Announce 2165 - Orghelp MXP

MacavityMacavity Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Town Crier
ANNOUNCE NEWS #2165
Date: 9/20/2013 at 9:59
From: Razmael, the Synthesist
To : Everyone
Subj: Orghelp MXP

Orghelp files can now provide MXP links to other orghelp files within 
the organization, as well as to actual help files! 

For those who aren't aware, MXP links are bits of output that a player 
with a MXP-enabled client can click on and their client will send an 
appropriate command back to the game. This is extremely useful for 
newbies, as it allows easy navigation through help files without them 
having to type out HELP <whatever> each time. As such, I strongly 
suggest everybody takes the time to update their orghelp files to 
support this. 

The syntax is straight forward. To link to another one of your 
organization's help files, you wrap the help file's name in [[ and ]], 
i.e. [[filenamehere]]. 

To link to an actual help file you should wrap the help file name in [< 
and >], i.e. [<helpfilenamehere>]. 

Here is a slightly more verbose example:

Hello novice! Please take the time to read GHELP [[PROGRESSION]]. You 
should also read over HELP [<RAZMAEL>] as he's a pretty cool guy. 
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."

Comments

  • MacavityMacavity Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    @Razmael  this does not appear to be working for me in the Teradrim guild.  
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

    Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander PortlandMember, Newbie Helper, Guildmaster Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These don't seem to work for the INDEX scroll, which is the one they are probably most useful for. Oversight or by design?
    The Divine voice of Razmael echoes in your head, "God of imps."
    Eugenides says to you, "Imp, Are you sure you were not born a Troll?"
    The Divine voice of Arion echoes in your head, "Every time I try to punish you for being so flippant, I find Myself laughing instead."
    Hugo has expressed his esteem of you for the following reason: Being a badass leader.
    image
    Macavity
  • MacavityMacavity Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    yeah this is odd, since the index is what people will be bringing up first and would be clicking from as well.
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

    Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • RazmaelRazmael Member, Administrator, Immortal Posts: 1,313 admin
    MXP should work properly on the index page now,
    MoireanMacavitySolaria
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander PortlandMember, Newbie Helper, Guildmaster Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woot!
    The Divine voice of Razmael echoes in your head, "God of imps."
    Eugenides says to you, "Imp, Are you sure you were not born a Troll?"
    The Divine voice of Arion echoes in your head, "Every time I try to punish you for being so flippant, I find Myself laughing instead."
    Hugo has expressed his esteem of you for the following reason: Being a badass leader.
    image
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VAMember Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't work for HELP GUILDNOVICES scrolls. Is that likely to change?
    image
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander PortlandMember, Newbie Helper, Guildmaster Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how feasible this would be to fix, but the Aetolian editor (is bitchier than the forums) has a pretty rigid cap on how many characters you can have per width. With these links, it's adding 4 characters for every word linked, which means that we have to narrow things down by 4 characters for every file we link, or else formatting is lost. I guess this is more of an editor issue, but the end result is that our scrolls have to be a ton more narrow, which is meh.
    The Divine voice of Razmael echoes in your head, "God of imps."
    Eugenides says to you, "Imp, Are you sure you were not born a Troll?"
    The Divine voice of Arion echoes in your head, "Every time I try to punish you for being so flippant, I find Myself laughing instead."
    Hugo has expressed his esteem of you for the following reason: Being a badass leader.
    image
  • MacavityMacavity Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    @Moirean are you talking about guildnovices scroll or the CHELP/GHELP and such??

    in my Ghelp nothing has changed in the way of narrowing it more or less.  Its all stayed the same.  In the editor it is narrower because of the [[ and ]] but once I view it outside the editor it all looks the same just highlighted
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

    Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander PortlandMember, Newbie Helper, Guildmaster Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Yours aren't that wide to start with then, but if your scrolls were already dancing up to the edge of max width, you need to drastically reduce how wide they are, or they'll lose formatting - the editor counts [[ ]] as characters, even though they aren't displayed. The people editing the scrolls have to manually deal with removing spaces all over the place to ensure it doesn't go over the max width.

