The unthinkable.

So, I was bored today and when I'm bored I do alot of thinking. Suddenly a thought had come to me.

What if IRE shut down? All of it's games, everything.  It ceased to exist because of some financial blow up or something or nother. 

Now, while this isn't entirely something we for see in the near future, let's play a little what if.  Would you be able to handle it? Would you be entirely lost? Or would you just simply migrate into the other MUD's out there? Would you just not care, and move on with your life being glad the source of addiction has ended? 

I'm interested in how people might react to this kind of a situation, mainly because many of us have put more than a decade into IRE and grew up alongside it, basically integrating it into our daily lives.

Comments

• I personally would probably base what I do off of what the majority of my friends from this game do. I've managed to go a few months without playing before, so I'm sure if it was the end, it'd simply be that, but I'd feel tremendously bad for the folks like Daskalos and Alexina that pumped all sorts of money into a character and would literally then have nothing to show for it.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    Munsia
  • My addiction rate is kind of disturbing...105.7 weekly hour average if that thing is to believe, and none of that is afk/idle time. 
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Final Fantasy XIV.
  • Lin said:
    Final Fantasy XIV.

Those MMO's die in a year or two.
    It'd be a fun year or two.
    Munsia
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School

League of Legends.

And I guess I'd search for an online group to do some kind of D&D to sait my thirst for roleplay.

¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    LinAryanneStathan
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Until I can find another mud to play, I'd probably spend time talking to people on skype/irc, coding, and various other things I do when I tend to idle on muds.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    AryanneArbre
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    If they shut down, I'd beg them to publicly release the code and then try to continue the game on.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

AryanneMoireanAldricDraimanSessizlik
  • It would depend on how entrenched I was in any RP arcs at the time.

Well, how upset I'd be would depend, I mean. Maybe I'd try and convince people to play out the rest of arcs as well as possible on some other medium? But more likely I'd just let them wither and die like any uncompleted D&D campaign.

Overall, I'd just get more exercise, spend more time with IRL friends, and probably seek out a new MUD to get my RP fix. I play a table-top game weekly, but my group doesn't get character-entrenched like Aetolia does, and it's just so fun to flex those creative writing knuckles.

Also, I'd probably get a -lot- more sex.

• When Atonement died, I crawled back here. With Parallel, if IRE died? I would go back to CoD.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• IosyneIosyne the Lair
    I went without IRE for a few years, before. From 2006-2010 I was clean. If you had asked me this question a few years ago I probably would have just went back to WoW or whatever MMO struck my fancy. 

Today? I'd probably throw myself completely into writing and trying to get published. Between doing admin/building work for Imperian and Aetolia, I've improved tremendously.
    HavenEzalor
  • I've wandered off from text gaming entirely for long periods of time. I don't have the same attachment to it that I used to when I first got entrenched. 

I'd probably be more devoted to getting a regular board gaming/tabletop gaming night happening. I've been -massively- craving it but too lazy to make it happen, since my current social group is mostly casual board gamers and would rather pull out MTG than play Arkham Horror (for example) with me. They are tabletop gamers but they all have ADD with it and no game seems to last longer than a month. 

I'd get more work done on my creative writing projects. Bread-and-butter writing gets done, but the creative writing time seems to get sucked up by MUD gaming. 

I have spent a fair amount on IRE games, primarily Imperian, but I justify it by looking at the hours of playtime I got out of that investment versus my console gaming days. I definitely got more value out of the dollars thrown towards Matt and Jeremy. :P So there would not be any real remorse there. It was fun while it lasted. Mostly.

imageimage
    Aryanne
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Probably see what games my friends from Aetolia ended up wandering to and joining them over there. Luckily, a lot of us are in contact enough OOG that we can probably get a nice, fun group somewhere else and start anew.
  • If IRE shut down completely, I would probably actually bother to finish coding my own MUD! (Although, it would still be a sad day!)
    Stathan
  • Daskalos said:
    If they shut down, I'd beg them to publicly release the code and then try to continue the game on.
    For the sake of argument and curiosity, let's rule out this possibility.

I feel as if everyone here is being extremely level minded, are there really no Everquest incidents here?
    If you're asking why none of us are screaming and undergoing convulsions at the thought of Aetolia shutting down... I mean damn, I think only @Erzsebet has it that bad.
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    I'd probably use the time to finish writing the novel I've started. Alternately, I could go back to school for a PhD.
  • edited July 2013
    Lin said:
    If you're asking why none of us are screaming and undergoing convulsions at the thought of Aetolia shutting down... I mean damn, I think only @Erzsebet has it that bad.
    IRE in general.

I say this because many of the long-life IRE users habitually gravitate between each game out of familiarity
  • edited July 2013
    fml double post
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    s...stupid IRE. It's not like we like it or anything.

Lin
  • I'd just spend all my time on Shangrila.

Munsia
  • Vharen said:
    I'd just spend all my time on Shangrila.

Shh, we can't talk about this out loud.  
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    edited July 2013
    So out of curiosity, were you actually interested in what we'd do, or do you just want to make the point that you think a lot of us are addicted to the game? It's sort of coming across like you don't quite believe everything people are saying, so I'm not sure why you would ask if that's the case.
  • edited July 2013
    No, I was generally interested, and looking to see if anyone was crazy to the level of what @Lin said, which may almost be as accurate for myself as well. 

I play 3-4 games at one time and not having IRE fill those slots would kind of suck. However if a large portion of my friends moved to the same MUD I may consider it as well, however I'd be devastated til then.
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    I'd actually accomplish things after work.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    EsperAryanneAldricAngweRivas
  • I'd be forced to find a hobby that more of the general populace could identify with.

... That doesn't sound so bad.
    Rivas
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I'd be really sad, because I'd lose a way to interact with a lot of people I really like.
    MunsiaAryanneDraimanRivas
  • I would watch the other half of the netflix library that I skipped over in the year I quit.
    RivasValenae
  • StathanStathan Hot springs
    Lots of LoL, and likely lots of forging. Given I'd have time to find an anvil finally.