Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Phonebre is having a difficult time posting, but the problem comes in (and not just with you by any means) not with what your rage or intent is, but how you CONVEY it. Make forums a positive place, not a haven of sarcasm and vitrol.
    MoireanOrisaeMephistolesPeriluna
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    edited May 2013
    I don't know how to convey it aside from "Noncoms talking about what is and isn't stupid/hard about combat pisses me off, because they have no idea what they're talking about." Because that's exactly how I feel about it. It's not sarcasm. It's not vitriol. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    MissariHaydyn
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I... uhh. Don't understand why @Illidan's rage is being flagged as 'troll'.

Illidan said:
    Lol @ complete and utter noncoms talking about what is and isn't hard/stupid about combat. 
     I can understand people disagreeing with it but flagging the post? He's not naming any names. He's not badgering anyone vaguely. What exactly is wrong with it that you lot feel needs to be moderated?
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    HaydynIllikaalNolaCiarelle
  • If I had to guess, it was that his post came right after a few people discussing combat-related things. It'd be like following your post (@Haven) with 'I hate when mods are retarded'. No context makes it seem, at least on first read, as directed at the person who posted before you, even if that isn't necessarily the case.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Tza
    edited May 2013
    So based on your logic @Toz, who in that previous discussion was a noncom? Because it obviously wasn't directed at Arbre, since she posted after I did.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    There is also the issue of people using the rage thread to basically get pot shots at people when they can't do it IG, often because of the ignore function or because they'd be pretty blatantly OOC. Using this thread to post rages immediately after a fight or an argument essentially kills the "vague" and "undirected" point of it. So does referring to things people have said in posts elsewhere - the rules shouldn't just be about not naming names if it's clear the posts are directed at specific people through context and implications.
    AmaraKonnornAryanneLunaTzaValenae
  • I have no idea, and I didn't mark you as a troll for the comment - maybe the assumption was you were referring to Atra. Or Angwe, or Luna, or any number of people who contributed to the conversation.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

• You caught me. I'm the non-com. Curse you, Illidan, for calling me out!
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    I'm not a noncom. I'm a damage-sink :p
    Toz said:
    I have no idea, and I didn't mark you as a troll for the comment - maybe the assumption was you were referring to Atra. Or Angwe, or Luna, or any number of people who contributed to the conversation.
    Or it could have just been a legitimate rage that was placed into the fray of the conversation at hand that had absolutely nothing to do with the conversation itself, much like Sarita's rage. Some people just like to make the assumption that someone's rage is directed at them, when none of the people in question had nothing to do with the rage itself. 
  • Which, again, was exactly my point.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Sarita said:
    I rage at people holding leadership positions while blatantly not playing the game (ie, unranked from not logging in.)

"(censored) spoke with me before taking a leave of absence, s/he has an Aide taking care of duties until s/he returns." makes the entire thing look like favoritism. If that aide is doing all the work, there's absolutely no reason to not rearrange the leadership positions.

With the risk of threading the line of metagaming, I would like to say that if you notice something like this, please try to raise some awareness in the city. I don't think it's acceptable and I'm sure there're others that agree.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Word choice matters as well. There's a difference between:

"Lol @ complete and utter noncoms talking about what is and isn't hard/stupid about combat. "

and 

"Noncoms talking about what is and isn't stupid/hard about combat pisses me off, because they have no idea what they're talking about."

I grump at the ad system in game making me actually have to pay attention and check things, rather than conveniently listing how soon until I need to renew like design list does. Curse you and shakefist and things!
    ArbreMephistolesAryanneTzaLunaValenae
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    @Alexina:

That response was one of the results of trying to raise awareness ICly.
  • edited May 2013
    Rage at how much difference that five percent change to warmth seems to have made on my ability to tank everything.

Before, I could still do Xaanhal / Tiyen without a blessing - I had to get a red amulet and a red ylem orb, and make sure to use vigor, but I could do it.

