Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

Comments

• edited June 2022
    @Nipsy: I have no problem with the pk. Aya has earned it. Just the AFK issue I had. You knew I wasn't at the keyboard, you gave me the rose and I never responded. You took advantage of the situation, that is my problem. And Nipsy, you are right. From an IC perspective, yes, Nipsy has never been any of those things. But not everything has to be decided from an IC perspective. I would hope that when you notice someone is afk, you don't just run into the adjacent room and sing oblivion. It isn't bad from an IC perspective, but, *in my opinion*, it is bad etiquette from an OOC one. That's just me though, it seems.

@Akrios: I am in no way trying to guilt him. My kids are my kids. However, when the argument is: Your fault for being afk... yes, it is. But something more important than aetolia came up. And clearly you have never dealt with a severely autistic child. I hear glass break, and again, I'm not thinking of aetolia, or disconnecting. I am thinking 'oh shit, has he hurt his sister again.' But you're right, I should focus on aetolia first and THEN see what is going on. How could I be so stupid?

Honestly, I wouldn't care if this didn't happen most every time I have to go afk. Even if I'm in the city. And then (not from nipsy) I hear bitching when I start going afk at the flame because 'no fair, we can't go there without dying'. I'm not a good pker. Most anyone can kill me even at keyboard. This waiting for people to go afk to attack is just bad sportsmanship. Even if I was afk just to watch a show while I idle doing nothing. I don't get it. I did it ONCE to Borm and I got so berated by shadow for attacking someone afk (they didn't even mention that it was in bloodloch, that part was IC) but when all your friends do the same thing, well, it's your fault for being afk. And they were right. I was an asshole to attack someone afk. And I've never done it since.
    Iazamat
  • edited June 2022
    Now you're trying to argue something I never said.

I said, very clearly, if you care about dying then you should take the literally half-second it takes to close off Aetolia. Which you can do in the process of getting out of your chair or whatever.

And yes, you are trying to guilt him by saying he "took advantage" of something (rather important) he had zero knowledge of. People afk for all sorts of reasons; how would anybody differentiate this from someone simply alt tabbing for 30s to look up a youtube video? Should we just not do anything whatsoever to someone who isn't immediately answering us? Should we send them tells asking if we can come pk them, when they're being antagonistic (and thus give them ample time to just go hide on guards)?

Also yes, absolutely everything should be decided from an IC perspective. That is literally the purpose of it being an RP game.
    IllikaalTetchtaIazamatXeniaSibattiProcyon
  • edited June 2022
    Ayastia said:

Even if I'm in the city. And then (not from nipsy) I hear bitching when I start going afk at the flame because 'no fair, we can't go there without dying'.

I dunno, if you've fired off another Ayastia shout or done SOMETHING to make those people angry IG then go off to afk at flame, I'd say their complaints are pretty justified? It's really too bad about the RL stuff you have to deal with, that's not something you can shrug off. The other side doesn't know that, neither do they necessarily need to know.

Life is hard, we get that. Probably easier not to let what's said get to you if you know you have a valid reason for not being able to engage - and if you happened to go afk when you've started something that absolutely will stir the other side up, they're reasonably not gonna be happy about it. Maybe it's time to rethink whether playing your character the way you do is the thing for you if this is bothering you this much/your family needs stop you from responding in a timely fashion in a RPK game. Ayastia can be nice enough to the people she likes, and character is a fluid thing.

EDIT: typo.
    IllikaalIazamatXenia
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Why does this all feel strangely familiar.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    AyastiaLin
  • edited June 2022
    I agree @Galilei. I think the main issue though is like she will say something, it be quiet for 2 or 3 rl days, and then this. Can't be on guard all the time. I dunno. Like I have no problem if someone just comes and kicks my ass. Almol does it constantly and I don't bitch about it. I've just never found it good etiquette to wait until someone is afk. I get the character not having honor but to me it just stinks of 'its what my character would do'. But I can see I am in the minority on this so I will drop it.

