What do you do when you're bored?

You've just logged on. You're deffed up and you've sufficiently spammed RM, RN, CL NEXT, READLOG (orgs), SC and STAT to your twitchy little heart's content, and now...what to do?

What do you guys do when you get bored? When you -could- bash/craft/RP/hunt leylines, but you're not entirely in the mood. Quest? Pick a fight? Something entirely original that you've been saving for JUST THIS POST?

I feel like I'm doing the same things over and over again, and would love some friendly input on how to get out of the rut.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

Atrapoema

Comments

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Imgur.
    Haydyn
  • If you're asking about what we do related to Aetolia: I work on converting my cmud to mudlet.

If it doesn't have to be related to Aet, I play other games/watch netflix, qq'ing optional.
    Lin
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    edited August 2013
    I find new people to pester and RP at, or I find reasons to RP at people I haven't RPed at in a while. Doesn't even need to be a huge, dramatic story arc thing. Just bug them for smalltalk or silly little things if that floats your boat; sometimes it can lead into bigger, more interesting things.

Non-Aetolia wise, I play other games. Particularly older games I haven't played in a while (hello, Megaman series). I also go on massive binges of watching TV shows or movies. I've been watching lots of old Chinese kung fu movies lately.
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    I try to find RP on either my main or log into an alt. I read Reddit. Find something random to watch on Netflix or stream something current. Watch old DVDs. Play other video games. Take a nap or just sprawl out in bed. Go walk.

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    - I go through stuff, like old projects or CLHELPs in random clans, and tidy them up. Usually I find an old gem of an idea in there to get me off going on some random project.

- I find a random newbie to bug. I get them all setup with basic gear, make sure they know the basics, sometimes send them off on a special "task" to help out the city/guild - if you have an illusion artifact, this can be REALLY fun.

- I talk to NPCs. I uhhh do this a lot. If something gets buggy or they do a particularly annoying room emote (I reshuffled the guards around in the Conclaves the other day after haranguing the Syssin for getting cigarette ash on my paperwork). I don't expect admin response or anything (and I would be somewhat mortified if they did chime in), I just...dunno. I'm weird and I like to ground myself in the game world itself sometimes, and it's easy to get lost in paperwork and mechanics. I find that interacting with the room or NPCs or whatever draws me back in.

- I write letters to people. Sometimes to try to start RP stuff, sometimes just to be weird and silly or to be creative with mundane tasks.

- I add stuff to my house. It's kinda a serious problem at this point.

- I hop on my alt and bash and get frustrated and lonely with the quiet and anonymity and head back to Moi, refreshed and excited to do stuff. 

- I used to find random people to RP at, but I dunno, I kinda find this draining these days. Like, I want stuff to be fun for the other party, but that takes energy and involves putting yourself out there, so I don't do this so much anymore. BUT, it used to be a fun, random way to pass the time (see: Hadoryu and I riddle battling).

- I code random system things, like my esteem tracker.

- I do work with liaisons, like bug verification and rating. 

- I do city/guild/order events. TBH I think I'd be a lot more bored if I weren't in leadership. I totally exploit my orgs for entertainment. >_>
    Rivas
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    I stalk Sarita's childer with blood monitor, then scare them with assorted blood visions if they aren't in the middle of something like bashing.

Then I see if anything's going on over in IRC.

Sometimes I try coaxing other forms of RP out of people in the Teradrim or BL, but that tends to have a lower success rate.

I'll spend some time with random drafts of different ideas for making Bahir'an a more unique/classy/whatevermymoodis House. Those ideas kind of come in rushes, so I try to spread them out a bit by seeing what other people think first, then coming up with some IC drafts of proposals, getting more feedback, and that sort of thing before putting anything in formally.

Sometimes I go to shops and libraries just to see if creative people have come up with anything new and interesting. Sarita has a collection of outfits that she rotates through based on weather, her interests at the moment, and so on, and she likes keeping books on hand to reference if she's studying up on something new, RPing one of those House changes I mentioned earlier, and so on.
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    For MUDs in general, when I had my laptop to use, I tended to play LoL, read one of the many books I have on it, chat on skype/irc/facebook, poke at one of the various other games I had downloaded, read Cracked, read other various/random articles that popped up on my news feed, play Chess Titans, watch various downloaded shows, and various other small stuff I can't recall.

