Suggestion: prisons

JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
What if during a raid you die to a guard/security aide and instead of waking up at the mirror you find yourself trapped in that cities prison instance for 1 ic month. You'd have the option of escaping through a quest line, surviving with the inmate mobs or other players for that month, or suiciding to leave. Thoughts? (Obviously disable wings/amulet, portals, ect...)
XeniaStrung

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited June 2013
    What if you died due to your mapper being confused? How will the game determine what a raid is? I'm not saying I dislike the idea, but I think we'd need to adjust the current raid mechanics before something like this could go in - then again I think we could use some changes to the raid mechanics, anyways.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I don't mean raiding specifically, dying to a guard inside a city or security aide would trigger it. The consequences aren't severe enough for it to be a burden on the few mistakes that happen. I'd also like seeing it used as an alternative to a bounty it s prerequisite to being unenemied.
  • I think a prison would be awesome. It would be nice if every once in awhile, for RP purposes, rather than get killed outright, folks are dragged off to prison, then ransomed or put through a trial for their crimes.

But then again, the old RP log of Cilsen escaping prison in Kelsys by finding a key in the straw is one of my favorites.

imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • As long as we get torture devices and restraints!

Lin
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Oh man. Dibs on the prison roleplay. Piper would always be in there for public inebriation, haha!
    Lin
    Note to self, immediately kill cellmate before it gets weird
    Setne
  • edited June 2013
    I like weird. But you three up between me and ...me? Well, you're awesome, freakies, and I'd definitely kill my cellmate too!
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Meyvitch said:
    I like weird. But you three up between me and ...me? Well, you're awesome, freakies, and I'd definitely kill my cellmate too!
    ... what
    Setne
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Someone let him have the prison drugs! Oh god!

No,in all honesty, I'd love to see something implemented like this as long as there was a cool down before there was a way to escape.
  • +1 for prisons, especially with an interesting questline to escape.
    Piper
    I'm thinking like 10 rotating questlines to escape. either bribing guards, staging riots, fashioning keys, ect...
    SessizlikPiper
  • Shackles and interrogation play aside for the moment, I wouldn't say the idea is bad outright, but the devil is in the details. It could easily sway between something pointless and something that griefs people out of the game.

The lightest implementation would be as a substitute for death. I'd imagine, instead of killing the person, you capture them and return them to the city's jail. In exchange for losing less experience, the person would be confined for some time somewhat longer than a normal death. If it's just "You die, *and* you have a prolonged 'death'," it's going to annoy people. If it's an instateleport and the prison sentence is the same length as death, there is little in the way of facilitated RP. So, need to make one of the negatives lighter to up the other, in interests of balance. People will still do it if it's not balanced, but not as many.

As for the "getting out" part, dunno.

AtrapoemaHadoryu
    I envisioned this instance where based on your circle ground (newbie, mid teir, endgame) the mob difficulty changes and you have to work your way through a challenging experience.  Maybe fight someone on the level of the creature beneath tiyen such as a dungeon master or jail keeper to get a key, maybe do a series of quests to get out, or serve X amount of time and released like leaving the pit.  If you're impatient just suicide.  This would prevent raiders from regrouping too quickly, add a new dynamic to rp and enemy statuses, and possibly a unique instance/fame line opportunity.  Who wouldnt want the fame line "has successfully escaped the Ironmaw Prison"
    MacianXenia
  • I'd like too, if there were an option for interaction with the city you're caught in.

GuardCaptainBob yells, '"Moirean has been captured in the city limits, and transported to the prison cells."

[city leader/council member/security aide/war aide/person of high city rank goes to the room outside said cell.]

[RP HERE.]

"Pah," sneers Moirean, spitting on Person through the bars. "I have nothing more to say, you're clearly too thick to comprehend my genius. The chicken wire was a nice touch, though. Is this cell just for imps?"

*THUMP* Person swoons, clutching instinctively at their head.

"Commander!" calls Toz. "Shall we?"