@Akrios: there is no attempt to guilt. The mention of my kids was an explanation of: your fault for being afk. And I understand perfectly what you said. I get what you said. What I am telling you is when you have a son who has hurt his sister before, you hear glass break, you are up and gone. You are NOT stopping for that half second it takes to close out aetolia because it is suddenly not on your mind. And it shouldn't be. Though you are right. People afk for different reasons. I was simply stating my reason for the rhetoric of 'your fault for being afk'. Which is to say I didn't really have a choice. I do not try and manipulate people. Do not accuse me of that bullshit. Disagree with my views all you want. Disagree with my arguments. But don't accuse me of manipulation. And one last thing before I drop all this: I disagree. Some things should not be decided solely on an ic basis. Is this one of them. Maybe not. After having a nap it's not something that has me frustrated anymore. But you most certainly take some ooc things into context before making ic decisions. There are some very dark themes in this game that can cause triggering effects on players, and you do not get to do it anyways because 'it is ic'. That is a terrible way of looking at it.
    Iazamat
  • edited June 2022
    I didn't say manipulate; stop twisting my words, thanks. I said guilt. Which you absolutely did try, with this comment right here.
    Because I have kids. One is not neurotypical. So if something happens, I don't think to QQ. And taking advantage of that shit is just... it is shitty gaming etiquette.
    The only thing he "took advantage of" was you being in an open spot. Don't care if you agree or not, this right here as an attempt to guilt someone into feeling bad for doing something, as though he's some kind of psychic who knows what you're doing all the time.

It's not shitty gaming etiquette. It's Nipsy playing a character, and you having a whinge that he did something you didn't like/agree with. The "terrible way of looking at it" are those who can't divorce themselves from their character, when deciding how their character's going to act. Nipsy's a great RPer for being able to do that very well.
    Iazamat
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    Killing someone while they're afk is like killing someone in their sleep. AKA in a world of unmitigated violence it's a pretty normal way to ensure a victory. That said it's never easy to know-know if someone's AFK. I tried to reave Meltas once when I thought he was afk and he was like "no."

People who want a kill (especially from a person who's notorious for shouting from behind locked doors in a city while on top of monoliths) are gonna do what they can to secure the kill; fair play in RPK especially is a tall ask, if the path to victory is "enter one command while they're not paying attention." I get that it might smack a little of meta planning (it does, but it doesn't; throughout history there's tons of examples of battles and wars being won because a strategist banked on catching their enemy with their pants down), but I dunno, it's so easy to avoid being PKed while AFK that I don't really mind it.

IazamatTeramasceNipsy
  • edited June 2022
    @Tetchta you know... I'll be honest. Never really looked at it like that. I still think there are better ways to do it but... yeah ok. I can get behind that.

@akrios: trying to guilt someone is trying to manipulate them... using guilt to try and change their feelings.... it's the same thing... They are not synonymous but guilt is a tool of manipulation. We might just be arguing semantics here
    Also, and, like, man idk I just have to say this: as a parent, if I hear breaking glass in my home, the last thing I'm going to care about is whether or not I got killed in a text game. Least of all if it's @Nipsy. Simply point out that he's short and u win.

AyastiaNipsyTeani
  • edited June 2022
    Tetchta said:

Also, and, like, man idk I just have to say this: as a parent, if I hear breaking glass in my home, the last thing I'm going to care about is whether or not I got killed in a text game. Least of all if it's @Nipsy. Simply point out that he's short and u win.

Oh trust me, didn't know or care until I saw he just threw his glass and plate because he wasn't happy with what I made him. Wanted a grilled cheese instead of Mac and cheese (my bad kid. You just said cheese lol) once I cleaned that up and started getting the grilled cheese ready, that's when I checked. I have no doubt the stress of the situation was in part why I came here. God knows it isn't the first time he did it but it never quite struck me like yesterday.

Can't really do the short thing though... Aya is a gnome xD

@Nipsy: sorry for flipping off the handle termite brain. You know I like you for the most part oocly. What Gal said was true: my problems are not your own. Stress got to me but it was no excuse
    Nipsy
  • NipsyNipsy Setting fire to Aeryx's mine
    edited June 2022
    @Ayastia you're good, I understand your frustrations OOC, but in the same vein like...its just a game. Your IRL is WAY more important and ensuring your kids are safe and healthy.
    I understand this well enough, closing the game, not closing the game, QQ'ing, none of this is relevant. At the end of the day, this is all just words on a screen. Family and Self first.

