Statpacks!

edited November 2013 in Aetolia Development
Greetings, everyone!

I'm here to bring a bit of a teaser your way, as a consideration for the effort we've seen in the Great Hunt so far. Hopefully everyone is enjoying their holiday break while earning themselves a few credits. I hope that's the case, because at the end of this Great Hunt, we are happy to announce that we will be implementing a long needed and much awaited revamp: Statpacks!

Shortly after the Great Hunt has concluded, we will be releasing a sweeping change to our current statpack system. We are refining the final details for this release, so I will not be sharing the exact numbers or statpacks involved. However, there are several important details you may be keen to know:

- All statpacks have been retooled and balanced against one another using a weighted formula. This means some of the outlier statpacks that were a bit too strong have been reined in, while the unlikely choices have received a few bonuses to make them worthwhile.

- Endgame statpacks have been merged into the pre-endgame statpacks. The jump in strength and general tankiness from levels 98 to 99 presented a goal that became an unwritten requirement for PK and a large amount of content as a whole. We would prefer a slope towards this goal, with a gradual increase in benefits rather than a sudden jump. This does mean that, on average, statpacks will be slightly stronger. To that end:

- Instead of endgame statpacks, beginning at level 80, players will be able to customize their statpacks with the use of 'enhancements'. Each enhancement may be used to increase a base stat, add a level of resistance, or even increase balance or equilibrium speed. You may only take a specific enhancement once, and each enhancement falls into a group of enhancements that may have further restrictions (for instance, you are unable to enhance your equilibrium speed if you have already chosen balance). You will generate your first enhancement point at level 80, with additional points being earned periodically up until 100.

- Because of this enhancement system, I'm pleased to announce that we will finally be offering post-100 cumulative enhancements! Every ten levels beyond 100, you will be able to further bolster your character's statistics with a different set of enhancements. While much more minor in comparison, these enhancements also include some unique choices unavailable to pre-endgame. Skill points will still be generated separately.

- When you reincarnate, you will be able to specify your enhancements anew. We will also allow for the storage of enhancement sets, to allow for ease of setting when swapping between statpacks.

- Finally, and this is important: we have removed statpack modifiers for balance and equilibrium. This means you will only be able to bolster your balance and equilibrium by a single level, and only with enhancements. We will be slowing all curative balances proportionally to account for this, resulting in combat speed being slowed by roughly 7%. We will be carefully watching the changes and implications from this, and further adjusting combat speed at a later date. Of course, things such as passive attacks and entities will need specific attention, so expect further tweaks to come.

Details and specifics will be forthcoming very soon, so keep an eye out - and give our current statpack system a last hurrah by hunting!
HaernPiperAishiaAlexinaIrruelMastema

Comments

• PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Dayum! Gonna make things more interesting, I can't wait!
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    edited November 2013

Questions:

• Any chance of instead of 'every 10 levels' tying in havens points? Some of us are stockpiling them. (or the ability to buy additional enhancements with points?)
    • I assume there will be a grace period for players to mess with the statpacks with free reincarnations? (doesn't affect me, but I'm  sure others are curious)
    • You said you're slowing all curative balances - what about all the passive cures in the game?  If you leave their ticks alone, those classes will now be that much more resistant to afflictions.
    • In a similar vein, will healing skills with a cooldown (bloodboil , as an example) also have their CD extended?

I think that's all for now.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• Daskalos said:

Questions:

• Any chance of instead of 'every 10 levels' tying in havens points? Some of us are stockpiling them. (or the ability to buy additional enhancements with points?)
    • I assume there will be a grace period for players to mess with the statpacks with free reincarnations? (doesn't affect me, but I'm  sure others are curious)
    • You said you're slowing all curative balances - what about all the passive cures in the game?  If you leave their ticks alone, those classes will now be that much more resistant to afflictions.
    • In a similar vein, will healing skills with a cooldown (bloodboil , as an example) also have their CD extended?

I think that's all for now.

You will not be able to convert haven points to enhancements at this point. We have other considerations for haven points in the future.

It's very likely that there will be a grace period for trying out statpacks. We'll have more details on that when the release happens.

