The Academy discussion/feedback thread

IosyneIosyne the Lair
edited July 2013 in Town Crier
As you may have read in announce post #2151, the Academy is currently on its trial run for the council of Duiran. The newbie-only setting for this experience is currently disabled, in order for us to obtain important feedback from the player's point of view. Please utilize this discussion thread for feedback! This is a fairly major change to the new player experience that we are very excited to unveil. Several config options that are defaulted to ON for future newbies will be of benefit - CONFIG QUESTS_ALERT ON, and CONFIG DIALOGUE ON|HIGHLIGHT.

Not a bug:
  • You will be unable to complete some sections of the Academy if you do not belong to one of Duiran's home guilds (Sentaari, Shaman, Sentinels).
  • REPICK CLASS is only available to true newbies.
Known bugs:
  • Armor awarded from Aruna's quests currently have 0 stats. 
  • Getting Academy tattoos on a fully-tattooed player is buggy. 
Planned content changes:
  • Increasing the herbs rewarded from 1 per, to stacks of 20.  Added.
AarbrokInfin

Comments

• Duiran? That isn't even a real place. You should have playtested it in Bloodloch (HOME OF THE SPIDER QUEEN).
    EzalorInfin
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I think Duiran was said to have the largest consistent population.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • Of squirrels maybe.
    MastemaEzalorInfin
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Okay dead serious, the Academy is awesome.  Super informative and for the new player will be amazing with the easy step by step lessons.  I had a blast going through it, even though I flubbed up a few parts of it, but then it got to questions and even I had to check a few AB files to remember things.  The parts in the Sentinel guild hall about history were really neat though, I think its nice to give a bit of Immersion to the new players.

Plus I got fun things, now to test if I can HANG my new DIPLOMA!

Thanks alot to whoever has put time into all of this, it shows. :)
    Infin
    Also, the Chainmail you recieve in the Academy has stats of 0 to both cutting and blunt.  I think maybe giving an average stat would be suitable, I am not a forger so I am not certain what that is.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School

I imagine the gear is intentionally bad during this trial phase so existing players don't abuse it for x gear and to see that things are in fact running smoothly.

If not, I'd have to ask why not just give quality or standard gear to new players through the quest system to start with that's strictly exclusive to that character with perhaps a shorter decay time (like a RL month)?

¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    That's actually exactly what we're doing - the 0/0 armor stats are a bug. 
    HavenAarbrokInfin
    Well thus far, you get some herbs to start, a set of tattoos, a cool council themed robe, which im actually wearing in my normal attire right now.  (Its awesome) a few curative vials, wax and candle for letters as well as a bunch of other awesome stuff, you have to be able to have your wits and answer questions, some of them I had to go look up, because im so dependent on my curing system, and recently living I really did not know, and it shows you were to look and know what cures what afflictions.

I feel like I am gushing, but the informative factor of it, is really great.
    ..and a diploma and an honors line for completion which is pretty cool.
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Active Quests:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Duiran]
      + Greeting the Guards                               nira_guards

[The Academy of Duiran]
      + ... And Carry a Big Stick                         aruna_vermin
      + Journey to the Post Office                        silpos_post
      + Journey to the Pylon                              nissyr_pylon
      + The Sentinels: An Introduction                    academy_sentinel

Which one of these is not like the other!
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
  • KaleighKaleigh The Inn
    Overall, I like it. 

I think it will help out the newbies trying to figure things out and will answer SO many questions that they may have!

Great work! <3 
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I got a bit too excited that it was teaching about Dendara, left before the Dendara quest was actually assigned, and now can't get Drehos, Oranis, or Syrtah to start me with the quest. ;;
  • I didn't get to do academy_ascendril because it's not a duiran guild :(

At the foot of an ancient, weathered stair. (Valley of the Ancients.) (27235)
    Runecaller Drehos sits atop a cairn here, his staff cast across his lap as he keeps vigil across the entry into the depths of Dendara.  A shimmering portal of verdant green yawns wide here, leading to the depths of the Vintal Glade.
    You see exits leading north, northeast, south, northwest, and out.

Runecaller Drehos raises a hand in silent greeting to Arbre, his eyes flickering back to the sprawl of the great Valley of the Ancients after a moment.
    Runecaller Drehos says, "Blessings of the ancients upon you, Beyam."

You blink vacantly, staring at nothing in particular.

The Divine voice of Someone powerful echoes in your head, "You broke it!"

You say, "Evidently!"

You say, "Hand of the Praadi = Beyam."

Arbre will now be known as Beyam Arbre Silverain.
    You will now be known as Beyam Arbre Silverain, by order of Beyam Arbre Silverain.

