Albedos: Q&A

Comments

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    @Haern: Would our Explorer Rankings be reset upon the "official move" to Albedos?
  • Belakai said:
    Where is the island all the dwarves are deported to before subsequently being tortured?  Is it the one right below the pillars of Dusk?  Because that one looks a little too tropical and nice for them.

Also, is there room for my mass graves?

Dwarf forum profile pic month? I think yes.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    LinAngwe
    Aldric said:
    Belakai said:
    Where is the island all the dwarves are deported to before subsequently being tortured?  Is it the one right below the pillars of Dusk?  Because that one looks a little too tropical and nice for them.

Also, is there room for my mass graves?

Dwarf forum profile pic month? I think yes.
    FALL IN, LADS.

(Dorfs in both the avatar and signature, what's up)
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    We're making this happen.
  • edited February 2013
    Hi ho!

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I can get in on this.
  • Lin said:
    @Haern: Would our Explorer Rankings be reset
    I'd actually prefer to see new ranks added with the release of the continent.
    LinAldricNola
  • Do the Dreikathi have a caste system?

Are there Zweikathi and Einskathi?

(It seriously made me wonder when you mentioned the Vierkathi..)
    LinAita
  • Njiran said:
    Do the Dreikathi have a caste system?

Are there Zweikathi and Einskathi?

(It seriously made me wonder when you mentioned the Vierkathi..)
    Yes.

Razmael and I were wondering when people would notice that.
    Lin
  • I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but has a rough time line on all of this been made public? Just curious about the waiting time.
  • Azrael said:
    I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but has a rough time line on all of this been made public? Just curious about the waiting time.
    The Celebration of the Stars will begin, hopefully, around the end of the month. Following that, you should begin to expect new events concerning Helba, the Pharos at Delve, and some other exciting things all very quickly. (barring that work doesn't destroy my soul, I come home and just pass out)
    Azrael
  • That is awesome! Appreciate all the hard work that you've put into the project over the course of the years. Looking forward to it a lot!
    Aldric
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Haern said:
    Azrael said:
    I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but has a rough time line on all of this been made public? Just curious about the waiting time.
    The Celebration of the Stars will begin, hopefully, around the end of the month. Following that, you should begin to expect new events concerning Helba, the Pharos at Delve, and some other exciting things all soon. (barring that work doesn't destroy my soul, I come home and just pass out)
    ftfy
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Are there Undead in Albedos?

Is there magic? 

Are they allowing immigration/Aetolians to sneak through and live there?

Do they monitor our comings and goings through the portal? 
  • edited May 2013
    Areka said:
    questionsquestions
    Great questions, @Areka!

@Undead: yes, but very much unlike our own. They make no differentiation between our undead and living. You can speak to the cult of Muadi in Delve's Wards for more information on that. They're quite ambivalent with our petty squabbles. The Grecht undeath is very close to the Albedi undead.. uh oh, did I just give a hint to something NOT about Albedos? OH MY.

@Magic: Ho ho, yes, but only the Dreikathi wield it as we do. Utilizing magic is INCREDIBLY difficult if you don't have the Dreikathi technology on Albedos. A good question and there's some damn good reasons for it.

@Immigration: No. Nope. Never. They've got enough refugees, they don't want more mouths to feed or people causing trouble in their city. They keep one hell of a close eye on that portal into their city. The Eld'akathai helps with that.
    OrisaeYusriAngweAreka
  • TzaTza
    edited May 2013
    Why is the port city of Delve as big as it is empty? And it is very big.

It just feels like this area is huge just to be huge. But it's not like the rooms are actually filled with any meaningful content. There's absolutely nothing there. There's a hallway that spans 10+ rooms, just going forever in one direction - Why? And that's what the entire area is like.

