Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• Did I just miss the custom enter/exit artifact this time around?

Three auctions and I don't remember seeing it, and I was sort of looking forward to trying for it.
  • Realizing way too late that things are what they are and there's nothing I can do about it except give up.
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

@Corlin - They didn't offer it this time.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Gone through and anchored like all of my triggers, but CMUD is still locking up or freezing badly in team combat or even during bashing sometimes. Going crazy. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make it work better?
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Moirean said:
    Gone through and anchored like all of my triggers, but CMUD is still locking up or freezing badly in team combat or even during bashing sometimes. Going crazy. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make it work better?
    Why not just switch to Mudlet or MUSHclient? :<
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    SetneLinArbreHadoryuPerilunaKiyotan
    I hate when people give that answer. Being snarky isn't helpful.
    LinAryannePerilunaKiyotan
    I don't know why you're having issues, Moi, because I don't have that issue at all. :( What's your computer stats, maybe CMUD is just overtaxing your hardware?

"If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

edited May 2013
    First, sorry Haven. Didn't mean to snap and I realize how bitchy I come across. Dying to your system/computer/client derping up is annoying. I don't switch because I have like...a decade worth of settings and I don't know lua aside from some derpy WoW addons I've made (and from what I hear, it's not the "same" lua in mudlet - not sure how accurate that is). Trashing my settings and learning a new code language and having to sit for hours to relearn how to do the basics is just going to drive me nuts. I tried that when I went to Lusternia - where I didn't have any settings! - and I got frustrated sitting unable to fight and play while I figured out code. I don't have the time for that in my Aet playtime atm with the positions/duties I have IG.

Re, CMUD - I don't have the best computer, but it handled zmud better than this, so I'm thinking that I've got some weird quirk going on with CMUD that I just have not pinpointed. For example, running very basic #forall scripts completely freeze me up for like 15-30 seconds. 

Example script:

#forall @shopcache {
      shopinc %i
      price cache %i 1 shelf 1
      }

With shopcache being a variable with like 20 values. I am wondering if I have bad coding methods slowing things down because a lot of my settings were imports from zmud? Are there any particular (outdated?) syntaxes that add horrid choppiness/freezing? I know CMUD has different and more optimal syntaxes but I think I've managed to track down most of those. 

I'm not seeing any huge demands in memory use if I check task manager. It's around 40-50k normally and goes up to 70k when it's in the process of freezing or crashing. Thing is, I raid in WoW and my computer can handle that, albeit on low graphics as I can't afford a graphics card. Memory use from WoW is usually around 800k. I figure if my computer can handle WoW, it's probably robust enough to handle CMUD? I might be completely wrong here, as I'm not very clever about computer stuff.
    That's just odd. cMud can be very memory intensive, but I just don't have the lockup issues you do. Have you tried running the Citadel GUI without any of your scripts to see how it responds? That would at least narrow it down to whether it's cMud or your scripts. What I do to check parsing times is I speedwalk through 2 locations far away and see how fast it responds. It's not as good as combat lag but it's a close approximation.

I've determined that an increase of items in the room add slowdown. Might be related to gmcp?
    Very possible. You could try removing 'Room' from the GMCP properties.

@Moirean, yeah I wasn't trying to be snarky. I've heard nothing but bad things about CMUD tis why I asked. But I understand your plight of not wanting to switch over.
    havenbanner2

• Daskalos said:
    Very possible. You could try removing 'Room' from the GMCP properties.
    Mudbot is the one negotiating GMCP modules.
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Having a trash computer is likely the big culprit. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • Have you cleared Cmud fully from your pc and all related files. I had an issue with it last year and it was a bunch of bad files causing issues. Once I remove everything and reinstalled a clean setup it worked fine. Not saying you have the issue I had but it could be worth a try.

Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
  • I. HATE. ARTIFACTS. THAT. GIVE. THE. ABILITY. TO. FUNDAMENTALLY. CHANGE. COMBAT. STRATEGIES. OR. INVALIDATE. THEM.

I especially loathe them if they are "unique" auction artifacts, as they tend to give the most stupid effects and there's always the chance they become regular artifacts later.

All those artifacts that make you "immune" to stuff that you otherwise have no way to be immune to (web, arrows), all those artifacts that give skills a random chance to fail when they would never fail otherwise (so long as conditions are met), all those artifacts that give you class abilities that you should not have in your current class.

Why? Why can't combat be balanced around not having those artifacts and those artifacts not existing? While people will likely always complain about web spam, it won't ever get looked at cause there are *drumroll' spider boots! And since people complain about arrows now there is an arrow immunity artifact! Cheers! But how does that balance these skills? Imho, it doesn't.

All those artifacts do is widen the gap between what people 'get' in terms of (class) skills and what would be possible if you tossed thousands of bucks at the game. It widens the scale that needs to be balanced and it makes balancing it as a whole more difficult. Example: What do you balance stun times around? Shorter durations may be completely ineffective against people with the artifact, longer ones might cripple those without. And if your class offense relies on stun to be effective, then what (not saying that any class -should- rely on it ya know)? Or what if your offense relies on a certain skill hitting, but then there's this artifact that makes it randomly fail, where will you be?

