A contest!

AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
edited July 2013 in Harpy's Head Tavern
PUBLIC NEWS #5538
Date: 7/5/2013 at 4:30
To  : Everyone
Subj: A competition!

Greetings, Sapience.

Almost a full century has passed since the first days of the Dreikathi invasion, an event which affected all of us in one way or another. It was a struggle unlike any I had ever experienced before, an era of heroes and unity beyond anything before or after. The destruction of Ashtan by dragonfire still lives clearly in the memories of those who became refugees. Many remember Winters, who managed to fell the Merzpawn known as Erkuba. And who amongst us have not heard of the day when Mazzion was blessed with the visage of the Ankyreans themselves? And Tuiln, who inspired a whole generation of men and women to take up arms in resistance of these foreign invaders. Truly, these were times that deserve being remembered.

As such, I have decided to host an event of sorts, a competition that will run to the end of Midsummer in year 397 M.A. It will, in part, relate to the events that unfolded here all those years ago. The rules are as follows:

The competition will consist of three separate parts: Crafting, Religion, and Change. Each of these parts will be further divided into two separate contests. Participating in any of these will award one point per contest. The winning entry for either of these contests will be awarded three points. A maximum of three runner ups per contest will be rewarded two points each. Whoever has the most points when the competition ends wins. Quite simple, no?

CRAFTING:
1) - MEMORABILIA - Design and craft an item of your choice that has a connection (whether direct or indirect) to the events surrounding the Dreikathi invasion. It could be a painting of their airships, a piece of Ursai armament, or anything else inspired by the Dreikathi invasion. Send me the item in a signed letter, along with a brief explanation of how this item relates to the events that took place during the invasion. Any craft may be used for this contest
2) - DELVE - With the discovery of Delve came possibilities, trade, and innovation. While the pylons and the extraction of ylem were the greatest advances for the cities of Sapience, there were other ways to benefit from this newfound civilization. One of these benefits were the many new materials, techniques, and styles used for crafts in Delve itself. Design and craft an item of your choice, using a craft of your choice, based either on materials or a style that originates in Delve. As with the previous contest, send a signed letter containing the item as well as a brief explanation on how its connection to Delve. Any craft may be used for this contest.

RELIGION:
3) - THE DIVINE - The Dreikathi hail from a godless land, their Divinities supposedly long since dead or gone. Even here, our own Gods and Goddesses could not halt the Polemarch's advance. As such, I feel it is proper to take some time to simply remember Them, and what They havedone for us. Find a way to pay homage to or teach about one, or several, of the Divine, and do it. This could range from sacrifice, to essays, to sermons, or any other form of worship you might think of. Send me a signed transcript of this act of worship (or a copy in the case of an essay).
4) - THE MALEVOLENT - While all Divine deserve respect, there is but one that still commands my loyalty: Iosyne. Simply put, learn Her tenets, summarize them, and compare them to the lifestyle you have chosen to pursue. The contest here is not one about agreement, but rather understanding: whoever can relay Her teachings to me in the most concise and accurate manner, regardless if supporting them wholly or vehemently disagreeing, will win.

CHANGE:
5) - GEOGRAPHY - The Dreikathi invasion affected not only the people of Sapience, but the entire continent itself; Ashtan was destroyed, Aalen was poisoned, and the Scidve Cove was discovered. Chose a georaphic area, and describe how it has changed - for better or for worse - over the decades. Apart from writing about the area itself, topic could include wildlife, plantlife, or other similar subjects. Send me a copy of your findings in a signed letter.
6) - PEOPLE - The final contest might be the most interesting one as it requires you to study people. During the Dreikathi invasion, people from all walks of life (and unlife) joined together to fight impossible odds; alliances and structures formed only to collapse as the common threat disappeared. Write an essay in regards to politics, organizations (cities, houses, orders, or guilds), or just interview a person of interest. The only requirement is that the main topic would relate to 'change' in one form or another. Apart from that, it is up to the contenders to decide what they wish to write about. As with the other contests, send me a signed letter with your submission.

For all these contests, quality will be valued over quantity. Also, anyone competing in a contest will earn at least one point, so being ambitious will ensure a higher placement in the total tally.