Next time Nipsy has a curse that teleports and stuns him for 60 seconds (It will happen), you can come be one of the people in the 37 kill, killstreak who killed me.
    I really wont mind. I may have lost a level and a half that time, but literally all I do is hunt lately, and I've gained back six levels since then. Loss is negligible.
    Ayastia
  • edited June 2022
    Yeah I mean, everything I lost was recouped in about 20 minutes of fishing so... not really a big deal in the end of things...

Edit: And thank you.
  • It's like hacky sack when it goes up in the middle ok.
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."
    NipsyLegynZeheiaRijetta
  • ZeheiaZeheia Immortal
    Legyn said:

You know when you're RPing or talking with someone, and there's kind of a lull, and you're not sure if you should be doing something, or if you should wait in case someone is writing a long emote, or if someone's gone to eat something, or if the conversation is just over?

Why does this happen all the time!?!?!?!?

Just imagine how much more fun this is as the divine in the room.
    She/her but also responds to they/them thanks to chilling as Somebody or other.

If in doubt, please refer to the Forum Rules! If in more doubt, please reach out to a moderator.

Act as you would wish to be treated.

"It costs you nothing to assume that we are acting in good faith."
    EliadonNipsyRijettaLegynProcyon
    edited June 2022
    People calling folk OOC bullies for raiding cities. Like good freakin' grief, y'all're why folk balk at meaningful conflict in this game. I can't think of a more "who gives a crap" form of conflict than raiding. If it bugs you that much, CTOFF and don't read logs. QQ if something so pedestrian is ruining your online time.

Just overall stop calling people bullies/toxic for engaging with core mechanics of the game.

KurakIazamatNipsyBulrokSeurimas
  • Tetchta said:

Players unable to handle conflict in any form and abuse other players as outlets for their frustration.

Not only should people be willing to QQ if they're willing to be this toxic/vitriolic over game conflict, but they should also be willing to quit their orgs to preserve their play experience if they can't function within a conflict-based game world. Something that would be easier for people if the ylem bonuses were separated from cities, but something we should be putting on the table as an option regardless, especially since there's often a false assumption that you're "obligated" to defend your org in these conflict-based instances and that doesn't seem to be disappearing anytime soon.
    TetchtaTeramasce
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    Legyn said:

You know when you're RPing or talking with someone, and there's kind of a lull, and you're not sure if you should be doing something, or if you should wait in case someone is writing a long emote, or if someone's gone to eat something, or if the conversation is just over?

Why does this happen all the time!?!?!?!?

If it helps your anxiety, I was absolutely like "omg doesn't he know it's his turn?" And I will be every time. (:
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
  • Tetchta said:

People calling folk OOC bullies for raiding cities. Like good freakin' grief, y'all're why folk balk at meaningful conflict in this game. I can't think of a more "who gives a crap" form of conflict than raiding. If it bugs you that much, CTOFF and don't read logs. QQ if something so pedestrian is ruining your online time.

Just overall stop calling people bullies/toxic for engaging with core mechanics of the game.

I think the issue is everyone was just kinda expecting things to be chill, in the morning anyways, while Father's Day stuff was being done. I mean it's frustrating to log in and see that kind of stuff going down when you can't be on but the name-calling... just don't be surprised if Aya starts topping random undeads to the Flame xD
    NipsyKurakEhtiasIazamatRijetta
  • NipsyNipsy Setting fire to Aeryx's mine
    Ayastia said:

Tetchta said:

I think the issue is everyone was just kinda expecting things to be chill, in the morning anyways, while Father's Day stuff was being done. I mean it's frustrating to log in and see that kind of stuff going down when you can't be on but the name-calling... just don't be surprised if Aya starts topping random undeads to the Flame xD
    This loops back about three posts...