• Even the spirits can't deal with you.
    Worst. Shaman. Ever.
  • How do I get into the Academy to try it out? Is there an entrance we need? 

imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    ACADEMY TRANSPORT
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited July 2013
    Bugs/feedback:

- Awesome, especially having summaries of info you can get from the mobs after the tasks - can newbies still access this/these NPCs after they graduate?

- Airbeast!

- Not all mobs reply instantly. If you leave before they greet you, they'll start throwing quests at you (and magically having you complete them!) remotely.

- Asking Silpos about channels refers to the non-existent Academy channel.

- Silpos gives the robe to newbies a few stages before they have to wear it to complete the quest. if they wear it before they are given the quest silpos_robe they have to remove and rewear it to complete the quest. Kinda clunky, maybe should check for them wearing it or not hand it to them until they have the quest in their quest log

You say, "Newsroom."
    Silpos, a boisterous satyr tells you, "The news system in Aetolia consists of many newsboards... some are available to all, and others are private to organizations. There is a wealth of information available on these boards, and it can be easy to feel overwhelmed."
     Silpos' description about the news is kinda...disheartening? It should end on a happier note, like "Fret not! You can keep up to date with the current news by easily typing RN - save the older posts for history lessons!" or something.

- Quest Nira_return says "Find your way back to Duiran," but completion isn't granted until you go to her. Maybe just add "rFind your way back to Nira in Duiran" to clarify.

- Drehos didn't greet me or have any prompt to talk to him to progress in the Oranis_cairn quest  when I went into Dendara. Maybe because I've been there before?

- If you currently have the duiran_planthoppers quest, it overrides the aruna-vermin quest and nysos won't give you the academy followup quest. Leaving and re-entering the room seems to fix it.

- I don't know how hard this would be to add, but it would be kinda cool to actually go through some of the stuff reviewed/taught to the kids. Eg, Aruna talks to you about how to fight a mob - maybe have a slow-paced actual fight, with the mob attacks paused when the newbie's health drops and prompts them to sip.

- Inconsistency with terms when talking to Nissyr - PK is used at one point, while PvP is used elsewhere. Probably better to introduce both terms at the same time to make it clear they are interchangeable.

- Nissyr either has no dialogue keyed in for his follow-up prompts, or I broke him by idly clicking on various answers for my PK quiz. I clicked the other answers to see what would happen, after answering correctly and before having the quest completed and now Nissyr won't respond to keywords. :(

- Nira's navigation stuff should probably include HELP MAP in her refresher, as that contains most of the autowalk syntax and info.

- There should be some fancy splashy text when you become eligible to graduate! Or maybe there is an I broke it, but I didn't see anything. Use firework code!!!

Moirean said:
    - Drehos didn't greet me or have any prompt to talk to him to progress in the Oranis_cairn quest  when I went into Dendara. Maybe because I've been there before?
    Drehos is a jerk.  He did the same thing with me and one of the admin fought him with me until we got him working properly - I think the problem is that he only recognizes you entering from a cardinal direction, not from the special exit.
  • Oops. I'll look into that.
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    Moirean said:

- Not all mobs reply instantly. If you leave before they greet you, they'll start throwing quests at you (and magically having you complete them!) remotely.
    Putting in a movement prevention script for each bit of dialogue to address this. When players try to move before the mobile is done speaking, they'll get a "You should wait until Aruna has finished talking to you before moving along."

- Asking Silpos about channels refers to the non-existent Academy channel.
    Fixed.

- Silpos gives the robe to newbies a few stages before they have to wear it to complete the quest. if they wear it before they are given the quest silpos_robe they have to remove and rewear it to complete the quest. Kinda clunky, maybe should check for them wearing it or not hand it to them until they have the quest in their quest log
    This was a little bit of a pain, but fixed. 

You say, "Newsroom."
    Silpos, a boisterous satyr tells you, "The news system in Aetolia consists of many newsboards... some are available to all, and others are private to organizations. There is a wealth of information available on these boards, and it can be easy to feel overwhelmed."
     Silpos' description about the news is kinda...disheartening? It should end on a happier note, like "Fret not! You can keep up to date with the current news by easily typing RN - save the older posts for history lessons!" or something.
    Added.

- Quest Nira_return says "Find your way back to Duiran," but completion isn't granted until you go to her. Maybe just add "rFind your way back to Nira in Duiran" to clarify.
    Added.

This has to do with the way Dendara is entered, the mobile doesn't recognize the entrance. I added some script to the cairn to prompt the player to greet Drehos.

- If you currently have the duiran_planthoppers quest, it overrides the aruna-vermin quest and nysos won't give you the academy followup quest. Leaving and re-entering the room seems to fix it.
    This is only going to be a problem with experienced players, as new players won't have the old planthoppers quest (Syrtah was outside in Duiran before and gave it). 

