claimed that he'll be murdering them all, one-by-one; but there's strength in numbers. The Pantheon has joined together with the remaining Celani in an attempt to finally kill Varian once and for all.

But Varian isn't quite alone either. He's selected a handful of mortals to create what he refers to as the Ascended, mortals imbued with unspeakable power that comes close to surpassing even that of the Gods. These Ascended are certainly quite a threat, one that's only become more dangerous after Varian disguised both himself and his ascended as regular immortals.

The Roles:

Severn - Once per night Severn can create a passable, though not-quite-intelligent replica of any immortal. This replica will surely be enough to protect his selected target from any attacks during the night and following day.

Auresae - Auresae can immolate TWO immortals throughout the course of the game at any time she'd like. The amount of essence required to kill another immortal is so staggeringly high that she likely wouldn't survive to destroy a third.

Note: This can be done at any time, day or night. The kill will go through as soon as I get your PM. If the target is protected by Severn the target will not die, a message will be posted about the attempted attack and its failure, BUT the user will retain the shot.

Omei - Once per night Omei can weasel her way into the dreams of the other immortals to discern their alignment.

The Celani - The grape-peelers of the group. Alone they may not be strong, but together they're quite the force.

-----------

Baelak Shipbreaker - Bealak is back, and hungrier than ever for power. He's managed to assemble an army of Nazedha larger than any army we've yet seen within Aetolia. His troops have been split into three divisions, each of which he can send to slay one person whenever he'd like, day or night.

Note: This can be done at any time, day or night. The kill will go through as soon as I get your PM. If the target is protected by Severn the target will not die, a message will be posted about the attempted attack and its failure, BUT the user will retain the shot.

-----------

The Ascended - Varian's underlings. Once per night they have the ability to vote to kill off one person.

Varian - Big daddy V. If investigated by Omei, he will show up as a regular immortal.

Win Conditions:

The Ascended win if they successfully manage to outnumber the Pantheon!

The Pantheon wins if they successfully manage to kill off all of the Ascended!

Baelak wins if everybody else dies but him!

Players:

Piper
Trager
Alexina
Moirean
Toz
Teani
Lin
Macavity
Demarcus
Ilyon
Llok
Periluna
Damonicus
Aarbrok
Sarita
Draiman
Ciarelle

Periluna

Comments

• Role PMs will be heading out Soon(tm). I'll post when the game has started, but for now please refrain from posting here.

• (Gods): Varian says, "Razmael, what are you up to?"

(Gods): Razmael says, "Just finishing up the Sentinel changes, what's up?"

(Gods): Varian says, "Oh nothing."

A bolt of blue lightning flashes across the firmament.
    Razmael has been slain by the might of Varian.

(Gods): Valdus says, "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo."

(Gods): Oleis says, "Does this make me the new producer?"

A bolt of blue lightning flashes across the firmament.
    Oleis has been slain by the might of Varian.

And so the first and second shots were fired, Razmael Varian's first and foremost target with Oleis a close second. Varian evidently means business this time. In record time the rest of the Immortals escaped the Pools, finding sanctuary within the Prime Material Plane where Varian would have to try just a bit harder to find them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE GAME HAS BEGUN

DAY 1

Severn is alive and still shadowy as ever.
    Auresae is alive with 2 immolation attempts left.
    Omei is alive and doing Her thing.
    Baelak Shipbreaker is sailing around with 3 armies remaining.
    There are 3 of the Ascended alive and plotting.
    Varian lives, eager to dispose of more of His children.
    There are 9 Celani peeling grapes somewhere.

9 votes to lynch

PiperDemarcusLinCiarelle
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Ahhh hahahaha! I random.org 'd the list 17 times. Llok came out on top. I don't feel like offing Llok this early. Macavity was second. I also don't feel like picking on Macavity this early, either, even though he did kill me last game. Hrmmm, decisions decisions. Toz was 6th. If he had been 3rd, it would have been a sign...
  • Who was actually number three?

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Ilyon.
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    1. Piper
    2. Trager
    3. Alexina
    4. Moirean
    5. Toz
    6. Teani
    7. Macavity
    8. Demarcus
    9. Ilyon
    10. Llok
    11. Periluna
    12. Damonicus
    13. Aarbrok
    14. Sarita
    15. Draiman
    16. Ciarelle

Wow. Sorry @Llok!

