Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Ah missed the summary part. Yeah, that'd be nice. Atm, I just wrote a big script to store ylem tallies since uhh forever and I know some people have similar things, but those aren't super sustainable or easy.
    So, this was the last Spirean quota:

Quota for the City of Spinesreach
    ---------------------------------
    Red              640 / 550
    Green            646 / 450
    Blue             443 / 350
    Yellow           372 / 250
    White             98 / 100
    ---------------------------------

With us already this far over, I then had to kill nearly 50 more eld before I got those TWO white mists. Now, I know the arti-goggles are supposed to help with that, but they are priced way too high to be worth it. The quota is a great idea, but the lack of a way to track it effectively means it's very hard for cities to reward participation, so the average person doesn't care if the quota is met or not. The gold rewarded is a paltry amount, so cities don't really care that much either. The biggest motivation to get a new quota is to cycle to the amulet you're missing. For the most part, quotas are kinda just extra stuff, without much thought involved.

The quota could fairly easily be made a lot more engaging and give the research minister more to do - with everything unlocked, there really isn't much for the ministers to do these days except to take notes.

A whole bunch of random quota ideas:

- Let excess mists cycle over.
    - Let ministers elect to end a quota prematurely for a reduced reward. Bit of option-weighing introduced here.
    - Display a PAST term's quota contributions, so cities can more effectively fold in rewards.
    - Reduce the cost for the arti goggles OR give a chance for "double mists" to appear when wearing them.
    - Have the quota reward scale based on how quickly the quota is achieved. Blitzing a quota would reward a big chunk of gold.

If you really wanted to introduce some cool stuff to make research more engaging:

- Reward "research points" for quota turn-ins. Maybe have the speed of quota completion affect the number of points you get. Maybe let cities trade ylem from the pylon for research points, too. 
    -----> Research points could then be used to temporarily unlock things for your city (maybe for an IG year or whatever). The pool of choices could even rotate based on the quota, just like items do, creating a sustainable way for admin to introduce small but cool changes and options.
    -----> Example unlocks: a new arena mod (capture the core!), an xp gain buff, damage resist buff, portal to Delve, special type of mount for sale, unique minipet for sale, "stronger" ylem shards (eg icons/erection are reduced in price, vigor/ouabin/acropocucucucustic/crystals create 2x the amount), hiring the bards from the festival of stars to chill at your city's pylon, etc I'm just giving random ideas.
    LinHaven
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited November 2013
    Ugh, please no more fracture farming for mists. If we're going to have awesome stuffs, add it to some other system than the mists turnin.

:(
    edited November 2013
    Well that's why I said let cities also spend ylem in their pylon on research points. It'd be a way to unify both systems. Right now, mists are kinda related conceptually, but aside from killing elds, there isn't much mechanical connection. Tying ylem and mists together under that umbrella would let cities focus on avenues that work best for them, which would give people MORE ways to engage on a deeper level, and a range of strengths could benefit an org, vs the heavy emphasis on lessers/minors we have atm. It'd also make ylem a bit more meaningful and cut into these huge stockpiles we all have.

The nicest part imho is that it'd be a semi-decently-sized addition of choice/activity for the research ministry and cities, without tossing in a ton more mechanics. Expanding it out would be as simple as giving people areas with more elds to bash or quests that reward ylem/mists/points. The potential for fun variety and shiny new stuff would constantly be there, in the choices for upgrades, which could be added in at leisure. 

Making ylem itself more valuable would also mean that admin could throw out sizeable chunks of ylem to cities as rewards for contests, or even base future conflict mechanics around gambling/siphoning pylon ylem (hello, new raiding design). ATM, centering conflict around that really isn't very interesting, as ylem isn't NEEDED. I know Spines could go over 3 months without getting a single bit of ylem before we'd start to see our trees in trouble.

I mean, this is just one idea of a way to make ylem relevant. I think it really does need to be done, in some fashion or another, however, to make conflict meaningful. Ylem's become the new basis for conflict and struggle, but it's not actually scarce, something we pointed out would happen within a month of the system being introduced. You could just tack on decay to pylon ylem, but that makes the system grindy and tiring, forcing you to tread water to stay at the status quo - I, personally, like the idea of optional expenditures, as I think it introduces a more complex role for cities/research ministers and gives people fun and positive stuff, while also tackling the issue of the ylem surplus.
    Haven
  • I think the whole 'able to go long times without gathering' is universal across all four cities at the moment. Duiran could likely go the better part of a year at this point with 0 ylem income.

