Steam Summer Sale!

edited July 2013 in OOC Chat
Sooo.. the only time I've ever bought games off of Steam was exactly a year ago during last year's Summer sale, because hey, who's going to turn down five games for like $15? 

That being said, I wanna know what you folks are buying this sale. Any must-haves on the list? Anything I should be looking out for? Just wanna brag about an awesome deal/recommend it to others? This is the place to do so.

Money's been kinda tight lately, so I'm more than likely not going to buy any single game over $10 unless it's an absolutely amazing deal.. and my cruddy laptop can handle it.

My one and only purchase so far has been Scribblenauts Unlimited based purely off of it being cheap and it looking incredibly entertaining.. don't judge me, it is.
Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.

Comments

• SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    I'm waiting to see if Anno 2070 goes any lower, or if there is a Fallout combo of any sort. Chivalry..just because it's fun for randomness. Death rally, just because it is $2.49. Not sure what else is on the agenda yet. Those are on my list from last year.

• DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    Buddy just gifted me Borderlands 2 for like $10. I haven't looked at anything on sale though cause I'm broke and I don't want to see what I'm missing :(
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

AldricAmelas
  • edited July 2013
    Just bought Surgeon Simulator because it looked fun.. and it was like $3.00. Opinion incoming!

EDIT: ..ahmygod, hard game is hard. 
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • As I suggested over in my quarantined thread; Hotline Miami is an amazing game that was on sale yesterday. Likewise, FTL, Don't Starve, XCom: Enemy Unknown, Legend of Grimrock, BitTrip Runner 2: Legend of the Future Rhythm Alien, and The Walking Dead are great games that deserve a look if you have not.
    Aldric
  • And just a reminder: wait for the daily deal.

Ezrax
  • Fallout 3 GOTY and Fallout: New Vegas with all DLC for 4.99 each?

Yessir. I think I will.

Tyrai
  • Got DOTA 2, but decided I didn't like it because of the way each class apparently has a hard-counter in another class. Aetolia, you've ruined me.
  • edited July 2013
    Macian said:
    Got DOTA 2, but decided I didn't like it because of the way each class apparently has a hard-counter in another class. Aetolia, you've ruined me.
    I heartily recommend giving it another shot. Dota2 is a lot of fun as long as you remember that a) there have been people playing various incarnations of the game for years and years and b) you, as well as everyone else, are terrible at the game. Some heroes are definitely counters to others, but team coordination and individual skill play a much bigger factor in my opinion. There's a lot of us playing it out there!

This guide has some pretty good insight on the basics, as well as some recommendations for getting started. I also recommend watching a few videos of other players explaining the mechanics: http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

EzalorHaern
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Macian said:
    Got DOTA 2, but decided I didn't like it because of the way each class apparently has a hard-counter in another class. Aetolia, you've ruined me.
    Not sure where you got this idea but it's hardly true! Skill is the deciding factor in almost all cases.
  • Yeah, I've had people pick supposed "hard counters" to the character I was playing at times, and I still did terrific due to good teamplay.
  • I've picked up a few games so far this sale: XCOM, Antichamber, Swapper, Just Cause 2, and Don't Starve.  Waiting to see if Rogue Legacy goes cheaper in the sale or not as it's the only thing off the top of my head I want to get.  Of those, only played a tiny bit of Don't Starve and a lot of XCOM (highly recommend it).  

Other games I'd recommend to watch out for are Left 4 Dead 2, Portal series, FTL, LIMBO, Company of Heroes, Dungeons of Dredmor, Dungeon Defenders, Killing Floor, Magicka, Legend of Grimrock, Baulder's Gate, Mass Effect series, Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm, Civilization, SpaceChem, Terraria, Trine series, Wargame: Airland Battle, the new Tomb Raider, Bioshock series, Bastion, Braid, Bulletstorm, Amnesia: TDD, DEFCON, TF2 (free, everyone should play this).  No particular order to any of that, but the above are all games enjoyed.

• PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    edited July 2013
    I'm really kinda digging Organ Trail. It's so sweet and simple:

imageimage

I can't decide if this is the worst or best party to travel across the country in a station wagon during a zombie apocalypse.
    AardeLinAldric
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    I got Organ Trail as an app on my phone, love it! I always name them after the Zombieland naming conventions (Austin, Cleveland, etc.)
    Piper
  • Portal, Portals 2, Fallout New Vegas, and @Illidan hooked me up with Torchlight 2, gonna buy a bunch more friday.
  • Haern said:
    As I suggested over in my quarantined thread; Hotline Miami is an amazing game that was on sale yesterday. Likewise, FTL, Don't Starve, XCom: Enemy Unknown, Legend of Grimrock, BitTrip Runner 2: Legend of the Future Rhythm Alien, and The Walking Dead are great games that deserve a look if you have not.
    i LOVE the bittrip games, they are the funnest on Wii though.
  • Just bought the Civilization 5: Gold Edition for $12.49.

I've only ever played whatever Civ game was on consoles, and I understand there's probably quite the difference, but I couldn't resist getting something that's usually $49.99 for just over $12. Absolutely cannot wait for this to finish downloading.
  • It's all good til you have to DL your games and bash through 400ms latency
    Lin
    Picked up a few more games this morning and I am beyond excited. Fallout Collection (Fallout 1, 2 and Brotherhood of Steel), Terraria (finally), and Alan Wake. I couldn't believe that I was getting a $19.99 game for less than $2.50, esp one that I'd been eyeballing for a while.
    Haven
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Terraria! :3
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • Minecraft > Terraria
  • Terraria > .+
  • Well, after buying everything I am going to buy for this sale I ended up with:

Saints Row 3
    Star Wars KOTOR 2
    Starforge
    Sim City 4
    Portal
    Portal 2
    Counter Strike Source
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die
    Skyrim Legendary Edition
    Fallout 3
    Fallout: New Vegas
    Torchlight 2

And my bank account is still pissed at me.
    edited July 2013
    Total list of what I bought. Instead of constantly posting everytime I buy a new game, I'll just update this list-

Alan Wake
    Terraria
    Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
    Organ Trail
    The Bard's Tale
    Fallout
    Fallout 2
    Brotherhood of Steel
    Dreamfall
    The Longest Journey

What I want to get-
    Torchlight
    Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
    The Cave
    Dreamfall
    The Longest Journey
    Moar Star Wars games!

Open to suggestions about what else would be good. 
  • edited July 2013
    they have an entire star wars collection for sale, it was like 50 bucks, but had all the star wars games,  I got so pissed off at how KOTOR 2 doesnt work (and I guess thats just how it is, its a buggy piece of crap) that I passed on the collection.

and by the way, I only got CSS so I can play some Garys Mod,with it, anyone play TTT?
    Piper
  • I gooooooot...

Garry's Mod
    Surgeon Simulator
    Civilization 5: Gold Edition
    Scribblenauts Unlimited

aand then I ran out of expendable cash.. 

I kinda wish I got Torchlight 2, with the way everybody keeps talking about it. Seems like something that'd be pretty fun.
    How is Surgeon Simulator? I was looking at that but got antsy about purchasing it.
  • Expendable cash! Hah! I'm broke!
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited July 2013
    My boyfriend has been snagging a ton of stuff and he let me use his account to get.... Roller Coaster Tycoon (ah, the memories)! Although it's the deluxe fancy later version with fireworks and zoos, so it's taking me time to adjust to the features my basic childhood play didn't have. Like the terrain morphing - I keep making giant mountain peaks appear next to my roller coasters. >_<

I also had him get Reus for me, which is a "god game" - not really heard of the genre, but apparently it's similar to stuff like Civ and Caesar II and Sim City except it's the land you create and people react according to how you've terraformed it. The art style looked pretty, so I'm excited to give it a try. :)

Edit: Oh sadface, it needs a fancy graphics card (or, I guess, a graphics card period other than the default one). I will have to steal his computer and try it out later!
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    I learned from the last Steam summer sale, where I bought every game that looked good and still haven't played 90% of them one year later.

I did, however, still cave in and buy Torchlight II and Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.
  • I cannot for the life of me play Baldur's Gate. I suck at it so bad, I die in the tutorial town half the time...

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz