Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• I don't know how it would work but I'd really love it if there was a way to check the results of events that had just finished, perhaps within the last day. Some fancy new command, or even a noticeboard in Delos would be great. 

(Alternatively, if there's some fancy command already that I and everyone I've asked since the year 400 events are missing, please tell me?)
  • You might be thinking about EVENTS and then EVENTS INFO (number) ? Although that does not necessarily tell what happened, it is only sort of a schedule to check. So I am afraid I can only half-answer you there.

• MaghakMaghak The heights of Stormcaller Crag
    Phoenecia said:
    I know the gardening pots and planters JUST came out, but already I'm kind of noticing that they're really high maintenance, especially for the plants that keep growing even after you harvest them such as the oranges and roses. It's awesome that they grow so quickly (roughly 5-10 minutes from when you plant the seeds to when they're fully matured and harvestable), but it sucks to have to keep watering them literally every minute or every two minutes or else they die. Maybe increase the water capacity on the pots and planters so we don't have to drop everything every few minutes to grab water to water the plants? I know some people would love to buy the gardening stuff to decorate their houses or havens with, but as it is, it'd probably be impossible for them to grow anything unless they set aside time just for growing stuff.
    There should be a six to eight hour delay on plant growth, with water being drawn once an hour. If this isn't the case, please make a bug report.
  • @Ferrik - right, along those lines, but with the basic results. Today, for instance, there was the Delosian Duel - I missed it and I have no idea who won it. I'll probably find out eventually if I ask around but since the planning for the event etc. warrants a big announcement, it would be nice to have a nifty little command to just check the results quickly.
    Haven
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    For the shock sigil artifact, currently articalling it recalls only the sigil and not anything it's attached to. It would be much more worthwhile if it recalled the item it was attached to as well (like how weapon runes currently function).
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    That sounds like it could be really exploitable.
  • This might just be a crazy idea and I bet some people might absolutely hate my guts for even suggesting this but:
    How about introducing a special arena event or 'mod' if you will, that would disable artifacts? (Aside from pipes and vials perhaps?)
    (A 'mod' would probably work better so long as it would clearly prefix or suffix the event to denote it)

That would pave the way for some of the things I have noticed people whi- asking for, while still leaving it as an option for those interested. I think, it would not be a bad idea to try and maybe some of the 'bigger' people could even see the merit mentioned by some (i.e. it is about skill, not wallet size) and introduce a new element or challenge to arena events for all.

The key here is that it does not necessarily have to effect everything, but that it is optional!

I would maybe run some set of surprise test rounds in Delos at various times, see how people react and if they like it then they can buy it or obtain it for each city arena too.

Some kudos here to the people who have talked about this recently and inadvertently made this idea slowly grow in the back of my mind.

PiperTeaniAngweAarbrok
  • lol do what Ferrik?

People fight without artifacts?

What a joker.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• While I see where the merit is in this, how would it be factored in to work?

Example:
    I have a super ring with my major stat powers, but I also have utility artifacts, pipes, vials, weaponbelt, tattoos. If I go into an Arena with a negation on artis..suddenly I can't do diddly squat. This means I have to have another set of non-artifact things just for those events.

This should be more player based, 'Such and such event, where statistic altering artifacts are discouraged. Those found to be dishonorable are disqualified from prizes.'

Sure a mod could be made to say 'Negates Str/Dex/Con/Int/Enhance/Sip bonus' But then where is the line drawn when it comes to utility artifacts? Artifact quivers, packs, armor/shields, things that don't directly impact damage output, but without make the person lacking in necessary equipment. (Shields obviously do affect)
  • Do think he means offensive arties such as stuff which increase your protection/strength/con/runes and sip bonus etc

So stuff like Stability/pipes/vials/quiver or Ultility Artifacts are fine since these stuff works the same if you use the none artifact version, stability can be stripped, pipes empty, vials empty and im sure quivers cant decay in the 30ish mins the event is held for :P

Basically to put everyone on PAR instead of relying on artifacts like most the people in this game does when it comes to combat

FerrikPiper
  • I completely agree with Ferrik's (and many others) idea to make it into an optional arena mod. I have artifacts to help me with others artifacts (Con and Enhance really)
    It'd bring a whole new dimension to pk in a safe and controlled environment to help people with their tactics and finesse rather than just have a hard hitting system reliant on artifacts!

