The Aetolian Confessionals

Comments

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

We're going to hold off on the next one and re-evaluate how to

Eleanor said:
    Teani said:
    - I dislike (that's an understatement) the lack of respect and awe some people show towards the Divine ICly. Even if your character has a dispute with one of the Divine it does not mean that you should treat them as you would any other mortal character. They're supposed to be above the rest. Show respect, begrudgingly or perhaps somewhat defiantly, but keep it real.
    Some mortals honestly believe that the line between a petty, squalling God and your average fairly powerful mortal is ridiculously fine. It's perfectly in-character for some people to not respect the Godlings.
    Daskalos respects the power of the gods, but doesn't believe them to be superior in any way. He was told, as Auresae's Vessel, that he must be ready to assume the  spirit of Fire at any time if anything happened to the current Vessel. He's seen too many gods created out of mortal aspects. He views deities as 'the next step' in the evolution but in no way infallible.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I'm aware that some characters have reasons, and some play this out in a very good way. I was more referring to those characters who don't play their roles properly, but ok.

HavenAryanne
  • In much the same way that a non-fighting character should have a healthy respect for a very adept fighter that can break them in two without breaking a sweat, mortals -should- have some level of respect for the Divine. If for no other reason than they can make mortal-paste out of us with a thought. That's a power even shiny ascended folks don't have. That doesn't mean that we have to kow-tow them, just, yanno, keep that in mind when we interact. 

Our Gods may have complex personalities, but they can still really, really screw up your day.

I'm with Teani on finding the shouts, insults, and general rude behavior obnoxious. You can disagree with a Divine and demonstrate that in far more interesting ways then acting like a 12 year old in the lunchroom.
    imageimage
    TeaniHavenEzalorAryanne
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I used to be a lot bitchier to the gods (sorry Omei), but I've found it's been a lot more fun since my return to mix the rebellion with a healthy dose of fear, wariness and respect for their power. Even to Iosyne (or maybe ESPECIALLY to Iosyne), Moi's own patron, there's fear and trepidation. Severn also straight up scares Moi, even when she's discussing city patron stuff with him. >_<

My tangential confession (to stay on topic): I find punishments from the divine usually more interesting and engaging than boring old pats on the back. 
  • Lleis was a dirty baby-snatching poo-poo head. >:|
    Ivoln
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Teani said:
    those characters who don't play their roles properly
    This perplexes me. Is there a script somewhere that says how each person should play their character?

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Not scripts, but there are certainly archetypes/defined roles that are often not done well. 

There are many types of characters and roles, but I know I at least get particularly murfed when archetypal roles are only half-played, or when they're waved as a banner piece but the character/person doesn't actually live into it (see the honourable knight of truth that's a manipulative little unicorn - while still pretending they're pure, or the evil domineering vampire elder who really just wants to boff novices and wear pretty dresses. Now, this could be an interesting plot device/character, but I find it personally infuriating when the true nature of the character is blatantly denied (especially denied OOC - many of those 'character breakdowns' are far off from the active character vs the conceptual/idealized one), despite all of their actions and choices. This is especially frustrating because it robs many potential interactions). 

And that's my confession. That is a huge pet peeve.
    Teani
    Or those who break role completely for no real reason other than because they have some form of OOC dislike for the person they believe might be behind the Divine character. Or if they're upset with liaisons and decide Divine suck because they can't fix the game fast enough, their characters go and be disrespectful to Divine just because (without no IC interaction to back it up).

• There's a degree of respect that has to be there, I agree. Though I've been tempted on several occasions to just qq mid RP because things are being handled poorly and it's infuriating to not be able to do anything about it. So I can definitely understand the temptation.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Erzsebet
  • Honestly even if it's the understanding that the divine could go ahead and take out not just the character themselves but others around them in a rather messy shotgun pattern that's keeping the fear, or at least begrudging respect, in place.

I feel like people don't take into account the fact that admin characters have a role too, and their role gives them a lot of freedom to mess up your character's day, though they tend to -not- do that.

• I have very much abused or wasted in a previous game, the power of knowing or speaking to a Divine OOC.

