Class Viability pt. 3

KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
Hey folks!

Been a while since we've done one of these, and the game has gone through a lot of changes. Renew is gone, fitness is available to all, and we also have a good few more mirror classes out in the open. So it's time for a survey!

This survey is just a short questionnaire asking you to give your thoughts on the viability of each class in the game, and where they stand compared to others. There's also an optional written part at the end where you can write anything you'd like to say about combat in general or classes in specific. Any submitted answers are anonymous!

If you have a moment or two, feel free to answer them and submit away. I generally like to use these surveys as potential avenues to investigate for improvement.

Click here for the form.

You will need to sign into a Google account just so that we can limit responses to one per person.

Like before, once I close the form I will tally up the score and post them for everyone to see.

The old threads you can find here, if you're curious:

Class Viability pt. 2
Class Viability pt. 1

Thank you!
SeurimasValorie

Comments

• Keroc said:

Bard (solo) sits far at the bottom of the tier list, the most new class of the game. This is a somewhat common trend when it comes to new classes, as both Archivist and Zealot went through similiar feelings on their release. Perhaps there is more weight to the opinion this time, as it is neutral and accessible to all.

As someone who has put a lot of work into Bard and enjoys it quite a lot, I will just say they feel like a class that is just a couple minor tweaks away from being "good". I don't necessarily even know what those tweaks would be, though I have a few ideas. If they get basically anything of substance from the next Classleads round, I'd say it's a coin flip whether they end up as A-tier or S-tier.

C-tier seems very appropriate for them right now, though. Definitely better than the level 200s, but that's about it!
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
    Haleth
  • Seurimas said:

Keroc said:

Bard (solo) sits far at the bottom of the tier list, the most new class of the game. This is a somewhat common trend when it comes to new classes, as both Archivist and Zealot went through similiar feelings on their release. Perhaps there is more weight to the opinion this time, as it is neutral and accessible to all.

As someone who has put a lot of work into Bard and enjoys it quite a lot, I will just say they feel like a class that is just a couple minor tweaks away from being "good". I don't necessarily even know what those tweaks would be, though I have a few ideas. If they get basically anything of substance from the next Classleads round, I'd say it's a coin flip whether they end up as A-tier or S-tier.

C-tier seems very appropriate for them right now, though. Definitely better than the level 200s, but that's about it!
    I think about the same of it. When I was barding a lot, it felt competitive other than the extent to which someone could turtle against it once things get bad - specifically by changing elevation. I had more time-outs as bard than any other class I've played, and a lot of it was because of sheer swing up/fly spam.

If bard had vertigo or something I'd be pretty happy with it, I think. Maybe I would run into some other issues as people got more familiar with defending it, but it felt mostly good.

It was definitely a very fun class, because of the complexity. It just didn't feel like the reward matched the difficulty when you could just bail at any point with fly.
    Seurimas
  • Imo, Syssin, Sciomancer, Ascendril and Luminary/EC are probably the top 4 classes that are sleeper A+ or S tier. I'd put Tidesage/Teradrim in here too but that class' strength seems a lot more obvious than the others. I just think their current unpopularity adds to this perception. We saw this last round regarding Zealots, and even following a round of significant nerfs they still ended up being one of if not the most powerful class in the game.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • Sheryni said:

Seurimas said:

Keroc said:

I think about the same of it. When I was barding a lot, it felt competitive other than the extent to which someone could turtle against it once things get bad - specifically by changing elevation. I had more time-outs as bard than any other class I've played, and a lot of it was because of sheer swing up/fly spam.

If bard had vertigo or something I'd be pretty happy with it, I think. Maybe I would run into some other issues as people got more familiar with defending it, but it felt mostly good.

It was definitely a very fun class, because of the complexity. It just didn't feel like the reward matched the difficulty when you could just bail at any point with fly.
    Does exhaustion stop racial flights or was that just weariness? Bard does have access to both, although they're hard to buffer in the normal flow of Bard combat.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
  • edited January 2023
    Seurimas said:

Sheryni said:

Seurimas said:

Keroc said:

Does exhaustion stop racial flights or was that just weariness? Bard does have access to both, although they're hard to buffer in the normal flow of Bard combat.
    Neither of those stop at least artifact flight. I never checked if the racial was different, but as far as I'm aware bard has no affliction to stop at least artifact flight. I'd be happy if weariness did it. At least it'd be something.