You could probably fit all of the NPCs on Sapience in that one city. Then it -might- feel like every other room has a purpose. At the moment however I'm not sure what to make of it and this city really does make me wonder what the rest of Albedos will be like in terms of area design.
    edited May 2013
    Haern's stated that Delve needs another redesign. I agree though, I like the compactness of Sapience's mapping scheme, and don't think we should deviate from that.

To clarify: We've always stuck to a "rooms can be as small as a closet or as big as a span of highway" convention, and I believe that confining significant features to their own single room is a great way to cut down on map clutter, to keep areas from being confusing to navigate, and to overall allow builders to come up with more interesting things to cram into areas, instead of just blowing up a smaller area into a larger one.
    AldricBenedictoEmelleTza
  • edited May 2013
    The only part of Delve designed under my watch was the Wards and tackling Delve in the proper way is something that weighs heavily on my mind. Once more areas begin to come out, you might see some downsizing for Delve.
    BenedictoTza
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    on the flip side, I -like- the size of Delve. It feels 'realer' to me, so I dunno. Sure, it could use some more flavor, but something that big just says 'yea, this is one of the last holdouts against Drakkenmont and it's monstrous because there's a -lot- of people here'

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

AngweEsperTeani
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited May 2013
    If it had mobs, it'd actually feel like that. Personally, for me, in order for it to feel like a place is bustling with activity, there needs to be both mobs and echoes that reinforce that image. Right now, it feels more like a ghost town (I realize that it's not, but it kind of feels like that).
    HavenPerilunaLianca
  • Thanks @Lin and @Haern. I'm quite relieved that Delve isn't meant to remain in its current incarnation.

I have no problem with Delve being 'huge', I just find it should be a meaningful, populated and interesting version of 'huge'. A single hallway that consists of 10 rooms going in -one- direction with descriptions pretty much repeating just isn't that (just as example).

Thanks for clarifying! :)
  • Do we really have to get rid of Sapience in moving to Delve? I feel it would screw with a lot of folk's history. I like the idea of everyone living on Delve, but occasionally voyaging to Sapience for reminicising. Plus it gyps out all the folks who are just starting out who never get to explore it.
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
    Moirean
    Meyvitch said:
    Do we really have to get rid of Sapience in moving to Delve? I feel it would screw with a lot of folk's history. I like the idea of everyone living on Delve, but occasionally voyaging to Sapience for reminicising. Plus it gyps out all the folks who are just starting out who never get to explore it.
    Of course it would screw with history - that's the point, I assume.

It's going to be a horrible and tragic event, no matter what ends up happening, and those characters who once lived on Sapience will be haunted forever. It does screw with things. It does gyp people. That's the point.

As for new players, consider this: Sapience could fit into Albedos several times over. They're not missing out on anything, exploration-wise.
    AtrapoemaTeaniPeriluna
  • I honesty thought it was going to remain as a place that could be returned too! That does make for some serious RP :(
    Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
  • TzaTza
    edited May 2013
    Or everyone ends up dying when Sapience is destroyed. The few refugees either die or are killed when the people of Delve refuse to accept refugees. ... ... and then there's suddenly this mysterious birth boom on Albedos and all those 18 year olds will be very knowledgeable and 'capable' in terms of skills and have rich parents who put artifacts into their cradles. ;)

Seriously though, I do wonder how that's going to play out. Since it has been said the people on Albedos (or just Delve?) don't like refugees at all.
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    They probably won't have much choice and we'll have to gtfo and forge our ways as best we can out in the wilds of the mysterious new continent. That, or, think District 9.
    OrisaeTzaAxai
  • Benedicto said:
    That, or, think District 9.
    Enjoy your catfood.
    TsvanniCalipso
  • edited May 2013
    He IS catfood
    KerrynXavinAngwe
    Sure, they say they don't take on refugees.

When the refugees are a swarm of endgame, artifacted badasses and other players who can't take "no" for an answer? I think it's going to play differently.
    TeaniBenedictoMastemaPeriluna
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    we have proven ingame that them Aetolians is dead killy.