Aetolian Combat

1235»

Comments

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Haedyn's AI actually tracks your parry patterns too and abuses it. Some people have insane levels of automation.

For some classes like Praenomen it's almost mandatory to get full use of the class since you have to contemplate at the start of every combo. You don't want to set your attack until after that contemplate has gone through and given you their mana levels. There's also the matter that to get the most out of your affs you don't want to set your affs until the very moment you're able to attack to see what they cure.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited April 2013
    Oh, well I think anyone with absolve/annhi has a contemplate switch in their basic attack.

I should sit and adjust my venom setup to be more effective - eg instead of just hitting xentio/vernalius, it'll switch in a kalmia if the target has cluminess, or whatever. That seems fairly do-able and it'll probably be a priority when I decide to care about combat again.

I can't even imagine how you'd begin to code parry tracking. I spend a lot of my early offense probing at limbs to figure out individual patterns for parry and pre-resto. Obviously there is human error going on (hey my head gets cluttered!) when I try to mentally translate what I am seeing to what the source pattern for that is  ...a system doing that, with coded precision, would be...wow.

Upon writing this, it occurs to me that I should probably try lycan or monk. NFI why I've never touched either.
  • Ezalor said:
    For some classes like Praenomen it's almost mandatory to get full use of the class since you have to contemplate at the start of every combo. You don't want to set your attack until after that contemplate has gone through and given you their mana levels
    That needlessly slows you down. Much more effective to add queue eq/bal comtemplate target to the end of the combo - you lose no time then.

#alias {contspam} {#forall @warenemies {contemplate %i}}

That lazy alias got me like...10 levels worth of xp on my Lumi. >_>
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    edited April 2013
    My problem with lycan is remembering my aliases.

Oh, you wanted to mangle the left arm? Well that was your mangled left leg alias, sorry. You just wasted a bit of balance while they cure the break.

@Moirean: I know a large number of players have fully automated offenses. They go hit a button and go grab a sandwich or something. Some of them even have the combat know how to back up their AIs when you throw a wrench in it.

edited April 2013
    Serrice said:

@Moirean: I know a large number of players have fully automated offenses. They go hit a button and go grab a sandwich or something. Some of them even have the combat know how to back up their AI's when you throw a wrench in it.
    That seems nuts - what would be the point of fighting? (Other than obvious xp cheesing that I mentioned above, but I don't really consider that combat)
    edited April 2013
    I guess they just like the satisfaction of either tinkering with code, or if they're just using someone else's AI, getting that You have slain so-and-so line. 

Personally, a smart envenomer and some togglables for stuff like auto impale and auto jawlocking are about as far as I'll go in the offensive automation department.

I thought I might put some automated stuff in when newSents came out. The first skill I tried to code in automation for was floorsweep. I asked Sibatti to trip me to test it out. 5 minutes later...
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    I told you to use the same setup that I use, and Aisling happens to also use (because it makes sense.) 

MLL= Mangle Left Leg
    MRL= Mangle Right Leg
    MRA= Mangle Right Arm
    MLA= Mangle Left Arm

Exact same thing with destroys, except swap the M with a D. 

@Moirean: Some people joked about it. Others were serious. Haedyn probably has the best automatic ANYTHING in the game right now. He has all of the afflictions categorized neatly into a folder, and based on what class he's in, it will select the delivery method. For example:

If he's starting his v-lock aff combo, he starts with Paralysis/Stupidity. Templars deliver it via dsl (with w/e weapon.) Therefore, his offense selects 'delivery by dsl/venoms' in a sense. However, if he were a Luminary, it would do the angel battle/chasten (whatever it is luminaries do) on top of the third aff that he is able to deliver according to the stack he was going for. 

He has successfully written a fully automated Luminary, Templar, and Teradrim in which all he has to do is push a button, and watch people die. I believe he's still working on an auto Vampire that will put anyone else's to shame. The guy is nuts. And by the guy, I mean Tina. She coded it all for him. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    Piper
    It's hard to remember! My fingers go places they shouldn't! D:

Now you know why I just always shatter. >_>
  • Kaeus said:
    Some classes certainly benefit more from an auto-supported offense as well, namely affliction heavy classes. I can't imagine trying to do Syssin manually without having good affliction tracking in helping me make active decisions on dstab, hypnosis, and sleights. 

I do usually also make my offense able to be adjusted to try different methods of attacking with an easy swap so I'm never stuck to just one strategy as well. Even for non-affliction classes, my system will always respond faster and execute an attack than I would be able to do manually. Considering I'm always trying to beat balances, it seems like a necessity when fighting truly good curing.
    Having tried to run Lycanthrope manually, I have to say automating it fully was the best thing to do. Granted, I tented to break my offense every once in a while, by adding additional kill routes, but the speed and intelligence a full automated lycan AI can achieve was breath taking. I sat back in a freeforall one day and just watched it auto aquire targets on entry/being attacked and went to town. It held it's own since the start of the FreeForAll until it was forcefully cancelled. Really need to re-write that AI. 

That said, I can see most class' offense being automated, but there are a few where it doesn't seem to make sense. Case and point would be Indorani who are just a pain to play in general. 
  • Fight off your numpad for limb classes, if you have one. 8 is a head, 5 is a torso, 4/6 are arms, 1/3 are legs. Then you have 3 whole other number buttons to put utility/extra stuff on. Ctrl+8 or whatever is what I use for the 'heavier' hits - mangle/or destroy, for instance.

