Short COMBAT Questions

Comments

• Can someone explain main gauche to me? I've heard it referenced (usually angrily) many times, but it is always assumed that everyone knows what it is.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    It's kinda like spin spear, except it's passive, so they can just put the def up and forget about it and attack as normal, and it has a chance to proc when they are hit.
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    I just found that out, and it sounds evil.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Ezalor said:
    Well lucky you, Bloodborn is probably the best class for fighting Templars everyone right now since we have Fitness and can also disable MG by slashing paralysis every round the fastest affliction rates with the most versatility in the game.

Fixed it for you.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited August 2013
    Bloodborn actually has one of the slowest affliction rates out of all the affliction classes in the game, but keep complaining about OP instead of, you know, reading a log and actually improving. It's clearly been working out so far.

I've exploited the same flaw against you (and every other Citadel user) for almost half a year now, so you'll excuse me if I don't take any balance whine seriously when the people it's coming from don't even attempt to figure out why they are losing.
  • Daskalos said:
    Ezalor said:
    Well lucky you, Bloodborn is probably the best class for fighting Templars everyone right now since we have Fitness and can also disable MG by slashing paralysis every round the fastest affliction rates with the most versatility in the game.

Fixed it for you.
    Guess it beats on trying to lightning bash everyone, either way you look at it

• I'mma let you finish, but the wheel has the highest affliction rate of all time. OF. ALL. TIME.
    EzalorMoireanHaven
    edited August 2013
    Ezalor said:
    Bloodborn actually has one of the slowest affliction rates out of all the affliction classes in the game, but keep complaining about OP instead of, you know, reading a log and actually improving. It's clearly been working out so far.

I've exploited the same flaw against you (and every other Citadel user) for almost half a year now, so you'll excuse me if I don't take any balance whine seriously when the people it's coming from don't even attempt to figure out why they are losing.

I'm not getting into this with you. I don't fight enough to care to improve the curing overmuch, but for all the whining you do about Templar I find it funny that you beat all of them. The fact that MindBurrow got put into the game is mindboggling, when the liaison reports called for a nerf, not the buff you got.

Secondly, since in their infinite wisdom our administration has decided that the man who has only ever played one class is worth being a liaison, why don't you actually calculate affliction rates and list the available affliction pool for each class? Also, while you're at it, tell me -any- other class that can push mana AND afflictions AND damage at the same time? Also, you have the ability to deliver 2 afflictions on a -constant basis- because your whispers hit through shield, so whereas all the other affliction classes you can turtle for a moment against, you -cannot- against mentis users. Don't underestimate the strength of that, Ezalor.

And, by the way, Azton, I beat Dourif twice this morning without using lightning, and in fact, rarely use lightning unless I'm going for a straight damage overload (like in team combat, when you fools let me just wail away). Lightning has so many restrictions on it it's not even funny. But, you thought the tide was turning and you can't -stand- to be on the losing side so back to Loch\Reach you ran.

"If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

edited August 2013
    Actually I've beaten you in 3 different classes already and I'm working on my 4th. And lol, every time I've fought you on any class/character you default to lightning once you go nowhere. Either that or cheap tricks like forcing sacrifice of corpses or other janky measures to try to win.

Since the last time we fought and you won in the Duel, I've made a billion improvements to my system. What have you done besides buy more artifacts and whine? I don't know why you expect to be able to win beyond a sense of entitlement because you spent more money than I did. The difference is since Lanira went inactive I haven't been completely helpless and floundering without knowing how to improve in combat. As much as you want to trumpet about one class, I guarantee you I know far more about how to play even your own class (or any class) than you do. Your liaison reports didn't even touch on what is actually wrong with the Luminary class.
  • A lot of the problem from Bloodborn/Praenomen isn't just necessarily their pure affliction rate, but the effectiveness of a few of their afflictions that they can keep stacked. As with pretty much any affliction based class, if you can't hinder them, they will tear you up, and right now Epilepsy/Stupidity is being extremely potent in slowing down any hindering you can do.