- I don't know how hard this would be to add, but it would be kinda cool to actually go through some of the stuff reviewed/taught to the kids. Eg, Aruna talks to you about how to fight a mob - maybe have a slow-paced actual fight, with the mob attacks paused when the newbie's health drops and prompts them to sip.
    This is a bit outside the scope of what the Academy is for.

- Inconsistency with terms when talking to Nissyr - PK is used at one point, while PvP is used elsewhere. Probably better to introduce both terms at the same time to make it clear they are interchangeable.
    Fixed.

- Nissyr either has no dialogue keyed in for his follow-up prompts, or I broke him by idly clicking on various answers for my PK quiz. I clicked the other answers to see what would happen, after answering correctly and before having the quest completed and now Nissyr won't respond to keywords. :(
    Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what you mean / wasn't able to replicate the problem.

- Nira's navigation stuff should probably include HELP MAP in her refresher, as that contains most of the autowalk syntax and info.
    Added.

- There should be some fancy splashy text when you become eligible to graduate! Or maybe there is an I broke it, but I didn't see anything. Use firework code!!!
    I'll try to think of a good way to add this.

AlexinaInfin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    - Nissyr either has no dialogue keyed in for his follow-up prompts, or I broke him by idly clicking on various answers for my PK quiz. I clicked the other answers to see what would happen, after answering correctly and before having the quest completed and now Nissyr won't respond to keywords. 
    Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what you mean / wasn't able to replicate the problem.

Yeah, I wish I could reset it and go back to repro, but here is the log:

You greet Nissyr, an adolescent centaur with a sincere smile.
    You have received a quest! Check out QUEST NISSYR_PK for more information.
    Nissyr, an adolescent centaur gives Ariadne a hearty clap on the shoulder. "You're just about done with your task. Let's go over some final notes about player-versus-player conflict in Aetolia."
    H:5293/4762 M:5008/5053 E:121% W:109% S:100% B:100% XP:88.75% [db eb]
    Nissyr, an adolescent centaur tells you, "Player-killing (PK) is a method of conflict resolution in Aetolia. Attacking another player, or killing them, is acceptable provided you have just cause to carry out your actions. A madman who goes on a killing rampage will find not only many enemies, but also Divine retribution or Administrative punishment."
    [HINT]: HELP PK is an important scroll to read should you decide to try your hand at Player-killing.
    Nissyr, an adolescent centaur tells you, "It can be a satisfying victory, to best another in conflict. At your level of experience, you may find yourself greatly outmatched by many other players. One way to brush up on your abilities is to enter into the Arena."
    Nissyr, an adolescent centaur tells you, "There is an arena in each city, as well as the neutral city of Delos. You can participate in various events where your skills can be tested, at no cost of death or danger to your character. The arena is just for fun!"
    [HINT]: Read over HELP ARENA for more information, and HELP 17 for a list of arena events.
    Nissyr, an adolescent centaur tells you, "Combat, like many fields, is something that takes time and commitment. Practice your skills, learn from your allies and enemies alike, and keep learning! There are endless opportunities for you to improve your defensive and offensive capabilities."
    [HINT]: The HELP 13 index has many scrolls rich in information for further reading on the Aetolian battle system.
    Nissyr, an adolescent centaur says, "Quiz time! Which of these areas is considered "Open PK" - meaning, anyone can slay another player freely?"
     [*] (say) The Hunting Grounds
     [*] (say) Xaanhal
     [*] (say) The Ruins of Hashan
     [*] (say) Polyargos
    [HINT]: Take a look at HELP PK and look for which of these three areas is mentioned as being "Open PK".
    say The Hunting Grounds
    You say, "The Hunting Grounds."
    Nissyr, an adolescent centaur tells you, "That's correct! Great work. Keep in mind that if you ever visit the Hunting Grounds, to be prepared for another to come hunting for you!"
    say The Ruins of Hashan
    You say, "The Ruins of Hashan."
    Nissyr, an adolescent centaur tells you, "I'm sorry, that's not correct. Read over HELP PK and look again."
    say Xaanhal
    say Polyargos
    You say, "Xaanhal."
    Nissyr, an adolescent centaur tells you, "I'm sorry, that's not correct. Read over HELP PK and look again."
    You must wait a short while to speak again.
    You have completed the NISSYR_PK quest!
    Experience Gained: 5500 (Quest) [total: 106511245]
    Nissyr, an adolescent centaur tells you, "That just about does it for your Academy Conflict quest! You can continue along with your other Academy tasks now if you wish. You can always come back to me if you need a refresher on anything we covered here."
    say Xaanhal
    You say, "Xaanhal."
    say The Ruins of Hashan
    You say, "The Ruins of Hashan."
    say The Hunting Grounds
    You say, "The Hunting Grounds."
    [HINT]: This completes your Academy Conflict task. You can always return here and GREET NISSYR to review what you have learned.
    greet nissyr
    Nissyr, an adolescent centaur says, "I don't have any more to teach you to fulfill your Academy requirements, Ariadne, but I can certainly give you a refresher on anything you need to brush up on. What do you want to talk about?"
     [*] (say) Player Combat.
     [*] (say) Afflictions.
     [*] (say) Leylines.
     [*] (say) Firstaid and Curing.
    say Player Combat.
    You say, "Player Combat."
    say Afflictions.
    You say, "Afflictions."
    say Leylines.
    You say, "Leylines."
    say Firstaid and Curing.
    say Firstaid and Curing.
    You say, "Firstaid and Curing."
    greet nissyr
    A wry smile spreads across Nissyr, an adolescent centaur's face.
    Nissyr, an adolescent centaur says, "I don't have any more to teach you to fulfill your Academy requirements, Ariadne, but I can certainly give you a refresher on anything you need to brush up on. What do you want to talk about?"
     [*] (say) Player Combat.
     [*] (say) Afflictions.
     [*] (say) Leylines.
    say Player Combat.
    l
    A cluttered corner of the Duiran Academy.
    This alcove of the Duiran Academy is mostly intact, each of its walls standing with only a few minor imperfections. It is quite cluttered in the corners, however, with an assortment of equipment, satchels, and other necessities to the running of the Academy being stored here. A grassy clearing is in the very center of the room, with adequate space for at least a dozen people to assemble. The centaur Nissyr poses here dramatically, his tail swishing restlessly.
    You see a single exit leading west.
    west
    A quiet path through the Duiran Academy.
    The Duiran Academy is within a ruined structure of stone, part of its roof missing and giving one the opportunity to view the massive Great Oak in its entirety above. Weeds line the path, weaving around the fallen blocks of stone. A shimmering curtain of soft light hovers protectively over the entire ruined structure.
    You see exits leading north, east, and southwest.
    east
    A cluttered corner of the Duiran Academy.
    This alcove of the Duiran Academy is mostly intact, each of its walls standing with only a few minor imperfections. It is quite cluttered in the corners, however, with an assortment of equipment, satchels, and other necessities to the running of the Academy being stored here. A grassy clearing is in the very center of the room, with adequate space for at least a dozen people to assemble. The centaur Nissyr poses here dramatically, his tail swishing restlessly.
    You see a single exit leading west.
    greet nissyr
     [*] (say) Player Combat.
     [*] (say) Afflictions.
     [*] (say) Leylines.
    say Player Combat.
    say Afflictions.
    You say, "Afflictions."
    say Leylines.
    say Firstaid and Curing.
    You say, "Firstaid and Curing."
    say Leylines.
    say Leylines.
    You say, "Leylines."
    Infin
  • KaleighKaleigh The Inn
    Not sure if this is happening to the others or not, but when I got back to the Guild tutor, WAY after finishing and graduating from the academy, he greets you within seconds