Unless I'm in Carnifex. Then every button just throws my hammer.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Moirean
  • Serrice has wolf?

edited April 2013
    Ah. I've just hooked my contemplate onto an able_attack function then triggered my attack block off that.

On the one hand, I don't -think- it has any slow down. On the other hand, I'm still learning to crawl in all this and have no idea what I'm doing :D.

I haven't actually tested it at all since I'm still spamming macros while trying to figure this all out.
    edited April 2013
    That's what I did, kinda. I made my attack alias basically a contemplate and class enable/alarm disable, and inside that was a trigger to attack or absolve, based on what math I got from the contemplate. There was no visible delay, and I'm sure you could clean that up even more these days (since that was coded on zmud). The issue with queuing after your attack is that, unless you also queue the attack with it (which you can't with the game's internal queue system), you're giving yourself a much wider window where the target might sip before your attack goes through. I am assuming you are manually entering the attacks after each bal/eq, maybe it's something you could automate, but like I've said, never tried that. This means you can waste a round trying to absolve when they are above the threshhold. 

/tangent
    Damonicus said:
    Serrice has wolf?
    Yes. For the mudsex. 

#Bahkatuforlyfeyoloswag
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    SerriceAarde
    edited April 2013
    Illidan said:
    Damonicus said:
    Serrice has wolf?
    Yes. For the mudsex. 

#Bahkatuforlyfeyoloswag
    You know who else has a wolf?

Relandroc.
    Xavin
  • Can we please let that one stomach-turning incident die in our memories? D:

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    So we should talk about Erica, Christina, and a pair of shoes then?
    IllikaalMoireanLinEzalorAngwe
  • edited April 2013
    I couldn't imagine how much one would be senselessly reapplying toxins and whispers/dstab/etc that the target already has as an affliction class if you don't automate your afflictions based on what the opponent currently has.

And people that can capably code in Imperian kill really really well with aff classes. Gbot is good, it isn't perfect, and there is far more to intelligent defense and mitigating either damage or affliction pressure than just curing reliably, but specifically taking lag out of the equation and giving everyone access to a good baseline has made combat there consist of far more people than at any given point before autocuring. That's just a fact.

E: I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be implemented here at all, just trying to clear misconception. I personally like maintaining my own system again after being spoiled by nothing more than some aliases and simple toggles for my char on Imp.
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Shut upbre."
    Arbre Aquila dur Naya says, "Yessir."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "I'm a lady!"

Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Yeah cutscene kicks in."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Watch our awesome CG."

Senior Administrator Veritas says, "I grove ever stronger in the presence of Alastair!"
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Grow*."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "No druids here."
    Some people manual to a certain extent, with what's called smart envenoming. 

However, I just 100% manual (which is why I don't use templar) when it comes to limb classes, and Shaman. 
    Alastair
    I don't think it's so much about reapplying. In my case, I just have way too many combo aliases and use them based on what the target has, based on my (admittedly bad, combat feels way more spammy these days) own mental tracking. A refinement would be to simplify these and partially automate the venom choices based on affs, eg switch in a different kelp stack venom. Lanira's UI included an aff-tracker, so I like the idea of using that for more precision.
  • edited April 2013
    My offense tracks what the opponent heals, tracks what it delivers, and I have several different queues. One for tlock, one for sticking reckless/maso, one that takes into account disloyalty for ent classes, etc etc etc. I press a button to run the event, (I have them bound to my function keys), corresponding to the lock queue I want to pursue and it applies affs (both weapon and whisper) in the appropriate order as they are prioritized in the event. I was thinking about making a simpler one for teamfights that focused on sticking unblind for mesmerize xfix, but I haven't gotten around to asking if that's worth it or really what I should be doing in teamfights, so I just spam my lock or reckless queue >.> (because I'm dumb)

E: Grammar

E2: @Illidan - and for a limb break class that's pretty much cool, or one that doesn't really have so many options for what affliction to deliver next. I played an athletic dk for years and just used highlights and aliases and vivisecting the unicorns out of people. That kind of manualing I know and love but I'm trying to do this affliction class thing for once and this is the most optimal way I can really think of.
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Shut upbre."
    Arbre Aquila dur Naya says, "Yessir."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "I'm a lady!"

Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Yeah cutscene kicks in."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Watch our awesome CG."

Senior Administrator Veritas says, "I grove ever stronger in the presence of Alastair!"
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "Grow*."
    Senior Administrator Veritas says, "No druids here."
  • I'm Malok, I've played MUDs for 15-16 years or so now, and I approve Moirean's message. 100% agree.
    "Hell hath no hold on a warrior’s mind, see how the snow has made each of us blind. Vibrant colors spray from new dead, staining the earth such a beautiful red."
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    All my upvotes. All of them.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    @Moirean: I wholeheartedly agree.

I would love it if firstaid was fleshed out to take the entirety of the Survival skill set. I've always thought that combat should be about your tactical decisions to determine your survivability as opposed to how it is now where it's largely dependent on your coding ability on top of everything else.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    MalokAlastair