Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• I.. like bashing.

When I take a newbie bashing, I take them for five or six levels, show them an area, and let 'em loose.

I never take a lowbie to endgame areas.

-

Rage: mobs that run when you hit them. This is especially terrible for classes that have comboed attacks. A half a dhuriv attack is nothin'. They should run when you enter the room, and stay put once you've started hitting them.
    Lin
  • StathanStathan Hot springs
    Corlin said:

Rage: mobs that run when you hit them. This is especially terrible for classes that have comboed attacks. A half a dhuriv attack is nothin'. They should run when you enter the room, and stay put once you've started hitting them.
    Try doing this as a monk....with icewalls up...and they just walk through them.
    Sarkis
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited May 2013
    Re: @Haven (in regards to levelling up newbies)

I'd never powerbash a player that is completely new because it'd just put them far ahead of where they're supposed to be on the learning curve. People that are low level but know all the important stuff already is complely different in my opinion - they're either alts, experienced mudders, or come from other IRE games - and it never really occurred to me that they might be missing out important things (and the last person I did it with literally asked me to take them bashing). No one ever taught me any quests (there were like three active members in my guild when I joined, Avian, Matadartice, and Daskalos, and Daskalos was almost never around), so I had to go around trying to find places to bash. It wasn't that bad because I kind of enjoy bashing, but it certainly did not feel like I was going around trying to discover an exciting world, mostly because my excitement when playing muds comes from interacting with other players but also because it looked a lot like Achaea which I was already familiar with.
    HavenTeaniCiarelleEmelleMoireanAoiveae
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    I agree with Alexina -- I don't think there's any reason to powerbash a truenewb too much because of the learning curve of the game. Personally, though, I don't know how much bashing has to do with immersion; I actually think of bashing as one of the most OOC elements of the game (it's not even something my character would have been especially motivated to do a lot of the time). Most people don't spend a lot of time really getting into descriptions of bashing areas or thinking about their layout or anything like that because they're just in it for the XP, and possibly the "joy" of system-building. Many of those areas aren't a place a player will ever visit again once they've achieved endgame.

I do think making major geography/lore an integral part of guildreqs is important, but I don't know how well bashing lends itself to that particular goal.
    Sarkis
  • 80 to 92 sucks. I have 3 end gamers, and every time it is the same. Plus, if you want lore, you will go find lore. Pressing f2 isn't gonna get me lore, and you can always go back and quest later

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

EmelleLinArbrePerilunaMephistolesAryanneEzalor
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    The ABSURDLY high amounts of fire alarms that keep going off during combat, every time I start to gain ground. I can't be arsed to actually learn Templar to engagelock people. I should probably start on that soonish. I've just always hated venom combat. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    The game told me not to execute that command right now! I was just doing what I was told to!
    Musta been right before the fire alarm went off.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • Will you two just make out and get it over with already?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

ValenaeAngweTza
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited May 2013
    @Illidan: Look. I have you on ignore in game for a reason. Coming to forums to insult me and circumvent that ignore is petty and rude. Please stop.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Move on.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • Raaaugh. Freezing up at RP because I didn't know if I should ignore the apprentice system and do something unconventional or not. Want to buy passing on lycanthrope class such as vampires do. :(
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Soon.
  • edited May 2013
    To whoever thought giving each weapon multiple messages (six for rapiers, something ridiculous like sixteen for scimitars) for Templar DSK was a good idea: yah, you're the very definition of Satan. I hope you're happy with yourself.
    AlexinaStathanMoireanLunaValenaeAngweDaskalosEzalorIllikaalMissariTza
  • It honestly isn't much of an issue seeing as we have affliction view, limb damage view, and the discerning a layer of venom has rubbed off your weapon line.
    Illidan said:
     if you ever see me killing someone (newbies especially) it's because I've had good reason to do so
    AtrapoemaMastemaValenaeAngweIllikaalMissari
  • It certainly is an issue when you're trying to cut down on combat spam.
    LunaMissari
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Feeling like an utter nub when there's no one there to help me along(read: holding my hand).

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
  • Atrapoema said:
    It certainly is an issue when you're trying to cut down on combat spam.
    Call me mad, but I like having diverse flavour messages in. It's alright that you don't, and I empathize with people requesting a simple_combat_messages config option, but raging about diversity of combat messages being some sort of abomination that should be stomped out seems pretty silly. Flavour text should not be removed from the game just so you don't have to gag it.
    Illidan said:
     if you ever see me killing someone (newbies especially) it's because I've had good reason to do so
    AngweLuthienAmaraPeriluna
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada

Luna said:
    It honestly isn't much of an issue seeing as we have affliction view, limb damage view, and the discerning a layer of venom has rubbed off your weapon line.
    It -is- an issue because the discerning a layer has rubbed off your weapon thing isn't reliable. It doesn't show which hand the venom came off from (so you might miss with left hand and hit with right hand, but then if you're just triggering off that message it might register the left hand venom) and it has quite a few bugs. It used to be that whenever your opponent hit rebounding it would give that message (I -think- that's been fixed) and there was another bug with it that I can't quite remember right now.