Moirean
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Can corpse_store be an addable power to existing arties? I don't like wearing 1 million things
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    edited November 2013
    Does the +xpgain artie help with golems? If not, can it please? I regrettably understand why chalices and things don't, but the full artie power should.

Edit: Also, could ESCAPE be lowered in the Animation skillset? >> It's really tedious leveling golems. :( 
    Alexina
    I thought golems' experience gain was based on your own. Is this not the case?
    Kind of. It doesn't gain xp when you're leeching, it's based off of what you kill, and apparently the base number, not modified number through xp bonuses. 
    Oh. I always assumed that bonuses would apply for the golem (elite membership, experienced statpack, chalices, etc).
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    No golem's xp are not affected with any XP boosters to the person.  I have sent a message to @Oleis on suggestions for things in this case.  =)
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Make a Haven storage power, purchased with Haven points, that stops items from decaying like shop storerooms. As of now shops are the only way to store stuff, and not everyone has access to one.
    CiarelleInfin

• Ezalor said:
    Make a Haven storage power, purchased with Haven points, that stops items from decaying like shop storerooms. As of now shops are the only way to store stuff, and not everyone has access to one.
    This can only work if there is a hard limit on how many items can be stored like that. Maybe 50 items?

• Xavin said:

Ezalor said:
    This can only work if there is a hard limit on how many items can be stored like that. Maybe 50 items?
    Make it like 100 items for 10 haven points. Where you can add on to it for more haven points.

• edited November 2013
    Best idea I've thought of this month, DELETE TERADRIM @Ivoln!

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Azton said:

I can't wait for you guys to rage on Sents and Carnifex too. :3
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    SlypheValdusAngwe
  • We should probably just start from scratch on those.

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    At least give me a chance to autobash a few people to death with them first.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Oleis
  • I've been raging about Carnifex since the class came out, @Oleis.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Haven
  • Oleis said:

I can't wait for you guys to rage on Sents and Carnifex too. :3
    Im not raging at the opness.. im raging at the fact YOU cant get promoted! No noviceaides, the ones who do wake don't know what they're doing and no secretaries or GMS unless its like 2/4am my time.. You guy are changing the Lycan classes for similar reason and Tera Need to be the same as its worst

Areka
  • Toz said:
    I've been raging about Carnifex since the class came out, @Oleis.
    And I hear about it once a month or so when we meet for lunch. Don't make it worse. Please.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    That's not ACTUALLY why the guilds are being deleted, despite what we like to say.
  • Quick, let's form a House so we can do another take-over!

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Piper
    I would LOVE to be able to see what messages I have sent and to who, just like our "indox", but a sent box.  I cannot tell you how many times I have sent messages out and totally forgot a few days later that I even sent a message out, or I get a reply from someone that says OK or NO or something that does not give a clue on what the message was sent was about.  
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

ArbreJensen
    @Oleis  for the startchat can we get something that tells us what the starchart is set to and what the negative is??  I keep forgetting what I set it to!  
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Jensen
  • If possible, it'd be wonderful if organ slice buying could be made a bit more intuitive, took about 10 minutes and asking for help before I managed to buy them.
    AlexinaMoireanHadoryu
    The _slice command could probably be done away with, since you can no longer buy full organs. 
    ArbreEzalor
  • And crystals, actually. They don't even show an ID number on wares, just cube_crystal or whatever, and no combination of those words seems to work.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Toz said:
    And crystals, actually. They don't even show an ID number on wares, just cube_crystal or whatever, and no combination of those words seems to work.
    if the crystal was removed from cube then it would cause issues with the cube sigil.  at least I think
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Whole organs still exist in the game, and things like phoenix hearts and bull's eyeballs conflict with organ slices too. I've seen that trip people up, especially since the chest items are usually a lot more expensive (for newbies in particular) than slices.