Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

Message #16072 Sent By: (aetolia)       Received On: 9/21/2013/19:58
    "A bug you have reported, #8725, was deleted because: 'This should be fixed! If it for whatever reason comes up again (which it hopefully shouldn't) just bug it again please.'.  For your reference, the contents of this bug were: 'died, picked up the bough, it's empty again...'."

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Bah, I should have bugged it. I relinquished it because it was empty and I was told that was normal!
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Don't be too distressed. At some point, it should disappear on you intentionally.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Stathan
    I grabbed it right after the new year reset.
  • When Spireans drink, things stay drunk.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

MoireanEzraxTrigruAryanne
  • Spinesreach: Ithaqua without the cannibalism (I think..?)
  • Far too much movement in Spines to count as Ithaqua. People move and do stuff. Also needs moar sawdust in the liquor.
    imageimage
    Solaria
    Feeling the start of burnout.
    ArbreAarbrokStathanCiarelleZaephlyn
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Seeing someone who honestly tries hard, and puts in an ungodly amount of effort for no reward, and basically is busting all the nuts to make the game a better place, get shouted at by someone who's flipping out because their system is wonk. I get that tensions run high in PK and stuff, but man. Bad feels all around.

AarbrokStathanTrigruTeaniPeriluna
  • TrigruTrigru the Bumberton's Delight
    POSITIVE reinforcement, people, POSITIVE!
    Stathan
  • ^

...and a cricket bat!!

Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
    Draiman
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Ezrax said:
    Spinesreach: Ithaqua without the cannibalism (I think..?)

I just moved to spines, you can now include the cannibalism
  • TrigruTrigru the Bumberton's Delight
    Nothing like your own programming giving you away during an event. Sorry for the break in immersion, Sentaari! Clearly I need more coffee.
    KaleighStathan
  • I rage at this

You pick up some gold sovereigns.
    You now have 126806 gold.

I don't want to know how much gold TOTAL I have, It would be nicer if it just showed INV gold and not ALL the gold on you as all that gold minus what I just picked up is in my pack :(

Getting a guy all excited that he just picked up that much gold! EVIL I TELL YOU !!!

• AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited September 2013
    Having to throw out all your RP and everything you have based your character around because it does not fit in someone elses roleplay or they don't like it.
    Playing Aarbrok the way I have been lately (Passive, submissive, obedient, housewife/mother who confirms with another for every bloody action she takes) has not only made me dislike playing, but has made me very insecure with how to do anything with her, it has really ruined the game for me and made me rage out for more reasons on petty things that are absolutely not needing petty rage.

I would say I could just side hop again and go back to having fun again with less judgement and criticism on my roleplay or character, or crafting, but I am too far invested OOCly to do that. Pretty much ready to throw in the towel.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    @aarbrok I have no idea what the ooc circumstances are so take this with a grain of salt. If the game isn't fun anymore then make a change because there's no benefit to stressing out irl over aetolia
    Haven
  • StathanStathan Hot springs
    Aarbrok said:
    Having to throw out all your RP and everything you have based your character around because it does not fit in someone elses roleplay or they don't like it.
    Playing Aarbrok the way I have been lately (Passive, submissive, obedient, housewife/mother who confirms with another for every bloody action she takes) has not only made me dislike playing, but has made me very insecure with how to do anything with her, it has really ruined the game for me and made me rage out for more reasons on petty things that are absolutely not needing petty rage.

I would say I could just side hop again and go back to having fun again with less judgement and criticism on my roleplay or character, or crafting, but I am too far invested OOCly to do that. Pretty much ready to throw in the towel.
     And that royally sucks because I had a blast RPing with crazy Aarbs while she was a monk for that brief stay. The chats and all that were a blast and oddly, I have noticed how Aarbs just...kinda stands there more. Makes me sad.
  • Do miss the brawls down in the basement of the Atabahi den. And the smack-talk over GT. :<

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Aarbrok
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Make the game based around your character, not someone else's. Even though you should respect other's gameplay, you shouldn't build your entire thing around them to please them.