"Brother Shinobu says, "How did it go, Kaleigh?"

[*] (say) I have much to learn."

That is from the guild quest after finishing the task he gives you. 

I'm sure that's not supposed to happen each time you see them -after- you graduate.. right? 

Infin
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Inesse did the same thing. Iosyne will fix.
    Infin
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Iosyne I hope that when this is rolled out to the other cities that we will also get the same chance to go threw it as well.  I noticed Duiran folks all are getting honors line for completing theirs
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    Infin
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    Okay, the Spinesreach Academy is currently up and ready for testing. I've closed the other thread in the Development sub-forum - please utilize this one for feedback and bugs!
    DraimanInfin
  • Alright, the academy looks great.  I noticed a couple of minor things going through.  I didn't get any guild quest, but I'm guessing that's not a bug like with Duiran, you only get those if you are a member of one of the Spinesreach based guilds ((Scio, Syssin, Aatabahi, or Cabalist)).  

When Tyilla talks about defenses she says she's giving you a set of armor and you should wear it.  She didn't give me any armor.  I had to use one I bought myself from a shop.

If you are undead, Garsh tells you to drink euphoric, you stick it and need a needle.  Also he gives you a few other serums that all need a needle to stick, and none of the quests reward you with a needle.  Perhaps somewhere along the way a needle could be added as one of the quest rewards?

Zed only talks about death for the living, not vampires or undead.  Others seem to have checks for you state so they have the right dialogue to say, instead of going to the underhalls and approaching the mirror, perhaps for undead he could mention reforming your body, and vampires to earthmeld?
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    edited August 2013
    The first two points are only giving you problems because you were Bloodlochian class/guild. I'm not sure that we're going to put in the checks to look for non-traditional guilds in the Academy. For the record, it isn't necessary to wear armor in order to progress in that quest. 

I'll definitely look into the needle and the death sequence explanation. 
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    The vials given have 60/50 sips in them. Didn't notice anything beyond that, but I'll need to log it and look back over it all.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"