So we do have to go off the weapon messages, and I am infinitely thankful that the generic slash ones only have 2-3 unique messages. Templars have the hard life.
    LunaAtrapoemaIllikaalMissariAmara
  • edited May 2013

Ezalor said:

Luna said:
    It honestly isn't much of an issue seeing as we have affliction view, limb damage view, and the discerning a layer of venom has rubbed off your weapon line.
    It -is- an issue because the discerning a layer has rubbed off your weapon thing isn't reliable. It doesn't show which hand the venom came off from (so you might miss with left hand and hit with right hand, but then if you're just triggering off that message it might register the left hand venom) and it has quite a few bugs. It used to be that whenever your opponent hit rebounding it would give that message (I -think- that's been fixed) and there was another bug with it that I can't quite remember right now.

So we do have to go off the weapon messages, and I am infinitely thankful that the generic slash ones only have 2-3 unique messages. Templars have the hard life.
    Fair point- always going to cause more tracking issues for anyone wielding two weapons, especially if they're identical in design. Seeing how easy it is to track venoms coming on/off for a single weapon user, it might just be preferable to alter the venom line to show which venom has been delivered. I don't see that causing any major issues myself, aside from making affliction trackers slightly easier to code, and Templars' lives easier in particular (seeing as they're the only ones still using dsl/dsk-style attacks).

edit: The rebounding bug with discernment was fixed a while back, and there are no other unsolved bugs reported on it. If someone should run into any issues, bug it.
    Illidan said:
    Ezalor
    Sentinels suffer from the same issue, bro.
  • Sentinels don't use two weapons. You don't have the left/right problems Templars have.
    Illidan said:
    Ezalor
  • edited May 2013

Just about every other ability has a single message and that seems perfectly fine for them.

Hell, it would've been so much more convenient if DSL/SSL messages could just come down to:

You swing your lightsaber at Bigoledoorknob, slicing into him!

For your next attack, you swing your lightsaber at Bigoleddoorknob's left leg, slicing into him!

You swing your lightsaber at Bigoledoorknob's left leg, but your attack rebounds back into you!

For your next attack, you swing your lightsaber at Bigoledoorknob's left leg, but he deftly parries the attack!

etc.

DaskalosAtrapoemaMissariTzaHaven
    @Luna, I was refering to venom tracking off discernment. We use double weapons, so if you track venoms that way, you run the risk of being dodged or parried and having your system track the wrong affliction.
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited May 2013
    Angwe said:
    @Luna, I was refering to venom tracking off discernment. We use double weapons, so if you track venoms that way, you run the risk of being dodged or parried and having your system track the wrong affliction.
    No, it's much much easier for you. Just track which two venoms are on your weapon and in what order, tada you've solved dodge/parry/whatever.

Templars have to envenom two unique weapons which makes it infinitely harder to track. And then you need multistate triggers to track which hand got dodged (another huge annoyance cause dodging still gives you the generic weapon hit message), to account for both hands if you don't have two unique designed weapons, there are a lot of other problems too.

@Luna I am like 99% sure there is a bug, because after that changelog went in I was like yay I can use the discern message! Then I found something wrong with it in a few minutes of testing so went back to using weapon messages. I can't quite remember what it is right now...or maybe I'm just crazy.

And infinite yes to seeing what venom rubbed off (if I can find whatever the bug is that I thought I found and get that fixed too...). That solves dodge AND multi-weapon users' dilemmas. Yes yes yes. YES!!!!!!!!!! Even just having something like "you discern a layer of venom has rubbed off the weapon in your left hand" would go a long way.
    Luna
  • Luna said:
    Atrapoema said:
    It certainly is an issue when you're trying to cut down on combat spam.
    Call me mad, but I like having diverse flavour messages in. It's alright that you don't, and I empathize with people requesting a simple_combat_messages config option, but raging about diversity of combat messages being some sort of abomination that should be stomped out seems pretty silly. Flavour text should not be removed from the game just so you don't have to gag it.
    I never said any of that.
    AryanneLunaHavenIllikaal
    edited May 2013
    Lol @ complete and utter noncoms talking about what is and isn't hard/stupid about combat. 
    MissariCiarelle
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Leave Bigoledoorknob alone! !
    MastemaLin
    edited May 2013
    Don't know why you're flagging my rage as trollery @Arbre. It's a legitimate rage. If someone came onto your job that had no idea what they were talking about, and had the nerve to tell you how to and how not to do your job, wouldn't you be pissed off?
    Aryanne
This discussion has been closed.