We'll be looking at all passive cures and cooldowns and adjusting as necessary. Liaisons have been testing some of these changes for awhile.
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Anything that makes characters more customizable is a good thing. I do wonder though: the current Experienced statpack offers level 3 experience gain bonus. At higher levels, experience required per level really starts to pile up. Did I read this post correclty that I will only be able to pick one level of xpgain bonus for my new statpack (you could only pick bonuses once)?

Won't people end up dumping the useless stats (dex for all classes, str for casters/syssin)  in favour of stacking other power enhancements instead? Dexterity in particular seems like the least useful stat (+1% avoidance chance per point), so it would be awesome if the dexterity stat had some secondary useful property that people would benefit from immediately and in a tangible way -  base crit chance, base movement speed (high dex statpack would include a 'celerity' type of effect), or just adding more attacks that scales with dexterity instead of strength.

Oh. Is there any point in offering suggestions at all or is the system set in stone? There's some other things related to stats I've been thinking about. Like, do we -really- need willpower and endurance pools?

Will we be getting more races/endgame races?
  • Alexina said:
    Anything that makes characters more customizable is a good thing. I do wonder though: the current Experienced statpack offers level 3 experience gain bonus. At higher levels, experience required per level really starts to pile up. Did I read this post correclty that I will only be able to pick one level of xpgain bonus for my new statpack (you could only pick bonuses once)?

Won't people end up dumping the useless stats (dex for all classes, str for casters/syssin)  in favour of stacking other power enhancements instead? Dexterity in particular seems like the least useful stat (+1% avoidance chance per point), so it would be awesome if the dexterity stat had some secondary useful property that people would benefit from immediately and in a tangible way -  base crit chance, base movement speed (high dex statpack would include a 'celerity' type of effect), or just adding more attacks that scales with dexterity instead of strength.

Oh. Is there any point in offering suggestions at all or is the system set in stone? There's some other things related to stats I've been thinking about. Like, do we -really- need willpower and endurance pools?

I can tell you that the stuff we've been testing with had hard caps on how much you could put into each stat and that you couldn't buff a single stat more than once. As a result you won't see people piling all their stuff into one stat or another.

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Alexina said:

It'd be pretty awesome if we could essentially "create" our own race, either for a ton of haven points or by reaching some high-off goal, like level 150 or 175. Idreth kinda already create a precedent for Aetolians being able to do this. With generic combat messages, this actually would not be a headache to fight against, since you could just tag a generic line for shift/reconstitute/equivalents (eg "So-and-so uses Endgame Swap." or whatever). Using the customization system, you could then submit:
    - race name
    - shift/reconstitute message
    - language name and 3rd person message to those who are untrained when you speak it (eg how Azudim sounds like a series of harsh intonations)

Seems like it wouldn't be that insane to code and it would add some awesome post-100 goals for RP/flavor, with a sanity check in place via the customization system. Or it could be way too special snowflake and this is the bashing burnout talking. >_<
    Lin
  • I still want order-related endgame races :(

PiperArbreTeani
  • Xavin said:
    I still want order-related endgame races :(
    Then if you switch orders?? your stuck in the wrong 'endgame race'

• If you switch orders, it should turn you tekal again, yes.

• SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    If this is coming soon, would anyone who recently did a reincarnate via artifact be able to get a refund of said artifact cost?

• edited November 2013
    The dexterity question is probably an important one. Under the current system, choosing high dexterity over strength is accompanied by a balance bonus.

Without a balance bonus, there would need to be a particularly good reason to choose a dexterity statpack instead of  a strength one. There are a handful of abilities in the game that scale to dex, but perhaps not enough to keep these packs popular?
  • The classes that use dex as a primary stat for dealing damage will have reason to choose a high dex statpack.

edited November 2013
    Eh, I don't know. Bonedagger (from what I was told) was specifically turned into a dex-based attack because tarot uses balance and decay was utterly horrible in the dexterous statpack. It was a work-around that seems redundant if you can now get +bal on any stat pool (it's a magic/summoner class, not a rogue/ninja class) but I suppose it'll stay the same anyway. Syssin venom also scales to dex but the stat itself gives such a small bonus to avoidance and camus/arrows aren't used enough, meaning that you might just be better off for int/con in PK (for survivability and mana pool to avoid annihilation) and str/con for bashing (garrote seems like the better bashing attack and con for survivability).

