MAD 2: MADDEN'S MADDENING.

Comments

• I hit a kangaroo last night with my car and mashed the bumper, and to top it off I just haven't been getting any good sleep lately either.

I think I officially hate 2013.
  • @kikon
    Ouch. I almost collected one a few months ago in a work car in the rain. Managed to miss the roo but it took a while to get the car back in a straight line. Sure got my heart thumping.
  • Oh god oh god, you're talking like hitting kangaroos like North Americans talk about hitting deer. I'm not sure how to feel about this. But sorry are you okay @Kikon?

DraimanNolaPerilunaArbreAngwe
  • Don't they hunt them like deer as well?

• A piece of steel pipe weighing around 250-300 lbs. fell 8 ft and used my leg to break its fall. Then bounced and hit my leg again. I doubt it's broken (it's at least not a very bad break if it is) but my work is dicking around and "waiting" to see if I need to go to the Doctor or not.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Draiman said:
    A piece of steel pipe weighing around 250-300 lbs. fell 8 ft and used my leg to break its fall. Then bounced and hit my leg again. I doubt it's broken (it's at least not a very bad break if it is) but my work is dicking around and "waiting" to see if I need to go to the Doctor or not.
    Seriously? Isn't it always better to be safe in situations like that? They should let you have it checked out. In fact, they should make sure someone takes you to the doctor.

I dropped some heavy iron bars on my finger a few years ago (completely crushed it) and my work pals were more worked up about it than I was, at least until the shock faded. At least then there was no doubt whether to go to the hospital or not, but in your case, at least get it checked out.

HavenNolaAryanne
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    ...it really is amazing how health related policies in the work place differ around the country/world.

I remember I had a minor head injury at work a few years ago (different job than I have now) and they all but shoved me into an ambulance.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Aryanne
  • I don't know what they're waiting for or why they're delaying. My dad is my immediate boss, and I'm not in a hurry to sue him or anything, but it's not him wanting to wait. I'm just gonna sit on my ass until Monday, either feign intense pain or be in intense pain and make them take me. I'd like to know what's wrong and I'm not in a hurry to just start walking on it not knowing. I did that with my knees (I swear to God I'm the perfect height to bang them against everything), and now I have no idea if they're messed up or what. Not gonna do that with my leg.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    In HS, a girl dislocated and broke a finger - it was at a terribly bad angle and was like a giant purple sausage. The school nurse offered her some pepto bismol and an ice pack, then sent her back to class. 
  • Areka said:
    In HS, a girl dislocated and broke a finger - it was at a terribly bad angle and was like a giant purple sausage. The school nurse offered her some pepto bismol and an ice pack, then sent her back to class. 
    @ Areka: I did something similar in middle school. Playing football outside before school started, the football itself was partially frozen, stuck my hand out to deflect it, hit my middle finger and it started to swell and turn purple.

Turns out I chipped the bone in my finger and to this day if that chip moves a millimeter or two it will sever something important, but I forget what... but the school was so afraid they'd get sued they paid for it all.
    Haven
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Rashar said:
    Don't they hunt them like deer as well?

More so, I think, though I haven't done any research. Are your deer considered pests? We've got enough roos that it's not just a sport to go out and shoot them, it's called culling and farmers do it all the time.

The problem with roos is what happens if they survive the crash. You hear horror stories about them going through the windscreen and ending up in the car. Still, it could be worse. It could be wombats. They're so dense and have such a low center of gravity that if you hit one it's basically like going over a ramp and you're gonna flip your car.

• Depends on where you live. In some states and during certain portions of the year farmers can basically do the same thing on their own property if the deer are destroying crops. But obviously not all states are the same. I've seen some pretty devastating accidents, though. Worse up in the northeast if you hit a moose, although I can't speak to that personally. 

Also, I want a wombat. 
    Aryanne
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Try hitting a moose, you take out the legs and have a 500-750 lb animal go through the windshield
    Haven
  • In PA they're largely considered a pest animal, but you can only hunt during specific times of year. That said, they'll screw your car right up if you hit them.

Slyphe
  • I don't have enough time to properly rage about the amount of deer in PA. They're absolutely everywhere.

Xavin
  • One once tried to kill me by jumping through the window of the car I was in. It missed, ended up relatively unharmed but oh my god the side of that car.

• AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    In my area, coyote have begun to make a sharp reappearance. Conversely, the plague of deer has lessened.

Strangely enough, there's still a bounty on the coyote, but not the deer. Crazy, no?
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Hehehe I love the word wombat. Woooommmmmmbat.
    SessizlikPeriluna
  • Lost my internet for 8 days straight, just got it back today. No Aetolia, got bored as hell. Unlocked 3 sharks on my kindle game.

