Movies

So, I have access to Netflix, occasionally a Red Box, and a lot of spare time - seen a good movie? I'd love to hear about it. Wasted two hours of your life? I just did too, let's complain together.

I was talking about movies with Barda yesterday, and he threw out some interesting ones for me to see, figured I'd check things out on the forums as well - what movies do you guys like? Dislike? Want to talk about? All I ask is that you spoiler stuff that's a spoiler.

I just got done watching Stake Land. Basically it's Zombieland but with vampires instead of zombies. And not funny. There's also no character development, I only barely knew what the main character's name was, and the ending was more confusing than profound - if you want to watch sociopaths fight vampires, then this movie is A++. If you want plot, emotional content, interesting characters, or sparkles, then this movie probably isn't for you.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
(Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Comments

• EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Getting Square is pretty excellent, though I don't know if you'll find it on netflix. It's sort of a heist movie, but the real draw is it's so spectacularly australian that the DVD comes with a slang translation guide. Also the lead role is played by the same guy who was the lead in Avatar (the space furries one).

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited April 2013
    Oh, I am a netflix addict.Gonna go down my watched list and say some of my 5-starred:

For drama
    Moon (sci-fi, <3 you so much Sam Rockwell), 
    Andromeda Strain (sci-fi/medical, but I'm a sucker for Crichton's storytelling), 
    the Animatrix (animated shorts based on Matrix universe),
    Edward Scissorhands (favorite movie ever), 
    Being There (deep, poignant, bittersweet, Peter Sellars' last movie), 
    Vatel (1700s france, Gerard Depardieu, he's awesome in everything), 
    The Dark Crystal (classic fantasy Jim Henson),  
    Cool Hand Luke (awesome script, amazing performance from Paul Newman, wtf eggs), 
    Dangerous Beauty (courtesans in 1600s Venice), 
    Amadeus (tied with ES for favorite movie, Mozart bio),
    Rosencranz and Gildernstern are Dead (Hamlet, turned on its head, very quirky), 
    the Fall (ok, also a tie for favorite movie, simply stunning and poetic)

For action/adventure
    Arn (medieval knight stuff), 
    Reservoir Dogs (tarantino), 
    a Knight's Tale (more knights!), 
    Ichi the Killer (very violent about the yakuza, based on a manga), 
    Mongol (story of Ghengis Khan's rise to power, filmed on location, gorgeous), 
    Last of the Mohicians (Daniel Day Lewis being awesome. And hawt.),
    Boondock Saints (just watch it if you haven't)

For comedy
    Trainspotting (well, it's kinda comedy. Shockingly, none of my friends have seen this, whaaaat), 
    Tucker & Dale vs Evil (omg Alan Tudyk I will have your babies please), 
    This is Spinal Tap (one of the original mockumentary movies),
    Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, 
    Dr. Strangelove (dark farce, Peter Sellars being brilliant),
    Raising Arizona (Cohen Brothers + Nick Cage's hair), 
    the Big Lebowski (the dude abides)

For scary: 
    The Orphanage (beautifully filmed), 
    the Omen (probably my favorite scary movie), 
    Cube (very wtf-ish)
    Let the Right One In (vampire movie, done very very well)

For heartwarming: 
    The Natural (baseball movie), 
    Starman (sci-fi/romance, a young hawt Jeff Bridges's butt omg), 
    Stardust (fantasy, based on a Neil Gaimon story), 
    Penelope (quirky little fantasy love story), 
    Timer (cute sci-fi rom-com), 
    Whale Rider (Maori girl's coming-of-age story. With whales)

Also: Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense - best concert video ever!

For TV shows, if you haven't watched Arrested Development, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Psych, Portlandia, the IT Crowd or Spaced, those are all on netflix, and I think they are pretty funny.

Ok, gonna stop here because I listed soooooo many. Sorry!

If you want a WTF movie, watch Zardoz. You get to see this:

• @Moirean:
    Edward Scissorhands
    Boondock saints
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil
    Cube

So much YES! Omg I love these movies.

I can also add in:
    Flying daggers (Ninja style from Hong Kong. Most beautifully shot movie ever.)
    Vampire's kiss (Nicholas Cage turns Nosferatu, or so he thinks.
    If I could get vampire fang prostetics in Aetolia, this would be my next character inspiration.)

Moirean
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    effing Zardoz.

The gun is good! The penis is evil!

Moirean
    I grew up watching the great sci-fi classics like Logan's Run, Rollerball and Clockwork Orange, so I put on Zardoz thinking it would be one of those great classic movies like those. It...was...special.

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Shawshank redemption - Top movie since the first time I saw it. Great if you want drama.
    The Illusionist - Very nice plotline, makes use of your brain.
    Perfume - One of the more twisted movies I've seen in my life.
    Dude, where's my car? - Just for the lols
    Sweeney Todd - Because awesome, twisted movies with Johnny Depp is never wrong.
    Ironman - Robert Downing Jr, mmhmm.
    Despicable me - animated, hilarious and cute. "It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!"

Seconding @Moirean's Stardust, Trainspotting, A Knight's tale, Boondock Saints (hell yeah), Edward Scissorhands, and Amadeus.