For that reason, and to try and keep immersion true, I distinctly avoid it to a high level - interacting with them in character.  Even if I don't know of any of them outside of the game.  I suppose that could limit interactions to a degree, and I am sure some of that is guilt over how I previously acted in other games, but it makes me happy to steer clear.
    Aryanne
  • PRAISE THE EARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Ivoln
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I sometimes try to 'agree' or 'like' my own post...

...actually, I do it fairly often.
    DraimanArbreAryanne
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    edited November 2013
    I have a number of alts on a number of email addresses. I have four endgame alts because, at the end of a terrible workday, all I want to do is zone out and bash. I'm nearly at five. :(

What's worse is that I buy credits on all of them.
    Aryanne
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I get nervous about large groups. I often avoid events unless I'm feeling like utterly MANIC and can just power through it.
    I spend way too much time freaking out about things that don't really matter.
    I tend to just tune people out if I get bad vibes from them.
    TeaniJensenAryanne
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    edited December 2013
    I waffle for days to weeks about if I should post something to RP logs on forums.  Just because -I- enjoyed it doesn't mean others will - maybe it's too masturbatory.
    CiarelleAryanne
  • Aishia said:
    I get nervous about large groups. I often avoid events unless I'm feeling like utterly MANIC and can just power through it.
    I spend way too much time freaking out about things that don't really matter.
    I tend to just tune people out if I get bad vibes from them.
    Very much the same way, with the added issue of it mostly preventing me from getting to know really anyone, as I'm unsure of how to really start with talking to anyone.
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    I always think @Macian and @Irruel are the same person. I don't know where this perception came from, I don't know why I have it, but I do know I am not the only one who thinks so!
    RivasArbre
    Arbre said:
    I waffle for days to weeks about if I should post something to RP logs on forums.  Just because -I- enjoyed it doesn't mean others will - maybe it's too masturbatory.
    Pfft. I post logs all the time, and I'm sure it annoys some people, but who cares. I love reading logs, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who enjoys having a new RP log up there to read. The more the merrier, I say! The only logs I wouldn't really post would be super private stuff that the other people aren't cool with you sharing, or plot arcs that aren't done yet and which might be influenced even accidentally by having them shared before they are done.
    EzalorSlypheAngweHaven
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I don't like reading RP logs. I don't know why, I just feel weird about it. I don't even like logging things, though if I do I will often read it over years later and just be like uughh. I don't know if I'd say they annoy me, but I guess I they just stir up insecurities or something.
    Aryanne
    The nice thing about RP logs is that if you don't like them, you can just bypass that part of forums, though. Having more logs posted doesn't do anyone harm and only enriches the community.
    SlypheSaritaPiperOmeiAngweArbreAryanne
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Pooooost iiiiiit!
    JaslineOmei
  • edited December 2013
    Ezalor said:
    I always think @Macian and @Irruel are the same person. I don't know where this perception came from, I don't know why I have it, but I do know I am not the only one who thinks so!

Is this @Irruel agreeing that he mixes them up too?
  • edited December 2013
    It's me not being able to post from Internet explorer.The Aetolian forum won't recognise anything I type in as actually being text.

Now I am back on Firefox - I was trying to say that Macian and I played early Achaea together, and then Aetolia. We've been in a lot of the same orgs over the years, so I can sort of see why you might confuse us BUT

C'mon man, he's a Kiwi and I'm Aussie. Please stop confusing us :(

• edited December 2013
    Irruel is the "Just rub some dirt in it!" guy and Macian's the "Why can't we all just get along?!"guy.

How the heck can you get them mixed up?
  • Want me to describe -you- in under 10 words, @hadoryu?
    TeaniPeriluna
    Irruel said:
    C'mon man, he's a Kiwi and I'm Aussie. Please stop confusing us :(

I thought New Zealand was like a state on Australia.
    AryanneEzalorXavinAarbrokAngweErzsebet
    The geography teacher in me is twitching violently, while the rest of me is giggling.

Sessizlik
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    No, no. New Zealand is where the hobbits live. Australia is where everything that wants to kill you lives.
    ArbreArekaEzalorHavenTeaniAngweRiluoAryanneErzsebet