Events

2»

Comments

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    I think that's my thing, Corlin. When 99% of the -players- are saying one thing in regards to racism and the -mobs- of Enorian are supporting the other side, I see an issue. That make sense at all?

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• edited June 2013
    First off - thank you all for the feedback.

The negative reaction to the event is understandable, and I think we can all agree that it has been mishandled. Certainly, it's not a fun event for many of you, and that needs to be worked on.

To that end, I want to suggest a shift in focus: given what has occurred so far, how would you change the event, at present, to make it more entertaining and fun? Failing that, how would you resolve it? What sort of events would you like to see for Enorian in the future?

i am rapture coder
  • edited June 2013
    Events that help to define and align the focus / purpose of an organization are good - but I feel that said events should focus on the strength and cohesion that can be found in organizations, and certainly makes them more appealing to be part of. Even if an event -does- cast some shadows and shake things up a bit, the ideal goal of said event is to reaffirm that, despite some setbacks or disagreements, we're all there under the same banner.

An event that sows dissent and creates schisms isn't going to be fun for players or characters, because it's really difficult to find the balance between keeping the peace and being seen as forcing the masses to conform to your personal viewpoints - while I personally feel that events that make a person question their convictions and take a stance for or against whatever it is they are or think they want to be can be really good, I also feel that events that pit A against B inside the same organization can't really be helpful - there's already the 'FIRE FIRE RAH RAH' zealot side, with the more temperate 'those undead are lame' factions inside Enorian - but as I've stated, I feel that there's a lot of people already on the same page.

I don't really have a specific answer to @Omei's inquiry, but I'd say giving them a real bad guy to come together and work against would be much, much more preferable to taking mobs that are in Enorian and saying 'I hate this other piece of Enorian.'

Edit - totally forgot some entire words in there.
    Omei
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    edited June 2013
    For the current event, making racism the central conflict is a problem because it's not something you can just resolve, and amongst the NPCs, it likely won't ever go away. But if anything's been made obvious, the player characters have all pretty much stated in one way or another that the city doesn't tolerate racism. One resolution would be to have all the racist ones leave the city and form a colony or something like Columbia in Bioshock Infinite - if they don't like the orcs and ogres that much, but the city doesn't tolerate racism, it's entirely possible for them to just leave if there's enough of them. It 'resolves' things to an extent, but also leaves it open for them to come back as recurring opposition, which is something Enorian or its guilds could focus on.

The event following the murders could also be turned into a murder mystery or something. Have citizens trying to figure out who's responsible and why, and have them work with the constabulary organizing stakeouts to catch the killers.

In regards to events in Enorian, one thing I'm pretty sure people are tired of seeing is event resolutions where it turns out everything was a ploy from some outside party like Chakrasul or Severn - or anybody - and have them going 'lol, you're all so stupid. I tricked you! Thanks for doing all my work for me, suckers!'. It happens so much that anyone who's been in Enorian for any length of time comes to expect that kind of ending and either go along with the event knowing that it'll end that way or don't participate at all. Those kinds of endings feel like a huge cop-out, and isn't at all satisfying for people who do get involved.

For future events, focusing on constructive things rather than destructive or divisive things seems a lot better. Give people in Enorian a chance to strike out at evil, corruption, and undeath, or focus on other co-operative elements.

Have pirates or some other marauders trying to siege the city because its location by the sea makes it a good trading port. Or in a similar vein, you could also have places being interested in establishing trade.

Enorian also has a museum. Could have an archaeological society or whatever that goes hunting for artifacts a la Indiana Jones. Or maybe NPC artists wanting to display their works.

With the introduction of sludge, there also opens the idea of drug smuggling or sludge addiction being a problem, and having the constabulary trying to crack down.

Bottom line: events that make people feel like they're actually contributing or feel like they're doing something interesting go a long way. Make people feel like they're actually making a difference and co-operating instead of forcing wedges between citizens.
    OmeiSessizlikCalipsoDaskalosBenedictoRivasKerryn
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Something with the outlying villages perhaps? There's a bunch of places that fall under Enorians "domain" but they're rarely visited, a reason to do so would be brilliant and depending on the event could be used to stimulate one or another of the various Ministries.
    LiancaCalipsoSessizlikPhoeneciaOmei
  • I'm not an enorianite, but surely there could be something done, perhaps to invite the orcs and orges to rebuild and vitalize Jaru again?

...I miss playing hunt the kitty. (Maybe I should go to tasur'ke, eh, @Jasmyn?)

imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*