Phone stopped working Tuesday. I can get and send texts, but no one can hear me talking. 7 years at least with that ph. I think the poor thing's had it. 

No internet or ability to phone AT THE SAME TIME makes me extremely nervous. And the house is surprisingly creepy when I'm by myself more than 24 hours. And DARK.

My roommate came home yesterday, plugged the router back in. Showoff. I checked it 3 times, I swear. But I have internet back!

In addition, while he was gone, I almost set the microwave on fire, stepped on a tack, locked myself out of the house once, popped my airbed, and discovered I'd thrown out the warranty paperwork when I was cleaning for my mom's visit. Knew I should have taped it to the box!! Then I left my purse at the library and almost ran over Meyvitch. :-(

I'm so cold lately I've been considering an electric blanket, but I'm afraid of it shorting and setting me on fire. I have bad karma lately.

imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    A space heater might be safer.
  • I was out running back in high school along a highly traveled road by humans and deer alike. I heard the telltale sound of hooves striking the ground and stopped, turned to look behind me--didn't see anything and kinda shrugged it off. Took one step forward and six-point buck was airborne in front of me out of the brush, just running across the road as fast as it could. I dunno if it scared me worse than I scared it, because I never cursed so loudly in my life in public and almost fell back into the gully it came out of.
    Jensen

• Xavin said:
    Oh god oh god, you're talking like hitting kangaroos like North Americans talk about hitting deer. I'm not sure how to feel about this. But sorry are you okay @Kikon?
    Luckily it was a small roo and not a huge one. I managed to swerve enough that it mostly glanced, still though :(
  • Right out in far western Australia (8-12 hours east from @kikon) the dead roos lay on the side of the road, at times literally just seconds apart at 110kms/hr (oh alright, 130) - for hours. Trucks don't slow down or dodge them.

They appear out of nowhere at dusk, and in some places there are so many that hitting them isn't bad luck - it's certain. My uncle, a truckie, says that some nights they jump, and others they don't. Maybe it is a moon phase thing, or just something else unknowable.

They jump along really, really fast, and approach the side of the road in the same direction you're driving. Then, just as you about to drive past the roo, it jumps in front as though trying to commit suicide. One of three things happen:

you hit it
    you've slowed down so much that it is easy to miss
    you've hammered the brakes and swerved sharply so as to cross behind it as it jumps across

Fun :(

But I'm still more scared of hitting a camel. I've got a bar on the front of my car for roos. I doubt it would do shit for me if I hit a camel. Wombats - I dunno. I've heard they can roll smaller trucks but I've never seen one on the road.
    Eleanor said:
    . Still, it could be worse. It could be wombats. They're so dense and have such a low center of gravity that if you hit one it's basically like going over a ramp and you're gonna flip your car.
    Badgers are like that. Dense creatures, not too fast, but hard to notice. We have plenty of them in Sweden and they can completely wreck a car if you hit one. Drive shaft, suspension, everything can get screwed up even if you just think you touched it with one wheel.

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    image My old truck was an animal killer 6000
    DraimanAryannePeriluna
  • edited November 2013
    Teani said:
    Eleanor said:
    . Still, it could be worse. It could be wombats. They're so dense and have such a low center of gravity that if you hit one it's basically like going over a ramp and you're gonna flip your car.
    Badgers are like that. Dense creatures, not too fast, but hard to notice. We have plenty of them in Sweden and they can completely wreck a car if you hit one. Drive shaft, suspension, everything can get screwed up even if you just think you touched it with one wheel.
    I'M XAVIN AND I'M WARNING YOU THAT THERE'S POOPY LANGUAGE IN THIS VIDEO.

?

We don't have honey badgers in Sweden. Our badgers are a bigger breed and yeah, badgers are fearless creatures. I've always been told that if I'm out in the forest, I should have a dry twig in my boot, in case a badger attacks. They'll bite until they hear the bone break, then let go and run, so you can't run after them.

Aryanne
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    That is messed up.
    NolaArbrePeriluna
  • edited November 2013
    Today we found out that my partner's employer is firing all of their 800 employees and shutting down all of their stores by December 31st. They wanted to do it quietly and quickly so they don't have to pay their employee's vacations. They refuse to take our phone calls or talk about it to the press. They won't tell Collin when his store is going to close. All we know is that he has to get another job as soon as possible. Turns out it's illegal to shut down a store without warning their employees 30 days out. Since he found out through his step dad who heard about it from the owner's wife and the warning is unofficial, it's illegal. I'm already talking to the department of labor and the food stamp office. We're both pretty raged up at the moment

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

Meyvitch
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Wow.  That's pretty [censored]y.
    AngwePerilunaValenaeAryanne