[Fixed] Shaman bug - boost causing energy decay

edited October 2013 in Sparring Grounds
This is a bug with the core mechanic of the class. It cripples any strategy involving using boost more than just occasionally. Many don't see it because the primary strategy used by most (Illidan's suggestion in the Shaman class guide) revolves around using quicken rather than boost.

This bug is 100% reproducible and repeatable.

I've bugged it with a log, and received some second-hand feedback on it, which makes me believe that either my understanding of the class mechanic is wrong, or I have not explained it well enough in my bug. The response was something along the lines of "in the log you boosted twice in a row and used lightning a lot." But as I said, and I am repeating this as a disclaimer, the response was not to me directly, nor was it in writing as a comment on the bug, so it could just be a miscommunication.

So!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28362280/09.25pm - 22-10-2013.html

The log is above. In the log, "boostlight" is the name of the alias I created to demonstrate this bug, while "boost" and "lightning" are the two abilities that the alias uses. The red integer between 0 and 5 at the end of my prompt is displaying my energy level.
  1. Using lightning builds a point of energy.
  2. Not using lightning (or another primality ability) for a certain amount of time, starts a process where energy begins to dissipate passively over time. The period of time changes, but is usually 7-10 seconds of no action.
  3. Boost actively consumes a point of energy, and makes the next primality attack stronger.
  4. It also, and this is the bug, makes the next primality attack NOT reset that countdown which leads toward energy decay.
  5. Additionally, the energy decay begun by using boost does not register as normal energy decay; if I then stop using normal un-boosted lightning, energy will begin to decay 2 points at a time.

All of that is in the above log. I'm posting this here because I can format it better and hopefully this will help one of the devs understand the bug better. It might also be nice if others chime in and have anything extra to offer, or suggest other tests. I have reproduced the bug with the alias modified to begin boosting at 4 energy and not 5, for example, as someone had suggested that it seemed to have something to do with boosting at max energy.

Edit: This is the alias script which reproduces the bug. Just run this alias over and over. The script is mudlet-lua.

local e = tonumber(gmcp.Char.Vitals.energy)
if e == 5 then send("commune boost") end
send("commune lightning me")

Comments

• This is getting ridiculous...

6050|6282 0 100|99 [eb lr csdb] 3
    Your natural energy slowly disperses.
    Crackling violently, radiant lightning coalesces rapidly within your palm. With a sudden forward
    thrust of your hand, an arc of electricity strikes yourself.
    Equilibrium Used: 3.22 seconds
    5238|6207 0 100|99 [-b lr csdb] 3 (-812h (electrical), -75m, -30w)q boostlight

[Tripwire]: Info: 'boostlight' added to queue
    5238|6207 0 100|99 [-b lr csdb] 3
    Your natural energy disperses completely.

5238|6207 0 100|99 [-b lr csdb] 0 (-3energy)
  • You guys are the best (aka woo, it's fixed!)
    Angwe