What all these artifacts do is lower the glass ceiling, the point at which you MUST get artifacts yourself to have a chance at all. It -forces- you to invest ever larger amounts of cash to compete, and not for the higher echelons of combat but also for the mid and eventually lower tiers. It's a spiral spinning ever onward.

And it doesn't help balance at all. In my very personal opinion, in any game with PvP content, any endgame player of any class with NO artifacts should at least stand a -chance- against any endgame player of any class WITH artifacts. That's what I'd consider balanced. It's fine if artifacts influence how big of a chance that is. But no matter how many artifacts someone possess, it should never fall into the realm of "next to impossible". I know Aetolia isn't there. In fact, I can't think of a multiplayer game that is. But I also don't see how those artifacts help the situation any, they just worsen it.

<sarcasm>
    On that note, how about the next auction artifacts are along these lines (all of them with 'can only be used x times per month restriction of course blahblah):
    -) Makes you completely immune to any insta kill ability (including deliverance) for x seconds.
    -) Gives you the ability to craft and activate singularities (or whatever it's called now).
    -) Gives you a chance of 5% of evading a BBT performed on you.
    </sarcasm>

PS: The first sentence is a rant. The rest is opinion, really. It's also not about the arrow artifact. This has been building and I felt like grumbling. ^_^
    HadoryuHavenAngweEzalorAtrapoemaIllikaalAoiveaeLuthienSeir
    Because they have to create something for people like me and Alexina to buy since we already own everything else, of course.

xD Dat arrogance!
    havenbanner2
    Daskalos
    TBH, I like the types of artifacts which add extra strategy and options to combat. I don't think being able to do archery or sting loki suddenly makes you more powerful. It just gives you more options to incorporate into your combat. If anything, I'd say that these types of artis do relatively little compared to the straight tanky/damage increase arties.

That being said, some of the new choices are not appealing to me at all and I greatly dislike them. To me, combat is about give and take, with high level fighting being about countering tactics people throw at you, and artifacts like the ironwall ring or the anti-shield casting thing put a roadblock in that by creating firm conditions which can't be countered.
    IlyonTzaMastemaPerilunaMephistoles
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Daskalos said:
    Because they have to create something for people like me and Alexina to buy since we already own everything else, of course.
    you two are no longer the only ones, fyi.  *wink*
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I don't even buy any combat artifacts.

o.O
  • Alexina said:
    I don't even buy any combat artifacts.

o.O
    Truth. She just buys up parts of the world, starting with her Island.

In 50 years she'll own the place and Abhorash will be paying her rent for Bloodloch.
  • Notsomuch the day when all your vials decay at once...but the 2-3 days when you get a handful of messages every few hours, letting you know that they're going 2-12 at a time.

I MAKE ALL MY VIALS AT ONCE, HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE??!?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

Lin
  • Varied decay rates make me a sad panda.

When one of my vials decays, I check the whole lot, and probably chuck them, because I hate logging in to system messages about decay.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I give mine out to newbies so frequently that they never decay for me.
    Moirean
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Arbre said:
    I give mine out to newbies so frequently that they never decay for me.
    TIL: Arbre shifts all her near-decay vials to nublets to troll them.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    AldricHavenOrisaeAngwe
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited June 2013
    I mean I have been RPing well enough to get unenemied to Enorian, and havent raged much about it at all in game because I dont see the point in getting upset if it is truly someones RP.

However the excuse for me needing to wait a 5 year term to be considered for unenemying me to Enorian whilst I am part of Duiran and the Sentaari is a bit much, when I see Akimoto and Xemnas both inducted into Enorian over a vote, as well as inguilded there.

The reasoning, I was a servant of Niuri.
    So was Xemnas
    Akimoto was Her champion.

When I ask to divulge further, I was compared to Jirken, the NPC and considered high risk.
    Not because I actually had done anything to the Enorian people but moreso the fact I had questionable RP.  I mean I know its what you gotta do, politics and the like, but when your reasoning flip flops depending on the person its hard to take you seriously.

See ya in 5 years though Eno :P
    Im having too much fun to mess it all up, sorry to disappoint.
    DaskalosEmelleAtrapoemaCiarelleRivasPeriluna
  • AlistaireAlistaire Las Vegas, Nevada
    Aarbrok is not being unenemied because he tortures and experiments (tortured and experimented?) on innocents and children. The fact that Aarbrok was Niurian matters about as much as the fact that she used to be a boy. The Heralds don't care, at all. Whoever told you it was for being Niurian was incorrect.
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Oh its fine, I mean its already done and decided and everything.  I dont care so much just was going by what I was informed in various discussions.  Knowning that now and OOCly no less doesnt really mean much to me.  I guess thanks though. 

I just noticed that a problem with communication between others was a downfall I saw when I would talk to different people of Enorian in regards to my status.  Some just said a 30k fine, some said no because of Niuri, others because of experiments, which to be honest have never really been done in game, just RP I put on for the most part, so word of mouth I suppose. Never any solid proof I would have done them.

I just think that leadership should have better communication in general
    Thank goodness Daingean took the time to Rp with me, even though he apologized it took a while he was really nice to talk to and deal with.  Even though the both of us were somewhat distracted I was appreciative of it anyways.
This discussion has been closed.