To be fair to Ezalor, he may be newer to the combat scene, but he does a great job at analyzing classes, working to find out strategies, and even points out things that need to be fixed with the classes he uses the most. There is a reason he is a liaison. 
    DraimanDaskalosAngweHaven

@Ezalor - I have a job, and a life, and I don't live for PK. No offense, but I ran this game for years and really have no overt interest in PK. It bores me. I make sure I'm not incompetent in team combat and that's about all I -really- care about. Why? Because you can be the best in the world at individual PK (I know, I was there) and still get ganked in team PK time and again. As Kaeus said, and as I said in my original post, it's not -just- the affliction rate but also the afflictions you have available. I default to 'cheap tricks' as you put it because, in -your- words 'Luminaries are kind of gimped with the affliction pool they have'.  There's an approved liaison report to fix that, but it's not been put in. I don't mess with my system often, and lately have been fighting more manual than scripted. Why? Because anyone can write a 'janky' script and prove they have the time to script, but it's more about the ebb and flow. There's a beauty in IRE combat that you're missing. I hate scripted offenses and have one because it was needed to keep up. I'd rather slow everything down and let people manual, but that doesn't happen, and hasn't since Xarian wrote his first offense years ago to beat me.

@Kaeus - I have no problem with him as liaison. I do have a problem with a liaison being condescending when they're supposed to be balancing the game, not playing 'defend your own class'.

• Daskalos said:

... since Xarian wrote his first offense years ago to beat me.

Wat.
  • RARA AFFLICTIONS ARE BROKEN.
    edited August 2013
    You have no idea what I'm posting or discussing about my class. What irks me is when people don't make ANY effort at analyzing logs, don't improve at all, and default to class whine when they lose. I do listen when people like Feichin and Kaeus bring up problems with Bloodborn because they actually have put in the time and analysis to pinpoint what things are problematic. And, as you said, I spend a lot more time working on this than you do. Any class I play is going to seem overpowered and unbalanced to you because I'm going to be playing it closer to optimally. Remember all the baww about Shamans being overpowered? They haven't changed at all, except some people actually sat down and solved how to fight against the class. You don't hear much about them anymore.

You want to know why I said Luminaries are gimped? Because prioritizing curing no blindness above all mental affs makes it so they can never Overwhelm you. I also only realized this way AFTER all the times I've fought you, and realized it looking over logs of Xiuhcoatl in the Brawl. It has nothing to do with what you perceive as a limited aff pool. Pulling out cheap wins and using wonky strats rather than optimizing your class is going to do nothing to help improve. When people fight for the purpose of improving rather than the purpose of winning, that is when they will reach the top. Otherwise you can just find one stupid thing to win with, but the moment someone solves it it's going to become obsolete.

As far as anyone being able to write a potent offensive script...well, there's only a handful of people who have really analyzed their class and taken out ideas and improvements, and it's no coincidence that they're the ones at the very top. You'd be surprised at how much tinkering and improving go into these offenses/curing and eventually it all adds up. It isn't quite as simple as "ok I made some automation, now I win." If it was then you'd see a lot more competent people than you see now.

Call me condescending if you wish, and I may very well be, but there are only a few people in this game whose opinions on class balance I actually consider valid. These people are the ones who work diligently to improve all they can improve and push their classes to the limit. Anyone else and, frankly, it doesn't matter at all what class is involved, results will be the same.
    Lim
  • This is the list I have for focus, in order. Am I missing anything or do I have anything borked?

stupidity|anorexia|epilepsy|paranoia|shyness|dizziness|indifference|berserk|hatred|claustrophobia|pacifism|vertigo|loneliness|agoraphobia|masochism|recklessness|weakness|confusion|dementia

• DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    There is a list that Feichin has posted in the scripting section. If it were not a major pain for me to find it on my phone I would c/p it here for you.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited August 2013

Quick question:

How many players outside the US get a sort of small lag between commands with the Aetolia Server (e.g., it feels like 1/4 sec behind for each command/cure, which seems to add up very fast). I am starting to notice it more and more since returning to Aetolia, while at first I thought it was just my net connection now I am starting to really wonder. To test it I hijacked the South Australian government's connection at work  8-> It is extremely fast and should never have issues, however it still seems a bit meh!