Now? If I don't get really lucky with crits, I'm dead to things that before never moved me below 2k health.

I'm an endgame character with trans minis and a few artifacts that all help me tank better (con, enhancement, sip bonus) and yet, I can't really go into the endgame areas by myself anymore, where before, my biggest trepidation came from the weird knots in the lowest level of Tiyen.
    Mastema
    I really wanted that chocolate box and then I got outbid.

Again.

:(
    edited May 2013
    Areka said:
    Word choice matters as well. There's a difference between:

"Lol @ complete and utter noncoms talking about what is and isn't hard/stupid about combat. "

and 

"Noncoms talking about what is and isn't stupid/hard about combat pisses me off, because they have no idea what they're talking about."

I grump at the ad system in game making me actually have to pay attention and check things, rather than conveniently listing how soon until I need to renew like design list does. Curse you and shakefist and things!
    There isn't one, except how it was worded. It's still raging about exactly the same thing, and therefore doesn't make the rage any less legitimate. People nitpicking about how someone words their rage and assuming it to be trolling is completely subjective. Combatants would otherwise completely agree with it, whereas noncoms or circlejerk combatants wouldn't. 
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Sarita said:
    @Alexina:

That response was one of the results of trying to raise awareness ICly.
    This is a VERY common practice within a certain city....
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Alexina said:
    I really wanted that chocolate box and then I got outbid.

Again.

:(
    #onepercentproblems
    IllikaalAngwePerilunaRivas
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount

You squint your eyes and look out toward the south.

South of the glowing core of the Great Oak.
    Sap weeps from a giant sugar maple that towers over much of the plantlife in this section of the wood.
    DUIRAN
    "So angsty, even our trees are emo!"
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    EmelleLinSetneAtrapoemaAngweTeaniStathan
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    My lack of motivation to progress any of my character arcs.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    KiyotanAmara
  • Kiyotan said:

You squint your eyes and look out toward the south.

South of the glowing core of the Great Oak.
    Sap weeps from a giant sugar maple that towers over much of the plantlife in this section of the wood.
    DUIRAN
    "So angsty, even our trees are emo!"
    That's not Duiran, that's just Haven using the new Syssin camouflage skill.
    KiyotanDevinHavenArbre

Lin said:
    #onepercentproblems

Wow, Lin. You're so cool and awesome and cool and stuff!

:)
    MastemaValenae
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Hipsters: 1 | Bourgeois: 0
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    AtrapoemaMissariIllikaalLinStathan
  • Getting bloody "server capacity" and "service unavailable" errors all the time today. Getting logged out of my account periodically as a result. Oh and posting is a pain in the butt as well. It's like russian roulette. SOMETIMES it works. Maybe.

WTH is up with the forums? :/
    MoireanAngwe
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Tza said:
    Getting bloody "server capacity" and "service unavailable" errors all the time today. Getting logged out of my account periodically as a result. Oh and posting is a pain in the butt as well. It's like russian roulette. SOMETIMES it works. Maybe.

WTH is up with the forums? :/
    http://status.vanillaforums.com/

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    AryanneHaydynTza
  • edited May 2013
    Personally I think taking issues of forums harassment and belittlement with a 'grain of salt' has adverse affects on the community, including our retention rate. However, with mods being both peers with stake in the game and (even if that wasn't true), mods having limited enforcement, I don't see them making a profound impact socially. 

I rage at learning to code in Lua. It's been two days and so far all I've gotten is a fixed auto sipper. Other than reading forums I've never spent so much time glaring at my computer. 

EDIT: I also rage that there's no 'ignore' feature on forums. 

EDITedit: In what Areka posted the two comments have different social implications and expressions, @Illidan. The first comment implies that you occupy a greater social position and are speaking down to noncoms while using your frustration as a weapon. The second merely conveys your frustration, painting both positions (of com and non-com) as equal, just one is less informed. 

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

LinYusriAtrapoemaIllikaalCalipso
This discussion has been closed.