The Shamans

ArbreArbre Arbrelina JolieBraavos
I almost hesitate to put this here, but I'd really like tips on how to improve my guild (all both of us).  Haern's done a LOT of work on the lore and the guild as a whole, and I'm not doing it nearly enough justice.  I'm trying hard to delegate and get things out, but, as always, school > Aetolia.

Anyways, please post on what you see is good AND bad, from insider or outsider.  The Shamans have a LOT of potential, I just have to figure out how to tap into that.

Comments

• I.. can't really give you any pointers or an opinion, because apart of the problem is that.. the Shamans aren't very out there in the world. They're quiet, I don't -ever- hear -anything- about them, and know of so few. 

My suggestions for the one thing I can point out is to be more out-going and social as a GM, with people both in Duiran and in other locations too. The more well-known and talked about it is, the more chances things will improve through the membership.
    Angwe
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Nola's got it. Be an outward, extroverted, crazy GM. People will love you so much they'll flock to your guild.

And quit whinin' about people flaking. You've got to carry the whole thing on your back until people care. It sucks, but it's worth it.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    The biggest problem with carrying it myself is dividing my time with school.  I don't want the Shamans to fail (more) because of me, but school is more important than Aetolia, and there's no one better to replace me.  That's a cross between more whining and the truth of things.  That's why I'm asking for tips.  I might take you up on that crazy GM thing though, Lin.  Thinking about it, I might be able to swing it easily and properly.  Thanks.
    To clarify what I mean, too, you've basically got to become the living embodiment of the Shamans: what you want to see. The Arbre take on the ideal Shaman. And you have to be gregarious. Don't be a Shaman in front of people. Be a Shaman at people. Shake your weird voodoo censers around, write paragraph emotes about your cool masks, and interact with your weirdo animal spirits. You guys have a cool guild! It needs promotion, and for people to care. Show us all how awesome it is.
    Nola
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Everyone has already posted my opinion.
  • edited February 2013
    I really -love- the kind of guild, lore-wise and all that, that the Shamans are. I've always liked that kind of idea, and I think that you have a great deal of unused potential at your feet that you can use to your advantage. The RP scenarios and opportunities are endless. If things are as they are right now, then, you can only go forward. 

With school being restrictive, I understand that. My advice is to then make a list of things you want to see, and how you want them to happen - like things you think would be a great starting point, or improve the quality of the guild's atmosphere. Don't even try to do it all at once, thats too much. One thing here, then another thing and so forth, work at it bit by bit, but have goals in mind, have a general idea and plans. But really, the main thing is becoming extroverted. Awesome Shaman RPz should be a good and plentiful way to entice and excite the masses.
  • I've actually pondered joining the Shamans for a long, long while now. I want Illidan to embrace Shamanism and every aspect of it, since he's an OG Druid. One of the problems that I was facing recently (and please don't take this the wrong way, because I don't mean it negatively) is the whole "We wear masks to instill fear into our enemies." bit. Sibatti and Seir already kinda ran the whole mask wearing thing into the ground, so to me, it's just going to come off as "Lol been there done that." I'm trying to ponder whether or not I should just do it anyway. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    You can do it without making a big deal of the mask.
    Arbre
  • Lin said:
    You can do it without making a big deal of the mask.
    Well yeah, I thought about that, and it makes sense. But I really want to emphasize being a Scarecrow type like from batman, and really do scary type of things. The mask plays a big part of that because Shaman masks are hideous as gently caress. Made of flesh, bone, etc.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    Forget what others have done and just do what entertains you?
    Azrael
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I've come to consider the mask thing a Duiran tradition considering the Sentinels dominated Duiran culture for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised really if the Bahkatu or Sentaari took it all up too. It's a cool and distinctive feature for the city in my opinion.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Lin
    That's no joke. I recall at one time, we had Sibatti, Kiyotan, Isto, Lin, Laefin, and Seir all wearing masks. And I know there were a few more. It was just considered what you did as a Duiranite.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    edited February 2013
    Still rawkin' the mask ova here! I'm a huge fan of quirky cultural traditions and Duiran is a hotbed of potential.
    Bump.