• Im in the UK and never had an issue like that.. (I say that as I cant enter aetolia.com nor login) ...

Only lag I get is game lag or sometimes I get mudbot lag.. but thats mudbot showing me it loves me!

@vharen my focus list is --

dizziness, stupidity, agoraphobia, anorexia, berserking, confusion, dementia, epilepsy, indifference, mirroring, loneliness,  masochism, parania, hallucinations, shyness, claustrophbia, hatred,  weariness, recklessness, veritgo, pacifism, premonition

im not 100% certain ANYONE nowadays as a correct list for focus

Yours, at the very least, is not in order. XD

• Why does it have to be in order? silly @draiman

No point in eating an herb for an aff you're about to focus away if you have another herb you'd rather eat.

• edited August 2013
    Riluo said:

Quick question:

How many players outside the US get a sort of small lag between commands with the Aetolia Server (e.g., it feels like 1/4 sec behind for each command/cure, which seems to add up very fast). I am starting to notice it more and more since returning to Aetolia, while at first I thought it was just my net connection now I am starting to really wonder. To test it I hijacked the South Australian government's connection at work  8-> It is extremely fast and should never have issues, however it still seems a bit meh!

@Riluo
    Do you mean aside from the 250ms latency (at best) that we have here in Aus?
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited August 2013
    At work at sits on 240ms, at home it is 290ms-310ms! Also this is from mudlet (N:0.354 S:0.037) does that seem bad and a factor in things relating to combat!

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    well the good news its not your computer that you are using, as the S stands for system and its processes.  

For the N, which is for network, this could be a multiple of things and could be one or many items involved. 

1. Do you have multiple machines on your network that is using up bandwidth?
    2. Check your net speeds both Up and Down from your ISP
    3. Compare the above to a test you can run... http://www.speedtest.net/  Then see if you are getting the speeds you should.  If not speak to the ISP
    4. reboot your modem and router (if you have one) doing this will help flush out anything that might be lingering.  
    5. Now if you are getting the same speeds at home as well as at work you could be on the same ISP, if that is the case then sadly nothing you can do about it
    6. Finally it may not have anything to do with your network at home/work, or ISP and might just be the fact you are on an Island from down under that the transatlantic line that connects your world to ours might just be slow and you wont have any control over that at all.
    Also would this affect your combat....oh yeah
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • @macavity @riluo

The test command you want is "tracert aetolia.com" (from the windows command shell, i.e. dos prompt) or "traceroute aetolia.com" from the terminal if you're on a mac.

The fault is the Pacific ocean, or more specifically, the size of it. (Some mug put America on the other side of it)

There's nothing you can do, 250 ms is about as good as you'll get.
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited August 2013
    It is a real pity, how dare they do that. Oh what is that you say Razmael is setting up the server in NZ!!

• Will discernment in vision tell me if a broken limb gets cured and which one when someone uses ERASE/RENEW/CONSTITUTE? I know it does for tree and restoration, just wondering about this too. Thanks!
    Rawr
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    here you go...

(person) smiles faintly as a healing glow seems to push afflictions from her body.
    You discern that (person) has cured the effects of a broken right leg.
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • edited August 2013
    Edit: Apparently it's been a long week. Wrong thread.
  • edited August 2013
    Amberlea said:
    Will discernment in vision tell me if a broken limb gets cured and which one when someone uses ERASE/RENEW/CONSTITUTE? I know it does for tree and restoration, just wondering about this too. Thanks!
    if people cure with purity/angel curing/tree/endgame curing (Renew/recon etc) it will come up as

You discern that Azton has cured the effects of (.+).

the (.+) might be different to what you track as, but it does showall curing, unless someone uses one of them abilities and nothing gets cured, nothing will show