    I personally prefer wider scrolls, as you can put more information there in front of a newbie and not have them entering MORE a bunch of times - IMHO the more times someone enters more, the more likely their eyes will be to glaze over and they will start to get overwhelmed.
    The Divine voice of Razmael echoes in your head, "God of imps."
    Eugenides says to you, "Imp, Are you sure you were not born a Troll?"
    The Divine voice of Arion echoes in your head, "Every time I try to punish you for being so flippant, I find Myself laughing instead."
    Hugo has expressed his esteem of you for the following reason: Being a badass leader.
    image
  • MacavityMacavity Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    @Razmael also is there a way for you to update the code that if we do [[cohelp purpose]] it will bring up the Congregation scroll instead of just doing ohelp cohelp purpose.

    This would assist in Orders that link information back to their Congregations from the OHELP
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

    Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • DamonicusDamonicus Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    @Razmael: Can we get it to work on HOUSEHELP as well. Seems it works on HHELP quite well.

  • RazmaelRazmael Member, Administrator, Immortal Posts: 1,313 admin
    Moirean said:
    Yours aren't that wide to start with then, but if your scrolls were already dancing up to the edge of max width, you need to drastically reduce how wide they are, or they'll lose formatting - the editor counts [[ ]] as characters, even though they aren't displayed. The people editing the scrolls have to manually deal with removing spaces all over the place to ensure it doesn't go over the max width.

    I personally prefer wider scrolls, as you can put more information there in front of a newbie and not have them entering MORE a bunch of times - IMHO the more times someone enters more, the more likely their eyes will be to glaze over and they will start to get overwhelmed.
    The characters used to indicate links should no longer count to the towards the wrap limit. I've also managed to increase the wrapping limit by a few characters, but I don't really want to increase this past 80.

    Macavity said:
    @Razmael also is there a way for you to update the code that if we do [[cohelp purpose]] it will bring up the Congregation scroll instead of just doing ohelp cohelp purpose.

    This would assist in Orders that link information back to their Congregations from the OHELP
    Not looking to add cross-organization linking right now, even if the two organizations are linked like Orders and Congs are. 
    Damonicus said:
    @Razmael: Can we get it to work on HOUSEHELP as well. Seems it works on HHELP quite well.
    I'm not even sure why HOUSEHELP exists instead of just being able to do HELP D'BAEN. I'll look into changing that later, it's a bit silly to have two different commands for that.
    Moirean
  • SaybreSaybre Member Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
    Can this be adapted for Projects for that same group too?

    I.e. Please take a look at current Mentors with [>Project 1234<]

    Not a necessity, but I'm already loving this, so if more can be added down the road, the better!
    image
    Moirean
  • AshiaAshia Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if it's just me, or if I have a setting wrong somewhere, but is anyone else having issues where text is not being displayed if it contains the characters '<' or '>' when CONFIG MXP OFF is set?

    For example,

    With MXP OFF I get this:
    Templars Announcements
    --> The credit sale is OPEN. Please check GHELP CREDITS.

    With MXP ON I get this:
    <--->Templars Announcements<-------------------------------------------------->
    --> The credit sale is OPEN. Please check GHELP CREDITS.
    <----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  • MacavityMacavity Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    Ashia said:
    I don't know if it's just me, or if I have a setting wrong somewhere, but is anyone else having issues where text is not being displayed if it contains the characters '<' or '>' when CONFIG MXP OFF is set?

    For example,

    With MXP OFF I get this:
    Templars Announcements
    --> The credit sale is OPEN. Please check GHELP CREDITS.

    With MXP ON I get this:
    <--->Templars Announcements<-------------------------------------------------->
    --> The credit sale is OPEN. Please check GHELP CREDITS.
    <----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    most likely you are using mudlet in which if you are there is a setting you need to click in order to see all that..

    go to settings (which is the wrench at the very top) > Special Options > then click on Force MXP negotiation off

    click save and you may need to restart mudlet with this setting.  after that you should be able to see all things in between < and >
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

    Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • AshiaAshia Member Posts: 2
    Well I thought so too, but I'm getting the same result from both Mudlet and MUSHclient.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I thought so too, but I'm getting the same result from both Mudlet and MUSHclient.
    httpsimages-ext-1discordappnetexternal8be0wXv29U0b9e3Zx0Ms-6O19NtmwxMAGo0Hqkw83Ochttpscdndiscordappcomattachments494775592382627840609989230072168448aish_wo_bgpngwidth960height614
  • MissariMissari Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    NO STOP GOD I CAN'T TAKE THIS I HAVEN'T HAD CAFFEINE IN WEEKS.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander PortlandMember, Newbie Helper, Guildmaster Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason, stuff is formatting really weirdly. Some examples:

    -------- [ Ministry ]----------[ Adjutant ]--[ Recruiting aides ]-

    turns into

    -------- [ Ministry [ ]----------Adjutant [ ]--Recruiting aides ]-


    and 

    Ministry: External Affairs ([<HELP AMBASSADOR>])

    turns into

    Ministry: External Affairs HELP AMBASSADOR()


    What am I doing wrong? :/
    The Divine voice of Razmael echoes in your head, "God of imps."
    Eugenides says to you, "Imp, Are you sure you were not born a Troll?"
    The Divine voice of Arion echoes in your head, "Every time I try to punish you for being so flippant, I find Myself laughing instead."
    Hugo has expressed his esteem of you for the following reason: Being a badass leader.
    image
  • SaybreSaybre Member Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
    The [ moving thing is because the -[ are right up against each other, if you just add a space - [ it works fine.
    I had the same thing and had to go through help files and fix it. For the paranthesis one, probably same thing, just throw in spaces.
    image
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander PortlandMember, Newbie Helper, Guildmaster Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh how annoying. It looks funky now. :(
    The Divine voice of Razmael echoes in your head, "God of imps."
    Eugenides says to you, "Imp, Are you sure you were not born a Troll?"
    The Divine voice of Arion echoes in your head, "Every time I try to punish you for being so flippant, I find Myself laughing instead."
    Hugo has expressed his esteem of you for the following reason: Being a badass leader.
    image
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VAMember Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave up on fancy file decorations. Sadly, I had to undo much of Aithene's work in the Sentinel ghelps.
    image
  • RazmaelRazmael Member, Administrator, Immortal Posts: 1,313 admin
    Moirean said:
    For some reason, stuff is formatting really weirdly. Some examples:

    -------- [ Ministry ]----------[ Adjutant ]--[ Recruiting aides ]-

    turns into

    -------- [ Ministry [ ]----------Adjutant [ ]--Recruiting aides ]-


    and 

    Ministry: External Affairs ([<HELP AMBASSADOR>])

    turns into

    Ministry: External Affairs HELP AMBASSADOR()


    What am I doing wrong? :/

    Saybre said:
    The [ moving thing is because the -[ are right up against each other, if you just add a space - [ it works fine.
    I had the same thing and had to go through help files and fix it. For the paranthesis one, probably same thing, just throw in spaces.
    This should no longer happen.
    Moirean
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander PortlandMember, Newbie Helper, Guildmaster Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay ty <3
    The Divine voice of Razmael echoes in your head, "God of imps."
    Eugenides says to you, "Imp, Are you sure you were not born a Troll?"
    The Divine voice of Arion echoes in your head, "Every time I try to punish you for being so flippant, I find Myself laughing instead."
    Hugo has expressed his esteem of you for the following reason: Being a badass leader.
    image
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander PortlandMember, Newbie Helper, Guildmaster Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Razmael said:
    Moirean said:
    For some reason, stuff is formatting really weirdly. Some examples:

    -------- [ Ministry ]----------[ Adjutant ]--[ Recruiting aides ]-

    turns into

    -------- [ Ministry [ ]----------Adjutant [ ]--Recruiting aides ]-


    and 

    Ministry: External Affairs ([<HELP AMBASSADOR>])

    turns into

    Ministry: External Affairs HELP AMBASSADOR()


    What am I doing wrong? :/

    Saybre said:
    The [ moving thing is because the -[ are right up against each other, if you just add a space - [ it works fine.
    I had the same thing and had to go through help files and fix it. For the paranthesis one, probably same thing, just throw in spaces.
    This should no longer happen.
    @razmael - this is still happening. :(
    The Divine voice of Razmael echoes in your head, "God of imps."
    Eugenides says to you, "Imp, Are you sure you were not born a Troll?"
    The Divine voice of Arion echoes in your head, "Every time I try to punish you for being so flippant, I find Myself laughing instead."
    Hugo has expressed his esteem of you for the following reason: Being a badass leader.
    image
Sign In or Register to comment.