As usual, competition would not be a competion without prizes, so I am offering the following items to be given out to participants (whoever comes in highest picks first, the second place picks next, and so on until all rewards have been claimed):

* A compass-inlaid ilmenite bracer (1x top half of a mirror frame, 1x bottom half of a mirror frame, 2x mirror shards, 1x compass diagram, 1x compass needle, 1x compass case, 1x broken chain, 4x ilmenite ore, 1x left eye, 1x right eye, 1x gemstone setting, 1x silver chain loop)
* The star chart of Elenina (1x of each of the star chart segments)
* A snowglobe of Spinesreach (5x model Spires of Spinesreach)
* A racial Idol (1x golden head, 1x golden torso, 1x golden arms, 1x golden legs)
* A racial Idol (1x golden head, 1x golden torso, 1x golden arms, 1x golden legs)
* 50 credits
* 100,000 gold
* 5x chalices of enigmatic elixir
* 3x chalices of enigmatic elixir
* 10x grimstim pills
* 10x phoenix hearts
* 10x bull's eyes
* 10x assorted pieces of chocolate

Furthermore, I would happly accept assistance in judging entries for the competition. Those of you who would be willing to assist me in this should just send me a message.

Let this be an exciting prelude for the year 400 celebrations!

Penned by my hand on the 2nd of Haernos, in the year 394 MA.

So, I'm going to post here for a few reasons:
  • I would really appreciate advice and/or criticism as I've never done anything like this before. I am not entirely sure how to keep track of entries, but I'll probably start a project in my clan with entries and such. Does anyone know of a better way?
  • Please, encourage people to participate. I tried really hard to think of contests that would let everyone participate on an equal footing (didn't want bashing/essence/PK contests because this is eclusive to a fairly small segment of the playerbase). Even with the Iosyne part, I'm hoping people from the Lifer/Light side will join in. I'm specifically not asking for people to praise the Bloodgod or anything like that, just want people to learn a bit more about my side of the game. It is not an Undead/Shadow exclusive contest! I will be disappointed and sad if no Enorians/Duirans participate.
  • Try as many of the contests as you can! Participation earns a point so even if you don't win it'll help! I'd have offered credit rewards for participation but I sort of started running out of unbound credits.
  • You can both compete in the contest and help with judging entries. I want this to be an unbiased contest, and I will ultimately have the final say on the placement in each of the contests, but I -really- would like some help with judging this all.
  • If anyone else feel contributing with prizes, I will more than gladly accept donations. Heck, even a blessing from Ere or a custom crafted item from one of you crafter guys or something like that would be amazing. I tried adding some nice stuff to the competition so people would have incentive to participate.

I'm going to repeat myself here and say 'please encourage people to participate'. Go out there! Explore the Scidve Cove and Aalen forest! Read through the old posts! Have a chat with Tuiln! Be merry and have fun!

EDIT:
Midsummer in 397 is roughly two and a half in game years, which is roughly a real life month from now. I really hope this wasn't too long of a timeframe, but I didn't want people to have to stress with the tasks either. Is this reasonable? Too long? Too short?

DraimanMastemaHadoryuCalipsoSessizlikEzalorPerilunaMoirean

Comments

• It is a good length, enough time for people who have other obligations to get entries in, but not too long. 

Is each numbered item a contest? I wasn't entirely sure if there was a crafting contest, or two contests within crafting.
    imageimage
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Each number was meant as a separate contest. I wrote it like that because originally I had planned for people not being able to win both contests within the same theme or some such twist, but then I thought it just seemed needlessly complicated. I suppose I should just have posted it as six separate themes or something. If six different ones are too many, I could just narrow it down to the main three competitions. There's still time to change the rules without ruining stuff for people.

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    You tell Alexina Ve'kahi, "(( That contest is pretty cool of you. ))"
    Alexina tells you, "(( I know! ))"

That made me laugh harder than it should have.  I imagined you buffing your nails afterward.
  • I think the number is fine. It is a really cool idea! I'm glad you are doing it. Just wish I'd been playing longer so I had the background knowledge to play with. :P 
    imageimage
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage

I can't even BEGIN to describe how excited this got me. Sessi (and myself) love doing research, so learning more about both the Dreikathi, religion and all the rest is just awesome. You will have at least one participant from Enorian, that's for sure. But of course I will encourage more to join too!

• Really awesome Idea Alex, it is really great of you. It is like you started your own awesome event for year 400 ^^.

Would like the post more than once if I could.