FerrikRou
  • The issue with artifacts is largely damage-scaling related. It's going to be addressed very soon from what the Liaisons have been told. I can't really say much more because....well, that's for the admin to do.

• Can we please get guild casks and guild shop shelves
    1) Enorian declares war on Bloodloch, because Ellenia said Dato was a smelly butt face.
    ArbreCiarelleAngwe
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited November 2013
    I realize I'm a bit late to the discussion, but there has already been a lot of artifact nerfs over the last few years (no artifact armours anymore, amulets reduced the gap between artifacted and non-artifacted people, magic potence no longer works for singularities/holocausts, etcetera).

Anyway, artifacts is pretty much the only way after endgame to really work on improving your character; to ban them from participation/rewards in events (arena events, weekly experience challenges, great hunts, whatever) would feel like a huge slap in the face. Artifacts did not miraculously fall down from the sky into the hands of a lucky few people. I know I worked hard for mine. Artifacts are meant to provide a significant boon to a character. If you want artifacts to give a maximum of 50 extra damage on your main damaging attack, then reduce their cost to 150-200 credits instead of 1500-2500. I do not see why a character with the full artifact set should not be able to kill a character without any artifacts at all via pure damage.

So... If you want to have a perfectly sterile environment where only skills matter, delete all classes, disable survival/vision/miniskills/avoidance, and let people kill each other with weaponry attacks and envenom. In any other scenarios, some people will always have an unfair advantage.
    DaskalosHadoryu
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    I agree with Alexina, and not to try to sound like a dick, though it's going to sound this way: those of us with artifacts paid money to gain the advantages we have. IRE used that money to help fund the game. Why should we then be denied access to that advantage so that those who have not helped fund the game can be on a level playing field?

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Having the option to even the playing field would be interesting. 

Yes, people who buy artifacts help fund the game, but with how disparaging those artifacts can be in competitions, having the -option- would provide some other avenues, rather than a 'pay to win' on all fronts. 

I don't think this needs to be made a bigger deal than it is, outside of creating more options, especially when many of us are simply not able to financially contribute in the same way, due to varying life circumstances. Just as folks with the sizeable credit card may feel put out or slapped in the face for having their investment disabled in an arena match, many others feel doubly slapped in the face due to RL things and not being able to compete in the financial sphere, be it in auctions or the arena. 
    SessizlikAngweFerrikErzsebet
  • Both of you misread what was being asked, IT was asking for a ARENA MOD to disable artifacts, If you cant handle a quick arena fight then don't join that arena event when the mod is active!

"How about introducing a special arena event or 'mod' if you will, that would disable artifacts? (Aside from pipes and vials perhaps?)"

So when in an Arena event people who dont have arties are more of an Equal base and wont be autobashed to death.. This might be useful for City Events so you can see who in your city has the most skill instead of who has the most artifacts...

Ferrik
    edited November 2013

Rou said:
    Personally, I would love it if we established a culture where during arena events and/or duels artifacts were discouraged. Outside of these circumstances, of course, it's a different deal.
    I agree with this, as another vanilla player (no stat/sip/enhance or combat artis), but moreso with special events, like the year 400 stuff, Delosian Brawls, etc. I think those sort of events ought to be fair for all players.

Welp. I just realized I was posting in the wrong thread. Why do we even have two threads going on about how unfair it is for people with artifacts? I still think it's sort of uncool to make the assumption that the people with artifacts do not 'deserve' to have them during events and whatnot because that would make them 'less skilled'. That would be like saying 'let's disable endgame statpacks/bonuses during events because it is unfair that those with more time than me can beat me -- we want a level playing field where the only deciding factor is skill'.

I'll end the derail now even though this particular topic really gets me riled up.

^_^

EDIT:
    Maybe some mod could fuse these posts and the ones in the RAGE thread into a thread of its own?
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I wonder if each class could get a new (and stronger) attack that only affects mobs and is only reached at trans or tritrans. Would give everyone better hunting without screwing pk balance. Would be nice since most endgame hunting didn't exist when current attacks were made
    I personally think that any given class's main bashing attack should be in their primary skillset at a low enough level that novices can access it.
  • edited November 2013
    As an aside to the 'big wallet/credit card' ranting for Arti-whores..

I consider myself an arti-whore at this point, I have 2 level 3 stat boosts, level 3 sip, artifact weapon runes, lots of utility thingamajiggers and many other things. However, in total to how much I've actually -spent- of RL money, besides the couple of months I did the Membership..$250 maybe? Over the course of playing for nearly 10 years? And majority of that money went to a character I hardly play anymore.

I work my butt off IG to get credits/gold to get artifacts. And I have a full-time 85+ hour a week job. Gained a lot of that while doing school and job too. I have a social life too (gasp), so it does make me rage-ahol when people always refer to it being unfair with people with big credit cards and whatnot. There's only what..two people that fit that description?

This is why the arena mod bit is a bit annoying to me. I like it in premise, but if it were to be used in full-on events such as ones with credit prizes or event prizes (merits/star tickets what have you) I'd feel a bit miffed. Much like a lot of us are annoying that the ylem amulets can't stack with artifacts. That still bugs me.

End derail since this isn't the right thread. I blame Alexina.

Edit: Realized this was the AINT NO COMBAT THREAD, so moving my ideas to that thread.
    Hadoryu
    All classes already have that, the power attack would be so all classes could stand a chance at end game hunting and fame kill mobs that auto heal. Novices and low levels don't encounter either problems
    Jensen said:
    All classes already have that, the power attack would be so all classes could stand a chance at end game hunting and fame kill mobs that auto heal. Novices and low levels don't encounter either problems
    Well, plenty of people have already killed those fame mobs with the current bashing attacks. Giving all people a bashing boost across the board because an honour mob is a bit tough seems like you'll just create new problems (most bashing zones are already pretty crowded, would just get worse if everyone started bashing even faster). Easier solution seems like submitting an idea to nerf the honours mob.
    Not really what I'm going for. Just sucks to be either a low damage but high aff class and go try to hunt, or be a combo attack class and try to kill fame mobs that heal per hit. This idea was more directed at the BB who had trouble hunting because of frenzies low damage. There's no good way to amend that without affecting pk. Also, anything that would make hunting more popular isnt a negative thing.
  • Jensen said:
    Not really what I'm going for. Just sucks to be either a low damage but high aff class and go try to hunt, or be a combo attack class and try to kill fame mobs that heal per hit. This idea was more directed at the BB who had trouble hunting because of frenzies low damage. There's no good way to amend that without affecting pk. Also, anything that would make hunting more popular isnt a negative thing.
    Sure, damage is low. But Bloodborn have some of the best damage mitigation/active healing in the game. It's a trade off.

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    If we want to increase a class's bashing damage without affecting their PK balance, we can do exactly that without adding any new skills.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Jensen
  • Carnifex, please. It's hilariously awful until trans.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

MoireanRivas
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I have Arbre super-involved in Duiran.  I have an alt in Bloodloch.  Is it appropriate for my alt to also do ylem/mists?  Where is the limit when it comes to seconds working for opposing cities?
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Seeing as they aren't helping each other by competing, I don't think that should be an issue. 
  • SO back to an IDEA.. Since people carry 2/3 starburst Can we please get a 4/5 second balance time on touching starburst?

As autotouching starburst on any death is super lame since rebirth/carnifex thing, soulcage all have a cool down of 15 mins but if you have 3 starburst you can auto touch without any draw backs but lost of defs....