Aetolia After Dark: A new, immersive Aetolia UI meant to make your game more exciting

TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
edited February 2022 in Tech Talk
Hello! One of my pet projects/hobbies is making GUIs in Mudlet, and a few weeks ago I started a project with one goal: make Mudlet as pretty as possible. Something I always hated about using mudclients over, say, Nexus (even way back in the day of javaclient) was how much better Nexus looked compared to even the most hardcore coded systems by the most awesome people that play the game. And there's just something about that harsh black background that I find unimersive. I loved how Nexus thematically fits the MUD you're playing. So I said "screw it" and set out to make a UI that would match Nexus toe-for-toe when it came to aesthetics and immersion-building, and what I got was Aetolia After Dark:

This system builds on some ideas @Lin gave me from his system, mainly the utilization of Pulse events, which are fairly central to the structure of this system. I also just straight-up stole his map code. I think it looks pretty good, if I do say so myself. Anyway, here's what you'll get:
  • A fully-fuctional information display with hp, mana, willpower, endurance, and ylem reserves.
  • dps, exp/hour, gold/hour, and commands-per-second display
  • dynamic "who" list
  • individualized comm channels that greatly reduce mistell risk
  • a barely-useful inventory display
  • something pretty to look at for once
What is NOT included:
  • anything combat-related aside from a combat feed
  • a defense list
  • automated def-ups. I do have defups written for me, but it was well-outside the scope of this project for me to write dynamic defup code for every class
  • target calling/following
  • any autobashing
  • The world's most efficient system. I'm a creative coder, but not the best. There's definitely things that could be optimized I'm sure.
Little features I'm fond of:
Gold/Exp-per-hour dot/line graphs:

A character sheet:

TERMS OF USE:
You might have noticed that most of the assets are modifications from the video game Diablo. I did this without any legal concerns because I was just making it for myself, but now that I'm giving it to y'all, you probalby shouldn't be trying to profit from its distribution or you'll get destroyed legally. Otherwise, use is completely free. Modify at your own risk, I'm offering minimal support, if any. There's also a folder of fonts you'll want to install before running it.

THINGS TO BE AWARE OF:
At the very top there's a "GUI Options" script that's pretty small. This is something you'll want to take a look at upon opening, as it is how the WHO list is populated. I could have automated it, but that would've been a lot harder. In order to customized it to your character, you'll have to follow the instructions in the file. And if you have the death location relic for deathsight, there's an option to enable that in the deathsight window display. edit: lol of course because I added this last minute, it's slightly broken. If you want to turn it on, you have to navigate to Template ->GUI->Right Panel Stuff->deathsight and delete the "local" before "death_location". That should fix it.

READ THE README

You'll want to run "startup config" upon installation to get your configs right, and the system does require one (1) restart in order to make sure all the colors and fonts are working correctly.

I may update this UI with more features in the future (like clicky noises when buttons are clicked), but at the moment this is the release, bugs and all (though I've done my very best to make it as class/character agnostic as possible.) For the more visually-inclined, here's a video featuring some more of the features in action:

SPECIAL NOTES:
  • You MUST have Mudlet 4.11.2 or higher installed for it to work. It uses several features exclusive to this version and higher. If you do not update Mudlet, it'll freak the heck out.
  • the UI scales fairly well to most layout sizes, but will only really optimally work if your monitor dimension are at least 1650x750 if you hide the Main Toolbar. Also it's not been tested fullscreen on a 4k monitor, some of the borders may not like that.
P.S. Please be nice. This is my first thing I've ever released at large and I'm still a fairly novice coder.

BenedictoLinMjollStineRazmaelDrystinValorieIllikaalRhineArathAolinSaltzValeriaShaianAloliMaeveJulea

Comments

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    As his rubber duckie, I can attest that this UI is pretty fierce. He put a lot of effort into it and I definitely recommend giving it a shot, if you want a good starting point for your own system.
    TetchtaTaiyang
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Denied.

TetchtaLinDrystinSryaenIllikaal
  • edited April 2021
    Hi! I downloaded this, but couldn't get it to look right. I'm sure it was user error, as it looks very impressive. Anyways, after deleting the package and restarting mudlet, everything is now off-center. There are big black borders that I've no idea how to get rid of. Would it be better to just delete this profile and make a new one?

Never mind, I got it figured out!
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    edited April 2021
    It is finnicky to install, which I've tried to fix--it's also (presently) not linux/mac compliant, which is an issue. I might release an update in the coming weeks to fix those issues. Also it's been confirmed that if you have a 4k monitor it's going to look like ass.

• Couple of minor issues I'm having - I can't get the character sheet to pop-up and the channel name doesn't show up for the chat tabber. None of the miniconsoles seem to wrap text right either. Not game-breaking but was wondering if this is an issue that's been encountered/fixed by anyone else before?

I tried self-fixing it in the code, but everything seemed set up right and I'm not super familiar with Geyser stuff.

Thanks!
  • edited September 2021
    Hi! I found the fix!

For Channel Name Display:
    It looked like the width and height variables of the channel name display box were hardcoded pixel values, which get funky on some displays. It looks like using '%' values instead of 'px' values helped me:

Window Wrap:
    This one is not as graceful to fix, I created some variables the user can adjust to customize window wrap but you have to reload mudlet for them to take:

Character Sheet:
    The character_info() func header was commented out. Uncommenting it (and the corresponding end statement) fixed it:

I've attached a version with these changes below for anyone who wants them.
    You'll have to uninstall any current version to put these in.

Technical users can probably just follow the screenshots to implement the changes themselves.

This is my first time exporting an .mpackage so use at your own risk. I offer minimal support.

@Tetchta Let me know if you'd like me to rename, remove, or relocate the attached distribution elsewhere, as they're extremely minor modifications onto your own work.

Edit: Miswrote Tetchta's handle for the tenth time this week. Fixed.
    Tetchta
    This is why I don't offer any support, y'all can just do it for me.

Ayastia
    edited January 2022
    I've uploaded a new .zip with a couple tiny fixes to the UI. It also now comes out of the box with my help popup module preinstalled. Actually it's the fixed version of it that works with any prompt--the one I uploaded in that thread is bugged and I need to update it >.>

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    @Tetchta I am curious if mudlet is usable on linux or mac, why would this UI not also be used there, if its the same base program? Like what needs to be different in the code to make it work?
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    It's a file directory thing. I think in this version I used / vs \ or something. I can't remember if I fixed it in this launch or not. I have it working with my system atm, but disintenangling that again isn't something I'm hyped about. I'll get around to fixing it at some point.

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Tetchta said:

It's a file directory thing. I think in this version I used / vs \ or something. I can't remember if I fixed it in this launch or not. I have it working with my system atm, but disintenangling that again isn't something I'm hyped about. I'll get around to fixing it at some point.

ah gotcha! I see how that can be an issue, thanks, I was very curious.
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • The only question I have is can this GUI be integrated to overwrite sunders like some hybrid monstrosity? I am guessing delete sunders gui folder and install this but I am worried about conflicts 
    edited February 2022
    New updated version up, with only a slight change. I forgot to have a GMCP request that made the help grabber work.

Aloli
  • Hi! Where can this be downloaded from?