Moirean
  • I've been marathoning Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Battlestar Galatica. Cloud Atlas was fantastic and I think you can get it at a Red Box, I'm at work or I'd look it up. Either way, its worth watching. 'She' is free on hulu and/or youtube and its really good if you like black and white movies. I'll post more later. Thanks for posting this thread, i'm excited to see what other people come up with.

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

Solaria
  • If you want a movie that will make you uncertain if that was really good or really bad and you're not easily offended:

Tokyo Zombie

Comedy. But OMG. Just. OMG,
    (Netflix)

• There's a movie I saw ages and ages ago called... The Legend of 1900? About a piano player born and raised and died on the same 1900's passenger steamship that never once set foot on land. I can't find it anywhere
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • I just watched Skyfall. I am a hardcore Bond fan (Connery or gtfo) but I rather enjoyed it.

Pulp Fiction - Best thing ever filmed.
    A Clockwork Orange - If you haven't seen it you should see it.
    Reservoir Dogs - Buschemi's best role.
    Full Metal Jacket - Second best thing ever filmed.
    Chosin - This is a documentary. If you are interested in military history, this is a must watch.

...I just realized as I was making this list it's a Bond film, a war film, Tarantino and Kubrick. Wow.
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Shut upbre."
    Arbre Aquila dur Naya says, "Yessir."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "I'm a lady!"

Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Yeah cutscene kicks in."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Watch our awesome CG."

Senior Administrator Veritas says, "I grove ever stronger in the presence of Alastair!"
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Grow*."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "No druids here."
    edited April 2013
    Oh, I forgot this documentary - randomly put it on to watch to fall asleep to, and I was transfixed. Beautiful, ugly, stunning and eye-opening. It's called "Life in A Day" and it's a  documentary based on crowd-sourced submissions from all around the world.

You can watch the whole thing on netflix or youtube:

• Food, Inc. If you eat food in America, watch it.

Senior Administrator Veritas says, "I grove ever stronger in the presence of Alastair!"
  • I highly suggest Jiro Dreams of Sushi. While it deals heavily with sushi, as one can guess, it also touches on some keystones of Japanese culture and the familial bonds.

And Ken Burns has done some of my favorite documentaries, so I recommend his documentaries on two amazing periods in American history: Prohibition and The Dust Bowl. These are extremely long documentaries, so strap yourself in if you have a love of history.

Moirean
    Oh right... and don't watch Legion. Completely wasted my time. I could have studied boring articles for Uni/cleaned my apartment instead and enjoyed myself more.

• Oh, and I forgot! I finally got to see Moonrise Kingdom and absolutely adored it.

CiarelleEsper
  • Seconding The Fall. Absolutely stunning movie, also one of my favorites! Though, I think sometimes Netflix lists two or three different movies of that title, the one I'm thinking is directed by Tarsem Singh.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is also a Netflix gem. The synopsis sounds a bit ridiculous, but it is one of the funnier movies I've seen in a while!
    Moirean
  • I'll be tracking down a lot of these over the next few days, just need exam prep done first - started watching Arn and enjoyed it, love soldier-y stuff. Not so big on horror, but I have seen Tucker and Dale vs Evil, and it was great. Cannibal: The Musical was also pretty good in a bad way, no one has suggested it yet - we used to have bad movie night in high school and we watched that, alongside some...truly awful movies. I'll go through and throw out a list of movies I liked when I get some more time, thanks for the suggestions so far!

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Trial by Fire: A Carrier Fights for Life

During Vietnam, a series of fluke accidents caused one of the missiles in one of the on-board aircraft (it's John McCain's aircraft, and at one point you can see him jump out of the cockpit and get away from the jet as fast as possible) to misfire onto the USS Forrestal.  This video is taken from all of the cameras they have on deck, showing their six hour fight for life.  They're monochome and a bit grainy, so it's not like you're seeing blood splatter or anything, but the fact that you see six people fun forward, an explosion throw them back, and only two get back up..  The whole video is traumatizing.  They show it at boot camp before firefighting week to basically show us how important the training we're receiving is.  It's probably the most emotional thing I've ever watched.
    Like soldier-y stuff? If you haven't seen already, watch:

We were soldiers - Mel Gibson. Pretty amazing really.
    Black Hawk down - Also a good one.
    Behind enemy lines - Love this one.

I don't have netflix myself, so I can't say for sure if they're up there, but they should be!

• edited April 2013
    War Movie? Best one is without a doubt La vita é bella (Life is beautiful), an italian Movie about ww2.

King of Hearts will forever be my favorite war movie. It's an insightful comedy about a soldier who ends up in a town that has been evacuated, leaving the (harmless) residents of the insane asylum behind. They get out and return to their lives pre-institutionalization and then he enters the town, none the wiser. Amazing portrayal of the absurdity and insanity that can exist in war.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    They wouldn't let us go outside and watch thre fireworks on the Forth of July, but the did let us watch Blck Hawk Down that day in boot camp.
    Alastair
  • Haha @Arbre my first day in the DEP for USMC my recruiter had us watch like the first 30 mins of FMJ, but they stopped before Pyle wastes DI Hartmann.