Vote: Llok
  • So that's either two people who randomly came to the conclusion that Llok should be our first sacrifice, or two people of some coalition that don't like him one bit.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Toz said:
    So that's either two people who randomly came to the conclusion that Llok should be our first sacrifice, or two people of some coalition that don't like him one bit.
    Lin's methodology does not include Lin as a possible target. Mine included me as a possible target. Just wanted to point that out. But at any rate...

Vote: Lin
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    I personally like the first round method of letting a majority of the people post to see who is either quiet or just lost interest, and then aiming for those people. Chances are they are quiet because they're helping Varian and don't want to attract too much attention, but even if they're not and they just aren't playing, they'll end up dragging the game down. I'm not voting for anyone yet.
    DemarcusCiarelle
    Demarcus said:

Toz said:
    So that's either two people who randomly came to the conclusion that Llok should be our first sacrifice, or two people of some coalition that don't like him one bit.
    Lin's methodology does not include Lin as a possible target. Mine included me as a possible target. Just wanted to point that out. But at any rate...

Why would I vote to lynch myself?
    Lin said:
    Demarcus said:

Toz said:

Why would I vote to lynch myself?
    Random is random. By removing yourself from the equation it is no longer an impartial and arbitrary way of selecting who dies.
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    The man makes a good point.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

After spinning around three times, closing my eyes and pointing at Lin's list of names I didn't hit any of them. So...

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited December 2013
    Vote: Trager

Nobody makes "a good point" in round one. All votes are arbitrary...except for the ones that try to cite others for their logic (again, this early on there IS no logic) and join a train.

(edited just to bold/color, sorry)
    Trager
    You know, you just may be right. Voting is completely arbitrary at this point...except for the ones that try and start a train.

Unvote: Lin

Vote: Moirean

• It should be noted that every single post in here with any red text (and perhaps a few without) is trying to start a chain. But I don't think I can vote for all of you.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Trager
    I'm glad you agree with my logic - your vote for Lin did indeed start a train, and so my vote for you is not arbitrary. It was logical.
    Trager
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    lets get some people talking!

VOTE: Piper
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    Trager
  • I'lllllllll vooooooooooooooote foooooooooooooooor....

Vote: Alexina
    Moirean said:
    I'm glad you agree with my logic - your vote for Lin did indeed start a train, and so my vote for you is not arbitrary. It was logical.
    So now the difference between logical and arbitrary is whether you vote for someone new, or someone who's already been voted on? Interesting rules this game has, Moirean.

My vote was based on logic because it wasn't picked based off some RNG or counter-vote, but in response to analyzed actions (admittedly, still scant at this point).
    I literally just scrolled through a number of people who used a computer randomizer to pick a name out of a hat, so to speak. But I am glad that I am the frivolous one.

• Getting rid of inactives early on does sound like a plausible approach, yes. Waiting on the vote to see who they are.

• Moirean and Trager are publicly feuding early on... this is gonna get annoying before long
    LinDemarcus
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    I'm going to just hold my vote until someone sounds really sneaky. 

Also, @Llok, I like it when they go for the eyes..
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Woah, kickstarted after I went to sleep. I think you're all sneaky.

If I read the roles correctly, shouldn't there be a way to make a somewhat safe reveal of some kind? Auresae wouldn't lose the shot if Severn protects the target, meaning we'd still have two kills outside the general day lynchings.

• Watch the thread for 2 hours after I get home, 3 posts. Wake up, 21 new posts. Ughhhh.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Demarcus
    Yes @Teani, but that protection isn't set until tonight.

@Draiman - they are all short posts and we've not really gotten anywhere yet, I don't see why you are upset.
  • I'm with @Piper and co. so far - just holding my vote until someone jumps out as being a bit more sneaky as opposed to randomly plucking names out to get things going.
    I haven't played Mafia in a while, so if there are newer strategies we try to encourage I've been a bit out of the loop. I rescind my vote, for now.

Unvote: Llok

(And yes, even removing my name from a random list makes it still random. That's not how statistics works.)