Moirean and Toz skip out of the prison and abscond in a cacophony of impish giggles, her wily conversational skills having distracted Person until her allies could arrange exit.
    MoireanXeniaAarde
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    ...I approve if only because of that scenario.
  • Maybe prisons are different if security or war aides are aroind. If theres no aide or an aide doesnt go and interact, there's an instance escape (weak guard unable to take adventurers gear. You overpower/trick them and so you fight out in full kit). If they do interact theres RP oppsbetween the players and the prisoner has the option of surrendering and facing time (which leads to an unarmed instance escape where you recover gear) If they dont, the aide has to go in the cell to disarm them. 1v1 fight ensues. Prisoner is knocked out cold when they lose (or kill the aide and escape via the armed instance). Knocked out cold ends them in the unarmed instance escape.
  • I like the idea of this
  • I uh ... is this some kind of a joke? :(

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Although I believe that this is an example of an RP idea without a lot of thought given to mechanical and gameplay repercussions, Ilyon, you really oughta explain a question like that.
    in what way am I not thinking of mechanical/gameplay repercussions?
  • Vharen did a decent job of explaining that.

It's nice in theory, but  once it becomes encoded has a very high potential of becoming a tedious, aggravating enforced mechanic that forces you to go make a sandwich while you wait for the timer to tick down. Not fun. 
    imageimage
    AtrapoemaLin
    It adds actual consequences for attacking guards that have the options of being rp'd, a unique dungeon crawl, or suicide and make a sammich time.  Guard death isnt a common enough occurrence for it to become tedious and if it is, might make people think twice about raiding because they are bored.  It's not much different of a concept than imperian having that "hell" area where you need to gather coins to return to life, I'd just like to see the concept expanded upon to become interesting.
  • edited June 2013
    Guard death isn't a common occurrence already because the action itself causes very little effect other than tediousness on the Security aides that have to replace guard. Adding in this to the negative side without making a guard's death do more will just cause people to raid even less than they do today.

Also, after dealing with the coin gathering stuff, my god I really would rather not have that. Our death is so much nicer! =p

Not to mention that I don't really envision a prison in the trees...
    Minarael
  • I don't see any reason to discourage people from raiding because they happen to be bored. Some people happen to enjoy it, much like others enjoy RP.

Now, if the argument is that fixing the damage raids cause is tedious and unappetizing, we should instead be working to fix that. Fix the problems, not the symptoms.
    Moirean
    the idea isnt to discourage raids it's to enhance the rp aspect of the realm, provide cause behind character actions, bring around more consequences to follow through, and add depth.  I want it to be a vast improvement to the imperian thing and a challenge to players regardless of level.  If you really don't want to do it it doesnt tick on much more time to necrosis right after a line saying "While $player's back is turned, a $cityguard clubs him/her/you behind the head and drags them/you off.

You hazily come to, and realize you're in $org prison.

From there you can necrosis and make your sandwich with 5 seconds added to death time.  Explore, kill inmates, fight the jailer/dungeon keeper who would be tough but not impossible, or rp being in prison till the counter ticks.  There's the potential for a lot of interesting stuff to do I'm just purposefully being vague because I had hoped other people would add creative insight instead of picturing a longer version of the mirror.
  • I understand wanting to expand the RP aspect of the game, but this game already has a low amount of conflict mechanics outside leylines, and I'd hate to see anything discourage that even further. Being here mostly for the conflict, this would basically just cause me to avoid even bothering with raiding all together.
    Atrapoema
    Picture a group of 7 raiding lets say bloodloch since they have a prison and your and my characters are from duiran.  Eventually our group goes down and we all meet up in ironmaw.  the npc's inside ironmaw are most likely going to either be guards or duiran/eno POW's, and with our group and npc's we can activate a mini ciem style event where our group of 7 attacks the guards and kills the jailkeeper so that all of us escape without xp loss of death.  If you dont want to do that just begin necrosis, if the short amount of extra time it takes to respawn in the death pylon turns you off from a raid, you probably werent very serious about it.
    Atrapoema
  • I have to agree that while, on paper, this sounds like a neat idea, it's one that the execution of would inevitably be flawed and detract from the experience, rather than add to it. Especially after the first few times of experiencing it.
    MinaraelArbre
    Atrapoema said:
    I have to agree that while, on paper, this sounds like a neat idea, it's one that the execution of would inevitably be flawed and detract from the experience, rather than add to it. Especially after the first few times of experiencing it.

You just described the game
  • I didn't, but that's an interesting perspective.