For Aetolia, since I don't have my laptop to use, I usually just end up qq'ing and talking on skype/irc/fb, read Cracked, news feed stories and sometimes Chess Titans, watch some stuff every now and then.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
  • Solitaire.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

SolariaAryanne
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    I rarely get bored (there's so much to do!) but when I am...

I troll Enorian/Duiran.
    AldricMoireanEzalorAryanne
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    If that's the case then seems to me like You're bored all the time...
    SolariaAryanne
  • TzaTza
    edited August 2013
    I end up remembering all the stuff I'm supposed to do but really don't want to do. :(

Not that that's very helpful in your situation, but my boredom in online games often stems from suppressed guilt about things I should be doing instead. On the other hand, fixing those things tends to fix my 'boredom' too...
    Vharen
  • Check system to-do list. Put to-do list aside. Check it again. Make one change, put it aside.

Flirt shamelessly.

Read the IRC and inject a terribly unfunny one-liner every now and again.

Make similar comments about whatever Minarael is watching, which is SVU right now. I'm inappropriate.

Rivas
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    edited August 2013
    When I get really bored, I tend to plop Piper down in places that offend some people (such as Enorian or Duiran). Stirs up RP about half the time without me having to do much of anything other than gabber on about a new straw hat that she just bought or something..

...or I stop listening to that little voice in my head that says something is a bad idea.. I'LL DO IT ANYWAYS, I tell myself. That usually gets some amusing results.

...or I drag someone on an Adventure (tm) such as ice skating in the Tundra.

...or I start watching make up tutorials, dollar store makeup hauls, or TV shows about medical wonders and mysteries.

Sometimes I just do all the above at the same time and add in some background Terraria/Organ Trails.

LinAarbrok
  • aet related -> wander around which usually finds me getting hurt, or find someone random to RP with.

non-aet related -> pinterest (mostly), or do some actual work, or find something random to look up online. 
  • I'm never bored.

EVER.
    Lin
  • In Aetolia:

- Do one of the bajillion projects I have going at any given time. 
    - Go poke someone I don't know in an org I'm involved in. HEY TEMPLAR I DO NOT KNOW -bother-
    - Hunt, reluctantly, but dangit, I want Tekal.
    - Start a new project cuz I don't already have enough to work on.

Outside of Aetolia: 

- Be my mouthy self on IRC. 
    - If I'm SUPER bored and can't otherwise think, I move my computer so I can sit in my massive, extra comfy blue chair and play Minecraft on my xbox while I watch crap on Netflix on my computer and harass people on Skype. Because, multitasking is really only good for screwing off.
    - If I can think, writing things that aren't bread-and-butter work, being weird at @Vharen, reading/watching news, or having hilarious arguments with stupid on the internet. 
    imageimage
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    You don't harass me :(

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
  • Also not playing Minarael really. :(
    imageimage
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    If I can't find anything to do, or I'm not in the mood to do anything, I just log out and do something else. I'm back to 16 year old me and addicted like crazy though, so I'm always doing something, be it coding or trying to trans out my emoting skill.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Moirean

• Moirean said:

- I hop on my alt and bash and get frustrated and lonely with the quiet and anonymity and head back to Moi, refreshed and excited to do stuff. 

I do this, but for some reason absolutely love being completely unknown. I end up coming back to Macian when I get fed up with not being endgame, and not having wings. 
  • I bother people and use panties to fling snack cakes at people in Four Corners.
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
    Ciarelle
  • I enjoy harassing @Moirean. Huehue. Otherwise I either play with my system a bit, give some of the newer things in the game a go, or find old faces to talk with.
    Moirean
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Refresh the mafia page.
    MoireanDraimanMeskhenetAryannePerilunaTeani
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Forum Mafia is so last week, web Mafia is where it's at now.
    DraimanAldricPiperLinAngwe
  • I quit the game forever.
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    And yet I can't quit Hadoryu.
    Hadoryu
  • edited August 2013
    Why can't I quit you, Hadoryu?

44 seconds in, since it won't link correctly. >:|
    LinHadoryuHaven
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Hadoryu said:

I quit the game forever.