Aarbrok has gone through a lot of changes, some were good (like how she actually started to feel again when becoming living. Was interesting to see!) Others were maybe less so, especially if they make you feel unhappy about playing. Find a middleground or at least find the fun again in some way.

HavenMinaraelPeriluna
  • I sense a presence. It remains in its haven, watching, waiting, like some great evil, preparing to unleash itself on the world again. I can only pray it is someone's idea of a sick joke, some trick of the chameleon tattoo. But I know, deep down, all my frantic prayers will be for naught - instead I can only begin to prepare, and to brace, against the returning evil.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

ArekaXavinTeaniMoireanAngweArbreCiarellePeriluna
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Toz said:
    I sense a presence. It remains in its haven, watching, waiting, like some great evil, preparing to unleash itself on the world again. I can only pray it is someone's idea of a sick joke, some trick of the chameleon tattoo. But I know, deep down, all my frantic prayers will be for naught - instead I can only begin to prepare, and to brace, against the returning evil.
    It has already returned. >_>
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Aarbrok said:

No offense is meant to you @Aarbrok when I say this to you but... stop trying to conform to and meet everyone else's expectations/demands of your character. :| Artificial change doesn't work in the long run and will only make you unhappy. Instead, focus on what makes you happy and then change your environment to something that supports your interests.

(Side hopping not viable you say? A compromise could be having your character interact with who she wants anyway. Even if it means you're really hanging out with the enemy. You'll just have to adjust your character's thinking somehow in order to justify it enough to be sensible for your character*. Maybe she's lost the taste of the life vs undeath conflict. <-- Lots of people use that excuse already. The choice? The power? Is ultimately yours to use however/ do whatever you wish.)

[spoiler]

Do note that I said sensible for YOUR character. It does not matter if the world does not understand so long as your character does on some level because quite frankly that's how real people work. Hell, that might even turn into motivation for Aarbrok to make the world understand or something. Or spawn a different arc entirely. Up to you and what you're interested in doing next really.

[/spoiler]

If your anger stems from pressure to change your character that's OOC then I suggest that you stop interacting with those people OOCly. Or at the very least inform them that you do not wish to discuss your character with them any longer. It is not a requirement whatsoever to interact with anyone in this game OOCly in order to progress ICly, no matter what others may believe or want.

If your anger stems from OOC criticism of your character then I suggest that you consider why their opinion bothers you so much. Is it because they've misunderstood the story you're trying to tell with your character and that frustrates you? Is it because you think they're trying to pressure you to change your character? There are many different questions to be asked here but that's up to you to find and answer.

tl;dr

Consider the kind of story you're trying to tell/establish with your character and why. Then consider how the story can survive/adapt to the situations the character finds him/herself in. But above all else, know your audience and have fun. Anyway, that's my two cents. Take what you will from it and I hope it helps. Apologies if I've overstepped my bounds.

¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    JensenArbreArenCiarelleKaleighJaslinePeriluna
    I am going to paste this in entirety, just to fully convey my rage.

You say, "Do you know how skills and lessons work in Aetolia?"

Newbie says, "I'm not sure, to be honest." 

You say, "Right. GHELP LEARNING covers the basics of learning."

You say, "LESSONS shows you how many lessons you have - you then use these lessons to learn skillsets."

You say, "AB shows you all of the skillsets you know."

You say, "To see more information about a specific skillset, check out AB (skillset)"

You say, "Let's look over deathlore, so view AB DEATHLORE."

Newbie nods.

You say, "Skills you don't yet know are grey, while ones you have learned are white."

You say, "Let's try out using one of the skills."

You say, "View AB DEATHLORE GAZE to read about the specific skill of gaze."

Newbie nods.

You say, "Now, use the skill and tell me how many souls are in your stone?"

Her gaze never leaving the stone in hand, Newbie says, "Zero."

With a nod, you say, "Right. So you'll need to gather them. Check out AB DEATHLORE HARVEST to see one way to gather souls."

Newbie gives a curt nod.

You say, "Go ahead and prepare that defence."