I might have overlooked something and my knowledge of those particular classes aren't all that extensive anyway.
  • Dex helps avoidance noticeably, which brings up an interesting option: do you go con to endure hits, or dex to dodge and keep physical aff classes behind? I'd prefer straight con for non-physical classes, and dex for things like monk/syssin/lycan/etc. So, there'll be at least some more interesting strategy to it, and with infinite reincarnations due to my gem, that'll be neat.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Dex does not help avoidance noticeably. With our current statpacks, you get a 1-2% higher avoidance rating as dexterous. Now, if you are going to reincarnate between every enemy, there might be times when higher dexterity is better than constitution, mana, or strength. I still rank it pretty much as the most useless stat in the game at the moment.
  • As it stands, we have no plans to make dexterity have a greater impact. That being said, classes that rely on dexterity as a primary stat can expect that to remain the case, and we're looking to expand the dexterity stat's application on a class-by-class basis.

In addition, endgame statpacks' weighted totals under our equations were obviously much higher than the others, so they have lost quite a bit of their 'all-around' high stats. No stat drops below 11 in our current setup, but those statpacks with 15-16 in one stat will have significantly lower scores to their other stats. This effectively means you'll notice quite a bit of a variation in dodge amounts, because the penalty below 13 dexterity is double the benefit above it.

It's also worth noting that the statpacks that have dexterity as the 'primary' stat do not possess any significant resistance maluses, which other statpacks that emphasize a single stat may.

So overall there's going to be a massive reduction in the total stat pool of the classes?

"If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    How will this play in with the adaption artifact?  Will we be reset again each statpack change and able to choose what we want?

also with the 7% slow down on curing, will this affect the crown that gives a 7% eq boost?
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Macavity said:
    How will this play in with the adaption artifact?  Will we be reset again each statpack change and able to choose what we want?
    Yes. This is where those saveable enhancement sets are especially useful.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • The equilibrium crown is not being changed at this time.

There will be an overall reduction in total stats, yes. A lot of this comes from instances where the non-'primary' stats in a statpack are lower than you would find versus a current endgame statpack: if a statpack is designed to maximize intelligence, for instance, strength will likely be significantly lower. There are some statpacks designed to be 'all-around' choices, and their base stats are more evenly spread as a result.
    Irruel
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Any chance we could have ENHANCE show the different syntaxes like it would with DESIGN, rather than being the same as ENHANCEMENTS? 
    Arbre
  • Areka said:
    Any chance we could have ENHANCE show the different syntaxes like it would with DESIGN, rather than being the same as ENHANCEMENTS? 
    A helpfile detailing the syntaxes and available enhancements would be nice too.

• RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal

Areka said:
    Done.
    ArekaArbre
  • Areka said:
    Any chance we could have ENHANCE

ArekaIsonXavinTragerPeriluna
    This is just an assumption I've made, but each level of experience gain is ten percent, right? Could this information (whatever the percentage might be) be added to the helpfile?
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    @Razmael is there a reason why the bleeding rune was deleted??  I do not see a reason being given in the announce post and I am curious on the thought process on that move.  thanks!
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    Riluo
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited December 2013

Agreed, as nice as it was to gain bound credits back I am somewhat confused also as to why it was removed?

On a side note, love the stat changes.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• Probably because it didn't particularly add that much as an artifact other than causing balance issues with scythe and scimitar users. There might be problems with new Sentinels as well regarding the rune.

So I guess rather than disallowing it for certain circumstances, it was smarter to just outright remove it.
    IlyonEzalor
    Serration going away is a good thing. It causes issues all over the place, just was never really utilized. If you fought me and I ran my bleed mana route on you, you died. Simple as that. Serration made that possible.

• RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    I only got it before I went overseas so I was a bit shocked, but harm no foul.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."