IRL things -should not- be used as a shield in an IC context. If you are logged in you are part of the IC world.
    IazamatGalileiSeurimasTeani
  • edited June 2022
    @Nipsy Not saying it was wrong. Just frustrating to log into hours later. Not saying any of you did a bad.
  • Ayastia said:

Tetchta said:

What name calling???? Maybe I was hazy pre-coffee, but I do not remember seeing...that.

Everyone complained about lack of conflict and conflict cause was handed to everyone on a silver platter. It is disheartening to see people ooc complaining in other discords about a very much ig really not that big of a deal conflict.
    IazamatBulrok
  • ZeheiaZeheia Immortal
    I think this particular topic is exhausting itself. While it's frustrating when out-of-character problems cannot be prevented, nobody can predict when this might be what happened. If you are in the game, unfortunately consequences will happen whether you are able to see them or not. (I should know, my kids drag me away when I'm in the middle of RP sometimes.) All you can do when the real world interferes is muddle through it gracefully if you cannot log out for safety.

I'm sorry that you had a frustrating day, Ayastia, but this thread needs to return to the main topic now.
    She/her but also responds to they/them thanks to chilling as Somebody or other.

If in doubt, please refer to the Forum Rules! If in more doubt, please reach out to a moderator.

Act as you would wish to be treated.

"It costs you nothing to assume that we are acting in good faith."
    NipsyKurakAyastia
  • Oh geeze I'm truly sorry and that's not sarcasm. I think I worded it wrong. I didn't mean frustrating as rage. Just... I guess annoying is a better word. I'm sorry everyone I really wasn't complaining this time. I was just saying what I think the reason was BUT no need for name calling. Nobody did a bad! Raiding is a part of the game
  • edited June 2022
    I absolutely hate how, with Severn not having a formal Order and defilement aura being Order-specific, Severn's shrines have become free game for people to take down to piss off and upset Shadow people (specifically Spines) without any fear of legal PK retaliation. Not just in this current conflict - this has been going on since the Bama betrayal, and I have -literally- seen people mention that there's no order to stop them or put the shrines back so they're an easy blow.

Edit: yes there's a mechanic to erect them now (after mass dusting with the reasoning stated above), but that still doesn't confer PK cause because the people able to do it still aren't His order and the rules are very specific and clear on defilement cause.
    The Divine voice of Ictinus, the Architect echoes in your head, "I think you are cursed."
    Nipsy
  • Bama's order has pk claim if we were to care to claim it. just as an FYI
    Toz says, "Dishonor on you (Mjoll), dishonor on your family (Seirath), dishonor on your cow (Bulrok)"
    NipsyLenoriel
  • If any Syssin or Spirean jumps me with Severn aura, I would personally give them a pass. I really don't care that much, so long as they are explicit with me about it and they aren't some incredibly notable representative of another order (and even then, I might still)

Bamathis' order has always had PK because Severn's kind of part of Bamathis' order, they merged orders when Severn took on the role of Spymaster.
    MjollNipsy
  • Mjoll said:

Bama's order has pk claim if we were to care to claim it. just as an FYI

I wasn't aware. Appreciate it - that does help.
    The Divine voice of Ictinus, the Architect echoes in your head, "I think you are cursed."
  • Lenoriel said:

I absolutely hate how, with Severn not having a formal Order and defilement aura being Order-specific, Severn's shrines have become free game for people to take down to piss off and upset Shadow people (specifically Spines) without any fear of legal PK retaliation. Not just in this current conflict - this has been going on since the Bama betrayal, and I have -literally- seen people mention that there's no order to stop them or put the shrines back so they're an easy blow.

Edit: yes there's a mechanic to erect them now (after mass dusting with the reasoning stated above), but that still doesn't confer PK cause because the people able to do it still aren't His order and the rules are very specific and clear on defilement cause.

In an event like this, I don't see why it's not okay to attack the people going after Severn's shrines. Are people issuing and playing rule lawyer to avoid story consequences and interactions in a Spinesreach vs. Duiran event?

If so that seems like an oversight and counter productive to creating story for people to engage in.