Newbie nods her head emphatically.

You say, "From this point out, you will now gather souls as you hunt. Once you become a bit stronger, you can try out consumption, but this process isn't recommended until you reach around circle 15 or 20."

You say, "You can see what circle you are by checking SCORE."

You say, "Go ahead and do that now and tell me what circle you are."

Newbie looks thoughtful and says, "Aetolian, which I believe is circle five."

You say, "Good. Now, every time you hunt, you gain experience, which - and feel free to stop me if you know all of this - helps you gain new levels."

You say, "Every time you gain a new level, you earn five lessons. At certain key levels, you also earn credits, which can be converted to lessons as well."

You say, "So, killing creatures is an excellent way to get more lessons. As we've just seen, you can then spend those lessons to learn new skills."

You say, "Let's get you some more skills."

You say, "Go ahead and learn 16 survival from Gruxmal."

Newbie says, "If I may interject, I have already learnt the survival and savagery lessons, Commander."

Why do people do this crap? Please, for the love of Varian, if you are an alt, just give a subtle, "Yeah I get it" and don't pretend that you DON'T KNOW stuff, just to waste my time. If you ARE going to pretend to be entirely clueless, don't then basically rub it in my face that you've just successfully wasted my time. OMGGGGG.
    RivasAryanne
  • edited October 2013
    Two points: 

Sometimes, I will play ignorant nawb because it helps me learn how other people interact and do better myself, because sometimes I get useful info I -didn't- know, and sometimes (not here, but in Imperian where I got pegged when I didn't want to be) it prevents people from alt-guessing. 

Also, they could have just read your novice help files and gotten started. Usually 'learn this thing here' is pretty high up the file or easily plucked out and most people tend to learn first, read second. 

Edit - By which I mean - they could have been genuine in that they have sorted out -how- to learn, but maybe don't really understand the skills.
    imageimage
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    @Moirean I can see your frustration, but I would just see it as an opportunity to fine tune your own methods of talking to Novices and such.  Also that novice might be an alt, but you never know, your interaction may turn that alt into their main and make them want to play more, thus helping your guild as well
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    MinaraelTeani
    I don't mind interacting with newbs. I enjoy it and do it a lot. However, I have a ton of crap on my plate - my current to-do list for org stuff is over 30 items long. If I have to spend 45 mins to an hour teaching someone stuff they already know, it's a waste of my time, which is already spread thin - if someone is learning from the experience, that's absolutely great, but if someone's an alt and just playing dumb, they're wasting everyone's time, and it's pretty rude - plus they're making it more boring for everyone. Why not RP it out as a new recruit? I tend to include emotes in all of my intros to kinda "fish" to see if someone is new or an alt looking for RP, and I'm certain lots of other guilds do this, too. As soon as someone starts acting like they don't know what the command is for say, I'm going to switch gears into basic syntax stuff, instead of heavy RP, which means they aren't going to get a super interesting look at the org's RP and culture, because I want to ensure they can understand the basics of the game world. So I don't really think that would get them hooked if they are an alt, re Mac's comment.

I dunno, it just comes off as either trollish or inconsiderate to expect someone to spend extensive time teaching the basics, when we could be spending that time helping genuine new players or doing stuff with our orgs - and it means that we get burnt out and engaging new players becomes a chore.

Also the newb above then went on to say that they knew how tattoos worked, and they had gone and quit BL and were asking to join Spines without me saying anything, so. Not truenewb. 
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    PK discussion moved here.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Toxocology milking. Why do Syssin get an update and we're just... cut out of it? Do y'all hate us? It's like the past year has been a series of middle fingers aimed at Sentinels. I just don't understand it.
  • Sentinels should be losing toxicology soon, coding something new for a skill that's going dodo would be a waste of time/resources.
    Haven
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    I know. And the Syssin change doesn't make milking any faster anyway, it just cuts secreting out, which barely saves any time.

To be a bit more positive, I know this revamp is gonna be siiiiiick, so life's good. Looking forward to the Carnifex revamp as well!
This discussion has been closed.